Please correct your grammar.

• 132 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

McBobbyFresh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By McBobbyFresh

I've been unable to sleep these past few days. In the absence of rest I've been carousing the internet. I've noticed a lot of sites having news stories filled with simple grammar mistakes. Normally the mistakes are so simple that i ignored them and kept on reading. Lately though the amount of mistakes has risen and it is really starting to bother me. I feel there is no reason for these simple mistakes to be present. It is the journalists job to proof-read their articles because they are the most frequent users of the English language. I really only want one thing. I want Giant Bomb to be the one site without these mistakes. This would earn more respect from me to a site that i already respect the most. Example: Taken from the uDraw article by Patrick Klepek "At aged two and four this proved to be the best game from our selection and he kids happily took turns and played with it,". Now to be honest, he was quoting another person there. My problem is simply adding a "t" to "he" would of been easy and stuck out even though i was enjoying the article. I wouldn't of normally been bothered by this if i had not kept reading and found another mistake in the next sentence. Same article:"In fact they have been playing at at every opportunity since." This has been happening a lot recently at Giant Bomb and even fellow site Tested. Please correctly proof read so these sites can continue being the best sites on the internet.

[Update 2/24/12] There has been one misunderstanding. I'm talking about a lot of small mistakes happening that can easily be fixed. I'm not really talking about overall grammar. As some of y'all have pointed out "Please correct you're typos" would of been a better title. There are a lot of typos happening on the internet that ruin the flow of the articles.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By MikkaQ

Those aren't grammatical errors, they're typos at best, spelling mistakes at worst.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By mordukai

Take your own goddamn advice and use paragraphs. You fucking hypocrite.

I really only want one thing. I want Giant Bomb to be the one site without these mistakes. This would earn more respect from me to a site that i already respect the most.

Who the fuck do you think you are? GO AWAY!

EDIT:

"Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe."
Bwast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4  Edited By Bwast

Jawohl mein kommandant!

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By toowalrus

"I" is supposed to be capitalized, dawg.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By Dany

@McBobbyFresh said:

...normally the mistakes are so simple that i ignored them and kept on reading...

Please correct your grammar.

Avatar image for tim_the_corsair
tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By tim_the_corsair

Why, what's she do wrong?

cinemandrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By cinemandrew

@McBobbyFresh said:

I wouldn't of normally been bothered by this

You wouldn't have normally been bothered by this. =P

I agree that grammar, and spelling are very important. The bigger issue, is that you have a ton of sites out there that are "staffed" by amateurs. You don't need a degree, or even a high school diploma to start a blog. Giant Bomb is run by professionals, with tons of experience. The specific points you're bringing up should be corrected, but they're minor typos. Everybody makes an occasional mistake, and I think it's mostly a result of the writer trying to get the story out to the readers quickly.

monkey523

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By monkey523

@McBobbyFresh said:

Normally the mistakes are so simple that i ignored them and kept on reading.

"are" is in present tense. "ignored" and "kept" are in past tense. you should correct your grammar. sir.

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By OllyOxenFree

I'd go ahead and go through all of the OP's mistakes but EH. EH!

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#11  Edited By Little_Socrates

It was a direct quote. It could use a [sic] in there, maybe, but that would feel weird on GB. There are occasionally grammatical mistakes (and, lord knows, the comments section makes sure they disappear pretty quickly) but this is not an opportunity to complain.

WickedFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By WickedFather

Yaya! Troll; is it my favourite one returned? If so I've missed you.

frankxiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By frankxiv

"you're" grammar

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By BraveToaster

Don't fall for this shit, guys. Just flag the thread and let a mod handle it.

LiquidSwords

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By LiquidSwords

@McBobbyFresh said:

I've been unable to sleep these past few days. In the absence of rest I've been carousing the internet. I've noticed a lot of sites having news stories filled with simple grammar mistakes. Normally the mistakes are so simple that i ignored them and kept on reading. Lately though the amount of mistakes has risen and it is really starting to bother me. I feel there is no reason for these simple mistakes to be present. It is the journalists job to proof-read their articles because they are the most frequent users of the English language. I really only want one thing. I want Giant Bomb to be the one site without these mistakes. This would earn more respect from me to a site that i already respect the most. Example: Taken from the uDraw article by Patrick Klepek "At aged two and four this proved to be the best game from our selection and he kids happily took turns and played with it,". Now to be honest, he was quoting another person there. My problem is simply adding a "t" to "he" would of been easy and stuck out even though i was enjoying the article. I wouldn't of normally been bothered by this if i had not kept reading and found another mistake in the next sentence. Same article:"In fact they have been playing at at every opportunity since." This has been happening a lot recently at Giant Bomb and even fellow site Tested. Please correctly proof read so these sites can continue being the best sites on the internet.

No Caption Provided
McBobbyFresh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By McBobbyFresh

@cinemandrew: It's crazy how only a few people may try to have a civilized conversation while the rest are just assholes. I just want less typos. Is that really so hard to ask?

Sgykah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Sgykah

@onimonkii said:

"you're" grammar

i think he meant "yore" grammar

McBobbyFresh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By McBobbyFresh

Damn. Did nobody read how I love the site? Instead I get corrections and plenty of trolling. How about reading the topic as a whole? After that reply with an actual comment. Half these replies are just bullshit guys. Can we have a civilized conversation or is that too much to ask from the internet as a whole?

The grammar and typos are not the end of the world. I'm just seeing it so often that it's beginning to get old.

McBobbyFresh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By McBobbyFresh

@cinemandrew: I wholly agree.

hugh_jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By hugh_jazz

@Sgykah said:

@onimonkii said:

"you're" grammar

i think he meant "yore" grammar

you're grammer

LiquidSwords

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By LiquidSwords

@McBobbyFresh said:

The grammar and typos are not the end of the world.

The why make a thread about it?

McBobbyFresh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By McBobbyFresh

@Hugh_Jazz: I'm not the one getting paid to write stories so why are you pointing out?

prestonhedges

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By prestonhedges

@LiquidSwords said:

@McBobbyFresh said:

The grammar and typos are not the end of the world.

The why make a thread about it?

Are internet forum threads only reserved for world-ending catastrophes? 'Cause then they'd all be "Am I the only one who's sad the world's ending???" and that ain't the case.

McBobbyFresh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By McBobbyFresh

@LiquidSwords: I just wanted to see how other people felt. This is a place for conversation right? Does it have to be the most prolific or devastating thing for me to make a thread? Now i see that other people just think i'm an asshole and conversation skills have been ignored. I guess i should apologize for pointing something out that could be improved slightly. Sorry.

McBobbyFresh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By McBobbyFresh

@gladspooky: Thank you for actually understanding.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By mordukai

@McBobbyFresh: So because you don't do this on a professional level then somehow the rules that you adamantly trying to uphold don't apply to you?

McBobbyFresh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By McBobbyFresh

@Mordukai: The rules apply. But... If you look back through the thread I've become the conversation piece. Everyone felt necessary to point out my mistakes. So i ask you. When i start a thread asking people a question, do i need to be corrected and in the process lose the focus of the thread?

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By mordukai

@McBobbyFresh: Yes. If you can't understand why it was needed then maybe you just need to stop complaining about it.

LiquidSwords

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By LiquidSwords

@McBobbyFresh said:

@LiquidSwords: I just wanted to see how other people felt. This is a place for conversation right? Does it have to be the most prolific or devastating thing for me to make a thread? Now i see that other people just think i'm an asshole and conversation skills have been ignored. I guess i should apologize for pointing something out that could be improved slightly. Sorry.

They are doing fine without your help and you should apologize.

McBobbyFresh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By McBobbyFresh

@Mordukai: I guess i also would say Giantbomb's articles are viewed by thousands of people. My thread will be lucky when viewed by fifty. So do i really need to be corrected or can we talk about how typos seem to be cropping up all over major sites?

Ocean_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Ocean_H

Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit.

McBobbyFresh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By McBobbyFresh

@LiquidSwords: Tell me why i should apologize for a simple statement. If you give me a good reason then I will. (I respect and admire them a lot by the way)

McBobbyFresh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By McBobbyFresh

@Ocean_H: lol

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By mordukai

@McBobbyFresh: Again, YES! It doesn't matter if it's an article or a thread. It doesn't recuse you from making the same mistakes you are complaining about.

McBobbyFresh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By McBobbyFresh

@Mordukai: But my mistakes are not the topic. So... Why?

dtat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#36  Edited By dtat

@McBobbyFresh: I agree with you completely. You are about to be ripped apart for pointing this out though.

McBobbyFresh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By McBobbyFresh

@Mordukai: Did my mistakes make it harder to read? The typos i'm talking about ruin the flow of the article. Have you taken any English classes recently?

amazinglover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#38  Edited By amazinglover

@McBobbyFresh: I think you're expecting too much the English language is the most complicated one out there with tons of rules that make know sense. Also on a side note not against you specifically but if you're going to rant about something you don't like don't do that exact thing in your rant.

P.S. English major and even I don't understand or use it correctly. There's so many rules which depending on whether it's written or spoken that changes if a sentence is correct or not.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Branthog

@McBobbyFresh said:

Welcome to modern journalism. Professional journalists (especially on the internet, but elsewhere, too) often have little or no editorial review before their content is published. It's a line publishers can cross off in the budget and either just count on self-policing (difficult to do on your own material, which is the entire point of proof-readers) or just count on not giving a fuck. After all, it's not as much the quality of what you get out; it's the speed at which you get it out. Beat the next guy to the punch and fix errors in the next post a few hours or days later when there's something new to reveal on the topic at hand. It's hard to go more than two or three articles these days (and it has been this way for a decade or two, frankly) without running into grammar or spelling that should have been caught rather quickly. You'll see gross errors on every blog and news site out there, without exception. Tech sites, syndicated news services, online versions of magazines and newspapers (and the print versions of same).

And if that bothers you, then don't even start to consider the wild inaccuracies and flat out bullshit passed off in countless articles (the Associated Press is pretty well-known to have shitty fact-checking, source-attribution, and sometimes it seems like they and others are just fucking making shit up without looking into what facts actually are). However, I'm not likely to give as much of a fuck when Joystiq or GiantBomb make these mistakes. It's less acceptable when a purported news organization that claims to bear the prestige of "professional degreed journalists" does it.

@Mordukai said:

EDIT:

"Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe."

Mordukai is illustrating an important example, here, with this almsot decade-old hoax. Less about grammar and spelling, but more about the bullshit that gets by supposed "journalists" and is reported as "real news" because they don't bother to do any investigation any more, don't bother to actually fact-check, and don't bother to make sure they have a valid source (and preferably always two or more independently confirming sources) for their material. In the example Mordukai is offering, it's the supposed story about how transposing letters in words are interpreted by the brain without a problem as confirmed by a study conducted at Cambridge University. The only problem is that there was never such a study. The entire thing is a fucking hoax, but it has been reported on and passed around endlessly as a real fact. (Not to mention, there's the whole bullshit pedobear stories, the jenkem stories, and the "passing out game" stories, and the sex-coded-jelly-bracelet stories as a few more examples of the media just making shit up or buying into made up shit, rather than being journalists and doing some due diligence).

But, I digress. GiantBomb is the one place I wouldn't hold to the same standard. I mean, they don't exactly have an editorial staff. They just have some dudes who write shit and throw it up online, like every other gaming site. If they get a chance, maybe they proof-read it or have one of the others proof-read it before hitting "publish" in their CMS. If they were purporting to have a full professional editorial staff and they were all about "journalism!(tm)", then I might be more nit-picky. But they aren't.

All of that having been said, everyone should put emphasis on the importance of both how and what they're writing. Especially anyone representing themselves professionally or doing so as a business (as GiantBomb does, for example - or as a doctor writing an essay would). But, without a full editorial department and a full editorial review process (as is usually lacking in all online publishing), shit is simply going to get through. Fairly often.

McBobbyFresh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By McBobbyFresh

@amazinglover: I guess i should of added in the initial thread that it's about the mistakes that ruin the flow. Example is: My dog runs fast. My do runs fast. These mistakes usually cause you to reread the sentence.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By mordukai

@McBobbyFresh said:

I think I've just wondered into an episode of Twilight Zone.

ShadowSkill11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#42  Edited By ShadowSkill11

Why u no likes the interwebs TC. Is good. Leelu Dallas multi pass... chi-ken goo-duh.

hugh_jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By hugh_jazz

@McBobbyFresh said:

The title of the thread is "please correct your grammar", so depending on perspective your mistakes are in fact the topic.

The problem a lot of people are having is the fact that you point out things that are not grammar mistakes and call them just that. You assume that a website with a blog-formatted news section can afford to give all the time required for proofing when the most important consideration is having an article out in a timely fashion.

People generally point mistakes out in the comments section, and those mistakes are generally amended. If they're not factual errors and not even grammatical errors, who actually gives enough of a fuck to demand improvement?

[EDIT] Fixed a typo. Oh the humanity

McBobbyFresh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By McBobbyFresh

@Branthog: Wow. I really appreciate your point of view. That is the kinda answer I was looking for. Your statement gives me a renewed appreciation of what Giant Bomb is about.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Branthog

Also, I was always taught that it's impolite to correct your elders, so you just leave your grammar alone.

McBobbyFresh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By McBobbyFresh

@Hugh_Jazz: And I wrote the thread to get your type of answers. I was just looking for a way to accept and answers like yours make it easy to read on. Thumbs up.

McBobbyFresh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By McBobbyFresh

@Branthog: I now will respect my elders ;)

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By mandude

Paragraphs my friend. Capitalisation, too.

DukesT3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By DukesT3

It's the internet so fuck off. I'm not getting graded for this shit but I guess if you want to seem smart/intelligent/asshole then go ahead.

McBobbyFresh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By McBobbyFresh

@Hugh_Jazz said:

@McBobbyFresh said:

The title of the thread is "please correct your grammar", so depending on perspective your mistakes are in fact the topic.

The problem a lot of people are having is the fact that you point out things that are not grammar mistakes and call them just that. You assume that a website with a blog-formatted news section can afford to give all the time required for proofing when the most important consideration is having an article out in a timely fashion.

People generally point mistakes out in the comments section, and those mistakes are generally amended. If they're not factual errors and not even grammatical errors, who actually gives enough of a fuck to demand improvement?

[EDIT] Fixed a typo. Oh the humanity

Quick question though. Why would my physical thread become a topic when i'm writing ideas and questions? Why correct my grammar instead of giving feedback like you did in your second paragraph?