Polygon console review score

Nomin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 9

#151  Edited By Nomin

I think Xbone got a higher score because they explain it thus: It is more forward looking and has better games out of the gate. Doesn't matter in the long run whatsoever. PS4 could be deemed more forward looking due to allocating its hardware resources to better run high def content in higher resolutions that gives developers more legroom in terms of graphics fidelity. Xbone must improve upon its Kinect integration but questions remain as to its viability, especially in games. If you don't watch cable TV, Xbone's advantages quickly dwindle. But if you decide down the road to opt in, then it is there to integrate everything in a neat package. The demonstration of the seamless transition from OS, to game, to app was downright revelatory. That is the allure and potential, which I think is worth a .5, along with a breadth of games available from day one Forza 5 driving simulation being the standard, followed by Dead Rising 3, and surprising entry of Killer Instinct.

I don't know whether they are any good or trustworthy. Generally I find their site cluttered and tacky. But goodness, the layout and presentation of their features are simply extraordinary.

lightsoda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

I guess it's easier for parents or those without much deeper knowledge to just pick a console based on a score at a glance.

To me personally it doesn't matter, a number score on a new console doesn't make much sense.

IAmNotBatman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#153  Edited By IAmNotBatman

Reading this thread, you guys are proving Polygon's decision to be correct for their website, whether you think it's a good idea or not... 4,500+ views and 150+ comments on this forum post :/

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Both the review text on the PS4 and Xbox One reviews are supposedly fine ( i wouldn't know, cause i couldn't make it through it all with all that visual splooge in my face) i just watched the video review.

But putting a score on them at the end is just dumb. These consoles are just coming out, and they don't even do all the things that they are supposed to do yet. So unless they actually go back and redo the scores each time there is a new firmware update that adds functionality, its just fucking stupid.

excast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155  Edited By excast

I think I am done with Polygon after this console launch. Microsoft releases a product that is literally a brick without a sizable update and that is apparently less offensive than a few subpar games on the PS4. Odd priorities, but it shouldn't be shocking from a website that admitted to taking nearly a million dollars from Microsoft. I can't take them seriously anymore and am not going to support them with any web traffic. I like some of the personalities there, but the site overall is not something I feel is positive for the industry.

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#156  Edited By Rafaelfc

This is why you should never review MMO's either

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Reviewing launch consoles seems silly, but looking at Polygon's reviews, they gave Microsoft just a slightly higher score. From what I've heard, they've got the smoother interface at the moment, plus the TV feature that Sony doesn't have so sure, that sounds perfectly reasonable.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#158  Edited By Brendan

I think Polygons reviews would have been improved by concluding them like Norman Chan from Tested (or I'm sure many others) does. Acknowledge different perspectives and give recommendations based on use cases. Readers get advice based on where theyre coming from instead of feeling like a use-case is being dictated as superior. The reviewer should clearly stand behind their own opinion and walk a line between one side or the other but there would be much less controversy if they succeed.

slyspider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Polygon is a joke site, doesn't matter what the score is they gave the consoles, reviewing a console is fucking stupid. The only thing that won't change in a year is the hardware and they are basically identical. Are you going to update the review every time new games come out? If not, a year out the review would become not only stupid but entirely misleading. The four seconds of thought needed to point shit like this out must be beyond the reach of polygon staff.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

People have been gobbling up and bickering about every rumour and piece of misinformation for months. Then somebody tries to provide an informative (and exhaustive) hands-on impression and all you guys can do is bitch about it having a number.

Another shining moment for videogame players everywhere.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#161  Edited By pr1mus

Don't read polygon people.

Corvak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked how RPS did a console review of "The PC" as a sort of joke. Because it brought to the forefront how much we chase after dumb meaningless numbers. Polygon's in that group of sites where I really like a couple of their writers, won't read a couple others, and feel no real need to involve myself in their community.

Also, these platform reviews feel extra meaningless because if a review's intent is to provide data to base purchasing decisions from, all of these reviews will be long buried under newer games when these consoles are easily available for sale again.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#163  Edited By Oldirtybearon

@professoress said:

People have been gobbling up and bickering about every rumour and piece of misinformation for months. Then somebody tries to provide an informative (and exhaustive) hands-on impression and all you guys can do is bitch about it having a number.

Another shining moment for videogame players everywhere.

While I agree, assigning a score to a console is pretty stupid.

erhard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It seems like a prettier version of Kotaku.

thatdutchguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really don't like polygon.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

The real shame is that I truly enjoy a lot of the content they produce over there. I'm sure they've elected to assign a numerical score to the hardware after some genuine deliberation, and I'm sure they probably have a good reason to do it. I think it's more just a situation where that score isn't intended for someone like me, an avid gaming consumer, and rather more for someone looking to quickly evaluate whether its worth their money, someone who might otherwise be unfamiliar with the nuts and bolts of the device.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Polygon hate is so adorable <3

Oh noes...they scored the evil MS product higher then the Sony one.

CatsAkimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thinking about it, if you removed the score it's actually a nice roundup article about the strengths and weaknesses of the new platforms. The only reason it's weird is because the put a number at the end, otherwise it's a good opinion piece that includes some interesting info for people wanting to know about either console. Really it's a shame they put a score on it that distracts so much from the actual text.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#169  Edited By spraynardtatum

I don't know, I'm going to feel differently about it tomorrow probably but let them do what they want. They're making their ad money the way they want and they'll make more the more we talk about it.

I have little stock in what they score each console that it doesn't even matter. I've made my decision on the console I want and their input didn't factor in one iota.

If you don't like the idea of it you should never have clicked on it. They don't deserve your click money.

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

@truthtellah: it didn't "bother" me. A factual error is an error regardless. What I found questionable was him trying to massage the truth after it was pointed out.

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171  Edited By Rafaelfc

I'd say being the platform (excluding PC in this case) to deliver the best versions of multiplatform games should be taken into consideration.

A lot of people preferred the 360 over PS3 simply because of better multiplats.

But hey, i'm no journalist and I really want an Xbone to go alongside my PS4...

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think assigning number scores to consoles is dumb, since it is different than reviewing a Blu-Ray player or washing machine. With that said, I would agree with rating the Xbox One higher than the PS4 out of the box if they're basing it on a list of checkboxes only. The problem will be for those who don't care about some of those checkboxes. Don't care about TV? Then both consoles may be a 7.5 for you. Neither console has launch titles that appeal to you, then they are both less than that.

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

It's almost like people can read the review, parse the information in said review, and make a buying decision for themselves.

TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#174  Edited By TheMasterDS

I think review numbers on consoles are rediculous but they also reaffirm my suspicions about the Xbox One vs the PlayStation 4 after spending time with my PS4. That the PS4 is rough and, while more powerful, doesn't use that power especially well. Meanwhile the Xbox One's UI is from the future and is a pleasure to use. There are a ton of tiny aspects in which one can see that Microsoft has spent far more time thinking about user experience than Sony has. Clever solutions on the Xbox One matched with clumsy interfaces on the PS4.

It comes down to one being more pleasant to use and the other having better hardware, marketing and indie wrangling. I have to say, I like me a good UI. I reckon the score is accurate.

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Preposterous

DonutFever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#176  Edited By DonutFever

Too early. It's like saying a fighting game is "balanced" in a review, you have to wait until the public's had it's hands on it for a while before you can know for sure.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think Polygon - being the bastion of argument for feminism, diversity and all-round idealism in gaming - should specify whether these numbers are applicable the world over, because right now where I live the PS4 is the clear choice and is coming in December, Xbox One is expected "sometime in 2014" and its set-top box utility will be useless.

StingingVelvet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

Gotta love journalists acting baffled by fanboy arguments on twitter who then write console reviews with numbers, putting one .5 above the other. Whatever could cause these fanboy debates???

Anyway, Xbox is better hardware if the media stuff interests you. It doesn't interest me, so I prefer the more powerful gaming machine that is the PS4. In the end these are the choices we make and none of them are wrong or right, they just are.

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sinusoidal: well, it's a US-based site, so it will have a bias for that market. You can take their reviews to only apply to their market.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anyone watches the live stream? Looks like they tear apart their own review with that stream. Especially Kinect is not working at all.

TerraDelu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Again, I just wish that hadn't assigned a number to their hardware reviews. When you read the content of both reviews, it's REALLY hard to understand why the PS4 scores lower than the Xbox One. I enjoyed both reviews, but the actual scores are fucking bullshit, and I feel like the score almost invalidates the content of the text.

yukoasho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

Honest opinion: they can do whatever they want, but assigning a score to a console that's been out for a day is fucking pointless. Like, one of the most pointless things ever. Like, it angers me how pointlessly meaningless it is.

This.

You asses a console's overall worth after it's been on the market at least a year, and its final standing against its peers at the end. These consoles are too young for this conversation.

Is this turning into another "Polygon is dumb" thread? Because Polygon is sort of dumb.

Well, former Kotaku staff, what else did anyone expect?

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183  Edited By crithon

well.... uhhh.... yeah, it's not really what I expect for the Xbox one review. "Looking forward then it looks back, the Xbox One FEELS like it's from the future." Justin McElroy says it while trying to be whole fluffiness. I feel that they are using Justin as VOICE for this Polygon because people trusted him with Joystiq.... and it's a fluff piece, click views while trying to be inoffensive and half assed critique. The numbers don't mean anything, this is a seasonal buyers guide you would find on Toys R Us.

Bobbyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pretty sure the only reason they rated the two consoles was for the clicks. The same can kinda be said with game reviews, I suppose

chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185  Edited By chrissedoff

these assholes are only writing stuff because they want people to read it what a bunch of sellout posers i have cracked their evil scheme wide open hahahahahahaha

Avatar image for citizencoffeecake
citizencoffeecake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think they made a bunch of legitimate points in the review, it's a good console that will probably improve with time. That being said, as much as I used to like Justin McElroy when he was with Joystiq, Polygon is very off-putting. It has something to do with the fluffy, over-producedness.. new word.

Buble

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sunbrozak: Justin and his brothers have a podcast and both him and Griffin are almost impossible not to like. I really want to like Polygon but it's pretty lame and sloppy looking.

Podcast

grizmack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wjb: I may or may not have Flagged your comment. It was an accident, I swear. I actually liked the comment, it was just that my finger slipped or something.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189  Edited By Darji

After Watching this Giantbomb TV Quicklook and a bit of the Polygon Live stream I really can not understand the score at all. Kinect is not working correctly for most of the time and now imagine people with no knowledge about this stuff? It will be a pain in the Ass for these people. The main feature is not working, The snap function seems broken but hey lets give it a 8.0^^

impartialgecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

As a person who plays videogames I think attaching a score to a system that's going to evolve over the course of 5-8 years is super dumb. As a consumer it totally makes sense. Tech sites review devices all the time, why should consoles be any different? It's just strange Polygon, a site catering to people who understand the reality of how consoles change over time, is doing this.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191  Edited By ProfessorEss

@bobbyr said:

Pretty sure the only reason they rated the two consoles was for the clicks. The same can kinda be said with game reviews, I suppose

Beats the hell out of the articles we were being served for clicks before the war started. It's kinda nice to be arguing about games and hardware instead of "issues" :)

Tom_Scherschel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jinstarwing: What is wrong with people like you? First off, how do you so majorly misunderstand how a review score is formulated, and second why do you care what the score is? Wait, are you Mark Cerny? I guess if you're Mark Cerny I understand why you care. If you're not Mark Cerny though, you should really not give a shit what number some website assigns some product you like.

thatdudeguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193  Edited By thatdudeguy

Just to throw this out there, I enjoy Polygon. I don't think there's an undue Microsoft bias in their coverage, and I dig their living review policy.

If their reviewers happened to enjoy playing one console more than another at this point in time, I don't have a problem with them rating them in relation to each other. Unfair coverage would be purposely obscuring their real experiences with the products, not expressing their subjective opinions of them.

curious_george

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#194  Edited By curious_george

Their live stream said all that needed to be said about the legitimacy of these review scores (unless they had totally different people involved in the review process).

livestream highlights

Missacre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Sony fanboyism here is just getting gross. So what if XBone scored higher than your precious PS4? They're both laughably underpowered and overpriced machines anyway. Also, it seems like you guys just LOVE Polygon, seeing as how you keep talking about it, especially with the 6,500 views and nearly 200 replies. Some of you are getting just as bad as Neogaf and Shitaku.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#196  Edited By Darji

@missacre said:

The Sony fanboyism here is just getting gross. So what if XBone scored higher than your precious PS4? They're both laughably underpowered and overpriced machines anyway. Also, it seems like you guys just LOVE Polygon, seeing as how you keep talking about it, especially with the 6,500 views and nearly 200 replies. Some of you are getting just as bad as Neogaf and Shitaku.

So you think it is ok to lie to people? They are praising things that do not work and that customer who read this will find very frustrating. It is not about the fact that the Ps4 scored lower it is about the fact that the Xbone scored this high even being so broken

Dogma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just to throw this out there, I enjoy Polygon. I don't think there's an undue Microsoft bias in their coverage, and I dig their living review policy.

If their reviewers happened to enjoy playing one console more than another at this point in time, I don't have a problem with them rating them in relation to each other. Unfair coverage would be purposely obscuring their real experiences with the products, not expressing their subjective opinions of them.

I'm with you. I think Polygon write some of the best reviews, I think they produce extremely well thought out long form content. I also think that the site is starting to get quite a personality. It's different from Giantbomb though and that is also why it's meaningless when communitys on other sites talk (shit) about other sites because they are often clearly biased aginst other sites and very "brainwashed" into how their favorite sites handle stuff. With that said, Giantbomb is my favorite site overall but I can still appriciate variaity.

Last but not least. I don't see the problem with the score. As consumer product information it reflects what the comsumer get's on day one. One of the clear cons for Playstation 4 is the lack of good exclusive titles. I don't even think that some Kinect shortcoming effects the score that much. I think the tiny little .5 (I also think it's a trivial difference in scorefor people to get up in arms about) difference is much about the games. And as I said in the beginning, 7.5 and 8.0 represents the console in THIS moment in history so the argument "it's stupid to give a score to something that will evolve during 4-5 years" is kind of meaningless since this reflects the consoles TODAY.

I'm totally cool with Polygon having a score. But I didn't put much weight to it but rather read the exhaustive written article and watched the well produced video. Their livestream also helped giving deeper insight just like Giantbombs did. I could watch and make an informed decision myself.

It's really nothing to get upset about.

Missacre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#198  Edited By Missacre

@darji said:

@missacre said:

So you think it is ok to lie to people? They are praising things that do not work and that customer who read this will find very frustrating. It is not about the fact that the Ps4 scored lower it is about the fact that the Xbone scored this high even being so broken

Yeah, the PS4 is broken as shit too, yet no one is complaining about that.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@missacre said:

@darji said:

@missacre said:

Yeah, the PS4 is broken as shit too, yet no one is complaining about that.

How is it broken? Does it not doe the main features it was supposed to? And if were these issues not written down in the review? With the XBox One the most prominent feature Kinect, TV and the Snap function are broken and it was not really mentioned in this review. And they contradicted themselves with their own Livestream, saying stuff like "We want to be quick. Don't use Kinect use a controller" and so on.

mclargepants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#200  Edited By mclargepants

I have such mixed feelings about Polygon. I enjoy their podcast, The Besties, (the McElroys are great) and some of their content is good, but I almost always disagree strongly with their reviews, and their news is rushed out so fast that occasionally it seems irresponsible, and sometimes even with mistakes (there was a story a few months ago about Nintendo earnings, and they got the number wrong by a factor of 10 and never fixed it even though there were several comments regarding it). And it seems like they place flashy website design ahead of good journalism.

Also reviewing consoles is silly, but if you're talking about giving a score based on launch alone, the Xbox probably should score higher because in the one important area it has more good exclusive games. Also I wonder if they'll be updating the Wii U score now that Wind Waker and Mario 3D World are both out.