#1  Edited By lemon360
kmdrkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By kmdrkul

I voted no; I mean, I hate shelling out cash for 3-4 maps just as much as the next person, but the developer did spend time working on them and we can't just expect to get everything for free.  DLC is simple, if you really like the game, then buy the DLC and you'll have no regrets.  If you only casually and occasionally enjoy a certain game, don't waste your money.  Maybe it's just that a lot of gamers don't seem to have disposable income, but the occasional ten (more) bucks dropped on a game you really like playing does't really seem like that big of a sting in my wallet, especially when I have full intentions on getting as much use out of them as possible.

StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

#3  Edited By StarFoxA

Yes, absolutely. I'm never going to pay $10 for DLC unless it adds a fair amount of content (five maps doesn't count as "decent amount"). By decent amount, I mean adding several hours to the game (e.g. Fallout 3 DLC).

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By The_A_Drain

Totally depends on the financial situation of the developer. It really shouldnt be up to consumers at all, I know we all like to feel we dictate what's worth money and what isnt, and on a larger scale, we do. But if a company is going to develop a product seperate to that of the main game, they have to see some profit from it because people have to be paid.

If they are still seeing mass profits from their game however, then yeah a nice map or two as a thank you for the support would be nice. But the huge majority of developers see one lump sum from the publisher on release of a game and nothing afterwards, asking/expecting them to do put out maps for free is kinda bullshit if you ask me.

Edit: StarFoxA: I agree with the sentiment, but for those who are into the multiplayer, i'd say they probably add more game hours than any Fallout DLC could.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By jakob187

I don't think that ALL map packs should be free, but I do think that developers should throw a bone to the players every once in a while.  With that said, the developers are taking extra time to offer continued support for their games on console, and in turn, they should be paid for it.

HOWEVER...most PC content is free.  Therefore, the argument starts to turn REALLY ugly.

In the end, that's a double-sided blade that no matter which end you balance on, you're gonna get your nuts sliced eventually.
The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By The_A_Drain
@jakob187:

You say most, but in the olden days it would be shop-bound expansion packs, and the awesome stuff Epic put out (huge updates for no apparent reason, awesome) and a few select other companies. Aside from that and patches, you mostly paid for expansions in much the same way, or picked up mod content for free. That and PC based developers often see more money out of their product for a longer period of time, especially self-published ones as the developers and console manufacturers take less of a cut.
marlow83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#7  Edited By marlow83

From a consumer standpoint, yes, because free is always good. But I guess the developers should get paid for extra work, so, my vote is "depends"

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By crunchUK

Not really because take halo 3 for instance, if they didn't get money from map packs they wouldn't continue to support and update matchmaking. Again you don't HAVE to buy them if you don't want to. Like i wouldn't buy a gears 2 map pack because well... i don't think gears 2 is good enough ot be worth it

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#9  Edited By mracoon

I just think paying for content means your giving yourself the ability to play against less people. I think most people don't buy map packs and so if you do your going to be playing against fewer people then before.

Valve seems to have got it right with TF2. Every time they a new update they make a big event out of it so that more people get interested in the game and they usually lower the price too. It makes people like me continue to play the game years later and get new people to buy the game because it's still fresh.

AzureSupernova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By AzureSupernova

I guess it depends. I mean take a look at the massive riot the RE5 DLC caused because it was supposedly already on the disc. Again, it's their stuff and they should be able to charge if they want to. If you're like me and pretty muched ditched CoD4 and CoD:WaW after the solo campaign, then don't bother, but if you spend a couple hours a day on Multiplayer they buy it, it'll be worth it.

Fosssil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By Fosssil

I think it's certainly fair to pay some sort of fee for content, if only to support the developer, but I see some disturbing trends developing that makes me nervous for the future of paid DLC. For example, the recent trend of releasing a map pack for a game that is less than two months old (ie. Gears 2) seems more like corporate-milkage than fan-service.

Death_Unicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By Death_Unicorn

They should definitively be cheaper than DLC's that add tons of content.

j0rdan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By j0rdan

If they were free they wouldnt get made.

You can say PC games get free map packs but the fact is PC games have much longer lives than the average console game and so the free content is there to entice new customers.

You gotta remember it costs money to do these things so you have to expect to pay for it.

And you can say "welll Im never shelling out x amount for DLC", ok so what, your not there target audience then, as there are many people who are willing to pay for it.

You got to remember these arent groups of people whose sole purpose is to satisfy you guys,  they are companies, and there sole purpose is to make money, simple as that.

AzureSupernova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By AzureSupernova

I think perhaps a system is in order, such as Trophies and Achievements being worth a certain amount of points. Those points could perhaps then be used to knock a certain percentage off of DLCs price off.... but I've had that idea since PlayStation Home... Trophies for currency

lemon360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By lemon360
@AzureSupernova said:
" I think perhaps a system is in order, such as Trophies and Achievements being worth a certain amount of points. Those points could perhaps then be used to knock a certain percentage off of DLCs price off.... but I've had that idea since PlayStation Home... Trophies for currency "
that does sound like a good idea, but there would be problems with that.
AzureSupernova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By AzureSupernova

@lemon360 said:

"@AzureSupernova said:
" I think perhaps a system is in order, such as Trophies and Achievements being worth a certain amount of points. Those points could perhaps then be used to knock a certain percentage off of DLCs price off.... but I've had that idea since PlayStation Home... Trophies for currency "
that does sound like a good idea, but there would be problems with that."

Oh definitely, there's always problems...

BigBoss1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By BigBoss1911

Not free,but alot cheaper than they usually are.For example 3 maps should be no more 5 bucks.

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By The_A_Drain
@AzureSupernova said:
"I guess it depends. I mean take a look at the massive riot the RE5 DLC caused because it was supposedly already on the disc. Again, it's their stuff and they should be able to charge if they want to. If you're like me and pretty muched ditched CoD4 and CoD:WaW after the solo campaign, then don't bother, but if you spend a couple hours a day on Multiplayer they buy it, it'll be worth it. "

I've said it before and i'll say it again, as a programmer that whole issue pissed me the fuck off.

All the art assets are on the disc, they are just re-used in the same way most multiplayer levels re-use single player art assets. All the code was developed entirely seperately by a different team of people, and the low file size is accounted for by it being majority code, which takes up an insanely small amount of space next to art assets.

But it forms the bulk of my point, consumers don't know, or care about these things and developers should know that and avoid these situations with clever release scheduling.
AzureSupernova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By AzureSupernova
@The_A_Drain said:
"@AzureSupernova said:
"I guess it depends. I mean take a look at the massive riot the RE5 DLC caused because it was supposedly already on the disc. Again, it's their stuff and they should be able to charge if they want to. If you're like me and pretty muched ditched CoD4 and CoD:WaW after the solo campaign, then don't bother, but if you spend a couple hours a day on Multiplayer they buy it, it'll be worth it. "
I've said it before and i'll say it again, as a programmer that whole issue pissed me the fuck off.All the art assets are on the disc, they are just re-used in the same way most multiplayer levels re-use single player art assets. All the code was developed entirely seperately by a different team of people, and the low file size is accounted for by it being majority code, which takes up an insanely small amount of space next to art assets.But it forms the bulk of my point, consumers don't know, or care about these things and developers should know that and avoid these situations with clever release scheduling. "

I'll agree there, but you can't really blame the developers for trying to be crafty like that... I blame the consumer in that case for not staring at the tiny file size and thinking "WTF =O"
The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By The_A_Drain
@AzureSupernova:

My point is that consumers, as uneducated as they are in the ways of game development, see a 10 meg file or whatever and go "OMG IM BEING RIPPED!!! AWOOOGAH AWOOOGAHH!!!!" despite the fact an artist team could crank out a mediocre map in a couple days, and that could be hundreds of megabytes, whereas 10 meg of code could be anything up to thousands and thousands of man-hours worth of code. Undoubtedly more expensive to produce than a map pack, and yet people assume they are being ripped off because they dont know any better.

TobyD81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 29

#21  Edited By TobyD81
@StarFoxA: That's kinda apples and oranges, putting paid multiplayer content in the same box as paid solo content. I'm with you in that I'll probably never pay for new maps, because I'm not that into multiplayer shooters, but also like you and Fallout 3, I was happy to pay 20 bucks for The Lost and Damned. I'm sure plenty of COD4 diehards can't wait to pay for new maps because that's what they look for in added content. I'd be happy to get  those maps for free, but I don't expect it since if those maps are done right, they require time and resources to develop, test, and balance before release.

To the RE5 issue: I don't really care whether the multiplayer mode was on the disc or not, but just having to pay for it crosses a line. Not every game has to have multiplayer, but if it does, then that mode should be free.
The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By The_A_Drain
@TobyD81:

The problem there is that everybody has that expectation, and for people who dont give a shit about multiplayer, you could argue just as easily that devoting time and resources from an already short single player campaign for a shitty, tack on multiplayer is crossing a line, especially for a series that's never ever embraced multiplayer. Outbreak being the one exception. I could say just as easily that if multiplayer die hards want it, great, they can pay extra for it as including it in the main game 'for free' has to come at the expense of something else, it doesnt just get farted out by a magic monkey people have to put time and effort into it, and unless it's budgeted as a seperate product and sold seperately, it's going to draw resources from the main project.

But the point has been made countless times in this thread, consumers are morons and they expect stuff for free just because other people provide it for free, they just can't see where they are actually paying for it, usually it comes at the cost of at least a chapters worth of single player. I'm quite glad I didnt have Resi 5's shitty multiplayer forced upon me but the huge majority of short-sighted consumers would disagree with me quite violently.

Besides, it has a coop mode already and that's included because it was actually part of the product. The mutliplayer is a seperate product, in effect it's like walking into a Tesco and buying an apple, and expecting to get an orange for free just because another supermarket offers that deal. You're quite welcome to go back to the other supermarket, or buy the product as presented.
Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Hitchenson
@crunchUK said:
" Not really because take halo 3 for instance, if they didn't get money from map packs they wouldn't continue to support and update matchmaking. Again you don't HAVE to buy them if you don't want to. Like i wouldn't buy a gears 2 map pack because well... i don't think gears 2 is good enough ot be worth it "
Bungie always wanted the DLC to be free, Microsoft forced the charge for it. I doubt Bungie complained that much ...but I don't think that that's the reason they continue to support MM.

Anyway, I buy so much DLC even for games I don't play that much, as long as it adds decent content to the game, I'm happy. I don't really see the big deal, 800MSP is what? £4-6? Big deal...
JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#24  Edited By JoelTGM

No, if the game companies involved are good enough to make more maps, then I'd be happy to see more money going to them.  Just don't overprice it; they have to remember that the game is worth $60 packed full of content, so a few maps should not equal $15.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#25  Edited By jakob187
@The_A_Drain said:
" @jakob187: You say most, but in the olden days it would be shop-bound expansion packs, and the awesome stuff Epic put out (huge updates for no apparent reason, awesome) and a few select other companies. Aside from that and patches, you mostly paid for expansions in much the same way, or picked up mod content for free. That and PC based developers often see more money out of their product for a longer period of time, especially self-published ones as the developers and console manufacturers take less of a cut. "
I'm not referring to expansion packs, but rather the content updates that came with patches...such as updating balance issues and such, along with like a new map or something.  By no means am I talking content updates as big as stuff like TF2, WoW, and the likes.  Back in the day, it was stuff like "hey, this patch fixes a few issues, balances some stuff out, and oh, we've got 1 new map for you" and we were happier than a pig in shit!
gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 31

#26  Edited By gla55jAw

I like the pay when it's new then 6 months to a year later it's free.

dsplayer1010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

User Lists: 6

#27  Edited By dsplayer1010

I have no problem with paying for extra content as long as it's worth it.

pfunk13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By pfunk13

there is clearly a differance from maps for multiplayers and DLC's for more single player content.  I enjoy the hours of online shooting of other people, but i don't buy maps cause I think they're too much.  COD WAW has plently of maps in game to not bore me into paying $10 for 3 maps.  however if I could get all the maps and an extra gun or two or more ranks I would be willing to 10-15 dollars. 

At the other end when the fallout 3 DLC comes to PSN I would easily pay the $10 for one of them and if I enjoy it than maybe another.  In the end I just wish there was some way to know up front how much DLC stuff will be coming.  When COD sells MW2 they should make it clear that there will be atleast 2 map packs and x amount of maps on original game. 

Out_On_Bail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#29  Edited By Out_On_Bail

It completely depends upon when we get it. If it comes out at release then yes it should be free. If it comes out months after a release then no it should not be.

sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#30  Edited By sjschmidt93

Do I want them to be free? Well I don't give a shit about most shooters

But they should definitely cost money.. unless you're Valve and somehow they can cut prices and give out free stuff and not lose money...

zyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By zyn

On topic: Map Packs?  Yes.  Off topic: other types of DLC - like GTA IV's "Lost and the Damned", No.  The former being just a map.  The latter being actual gameplay content that expands the story.

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By The_A_Drain
@jakob187:

True, but then balance updates/tweakes really should be free. It's nice that they gave out free maps back then, but generally those were nicer less corperate times. That and a lot of developers back the geniunely loved their games and would make maps in their own free time to go out with content patches. Nowadays you only see that from people like Epic, and even then Microsoft now make them charge for it, but I would assume they do it inside work hours rather than their own time now.
JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#33  Edited By JJOR64

I want them all to be free but, that will never happen.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By penguindust

Any map pack that is a year old should be free, anything that is more than 6 months old should be half price and anything new is priced at whatever the publisher deems reasonable.  Of course, everyone wants everything to be free, but that ain't how the world works (on consoles), so I am willing to pay for map packs if they seem worth it for the price and I expect I'll get a decent amount of play from them.  I don't pay for Halo or Gears maps because I don't play those games multiplayer often, but I do enjoy COD multiplayer so buying them makes sense since I will actually play those maps.

pieboy12321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By pieboy12321

Map packs should be free considering you payed $60 for the game, something like TLAD though is worth paying for

rokkis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By rokkis

I never have, and never will, pay for a map pack.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By mordukai

Depends how they price them. I understand why they charge for them but I think the gaming industry needs to accommodate itself to this global economic recession. 

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#38  Edited By RHCPfan24

It depends. Obviously, I love free stuff, but, at the same time, not everything is free and why should a map pack that the developers put a lot of effort into post-release (such as the Halo 3 Mythic map pack) be free? They deserve the money that they worked hard for. Still, there are some sucky map packs out there as well that don't deserve to be paid for but, you know what?, just DON'T BUY THEM. Period. Still, some people pay for them and regret it, complaining about the game itself now.

Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Suicrat
@StarFoxA: Uhh... don't you realize that a person can get way more hours of gameplay out of multiplayer maps than they can out of a side quest in Fallout 3?
StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By StarFoxA
@Suicrat: It really depends on the person. If I bought a $10 map pack for Gears of War 2, then I wouldn't use those maps at all (unless I wanted to grab some achievements in local play), while if I pick up Fallout 3 or other single-player DLC (in a game I enjoy), then it adds several more hours of gameplay time.
Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Suicrat
@StarFoxA: Generally speaking, more hours of gameplay can be derived from multiplayer content than from single player.
StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By StarFoxA
@Suicrat: Extra maps don't add gameplay time. I never bought the map pack in CoD4, even though I spent a ridiculous amount of time in that game. Maps don't really add gameplay time, because those players would still be playing the game regardless, but rather add more variety. I don't think it really extends the amount of time someone is going to play the game.
Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Azteck

Depends really, I don't really think the map pack for CoD4 should've cost what it did, it wasn't that good to be honest. :/

Icil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Icil

In my opinion, DLC costs should be part of the game's original budget and should be an late-release 'bonus' with my 60$ purchase.

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#45  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor

In Halo 2, they would let you download the maps for free after a set period. I wish it was the same with map packs today. At some point, they should just let everyone download them for nothing.

jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By jeffgoldblum

Do I want to spend more money? Hell No.
Should the developer get payed for supporting a game after release? Hell Yes.

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By The_A_Drain
@Icil said:
"In my opinion, DLC costs should be part of the game's original budget and should be an late-release 'bonus' with my 60$ purchase."

How do you figure that? And what would be the point?

If it's part of the games original budget, wouldnt you rather just have it in the game at the time of purchase? Seems kinda backward to me.
m_rum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By m_rum

I don't think it's fair to want them to be free since they probably still require some manpower. But they could be priced more reasonably. Ten bucks for couple of maps feels like a rip-off in my opinion thus I haven't bought any.

Icil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Icil
@The_A_Drain said:
"How do you figure that? And what would be the point?If it's part of the games original budget, wouldnt you rather just have it in the game at the time of purchase? Seems kinda backward to me. "
What I mean is that if the studio plans on making content after release, their compensation should come from the game's original budget, and not from DLC sales.

Edit: I read somewhere (I think it was Bungie's blog) that it's hard to make DLC free because Microsoft wants to be compensated for the data transfer costs of downloading the content. Which makes me wonder why I'm paying for XBox Live in the first place. Apparently advertisements are worth the data transfer.
lebkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By lebkin

Personally, I think map packs should be free and I voted as such.  This is because I generally think they are not worth the money.  Even worse, they discourage me from investing too much of my time into any multiplayer.  I have no desire to put extra money into a $60 game, and so I would be "left behind" by a games online community as it moved onto new maps.

All that said, map packs are huge sellers.  Millions downloads show that there is plenty of demand, even when the maps are highly priced.  So the capitalist in me says to go for it.  Charge what you think you can get for maps.  No reason give away for free when people are willing to pay.