Point Whores

Yatesy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Yatesy

OK, OK, so this thread isn't going to be quite as inflammatory as the title suggests, but I've been wonderting about how the points are being allocated. I have two articles pending submission at the moment, which I spent quite a lot of time on. They're proper, wiki-style articles- not just filling in release dates and what have you. And yet I see these people with a ridiculous amount of points, and as far as I can tell they've been primarily, if not exclusively derived from adding little things like what concepts a game is linked with, or objects in the game, or release dates, or themes etc. Is there somewhere on the site that tells you exactly how the points are broken down, and how many points you get for doing certain things? The way I'm going I could spend days writing in-depth articles about games and still end up not being able to freely edit, whilst some snot-nosed release date whore is sitting on 5,000 points without so much as writing a single sentence.

OK, so maybe it did get a little bit inflammatory towards the end there, but I know some of you know what I'm talkin' about!

epic_pets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By epic_pets

yea, theres a sticky on that
just amke a page that gets alot of points

Conner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Conner

I agree. The points system is getting a little out of hand with tiny things going first. I think longer, more in-depth articles are more important.

BlackWaterCO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By BlackWaterCO

I like getting points because its something to work for, sorry, but a points whore is a whole different animal

Avatar image for green_incarnate
Green_Incarnate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By Green_Incarnate

No, Jeff said specifically that you get more points for writing long articles.

DarkLegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By DarkLegend

Same here, none yet but I think it have to be in a wiki style.

BlackWaterCO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By BlackWaterCO

I just wish for points like

Every review over 400 words = 4 points

Yatesy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Yatesy

I haven't got any points yet, as I'm still waiting for my submission to be accepted, so it'll be interesting to see how many points I get (assuming my entries are accepted, and I'm not counting my chickens yet!)

tovan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By tovan

Yeah, you can receive much more points from writing long articles than simply adding a date or fixing a sentence.

tec3297

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By tec3297

Points a just a great reward for submitting great info to the site.

Clean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By Clean

I still have about 50 submissions I'm waiting on. I wouldn't consider myself a point whore. I just like it work and get rewarded

Avatar image for origina1penguin
Origina1Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Origina1Penguin
Link to Sticky

The biggest problem I can think of is that you can't tell if another user already suggested a page for a game, concept, etc. and it is pending.  If pending submissions could be viewed at the bottom of each respective browse list, then there might be less duplicate submission to sift through.
Yatesy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Yatesy
Origina1Penguin said:
"Link to Sticky

The biggest problem I can think of is that you can't tell if another user already suggested a page for a game, concept, etc. and it is pending.  If pending submissions could be viewed at the bottom of each respective browse list, then there might be less duplicate submission to sift through.
"
That's a good point Penguin, and thanks for the link. I wasn't aware that they gave out more points to well-written articles than just adding release dates and whatnot, so my fears have been allayed somewhat.

But yeah, editing a page and not knowing whether someone else has made a substantial contribution that is pending can be a bit worrisome, especially if your hard work ends up getting binned because someone was there first! If my entry for Faxanadu ends up in the trash because someone wrote a big article minutes before me then that's not good at all! We need to know what edits are pending on an article, and it would help if we could see exactly what those edits constitute, so that we don't waste our time writing vast swathes when it's already been done be someone else. That is definitelty going to screw up some people...
yami4ct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#14  Edited By yami4ct

Once everything gets into full swing, I have a feeling things will run much smoother. As for point whores, sure I love the points, but it doesn't change my editing style. I just do what I see needs to be done. If it's adding a few dates or something like that, I do that, but if I see an article that needs to be written, I do that. I just do what I feel is best. I do hope we can get caught up here on edits soon. I have a bunch pending for almost 3 days as well as a few more in my head that need the others to go through. 

Turtlemayor333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Turtlemayor333

It's a really difficult issue, though. I thought that perhaps people that joined on the day the site launched should  be granted 1,000 points right off the bat, as most people that would be here from Day 1 would be wanting to improve the site as much as possible, but you'd still run into problems.

If they keep this system, there has to be some way to see what edits are already pending for any given page. Like everyone else has said, I'd hate to write an in depth article for some obscure SNES title only to see three hours later another article pops up and mine gets rejected the next day.

Why_So_Serious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By Why_So_Serious

I think the site just basically choose randomly. I mean I have seen the strangest point scores. 74 for a MP article.  I mean why 74 or even 82. Why not round it out to like 75 or 80?

Jett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Jett

i dunno if you consider me a point whore. if i see a sentence or something like that that needs correction, i'll correct it. if i see a release date that i know is something like January 1st 1996 and i know how to find the actual release date, i will find it and change it. ya' know?

Avatar image for origina1penguin
Origina1Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Origina1Penguin

If somebody wants points, they still have to earn them.  It's not like any accepted content is flawed or anything.  It has to be valid material, so if they want to submit it, then let them run wild with it.  After all, this site is meant to be a "for us by us" sort of deal.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b3f096aee80a
deactivated-5b3f096aee80a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Origina1Penguin said:
"If somebody wants points, they still have to earn them.  It's not like any accepted content is flawed or anything.  It has to be valid material, so if they want to submit it, then let them run wild with it.  After all, this site is meant to be a "for us by us" sort of deal.
"

Agreed.