• 158 results
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
#101 Posted by Brockly46 (645 posts) -
@vedicardi said:
" Why not just make a forum for youtube videos?? "
good question, would settle the confusion
#102 Posted by PNut_Buttr_Panda (486 posts) -

hey guys im new to this forum and just getting settled in by checking out some of the threads.  ive noticed stuff like this on other sites. from what ive seen it may bee a good idea to make a special board thats just for posting vids. it keeps the spammers happy and the forums dont get flooded with sour threads and dont loose out on a vid that may not be spam and may be something that stirs a lot of discussion.

#103 Posted by natetodamax (19220 posts) -
@PNut_Buttr_Panda said:
" hey guys im new to this forum and just getting settled in by checking out some of the threads.  ive noticed stuff like this on other sites. from what ive seen it may bee a good idea to make a special board thats just for posting vids. it keeps the spammers happy and the forums dont get flooded with sour threads and dont loose out on a vid that may not be spam and may be something that stirs a lot of discussion. "
We don't want spammers to be happy. Spammers get banned. And if a video posted to the forums holds discussion, it stays there.
#104 Posted by JJOR64 (19070 posts) -
@PNut_Buttr_Panda:  You can still post videos on the forums.  You just need to provide some of your own commentary to go along with the video.
#105 Posted by PNut_Buttr_Panda (486 posts) -

i see.  so the general rule is that you can post any video so long as you have a commentary on it or does it have to be game related?

#106 Posted by AjayRaz (12477 posts) -
@PNut_Buttr_Panda said:
" i see.  so the general rule is that you can post any video so long as you have a commentary on it or does it have to be game related? "
you can post videos as long as you have commentary that will spark discussion. don't just post useless random videos that you find, that will see no discussion. it will be locked. 
#107 Posted by EndlessMike (518 posts) -

If you could express this in the form of a Youtube video I might find it easier to understand.

#108 Edited by Brians (1465 posts) -

There should be in the email when signing up a note hey don't send youtube links. Someone titled a post they made today with the link to the story...Which was dumb

#109 Posted by Alphiehyr (1083 posts) -

I really don't see the big deal with starting a topic or posting with a link to youtube.

#110 Posted by MB (13139 posts) -
@Alphiehyr said:
" I really don't see the big deal with starting a topic or posting with a link to youtube. "
It's ok, not everyone is expected to agree with all of the rules, they are only expected to follow them.
Moderator
#111 Posted by Yukoei (1878 posts) -

Was this just unstickied? why?

#112 Posted by MB (13139 posts) -
@Yukoei said:
" Was this just unstickied? why? "
It hasn't been pinned to all forums for at least a couple of months. It's still pinned to General Discussion.
Moderator
#113 Posted by Yukoei (1878 posts) -
@MB said:
" @Yukoei said:
" Was this just unstickied? why? "
It hasn't been pinned to all forums for at least a couple of months. It's still pinned to General Discussion. "
Ahh, okay thanks.
#114 Posted by RandomInternetPerson (779 posts) -

If i post a link to this thread,is that alright?

#115 Posted by Daniel_Newton (1166 posts) -

This ought to be stickied, I totally missed it and since there isn't a rule for this on anime vice (though thinking about it, there probably should be) I didn't know there was a rule about youtube spam here.

#116 Edited by Karmum (11519 posts) -
@Newten:
It was pinned, I'm curious as to why it's not anymore. Pinned or not, many people seem to not read it (not including you, you appear to be someone who would read it then not continue to post the topics).
 
Edit - It's only pinned in General Discussion.
#117 Edited by Daniel_Newton (1166 posts) -
@Karmum: Ah I see, I understand why it's only pinned in general discussion I suppose. I do think a link to it should be added to the main forum FAQ though. It sort of describes it right at the end as what's considered to be spam, but there's no link to this thread or anything.
#118 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

I'm beginning to question whether the Admins/Mods are still keen on enforcing the U Toob spam policy. I've flagged various videos, and I'll go back a few days later and all the videos are still there. Some closure would be nice, as I'd hate to be wasting my time.

#119 Posted by Hamz (6846 posts) -
@Napalm: This could be down to two things.
 
  • We may have been slow at getting around to reviewing those flagged posts.
  • The posts you've flagged were deemed acceptable by the mod who reviewed it.
 
Just keep flagging, it takes but a few seconds to do!
#120 Posted by Southgrove (323 posts) -

Hmm, what if you'd make a "U-toob lol-spam forum"?

#121 Posted by VonSoot (188 posts) -

I thought this was about Noob Tubes.. Bah. Misleading (misread :( )
 
:X

#122 Posted by dylanderoo (155 posts) -

i youtubed spammed, and i did not read this.. i am so sorry guys. wanna hug?

#123 Posted by I_smell (3925 posts) -

If you expect people to read huge walls of texts like that just to post on the forum then A: you are crazy, and B: It's no wonder GB is full of such boring tepid people.

#124 Posted by eroticfishcake (7792 posts) -
@Hamz: Just out of curiosity since I don't remember seeing this any where but would it be considered spam if the OP just posted a picture instead of a video? I would assume so yes?
#125 Posted by Hamz (6846 posts) -
@eroticfishcake: Essentially yes it would still be considered spam if someone just made a topic with an image and no text to go along with it. Only reason this hasn't been outlined is that embedded video spam (aka U-Tube Spam) is waaay more frequent on the forum that the need to specifically point it out was greater.
#126 Posted by eroticfishcake (7792 posts) -
@Hamz: I see. Well thanks for clarifying that for me. I was just wondering since I saw a few cases like that but for some reason they tend to stay unlocked. Knowing you, you'll probably just tell me to flag it or PM a mod about it, eh?
#127 Posted by Hamz (6846 posts) -
@eroticfishcake: Psychic training is paying off I see! :P
 
Feel free to send me a handful of links to such topics if you want. Chances are they get left unlocked due to them straight up dying a natural death far quicker.
#128 Posted by eroticfishcake (7792 posts) -
@Hamz: Most of them have already sunk to the murky depths of the forums so it's no real issue at the moment but I'll send threads your way though if they come back or if I see new ones. Cheers anyway.
#129 Posted by JJOR64 (19070 posts) -

Out of curiosity, why is this stickied in GD and not Off Topic?

#130 Posted by DrJota (701 posts) -
@Hamz: I consider myself warned.Apologies to all.
#131 Edited by LordLemmy (61 posts) -

 

@ZombiePie

said:

" The real sad thing is that productive threads get bumped down and don't get the attention they deserve as a result of this trend. Well you can fully expect me to flag any threads that I see which qualify as spam. "

Right, topics like "Random word association", "I'm gay and I play games" and "Say something about the user above you" are much more productive than a video that makes you laugh. Carry on forum warriors. And thank you for giving these wannabe backseat mods with itchy fingers something else to gather a hard-on for.
 
 

@Brendan

said:

" @Apathylad said:

" @Jeust said:

" @JJOR64 said:

" @Apathylad: You can still post videos but, you just need to provide more commentary to go along with it. "

that will only give birth to threads where the users waste words not to get the topic canned... you know that don't you? "
That's my concern as well. I'm afraid I will need to write a formal essay in order to not get flagged by other users. "
It's actually not that hard to not get flagged, the only ones where I've seen it happen are exactly what the moderators talked about, mostly consisting of "lolz!" followed by meaningless quote trees.  If you can resist that urge, then you're probably fine. "
 What?  Who are you kidding? Do you somehow have the insights pertaining to the hundreds of others?
 
 

@jakob187

said:

"This.  If someone posts up a political video talking about rights or upcoming bill ideas, or if they are posting up a video review for another place that can drive some form of discussion, then that's not spam - that's the purpose of a forum being used.  Maybe people are unaware of what a "forum" is because of places like 4chan and such, which have changed the meaning for some people.  A forum is someplace people converse about topics and issues.  These recent video spams of "LOLZ WATCH THIS IT'S FUNNY" do not promote any form of discussion.  If we allowed that, then we would see no discussion on these forums and instead would just serve as a secondary hosting site for YouTube, which I don't think they honestly need.  I can't say that we all provide the greatest of commentary in some of our discussions (sometimes only one sentence giving some attempt as sarcasm or wit), but those who frown upon the idea of cutting down the YouTube spam are simply willing to promote disorganization and a LACK of community...and that defeats the purpose of a forum entirely. "

 The lack of community is the result of little leeches who foam at the mouth, waiting to accuse others of trolling and spamming. Does that sound productive to you? Don't jerk us off with community speeches when the real problem is bigger than the one talked about here.
 
 

@Napalm

said:

I've flagged various videos, and I'll go back a few days later and all the videos are still there. Some closure would be nice, as I'd hate to be wasting my time. "

  Maximum forum warrior efficiency being ignored must be such a downer.
#132 Posted by btman (1038 posts) -

Why isn't this stickied anymore?

#133 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -
@btman said:
" Why isn't this stickied anymore? "
I was wondering this as well. It should be stickied.
#134 Posted by MB (13139 posts) -
@CL60: It's still pinned, but to General Discussion only...also bump.
Moderator
#135 Posted by Seppli (10250 posts) -

I really like youtube vid threads. An actual dedicated youtube spam forum section might be in order to accommodate for this preference?

#136 Edited by MattyFTM (14433 posts) -
@Seppli said:

" I really like youtube vid threads. An actual dedicated youtube spam forum section might be in order to accommodate for this preference? "

A dedicated forum where people can spam is not going to happen. Spam is spam, even if it's all contained within a special forum section.
 
The thing is, threads featuring youtube videos are fine, people just need to write a good paragraph or two to promote discussion on the subject. Just copy/pasting a youtube embed code without any commentary (or just a short pointless comment) is just lazy and it doesn't promote discussion on the subject. People need to go to the effort to spark discussion on the subject by providing their insights into the subject.
Moderator
#137 Posted by FunExplosions (5407 posts) -
@MattyFTM said:
" @Seppli said:

" I really like youtube vid threads. An actual dedicated youtube spam forum section might be in order to accommodate for this preference? "

A dedicated forum where people can spam is not going to happen. Spam is spam, even if it's all contained within a special forum section.  The thing is, threads featuring youtube videos are fine, people just need to write a good paragraph or two to promote discussion on the subject. Just copy/pasting a youtube embed code without any commentary (or just a short pointless comment) is just lazy and it doesn't promote discussion on the subject. People need to go to the effort to spark discussion on the subject by providing their insights into the subject. "
True dat. Go to Youtube if you want Youtube videos. If you haven't killed yourself from reading mindless comments, you are welcome to come back.
I don't get how people can't grasp the simple fact that posting those videos generates far too much buzz, therefore burying the better threads and blogs deep within the forums.
#138 Posted by rjayb89 (7729 posts) -

Would you look at that?  Guess I can put my Flag to good use.

Online
#139 Posted by ZeekDaGeek (259 posts) -

lol chek out this video
 
<banned>

#140 Posted by Ares_26 (14 posts) -

I think this is a great decision that the moderators are doing to help.

#141 Posted by Hamz (6846 posts) -

Bump to knock this down the list due to a bug in the forum.

#142 Posted by Obienator (56 posts) -
@Hamz:  Apologies, new to the forums. I recently linked to a video I made myself. While my commentary was short, I think I made up to it in subsequent posts. Will remeber for next time tho!
#143 Posted by Khann (2914 posts) -

Just want to say that for the most part, this is a fucking stupid rule.

#144 Posted by KarlPilkington (2778 posts) -
@Khann said:
" Just want to say that for the most part, this is a fucking stupid rule. "  
 
As long as the post has accompanying text and raises some sort of discussion then it's not stupid.
#145 Edited by Khann (2914 posts) -
@Chabbs0 said:

" @Khann said:

" Just want to say that for the most part, this is a fucking stupid rule. "  

 As long as the post has accompanying text and raises some sort of discussion then it's not stupid. "
http://www.giantbomb.com/forums/off-topic/31/the-police-sure-have-strange-priorities/488295/?  
 
What about that thread? The original post fits the "Youtube spam" rule, but then after 6 pages of discussion, Mr. Mod comes along and is all "YOUTUBE SPAM. I WILL BLINDLY FOLLOW THIS RULE DESPITE THE DISCUSSION. DURRRRR". 
#146 Posted by imsh_pl (3314 posts) -
@Khann: The page was locked a day after it appeared. The mods can't be everywhere.
#147 Posted by Khann (2914 posts) -
@imsh_pl said:
" @Khann: The page was locked a day after it appeared. The mods can't be everywhere. "
That isn't really my point, though. My point was that there had been significant discussion over the original post, and it didn't need to be locked as "Youtube spam".
#148 Posted by Comiclove5 (8 posts) -

 Sorry, I did not know.

#149 Posted by SexyToad (2722 posts) -

So this is necrobumping the thread but why can't we have a thread that the point is to post YouTube videos? Just one thread for this stuff?

#150 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@SexyToad:

Because it doesn't promote discussion, and only serves to boost post count. Also, all that Flash makes computers explode.