• 58 results
#1 Edited by Wong_Fei_Hung (642 posts) -

PETA's spoof game on Pokémon

http://features.peta.org/pokemon-black-and-white-parody/

LOL!

This is in light of the impending release of Pokemon Black & White 2...

PETA

“Much like animals in the real world, Pokémon are treated as unfeeling objects and used for such things as human entertainment and as subjects in experiments. The way that Pokémon are stuffed into pokéballs is similar to how circuses chain elephants inside railroad cars and let them out only to perform confusing and often painful tricks that were taught using sharp steel-tipped bullhooks and electric shock prods …if PETA existed in Unova, our motto would be: Pokémon are not ours to use or abuse. They exist for their own reasons. We believe that this is the message that should be sent to children.”
#2 Posted by Dogma (943 posts) -

I did not know that we "stuff pokémon inside pokéballs". That electric jolt that catches them seems to shrink them or something, like a genie in a bottle. I kind of agree with them how pokémon are used though...except for you know...it's a videogame! Goddamnit PETA. You are such loosers. Do something more productive with your time.

#3 Posted by Make_Me_Mad (3001 posts) -

The story of the last two games was pretty much entirely about the ethics of using Pokemon for battles, with emphasis on whether or not the Pokemon that people captured really wanted to fight. Does figure that PETA can't keep up with the things they complain about, though.

#4 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19305 posts) -

People shouldn't be giving them attention.

#5 Posted by Snail (8574 posts) -

Hahaha, oh those guys.

#6 Edited by AlisterCat (5470 posts) -

I hate PETA, and I am for the ethical treatment of animals. As are most people.

#7 Posted by TooWalrus (13128 posts) -

TOTAL POKEMON LIBERATION

#8 Posted by MisterSamMan (363 posts) -

I love the art.

#9 Posted by dungbootle (2454 posts) -

It's funny because the villains in B&W are literally PETA.

#10 Posted by JackSukeru (5898 posts) -

That was actually kind of funny, though I did my damnedest to lose after the first battle, I did manage it at the third.

@Make_Me_Mad: They bring it up. The third guy is the boss of Team Plasma and he refers to some sort of twist at the end of the game where he just wanted to use Pokemon. Also Pikachu holds up a sign that says he supports Team Plasma.

#11 Posted by Wong_Fei_Hung (642 posts) -

@AlisterCat said:

I hate PETA, and I am for the ethical treatment of animals. As are most people.

I also, I find what they do damaging to the noble cause.

#12 Posted by Nux (2294 posts) -

Well that was the dumbest thing ever.

#13 Posted by AlexanderSheen (4904 posts) -

They don't have anything better at hand other than a video game? PETA must be really out of ideas.

#14 Posted by laserbolts (5310 posts) -

PETA are a fucking joke.

#15 Edited by Pazy (2560 posts) -

I dont think they played enough of Pokemon Black/White, Team Plasma are the bad guys who are stealing peoples pokemon, keeping them for their own ends with the guy in charge ultimately revealing not to want Pokemon Freedom but for him to have control over Pokemon. Its in fact a shell-organisation for an evil madman.

EDIT: Wait a second, I played some more of the game and they seem to acknowledge that Team Plasma were a sham. They just appear confused now. Especially since they mainly use Pikachu who is famous for never being in a Pokeball and staying with Ash purely out of choice (like all his Pokemon). Then again Peta are always idiots, its a fictional video game. To try and ban something in fiction because its wrong in real life means banning every single box that has killing in it, so Shakespeare cannot exist.

#16 Posted by l4wd0g (1892 posts) -

Oh, those supporters of domestic those terrorism...

#17 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5137 posts) -

PETA should stick to advertising with those naked ladies or whatever.

#18 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4674 posts) -

I beat it. That was alright. They clearly have experience with Pokemon and the art was not bad. The last battle with Ash rung hollow however because a huge part of the show is about how much Ash and Pikachu do care for one another. The show in general clearly emphasizes the special bond between Pokemon and their trainers.

#19 Posted by forkboy (1112 posts) -

@Dogma said:

I did not know that we "stuff pokémon inside pokéballs". That electric jolt that catches them seems to shrink them or something, like a genie in a bottle. I kind of agree with them how pokémon are used though...except for you know...it's a videogame! Goddamnit PETA. You are such loosers. Do something more productive with your time.

Yeah, but PETA's whole MO is about "getting attention to the cause", with "all publicity is good publicity". Personally (& I'm speaking as a vegetarian, albeit about as unpreachy a veggie as you'll find because I was raised this way rather than making a concious decision myself on behalf of the animals) I think they are quite often counter-productive, little better than that fucking stupid KONY 2012 bollocks. Publicity is fine & well up to a point, but it doesn't fix things, & if you are so obnoxious as to basically be a self-parody then you just turn people into obnoxious assholes who spend their whole time trying to sell you on the wondrous of meat, which is every bit as fucking dull as it would be if I spent my time preaching to you about the evils of the commercial food industry or whatever else.

I agree with them on several topics, I think their campaigns against fur in the fashion industry have been pretty effective & there's also the side-bonus of the models involved in those campaign caught wearing fur later on in life, either on the catwalk or in private life. I'm a fan of irony. I'm morally troubled by the use of animals in scientific testing, although I probably come down some where along the lines of opposing animal testing on primates but can see the advantage of using other animals. But I think PETA (& the even more extreme groups in the animal welfare/rights movement like the ALF) do more harm than good on balance. Mostly, their campaigns just make me facepalm any time I hear of a new publicity stunt.

#20 Posted by NoobSauceG7 (1230 posts) -

I am all for animals but PETA seem like crazy people. There are better ways to protect animals then going after video games about fake creatures...

#21 Posted by Nottle (1912 posts) -

Do people take PETA seriously?

So how do the pokemon that are humanoid like Jinx and Mr. Mime adressed in this game? Or ones that are pieces of metal, GODS, piles of trash bags, or rocks?

#22 Posted by MikkaQ (10263 posts) -

All PETA does is make animal activists look really dumb, even though some of them have an honestly good point to make.

Hell they even have me looking at veggies funny.

#23 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4328 posts) -

Oh right Black and White 2 came out. I should pick that up.

#24 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7039 posts) -

Oh man they're wading into video games again? Remember Super Tofu Boy, their sad substitute for Super Meat Boy? If only they'd learned their lesson.

#25 Posted by Forderz (246 posts) -

That was... pretty entertaining.

I would love to see a dark pokemon game where you play as an unusually intelligent, I don't know, Poochyena, and start attacking trainers to "liberate" your brethren. The end goal of the game would be a systematic collapse of human society. Of course, you'd be opposed more often than not by pokemon who legitimately love their trainers, but be too blinded by your dogmatic views to truly listen.

OR have it have multiple endings. Fuck, i don't know. I just want to play it.

#26 Posted by JoeyRavn (4946 posts) -

@MikkaQ said:

All PETA does is make animal activists look really dumb, even though some of them have an honestly good point to make.

Hell they even have me looking at veggies funny.

Don't do it. A very vocal minority doesn't represent us. Make fun of PETA, they deserve it.

#27 Posted by SecondPersonShooter (615 posts) -

Did anyone notice that the goddamn TREES in this game are BLEEDING?

#28 Posted by spilledmilkfactory (1820 posts) -

The real intention here is not to vilify Pokemon, or any other game franchise. Clearly PETA doesn't really give a crap about Pokemon, just like they didn't care about Mario when they made a stink about that a year or two back. If they did... well, they'd be insane, given that Pokemon are, you know, fictional. Not to mention the fact that the Pokemon games champion equal treatment of Pokemon and humans alike. The real goal here is publicity. PETA operates under the old adage "any press is good press," and they're willing to do some downright scummy and ridiculous things to get that attention. So if you don't approve, just stop paying attention to it all.

#29 Posted by Funrush (70 posts) -

Not a bad game.

#30 Posted by samhead5 (46 posts) -

This is so much more violent and brutal than any of the games or the show. I would much prefer my kids to play the games than see this. PETA have no idea. Isnt one of the real messages behind Pokemon in the TV show that having that compassion for your pokemon is much stronger than any type of training in making a pokemon strong. Pikachu loves Ash and that is the only reason that Ash is a good trainer at all, because his Pokemon do what they need to do for him.

#31 Posted by living4theday258 (678 posts) -

like i said on the other thread

People

Eating

Tasty

Animals

why do they even care about pokemon!?!?!?!?

#32 Edited by EarlessShrimp (1631 posts) -

I thought that pokeballs were kind of teleportation devices similar to using the computer system to transfer pokemon and what have you. According to Prof. Oak, they live happy existences in their own natural habitats and are only called upon in matters of crisis. Who is to say, really, if these pokemon wouldn't battle naturally, or in fact, have egos that need preening through displays of beauty and athleticism? Oh, wait. They're fucking pokemon. imaginary creatures inside a video game/manga/tv/movie/[insert relevant media medium here] universe. I think the message is that: FANTASY IS NOT REAL LIFE.

Also cooking mama kills animals.

#33 Posted by Phatmac (5720 posts) -

I'm shocked that PETA is well informed enough to know how to make a game and make some decent art. I'm throughly impressed. I'd rather play this than Black 2! Good job, PETA.

#34 Posted by NoobSauceG7 (1230 posts) -

@samhead5 said:

This is so much more violent and brutal than any of the games or the show. I would much prefer my kids to play the games than see this. PETA have no idea. Isnt one of the real messages behind Pokemon in the TV show that having that compassion for your pokemon is much stronger than any type of training in making a pokemon strong. Pikachu loves Ash and that is the only reason that Ash is a good trainer at all, because his Pokemon do what they need to do for him.

You are totally right! The PETA game is almost disgustingly violent, while the games truly are about interacting with nature and the pokemon as a team. PETA seems like they are getting the wrong idea and that they should be using their resources in a better way than making bullshit. I am almost offended that they would spend time on this (and the Mario thing in the back) then help real animals.

#35 Posted by NegativeCero (2973 posts) -

It's corny but serviceable as a fake Pokemon game. I'm assuming they got Nintendo's permission to make this?

#36 Posted by believer258 (11563 posts) -

@NegativeCero said:

It's corny but serviceable as a fake Pokemon game. I'm assuming they got Nintendo's permission to make this?

I doubt it.

At this point they must be parodying themselves. Right? Right?

#37 Posted by ManU_Fan10ne (662 posts) -

This is a new low. Even for PETA.

But it sure is funny!

#38 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -

That shit cray, but it's funny.

#39 Posted by Gamer_152 (14050 posts) -

I don't believe for one second that PETA's actual problem is with this game and I believe gamers are doing exactly what PETA want them to do. It must be understood that while their exact ideologies are laughable, and what they consider ethical treatment of animals to be is disturbing, PETA have a marketing budget of over $30 million. Their marketers aren't dumb, they're fishing for people who are going to get angry and start yelling about them, because that's a very effective way of getting the name "PETA" spread around and both raising and maintaining awareness of their organisation. Their "I'd rather go naked than wear fur campaign", their campaigns that have involved women in various states of undress, and their "My boyfriend went vegan" campaign are all clear examples that they're looking for controversy.

Unfortunately, PETA have picked up on the clear fact that one of the best groups to try and anger to raise awareness of their organisation is gamers. The gaming community is very in touch with the internet, allowing us to quickly and effectively spread opinions and ideas, many of us are very loud, and many of us don't deal with things calm and rationally, but act immature and angrily when things don't go our way. Every time you post a hate-filled comment on a forum or in a comments section about how stupid PETA are, you're raising awareness of an organisation that kills animals and saps away profits from those genuinely trying to protect animals, and they know it. That's why this is about the fourth time this has happened, because every time they try to provoke a reaction in us we give them exactly what they want. It happened with that Cooking Mama game, it happened with Super Tofu Boy, it happened with that Mario Tanooki Suit game, and now it's happening with this.

By all means, talk about PETA, but when you do, don't just spread their name about and talk about their marketing materials. If you really want to hurt PETA, show that these campaigns are a ploy for attention, inform people just how fucked up they really are as an organisation, and donate to and/or raise awareness for genuinely helpful animal-based charities that PETA is hamstringing like the World Wildlife Fund or the NSPCA.

#40 Posted by 4outof5 (21 posts) -

Damn PETA has a better k/d ratio than most pro halo players.

#41 Posted by Apathylad (3066 posts) -

@Phatmac said:

I'm shocked that PETA is well informed enough to know how to make a game and make some decent art. I'm throughly impressed. I'd rather play this than Black 2! Good job, PETA.

It should be clarified that PETA didn't code this game. By the looks of it, they hired this company to make the game for them:

http://thisispop.com/index.php?/projects/clients/

#42 Posted by Phatmac (5720 posts) -

@Apathylad said:

@Phatmac said:

It should be clarified that PETA didn't code this game. By the looks of it, they hired this company to make the game for them:

http://thisispop.com/index.php?/projects/clients/

Well fuck PETA? I still find this vastly more interesting than any Pokemon game ever. I want a full game out of this.

#43 Posted by JeanLuc (3565 posts) -

I played the whole thing because I felt like I should. First off who ever make this actually knows their shit about Pokemon. Also their fake Pokemon music was surprisingly good. I really dig the after battle "we've all learned a lesson" music.

#44 Posted by Iodine (540 posts) -

A wild PETA appeared

PETA Used Mudslap

It's not very effective.....

#45 Posted by vikingdeath1 (925 posts) -

Come on guys, just looks at their credits! they had TWO pokemon Experts!

#46 Posted by the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG (4307 posts) -
@Gamer_152 said:

I don't believe for one second that PETA's actual problem is with this game and I believe gamers are doing exactly what PETA want them to do. It must be understood that while their exact ideologies are laughable, and what they consider ethical treatment of animals to be is disturbing, PETA have a marketing budget of over $30 million. Their marketers aren't dumb, they're fishing for people who are going to get angry and start yelling about them, because that's a very effective way of getting the name "PETA" spread around and both raising and maintaining awareness of their organisation. Their "I'd rather go naked than wear fur campaign", their campaigns that have involved women in various states of undress, and their "My boyfriend went vegan" campaign are all clear examples that they're looking for controversy.

Unfortunately, PETA have picked up on the clear fact that one of the best groups to try and anger to raise awareness of their organisation is gamers. The gaming community is very in touch with the internet, allowing us to quickly and effectively spread opinions and ideas, many of us are very loud, and many of us don't deal with things calm and rationally, but act immature and angrily when things don't go our way. Every time you post a hate-filled comment on a forum or in a comments section about how stupid PETA are, you're raising awareness of an organisation that kills animals and saps away profits from those genuinely trying to protect animals, and they know it. That's why this is about the fourth time this has happened, because every time they try to provoke a reaction in us we give them exactly what they want. It happened with that Cooking Mama game, it happened with Super Tofu Boy, it happened with that Mario Tanooki Suit game, and now it's happening with this.

By all means, talk about PETA, but when you do, don't just spread their name about and talk about their marketing materials. If you really want to hurt PETA, show that these campaigns are a ploy for attention, inform people just how fucked up they really are as an organisation, and donate to and/or raise awareness for genuinely helpful animal-based charities that PETA is hamstringing like the World Wildlife Fund or the NSPCA.

Gamer has a really good point.  PETA feeds off of the negative energy on the internet and it gets the organization's name spread around more.  Then the majority who arent really internet saavy just pick up on the fact that PETA's a huge thing that helps animals and thats really all PETA needs.  
#47 Posted by TheVideoHustler (406 posts) -

Does anyone else think that the busted up Pikachu looks kinda badass?

#48 Posted by AndrewB (7444 posts) -

Without the time to rewrite the whole huge thing I had written about this from the thread that was closed in the middle of me writing, my general massage is that I believe in the idea behind PETA, but they've been going about informing people in the exact wrong way. I don't feel like faux games aimed at kids is helping anyone, even if it gets this minority of gamers following it riled up, and the kind of people who are going to play a fantasy game like Pokemon and think that running an animal fighting ring is okay are too beyond being a moral human being to redeem with such a stupid method.

I could never give a dime to such an organization, even if I believe in their overall cause. I've even convinced my mom to stop doing so.

#49 Edited by TruthTellah (8414 posts) -

I think and a few others are right on the money here. By referring to and complaining about their idiotic little promotion at all, we are falling into PETA's campaign to make them still appear more relevant than they actually are. Have we not learned from terrorist organizations in the past? A handful of people try to get the name of their terrorist organization out there through violent acts or big crazy statements, and in people's outrage, they aggrandize them. Look at Westboro Baptist Church. People talk about them like they're some big plague. WBC has less than 100 people in its group. There are probably more people who will eventually reply to this thread than actively participate in WBC's hateful protesting. But it's people buying into their campaign to draw outrage that feed their image into being something bigger than they are.

PETA is manipulating people with this Pokemon nonsense and other campaigns like it, and unfortunately, it's super effective.

#50 Posted by clstirens (847 posts) -

@TruthTellah: "it's super effective"

Badum tish