#151 Edited by MariachiMacabre (7096 posts) -

Sandshrew looks rad as hell.

#152 Posted by FoolishChaos (437 posts) -

Just wanted to pop in and say I'm loving these drawings

Also, Ryan is all about that Koffing

#153 Posted by FateOfNever (1839 posts) -

These have all been amazing, but I wanted to say that that Arbok reminds me completely of Jafar from Aladdin when he becomes a giant snake.

#154 Posted by JackSukeru (5912 posts) -

Sandshrew looks really gross in a really appealing way.

#155 Posted by Symptomz (130 posts) -

I guess the consensus is that Ryan is the one who loves Koffing. i remember a bombcast where Jeff was listing names of Pokemon and Brad lost it at Meowth. stands to reason he'd own one.When school work gets a little more light Ill make this Bomb Squad as trainers thing happen.

@FateOfNever I used Snake Jafar as a reference when I was sketching Arbok, good eye.

@JackSukeru I think Sandshrew is my fave so far next to Blastoise.

#156 Edited by medacris (660 posts) -

Things I like:

• Fearow looks like a buzzard (interested to see how you'd depict Vullaby and its evolution, if you get to Gen 5).
  • Ekans and Arbok having a scaly texture (the canon ones always looked a little weird with scale-less skin).
  • Pikachu's chubby, Dorito-stained paws.
  • Feral Raichu.
  • Sandshrew, period. Always loved Sandshrew.
  • Seconding Rorie for Snubbull/Granbull.
  • Requesting Geoduder as Giant Bomb honorary mascot. He can even learn Self-Destruct, it's perfect!
  • Gila Mobster (why is this not a real Pokémon?!)

I might actually help you out on this, if you want. My art is more cutesy, but I can try my best.

#157 Posted by Maystack (906 posts) -

@symptomz: Bombcrew as Elite 4 would be amazing. You'd have to decide who the champion would be though. Jeff? Probably Jeff.

#158 Posted by Krataur (360 posts) -

@kentonclay: YES. And Drew as the Champion.

And to Symptomz, excellent work. I've loved all of these (except for your interpretation of Pikachu). Sandshrew is one of the best yet.

#159 Edited by KentonClay (256 posts) -

@krataur said:

And to Symptomz, excellent work. I've loved all of these (except for your interpretation of Pikachu). Sandshrew is one of the best yet.

If Drew is the champion and Patrick is the rival, does that mean that Alex and Rorie are Team Rocket?

#160 Edited by pepperzz (160 posts) -

@kentonclay said:

@krataur said:

If Drew is the champion and Patrick is the rival, does that mean that Alex and Rorie are Team Rocket?

Dave is Professor Oak.

#161 Posted by Symptomz (130 posts) -

The Pokemon a Day Challenge is being stopped by technical issues. My laptop is frying itself, drivers are messing up all over the place.

Luckily @pepperzz has a backup laptop he's setting up for me as I type this. So, expect Sandslash and Nidoran tomorrow. Sorry for the delay folks.

#162 Posted by MentalDisruption (1635 posts) -

Sucks to hear that, but totally understandable.

#163 Edited by BBAlpert (1470 posts) -

Oh man...

@pepperzz said:

Dave is Professor Oak.

FUUUUUCKK!!

(those were good reactions, by the way)

#164 Edited by Symptomz (130 posts) -

#165 Posted by Xander (136 posts) -

Amazing.

#166 Edited by MarkG1022 (23 posts) -
#167 Edited by Hunter5024 (5682 posts) -

Ooh Nidoking's coming up. I bet that one will be awesome.

#168 Posted by Symptomz (130 posts) -

Poison Guinea Pig

#169 Edited by Xander (136 posts) -

This pokemon's evos should be pretty sweet to watch.

Well done!

#170 Edited by Symptomz (130 posts) -

@xander thanks dude! I actually like Nidorina the best outta this line.

#171 Posted by Xander (136 posts) -

Awesome stuff. :)

You should do a video recording of one of your illustrations. I'd love to glean some of your techniques.

#172 Posted by stucket (238 posts) -

You should do a kickstarter for posters and shirts of this. Awesome stuff :)

#173 Edited by DevinEJPage (18 posts) -

Great work! These absolutely feel like t-shirts to me. Maybe they can pay for a new computer, why not?! (-Dr. Zoidberg)

#174 Posted by Symptomz (130 posts) -

Thought I could take a couple day hiatus with all the E3 nonsense going on. Apparently not haha.

@stucket @devinejpage Ifyou guys really wanna wear these gross pocket monsters I could set up a red bubble account or something. Not really sure what I should use.

#175 Posted by HaltIamReptar (2029 posts) -

If you find a cool way to professionally package this when you're done, I will give you money! I'm sure others would be interested as well.

#176 Edited by Xander (136 posts) -

Queen of the Nidos!

Nicely done (but maybe a little less polished than some of your others? n_n;)

#177 Posted by SimoensS (44 posts) -

@haltiamreptar said:

If you find a cool way to professionally package this when you're done, I will give you money! I'm sure others would be interested as well.

This as well. I'd love this as a coffee table book :)

#178 Posted by Symptomz (130 posts) -

@haltiamreptar @simoenss Thanksl You guys are troopers :)

@xander Totally less polished, school's catching up with me. I'm in a concept art program so when I'm not doodling these guys I'm painting. All art all the time.

#179 Posted by Xander (136 posts) -

Male Nidoran looks ace! Love those ears.

Concept Art program: awesome! Wish I had the guts to dedicate to something like that!

#180 Posted by JackSukeru (5912 posts) -

The first time I played Pokemon I completely missed the area were you can catch Nidoran and Spearow (and where "Blue" challenges you for the second time), I don't know how that happened honestly.

Nidoran Male is my favorite design out of that line, looking like a badass rabbit with spikes (Nidoran Female looking more like a badass guinea pig with spikes) yet pretty cute with its big eyes. I also really like its colour scheme, so much that I never look forward to evolving it.

Your version looks delightfully creepy, good work!

#181 Posted by TechHits (1378 posts) -

I always thought it was odd that the male version was pink, and the female version was blue.

#182 Edited by Scrawnto (2446 posts) -

@symptomz: Oh man, I wish I could paint concept art. That sort of economical painting is a really cool skill, but my colorblindness makes it pretty much impossible for me. I can tell that I'm doing it wrong when I lay down colors, but I can't tell how it's wrong or how to fix it. It's difficult to develop an intuitive sense of color theory when salmon pink and sea green are hard to tell apart, for example.

#183 Edited by Hunter5024 (5682 posts) -

@techhits: Funny you should mention that because I was actually reading an article about how we arrived at the whole Pink = Girl Blue = Boy thing, and it wasn't always the case. Our perception has changed with the cost and availability of certain dyes, and in some countries the opposite is true. This post was way more interesting in my head.

#184 Posted by AiurFlux (902 posts) -

@techhits: Funny you should mention that because I was actually reading an article about how we arrived at the whole Pink = Girl Blue = Boy thing, and it wasn't always the case. Our perception has changed with the cost and availability of certain dyes, and in some countries the opposite is true. This post was way more interesting in my head.

I heard about it on QI.

God dammit I watch to much TV. I'm losing valuable jerking off time.

#185 Posted by Hunter5024 (5682 posts) -

@aiurflux said:

@hunter5024 said:

I heard about it on QI.

God dammit I watch to much TV. I'm losing valuable jerking off time.

Multitasking. Just putting that out there.

#186 Posted by rawrsair (821 posts) -

These are incredible, will definitely be coming back regularly and checking them out.

#187 Posted by Symptomz (130 posts) -

@jacksukeru I totally missed that place for years too. I think you can grab a Mankey there in Yellow too.

@scrawnto yeah that's a bummer. I'm no expert in colour blindness but if you can make out different values of grey you can still paint some rad shit.

@rawrsair Thanks dude! I really do appreciate everyone who comes to look at these even if they're remaining silent.

#188 Posted by JackSukeru (5912 posts) -

Your Nidorino is making me want to play Pokemon and use a Nidorino.

#189 Posted by DG991 (1344 posts) -

This is rad.

#190 Posted by Bollard (5545 posts) -

Dang good to see you're still going strong!

#191 Edited by DigitalDame (11 posts) -

I think I'm in love with this, are there more?

Staff
#192 Posted by Symptomz (130 posts) -

@chavtheworld Mostly strong :P It's more like Pokemon Every Two Days right now. Not as catchy though.

@digitaldame BOOM. Here's another. But if you've sifted through all the pages yes, that's all at the moment.

I remember I used to name my Nidoking 'Fisk' after the Kingpin from Marvel

#193 Edited by RPGee (759 posts) -

@symptomz: Holy fuck, that Nidoking is disturbing! Great art, it just happens to look like a unicorn/hedgehog/werewolf/gundam abomination. Freaking me out, man, well done.

#194 Posted by JohnZimmerman (198 posts) -

his art is both awesome and horrifyilng. i love it.

#195 Posted by Flappy (2244 posts) -

I love it! Keep it up, homie! I wanna see your twisted take on the fossil pokemon and the Legendaries.

#196 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -
#1 Pokemon master!

#197 Posted by Hunter5024 (5682 posts) -

I knew the Nidoking would be badass. Excellent work.

#198 Posted by Boom_goes_the_dynamite (720 posts) -

These as ever are still so freaking great. Can't wait to see what is done with Psyduck, my favorite pokemon.

#199 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11734 posts) -

Nidoking looks like a horrible monster. Congratulations?

#200 Edited by JackSukeru (5912 posts) -

I-I think you may have gone too far.