• 54 results
GrizzledWolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By GrizzledWolf

Hey Duders, recently started listening to the Bomb/Beastcast while playing Destiny and just curious what anyone else might listen to while they game? Looking for something to listen to while waiting for new episodes to come out.

Cheers.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Sportsgames, Spelunky, Binding of Isaac, FTL (pretty much all roguelikes work), Super Meat Boy, Dota2 botgames, Diablo, MGS5 sidemissions, , Geometry Wars, Xcom EU.

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Any repetitive MMO is good podcast gaming. I used to listen to podcasts when I was big into playing FFXI. Destiny seems like it would be good for that too.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Sportsgames, Spelunky, Binding of Isaac, FTL (pretty much all roguelikes work), Super Meat Boy, Dota2 botgames, Diablo, MGS5 sidemissions, , Geometry Wars, Xcom EU.

Any repetitive MMO is good podcast gaming. I used to listen to podcasts when I was big into playing FFXI. Destiny seems like it would be good for that too.

Maby I misread the question but I think he was asking for more good podcasts to keep him sane while he plays repetitive games. (i'm in the same boat!)

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By ShaggE

Depends on the game for me. For games where I need to read or solve something, I like a podcast that I can tune in and out of without losing the thread. Comedy Bang Bang is really good for that and tends to be my go-to. Also great is Coverville, if you love cover songs and a bit of music trivia. I discovered some of my favorite artists and songs through Coverville.

For mindless games or just games I can autopilot through for a while, that's when I break out the movie podcasts (Now Playing, We Hate Movies, Horroretc., the late great Yeah, It's That Bad, and so on) and the stuff on Maximum Fun, none of which you can go wrong with.

I'd love to find more good music podcasts. Problem is, I'm not sure what I even want from a music podcast and I won't until I actually hear it.

Edit: Forgot a few... Retronauts, DOS Nostalgia, and Upper Memory Block are all good if you like classic gaming, especially on the PC side. Last Podcast on the Left is just awesome if you like generally morbid topics discussed with humor. It might be a bit much for some, however (they did an episode or two on 911 calls that was extremely harrowing and hard to get through, but fascinating), and they can border on tasteless every now and again. YMMV. Horrorshow Hot Dog is a really funny horror movie review podcast.

And finally, if you stretch your definition of podcast to include "a radio program from the late 90s", Blue Jam. If you listen to nothing else on this list, listen to Blue Jam. It will change you. Incredibly funny, deeply unsettling and upsetting, a great primer for trip hop... one of the best things Chris Morris ever did.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

Anything where the music/atmosphere/sounds aren't the main draw of the game or required (as in, you need them to play, meaning CSGO is not a good podcast game, always be listenin for footsteps)

It used to be Borderlands but I have played those games so much that I am too fucking sick of them to play them anymore. I bought the Pre-Sequel and just can't do it.

Doom I and II should be good podcast games and I have used them as such, but something's always missing. I don't get to listen to Bobby Prince's cheesy rip-offs of early 90's extreme metal songs or the gun sounds and that takes a little too much away for me.

All of those grindy sidequests in Dragon Age Inquisition. Really, anything where there's a lot of grind. That part of any given JRPG where you go grinding for something.

Turn based games like Civilization or X-Com should be good for podcasts. I played a lot of Fire Emblem Awakening's random encounters while listening to podcasts.

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 26

I listen to Train Hot Dog (trainhotdog.cool) while playing Hearthstone on my train rides. It's basically white noise because I can't ever hear a thing he says with double the train noises.

bigmess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Match3 is fantastic, check it out! Some really insightful conversations on games.

My Brother, My Brother, and Me is hilarious. It's a life advice podcast in which the advice is absolutely terrible!

I also recommend listening to old Bombcasts if you started listening relatively late like myself. They're still hilarious and if you missed out on the Ryan Davis-era of Bombcasts I implore you to take a listen. That man was too good.

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You don't say. I was also real big on listening to podcasts while playing FFXI (nothing like camping an NM solo while listening to the bombcast, limit break radio, or pet food alpha!), actually the last time this happened was literally just a couple months ago.

Pretty much any MMO (such as Destiny) is great for playing while listening to podcasts.

I haven't really listened to any other general gaming podcasts while playing, but often I've listened to podcasts about the game I was playing. Like FFXI podcasts while playing FFXI, FFXIV podcasts while playing FFXIV, etc.

My advice is, find whatever Destiny podcast floats your boat (probably one where the main draw is more the personalities/humour more than info on the game?) and when you stop playing Destiny it'll remain a source of entertainment and a way of remembering the game.

YummyTreeSap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like Idle Thumbs and My Brother, My Brother and Me quite a bit.

sagesebas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@grizzledwolf: I do the same thing but with music. I have heard maybe 2 minutes of destiny dialogue. It's a great game to turn on some music and zone out.

GrizzledWolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummytreesap: Second mention of My Brother, definitely going to check it out. What's idle thumbs about?

@bigmess: Thanks Match3 and the brother one sound great I'll give 'em a go. And yeah I really should go back and listen to some ryan-era bombcasts, I'm sure I'm missing out on some gold there.

@audiobusting: Those are some good clips of trains! Thanks : )

@shagge: Wow that's a great list thank you will definitely check some of those out next time thanks!

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

I edited your thread title a bit for clarity, as your thread is more about looking for recommendations of podcasts to listen to rather than a question about whether people listen to podcasts while playing games or not.

GrizzledWolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mike: Thank you and sorry for the confusion everyone

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mike: it would be cool if when you did that the forums wouldn't eat my post because I started my reply under the old thread title.

TravisRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By TravisRex

Joe rogan experience has some interesting guests and theyre usually pretty lengthy. hardcore history is good as well. other than that, recently i went back to the old podcasts from GB starting in like 2008 and just have been listening to 3-4 a day. theyre pretty good.

big list of giant bomb podcasts

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#18  Edited By musubi
mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#19  Edited By mike

@hippie_genocide: Sorry, that can't be helped unless they essentially rewrite the code from the ground up for the forums. It's been that way since day one.

I got into the habit a long time ago of quickly hitting CMD+A and then CMD+C (or CTRL on Windows) before I submit a forum post because of the numerous problems that consistently plague the forums. It only takes a split second and you can save yourself a lot of headaches. I know you shouldn't have to do it, but you may want to consider it, especially for longer comments.

blackblade500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By blackblade500

@grizzledwolfSome of the ones that I listen too:

Match 3- Great podcast that talks about games in a very intellectual and sometimes academic way since Sam teaches kids, and it also features Patrick Klepek (former GB editor) and Gita Jackson(freelance writer)

My Brother, My Brother, and Me- The McElroy brothers life advice podcast, very funny and not super long

The Adventure Zone- If you like DnD, or are more interested in watching/listening to people play like me, then this is a great podcast w/ great laughs, also done by the McElroy brothers and their dad

Til Death Do Us Part- a horror movie podcast, featuring again Patrick Klepek and his wife Katie where they talk about the recent horror movies that they have seen and some horror film history

Serial- a podcast about a case involving a the handling of a real murder case, don't really know how to describe this one, it is associated with This American Life

Bombin' the AM with Scoops and the Wolf- another GB podcast done by Alex Narvaro and Patrick Klepek before he left, there is a good backlog with this one, and some interesting guests, also there is video if you would rather have it that way.

Game Over Greggy Show- show hosted by Greg Miller from Kinda Funny, along with the rest of Kinda Funny where they each bring a different topic to discuss

PS I Love You xoxo- Also done by Kinda Funny, this is just a Playstation centric podcast where they talk about mostly PS related topics.

I will also have some TV in the background that does not require my full attention, or the WWE Network, and just watch some old wrestling. Sorry if this too much, just kinda kept going!

Avatar image for zomgfruitbunnies
Zomgfruitbunnies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like Hardcore History.

MVP1101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Doug loves movies (it's a game show hosted by Doug Benson), How did this get made, Tell'em Steve Dave, Cheap Heat (wrestling) and The Starters (basketball)

winsol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I've been enjoying the Jimquistion for a while now. It has a good mix of being funny and informative.

Junkboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bill Simmons podcast (previously BS Report) has been the only podcast to make me question if the Bombcast is really the best thing on the net. Great guests and hits tons of sports and pop culture stuff easily the second best podcast on the net (I'm sorry Vinny, Alex, Austin and our future great Cnet overlord Other Jeff) .

JamesFargoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By JamesFargoth

@blackblade500: So happy to see so many mentions of My Brother, My Brother, and Me. It's a great podcast. The Adventure Zone is also fantastic.

Travis Mcelroy also has a podcast with his friend Brental Floss called Trend's Like These, where they discuss the latest trends and whatnot.

Justin and his doctor wife do a really interesting podcast called Sawbones, where they talk about crazy medical history.

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

I have cut back on the number of podcasts I listened to, but This American Life is pretty great. Not really the best for gaming though.

Part of it is because I was listening to too many gaming podcasts and it got old after a while, especially when something like the Bombcast was a lot better than others.

I never listened to all of the episodes but earlier this year I had fun listening to The Worst Idea of All Time Podcast.

blackichigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Im a huge a fan of almost anything by doubletoasted.com

qrdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Adam & Joe

Collings & Herrin

Monty_vaca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

Gaming Podcasts:

Match 3 podcast - Others have mentioned, will just add my support

Cane and Rinse podcast - Podcast where they choose a game from their backlog and all the panelists play it and then come back and talk about it including spoilers. I don't listen every week, but if it's a game I'm interested in, it is usually a really good listen.

Watch out For Fireballs - Kind of the same format as Cane and Rinse, but it's just two hosts instead of panelists, they have good chemistry, so yeah, also a good listen if the game they are talking about interests you.

Comic podcasts:

Rachel and Miles X-Plain the X-men - Really entertaining podcast where the 2 hosts recap, explain and analyze the X-men story lines starting from Giant Size X-men #1. One of only 2 podcasts I look forward as much as the Giant Bomb podcasts.

Wrestling podcasts:

How2Wrestling - really great wrestling podcast about a guy introducing pro-Wrestling to his girlfriend. Each episode examines a Wrestler or topic specific to wrestling in detail. They exam matches and talk about the history and rumors surrounding the topic. Really interesting to listen to listen to their different perspectives on the topics, one a newcomer, one a fan since childhood. It's a great listen for anyone with even the slightest interest in Wrestling. This is the 2nd of the 2 podcasts I look forward to as much as the GB casts.

saladbone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like Hardcore History.

I'm also pushing Dan Carlin's Hardcore History especially if I'm doing some mindless character progression/grinding like patrol missions in Destiny or running errands in Skyrim. Basically as long as the gameplay isn't too engaging or complicated because I find that Hardcore History requires you to pay more attention than humor or gaming podcasts. What's great about Hardcore History is that it really feels like Dan Carlin is telling a cohesive and compelling story, instead of just reading from a history textbook. He weaves in loads of primary sources as well as contradicting opinions from historians to give you a full grasp of whatever era or conflict he's tackling. His episodes are also a good length for a game session (His WWI episodes are around 4 hours each).

Ackbarguo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Ackbarguo

Team GFB Radio! - Darryl Wisner and his friend Dave host a podcast about fun times and sometimes game development.

GrizzledWolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thank you for all the suggestions duders! Got a good way to spend my sunday afternoon this weekend!

newmoneytrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

listen to hollywood handbook

Nux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Super Best Friendcast is pretty awesome.

DFL017

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@travisrex said:

Joe rogan experience has some interesting guests and theyre usually pretty lengthy. hardcore history is good as well. other than that, recently i went back to the old podcasts from GB starting in like 2008 and just have been listening to 3-4 a day. theyre pretty good.

big list of giant bomb podcasts

Also Radiolab, Startalk Radio.

Avatar image for excitable_misunderstood_genius
Excitable_Misunderstood_Genius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

THE ADVENTURE ZONE!

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If I were you, Guys we fucked, Trailer park boys podcast

those podcasts are pretty light and more conversational so you dont have to focus too much to listen. also hillarious

I also got through a couple audio books while playing dark souls

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Good Job, Brain. It's a trivia podcast with really interesting factoids between the brainteasers. There are a lot of episodes out now each about an hour.

JJBSterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

• I like Isometrics show http://www.relay.fm/isometric -Pretty good natured current events video game talk with Maddy Myers (themarysue), Brianna Wu (Spacekat Studios), Georgia Dow (iMore) and Steve Lubbitz (formerly of Netjak).
  • Also this very own community's own Deep Listens - http://deeplistens.libsyn.com/podcast . Tends to in depth discussions of older games

jeddy201

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Comedy Bang Bang/Hollywood Handbook/Spontaneanation - all great comedy podcasts from Earwolf

Laser Time as suggested above

The Best Show with Tom Scharpling

ninnanuam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By ninnanuam

Gaming and transit are the only time I get to listen to podcasts so all the podcasts i listen to are for gaming time

Flophouse - bad movie podcast, took a while for it to grow on me but now Its probably my go to podcast that's not the Bombcast. I would recommend looking at the list of movies they have talked about finding one you like/loathe and giving it a shot.

8-4, although they sometimes, very rarely, come off as incredibly insular and dismissive.

Actually since the Beastcast started, and I really got into the flophouse all my other podcasts have fallen off. I used to listen to Jimquisition but for some reason Jim has been more insufferable than usual for the last month or so, and somewhere along the line I stopped listening to CAG cast, freakonimics, 99% invisible, WTF, Sklarbro.

now its flophouse back catalogue bombcast, beastcast and 8-4.

And pour one out for The Bugle. Man that shit died in the ass, I still check for new ones but its been two months.

Buddy900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tell em steve dave

bill_mcneal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Stuff You Should Know, the IGN gaming podcasts (RIP Tech Fetish), and Blurry Photos.

Now, BP comes with an asterisk. This is how it's described

Listen to 2 guys take on the strangest subjects in the world and beyond in a silly, cynical way

Not everything they do is funny, and sometimes it can get really annoying--sometimes to the point where I just end up skipping that episode. They take some getting used to but I tend to enjoy the majority of the episodes.

Heycalvero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Heycalvero

Very Bad Wizards - Come on, no love for this here? This podcast is hosted by a philosopher and a psychologist and it's hilarious. A great way to get you thinking about serious stuff without noticing it. A nice starter episode might be the one they did on Eastwood's "The Unforgiven", in which they discuss the morality of killing Morgan Freeman, among other themes.

Common Sense - A lot of people have been suggesting Hardcore History, which is something I would really support. Common Sense is Dan Carlin's show that is focused on current events and/or random thoughts he's been having.

Robot or Not? - Super short episodes of two guys discussing if something is a robot. Pretty dumb.

Radiolab and TED Radio Hour - It's crazy how much the TED show borrows from Radiolab, but both are quite alright.

WTF with Marc Maron - if you find a guest you're interested in. I use it like I use the GB casts, for situations where I can afford to miss a couple of minutes if I have to concentrate on something else.

nickhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

All of Kinda Funny's stuff, Joe Rogan Experience (probably my highest recommendation), Idle Thumbs, Nerdist.

I recently gave one of Idle Thumb's network podcasts a shot, Designer Notes, which is game devs talking about development decisions. Surprisingly interesting even if you will never make a game.

(I do my own show too with 2 good friends, mostly about video games. 2v1 Podcast)

Y2Ken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#48  Edited By Y2Ken

Videogamer UK, Crate & Crowbar, Idle Thumbs, KBMOD, 8-4 Play, Hardcore History. They're the main ones, I do fit in a few others here and there if I can but I'd definitely recommend those. If you need some British people in your life (and honestly, who doesn't) then the first two in particular come well recommended by me. C&C also features Tom Francis, the mind behind Gunpoint (and now Heat Signature).

JohnLocke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Podcast Unlocked by the IGN team is pretty good if your into the Xbox. If you enjoy the PlayStation, PC, etc they have other console/hardware podcasts I think but I tend to listen mainly to that one and the UK podcast from the IGN side.

Also, as you are a premium member I would check out Danswers and Alt-F1 as they are two other podcasts I like a lot (outside Bombcast and Beastcast).

Avatar image for deactivated-5b031d0e868a5
deactivated-5b031d0e868a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

I'll throw a shoutout to the bi-weekly Completely Unnecessary Podcast.