#1 Edited by tallTuck94 (553 posts) -

Sony at Gamescom just announced a cross play feature between the vita and ps3 which from what they showed pretty much does the same thing as the Wii U.

I can't see Sony supporting Crossplay in the same way Nintendo will support it's console there is a bonus of having a vita instead of an otherwise useless wii tablet.

My question is whether this has any affect on Nintendo? Will it challenge them at all?

It's not like Nintendo has a great relationship with third party developers compared to Sony.

Also bloody Wonderbooks man, it makes me depressed.

#2 Posted by Zacagawea (1594 posts) -

A 250 dollar controller + 250 dollar system that is going away in a year. Yeah, really going to fuck up Nintendo.

#3 Posted by Jack268 (3387 posts) -

If Sony doesn't make a PS4 then yeah this might do something 
 
But I know for sure I would not buy a $250 controller.

#4 Posted by Hailinel (24867 posts) -

This is hardly the first time that Sony has jumped on a bandwagon that Nintendo built. It's not surprising to see them do this. But while the Wii U actually comes with a tablet controller, you have to buy a Vita separately from the PS3, and the rate of support on optional peripherals is always vastly lower than the rate of support on controllers actually packaged with the console.

#5 Posted by LiquidPrince (15952 posts) -

@Zacagawea: @Jack268: Except that buying a Vita, you actually have a functional game console and not just a controller.

#6 Posted by tallTuck94 (553 posts) -

@Hailinel: But the wii's tablet doesn't do anything outside of the console and the vita is growing, albeit slowly.

I'm not putting forward that this will completely challenge Nintendo but I think if supported right it could make Wii U pointless to certain people, namely Sony fans. Whether they would buy a Wii U in the first place I couldn't say.

#7 Posted by Hailinel (24867 posts) -

@tallTuck94 said:

@Hailinel: But the wii's tablet doesn't do anything outside of the console and the vita is growing, albeit slowly.

I'm not putting forward that this will completely challenge Nintendo but I think if supported right it could make Wii U pointless to certain people, namely Sony fans. Whether they would buy a Wii U in the first place I couldn't say.

That's not a factor.

Every Wii U comes with a tablet. It can be reasonably expected that any developer worth their salt will find ways to use its functions where and when appropriate, because it will be an option for everyone that owns the console.

Such is not the case for PS3/Vita crossplay. Developers cannot be assured that people that buy their game will have both a PS3 and a Vita. It is therefore not in their best interests to develop games that are dependent on the feature, because by doing that they are limiting the potential scope of their audience to only those people that own both pieces of hardware.

#8 Posted by Gaff (1758 posts) -

@tallTuck94 said:

Sony at Gamescom just announced a cross play feature between the vita and ps3 which from what they showed pretty much does the same thing as the Wii U.

I can't see Sony supporting Crossplay in the same way Nintendo will support it's console there is a bonus of having a vita instead of an otherwise useless wii tablet.

My question is whether this has any affect on Nintendo? Will it challenge them at all?

It's not like Nintendo has a great relationship with third party developers compared to Sony.

Also bloody Wonderbooks man, it makes me depressed.

If we're talking about Cross Buy: I think you may have misunderstood what it means.

From what I've gathered, Cross Buy means that if you buy the PS3 version of a game (for example All Stars, the new Sly Cooper, or the new Ratchet & Clank) you get the Vita port, a stand-alone product, for free.

The Wii U as far as I know requires the main console to be on at whenever you want to use the tablet. Switch it off and you can't play anything on the tablet.

#9 Posted by tallTuck94 (553 posts) -

@Gaff: No i'm talking about crossplay. They did a whole demo of a guy playing LittleBigPlanet with the vita using it as a second screen and controller.

#10 Posted by Bane122 (790 posts) -

Exactly as others have said, with Vitas being a separate thing this doesn't really matter to Nintendo right now.

#11 Posted by c_rakestraw (853 posts) -

I first read the thread title as "Playstations cosplay as Wii U." Was very confused for a second there.

Anyways, nah -- doubt PlayStation Crossplay will give the Wii U much competition. Taking the having to buy a $250 hand-held platform factor out of the equation (that's gonna keep it from being widely adopted, I imagine), there just doesn't seem much point in using a Vita to control a PS3 game. Unless the functionality is crucial -- which I highly doubt since that would severely limit their games' audience -- you might as well keep using a regular ol' dualshock instead.

#12 Posted by AngelN7 (2970 posts) -

They're not even the same thing the Vita is a working handheld the Wii U controller is just that a controller with a touch screen is not even a tablet.

#13 Posted by Fire_Of_The_Wind (170 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

This is hardly the first time that Sony has jumped on a bandwagon that Nintendo built. It's not surprising to see them do this. But while the Wii U actually comes with a tablet controller, you have to buy a Vita separately from the PS3, and the rate of support on optional peripherals is always vastly lower than the rate of support on controllers actually packaged with the console.

Actually Sony had the idea of cross play between the PSP to the PS3 back in 2007. They had a tech demo of an F1 game and you could use the PSP as a rear view mirror, unfortunately it was taken out before the game was released and nothing came of this concept.

#14 Posted by BlackLagoon (1436 posts) -

One thing is that the PS3/Vita combo will open to everyone to use in their LittleBigPlanet levels, it'll be interesting to see what comes out of that given how some LBP users have done absolutely astounding and unexpected things with the tools already there.