#1 Posted by mordukai (7092 posts) -

So I want to find a cool steam game for a buddy of mine. He's a bit of a grouch right now due to him being kinda anti Christmas so this time of the year is hell for him. So I thought I could cheer him up by maybe gifting him a game on steam.

His kinda picky when it comes to games so I'll just give you critiria and I hope you guys could help me out.

  • Likes turn base combat.
  • Likes JRPG's and overall Japanese art style.
  • Dislikes sci-fi when it comes to his RPG's
  • does not like western style RPG's (even though he plays DnD...Go figure)

Thanks.

#2 Edited by Canteu (2814 posts) -

The last remnant is pretty good, and fits that criteria quite well.

Only for pc though. The 360 version is the worst.

plus it's like £6 atm.

#3 Posted by Ravenlight (8033 posts) -
#4 Posted by Demoskinos (13832 posts) -
#5 Posted by amir90 (2134 posts) -

@Canteu said:

The last remnant is pretty good, and fits that criteria quite well.

Only for pc though. The 360 version is the worst.

plus it's like £6 atm.

That is indeed a good recommendation, just make sure your friend (OP) that he has a nvidia and not amd graphic card. The game doesn't run well at all with amd GPUs, because it isn't all that optimized on it :(

#6 Posted by Terramagi (1159 posts) -

Get a copy of Bad Rats, so that if these other gifts fail, you have the nuclear option available.

#7 Posted by mordukai (7092 posts) -

@amir90 said:

@Canteu said:

The last remnant is pretty good, and fits that criteria quite well.

Only for pc though. The 360 version is the worst.

plus it's like £6 atm.

That is indeed a good recommendation, just make sure your friend (OP) that he has a nvidia and not amd graphic card. The game doesn't run well at all with amd GPUs, because it isn't all that optimized on it :(

That's odd to hear. It is my understanding that Square Enix has a deal with AMD. He has Nvidia btw. Thanks for the info.

#8 Posted by Grillbar (1772 posts) -

@Canteu said:

The last remnant is pretty good, and fits that criteria quite well.

Only for pc though. The 360 version is the worst.

plus it's like £6 atm.

i love that game

#9 Posted by Jams (2956 posts) -
#10 Posted by mordukai (7092 posts) -
#11 Edited by FrankieSpankie (228 posts) -

It's not turn based but if he likes JRPGs give the Ys games a look, Ys Origin and Ys: The Oath in Felghana are great games. I personally prefer Origin more because the boss battles are a lot more fun. Oath in Felghana feels more like a traditional RPG though with towns and dungeons you actually have to run to, Origins is essentially one giant dungeon. Both will take about 10-15 hours and are a ton of fun. You can get both right now for $17.50.

#12 Posted by amir90 (2134 posts) -

@mordukai said:

@amir90 said:

@Canteu said:

The last remnant is pretty good, and fits that criteria quite well.

Only for pc though. The 360 version is the worst.

plus it's like £6 atm.

That is indeed a good recommendation, just make sure your friend (OP) that he has a nvidia and not amd graphic card. The game doesn't run well at all with amd GPUs, because it isn't all that optimized on it :(

That's odd to hear. It is my understanding that Square Enix has a deal with AMD. He has Nvidia btw. Thanks for the info.

I am not sure if there has been released a driver that fixes the issue or new AMD cards run them better, but this benchmark graph should show you what I mean. It's from Tom's Hardware:

#13 Posted by mordukai (7092 posts) -

@FrankieSpankie: Thanks for the suggestion.

#14 Posted by Lego_My_Eggo (914 posts) -

Maybe try Dark Souls. Its not turn based, but there are a lot of RPG elements and has that old school style of a Japanese game.

#15 Posted by mordukai (7092 posts) -

@Lego_My_Eggo said:

Maybe try Dark Souls. Its not turn based, but there are a lot of RPG elements and has that old school style of a Japanese game.

Already owns on 360. Did not go over well.