#1 Edited by Chaser324 (7812 posts) -

This is a polite request from your moderators that you please don't reply to or quote posts which are blatant spam.

Just flag spam and move on. In extreme cases, feel free to directly PM the moderators.

Look, I know spam posts can be pretty funny, just check out massively popular fake Twitter spammer Horse_ebooks if you need any evidence of that. However, by replying to these threads, you're just exposing more people to this garbage by keeping the threads at the top of the forums, and if you quote spam posts, then you're creating more work for the moderators because now we have to track down and delete two posts rather than just one. Replying to spam posts is almost as bad as actually posting spam.

So, long story short:

Flag Spam or PM the Mods About It. Don't Reply To or Quote Spam Posts/Threads.

Moderator Online
#2 Edited by mobius006 (55 posts) -

is this a test? is this spam?

#3 Posted by B0nd07 (1747 posts) -
2281093-1715525_1474568_flagthenwalk_super.jpg

#4 Edited by Chaser324 (7812 posts) -

@mobius006: No this isn't spam, but I do have some great fake birth certificates and links to pirated football streams if you're interested in purchasing them.

Like, Subscribe, and Support This Post on Youtube, Facebook, Twitter, indiegogo, Kickstarter and Steam Greenlight.

Moderator Online
#5 Posted by Fallen189 (5453 posts) -

If karma fixing worked as intended, people might be more willing to do this. Sorry

#6 Posted by Chaser324 (7812 posts) -

@fallen189: As far as I know, most of the bugs in the karma system have been resolved.

If you do reach a karma level of 5 and can no longer flag, PM the mods and we'll reset your karma.

If you can't flag or for some reason would prefer not to, you still shouldn't reply or quote spam posts.

Moderator Online
#7 Posted by Fallen189 (5453 posts) -

@fallen189: As far as I know, most of the bugs in the karma system have been resolved.

If you do reach a karma level of 5 and can no longer flag, PM the mods and we'll reset your karma.

If you can't flag or for some reason would prefer not to, you still shouldn't reply or quote spam posts.

I appreciate the karma thing is "supposed to work", but when it doesn't, it totally stinks. Sure you can just PM the mods...but whats the point? It's only going to happen again and then it's just this horrible nightmare. I know this comes across as ridiculous, but I feel like I've been trying to make this point for about 5 years now and it never sticks.

#8 Posted by ZombiePie (6634 posts) -

@chaser324 said:

I appreciate the karma thing is "supposed to work", but when it doesn't, it totally stinks. Sure you can just PM the mods...but whats the point? It's only going to happen again and then it's just this horrible nightmare. I know this comes across as ridiculous, but I feel like I've been trying to make this point for about 5 years now and it never sticks.

Because these issues are still not an excuse to use spam to just paste random images or start quote pyramids, and we have to continually remind users to not do so.

#9 Posted by benpicko (2016 posts) -

@mobius006: No this isn't spam, but I do have some great fake birth certificates and links to pirated football streams if you're interested in purchasing them.

Like, Subscribe, and Support This Post on Youtube, Facebook, Twitter, indiegogo, Kickstarter and Steam Greenlight.

quoted

#10 Edited by Nightriff (6874 posts) -

Got it!

#11 Posted by TruthTellah (9785 posts) -

So, long story short:

Flag Spam or PM the Mods About It. Don't Reply To or Quote Spam Posts/Threads.

2551018-0218293255-tumbl.gif

#12 Posted by McGhee (6128 posts) -

you guys are no fun

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
#13 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7097 posts) -

@truthtellah: Her mouth makes it look like she's saying "You got it, Doom." so I hope she's looking at, and speaking to, MF Doom.

Loading Video...

#14 Edited by Chaser324 (7812 posts) -

@mcghee:

Oh come on...we know how to have fun.

2551062-that-awkward-moment-when-you-have-to-pretend-you-know-how-to-dance_584.gif

See! Totally not awkward and very fun dancing gifs.

Moderator Online
#15 Posted by Yummylee (24639 posts) -

Innit.

#16 Edited by NekuSakuraba (7807 posts) -

Aye aye, captain!

#17 Edited by falserelic (5725 posts) -

No problem Chase....

#18 Posted by Blu3V3nom07 (4281 posts) -

Dang just.. just... Just dang.

#19 Edited by Zaccheus (1909 posts) -

I've totally made this mistake. Some of the spam is just too hilarious to walk away from... I'll try to do better in the future, I promise.

#20 Posted by McGhee (6128 posts) -

@mcghee:

Oh come on...we know how to have fun.

2551062-that-awkward-moment-when-you-have-to-pretend-you-know-how-to-dance_584.gif

See! Totally not awkward and very fun dancing gifs.

Oh all right.

#21 Edited by bigjeffrey (5282 posts) -

That was my favorite Giant Bomb Feature.

#22 Posted by BisonHero (9941 posts) -

I feel like if you're active on the forums/comments, it's pretty trivial to find about 1-3 spam/troll posts in a day, so I find my karma is maxed most of the time. I have better things to do than PM the mods every other day, so I've swung the other way more recently and find I don't care anymore. The flagging/karma system is too inconvenient for users that actually want to help, and is poorly thought out on a fundamental level.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
#23 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (6578 posts) -

Got it.

#24 Edited by Yesiamaduck (1767 posts) -

Hi

I make £1,000,000 a day on the internet, find out yourself by visiting my webpage http://www.google.com

#25 Posted by RonGalaxy (4313 posts) -

I thought they we're funny at first, then the ones talking about buying fake passports and id's popped up. Shit got serious after that

Also, I've been a user for over a year and spam seems to have started popping up within the last six months or so. What could be the cause of the recentish spam outbreak?

#26 Posted by Chaser324 (7812 posts) -

@naru_joe93: Spam is nothing new. The amount of it rises and falls over time, but I can't really offer an explanation for why.

There is at least one recent technical issue that has made it a bit easier on spammers (not sure if it's been resolved), but the total number of threads and messages popping up is still nowhere near the worst I've seen it.

Moderator Online
#27 Edited by jimmyfenix (3941 posts) -

The worst one i saw was that one Bot who could post in all of the watchdogs threads with the same post at the same time. I think it managed to post 9 Separate posts at the same time. That was a bit scary!

#28 Edited by Sweep (10025 posts) -

@b0nd07: Eurgh, back when I thought stroke was the best tool in photoshop.

#29 Posted by Chaser324 (7812 posts) -

@sweep: You managed to get some bevel action in there too.

Moderator Online
#30 Posted by Sweep (10025 posts) -

@chaser324: I should probably find the original and clean it up a bit. The original blend actually turned out pretty nice, but I fucked it up with shitty font and poor image compression. Like a bellend.

#31 Posted by GreggD (4595 posts) -

But I liked making jokes in those threads...

#33 Posted by SexyToad (2939 posts) -

@fallen189 said:

@chaser324 said:

Because these issues are still not an excuse to use spam to just paste random images or start quote pyramids, and we have to continually remind users to not do so.

Quote pyramids huh? I'll keep an eye out.

#34 Posted by pyromagnestir (4413 posts) -

I usually don't, but how can you not say "Thanks, Obama." in a spam thread about fake birth certificates? Come on!

I really liked that idea I saw in one such spam thread where we all just posted random old ass music videos. I wish that caught on.

Loading Video...

#35 Edited by GreggD (4595 posts) -
#36 Posted by AlexanderSheen (5150 posts) -

понятый!

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
#37 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (4090 posts) -

Alright. Fine have it your way mods. But I still say "But do you experience it?" Is a legitimate topic for discussion.

#38 Posted by Matthew (2150 posts) -

@b0nd07: Came in to post this image. Job already done. Well done good sir. Like you do.

#39 Posted by TruthTellah (9785 posts) -

I think a spammer tonight made a compelling case for the fact that some Giant Bomb spam may in fact be art.

This spammer was offering to sell perfect replicas of Ryan Gosling's scorpion jacket from Drive...

How can anyone say no to that?

#40 Posted by jimmyfenix (3941 posts) -

One spam bot thread i encountered was really weird. The title was "Gender Segregation" and has links to the NFL match in wembley. The spam bots are getting more and more fascinating.

#41 Posted by bigjeffrey (5282 posts) -

I think a spammer tonight made a compelling case for the fact that some Giant Bomb spam may in fact be art.

This spammer was offering to sell perfect replicas of Ryan Gosling's scorpion jacket from Drive...

It is getting Worse/Better?

2553352-0848815346-4kHi6.png

#42 Posted by TruthTellah (9785 posts) -

@truthtellah said:

It is getting Worse/Better?

2553352-0848815346-4kHi6.png

I would say that is arguably "better". They're learning...

#44 Posted by Chaser324 (7812 posts) -

Apparently the message didn't reach some people. Re-pinning this.

Moderator Online