• 193 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Matthew (1914 posts) -

I know I have all my notifications and such set to let me know asap when the site launches proper. The twitter feeds of those involved are dropping hints left and right, and since they severed their link ties with The Verge last week, the feeling of anticipation is high.

I'm not a huge fan of Gies, but everyone else involved with the writing on there seems to be top notch. I'm planning on using it frequently to get constant news thrown at me. Tricky, Ben Kuchera, Joystiq, and RockPaperShotgun keep me informed at the moment, and Polygon should fill out that list nicely. As far as their site identity goes, I have no idea where they stand. They cover the bases with the text editorial content they're putting out, but I have no idea if they're going to be doing video content, is their podcast any good, are they going to be a presence at conventions, etc. So to see how they're going to evolve (are they going to be charging for content in a years time?) from afar is going to be an interesting proposition.

Eagerly awaiting another site launch I remain,

Matthew

#2 Posted by Milkman (17035 posts) -

Nah. I like the people over there but one video game site is enough for me.

#3 Posted by Phatmac (5726 posts) -

Sure will. I'm mostly interested in how the site looks art design wise. I will also follow Justin and Griffin anywhere.

#4 Posted by Sploder (917 posts) -

Yeah I will, I enjoy some of the articles they put out and I need a new news site to go to because I think my distaste for Kotaku grows every time I visit.

#5 Posted by AngelN7 (2970 posts) -

@Milkman said:

Nah. I like the people over there but one video game site is enough for me.

This because guess what... they're gonna talk about videogames Youtube and Giantbomb is enough for me.

#6 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

I have no idea yet, for pretty obvious reasons

#7 Posted by Weltal (2274 posts) -

Where Justin Mcelroy goes, I go.

#8 Posted by murisan (1119 posts) -

I plan to. I love the current layout on their Verge site, I can't wait to see what they do. I also like their writing and find their opinions respectable.

#9 Posted by Fobwashed (2119 posts) -

Reviews I tend to just get from personalities I know and listening to podcasts so Polygon will live and die for me based on their articles and features. I don't need more reviews or coverage on what's coming out, that I can get from a variety of blog sites. What I'm most interested in nowadays is thoughtful write ups like the ones found at Penny-Arcade Report and here with interviews and write ups by Tricky.

#10 Posted by Dolphin_Butter (1915 posts) -

Not a fan of Gies, nor a fan of Crecente, but it should be easy enough to avoid their writing. If they can truly deliver on the innovations and journalistic integrity they've been vaguely touting, I'm sure I won't be opposed to bookmarking them or clicking on links to the site.

#11 Posted by Demoskinos (15019 posts) -

No.

#12 Posted by jkz (4044 posts) -

I like Arthur, and Justin and Griffin are gods among men in the video-game-writing world. I'll at least see where they go with the site once it launches properly

#13 Posted by SlightConfuse (3963 posts) -

If there current layout is anything like the other box sites then no. Too much ugly

#14 Posted by AlexW00d (6309 posts) -

Nope. I already get news and editorials from RPS and PCGamer, I don't need any more.

#15 Posted by AndrewB (7669 posts) -

I just hope there's not a Polygon podcast which interferes with the recording of Rebel.FM.

#16 Posted by zudthespud (3283 posts) -

Never heard of any of the people there, should I be interested in the site in an objective manner? Are they doing anything new or interesting or just their spin on the video game website?

#17 Posted by Kerned (1170 posts) -

@DolphinButter said:

Not a fan of Gies, nor a fan of Crecente

I would add Justin McElroy to that list as well, about 50% of the time. I'll check the site out though and give them a shot. I like Plante and Frushtick and Griffin McElroy pretty well. I think the site has potential if they can manage to keep it real and keep certain people's giant egos in check.

#18 Posted by Gamer_152 (14091 posts) -

That all depends on the quality of the final site. I'm very interested in seeing the final product though, they might have something great on their hands.

#19 Posted by SomeJerk (3305 posts) -

The Polygon-made image of Polygon as a self-fellating gamesjournalism3.0 circle that makes Tim Rogers shake his head and laugh made me a doubter, not the quarter to a million dollar funding they got from Microsoft.

#20 Edited by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

@Fobwashed said:

I don't need more reviews or coverage on what's coming out, that I can get from a variety of blog sites.

This is pretty much how I feel about it! GiantBomb is more than enough for me video content-wise and I don't really need yet another news site.

#21 Posted by Vonocourt (2141 posts) -

Was interested when I heard who was going there, been listening to Besties for a while now, and the article they did on Ipod Video's failed attempt at becoming a video game platform was pretty great.

So yeah.

#22 Posted by MistaSparkle (2148 posts) -

I dunno. We'll see.

#23 Posted by Hailinel (25179 posts) -

Nope.

#24 Posted by Fallen189 (5036 posts) -

What is it?

#25 Posted by Kerned (1170 posts) -

@SomeJerk: The Microsoft funding is incredibly gross, and completely unethical for a group of people claiming to revolutionize journalism.

#26 Posted by wewantsthering (1578 posts) -

I'll check it out when it launches and frequent monthly at the most probably.

#27 Posted by flasaltine (1684 posts) -

PRESENTING SPONSOR New! Clear Men Scalp Therapy™

What? I don't think so.

#28 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4643 posts) -

@Gamer_152 said:

That all depends on the quality of the final site. I'm very interested in seeing the final product though, they might have something great on their hands.

This.

I really like some of the people working over at Polygon so if it turns out to be a great site then good. However, I already have more than enough sources for everything game-related so if it's just "meh" then whatever. I'll be fine either way.

#29 Posted by JJOR64 (19023 posts) -

Probably not.

#30 Posted by rjayb89 (7726 posts) -

I ain't gonna lie. I actively dislike Russ Frushtick. I skip the rest of their podcast once Frushtick goes into his one shitty accent for everything. Anytime someone shit-talks Patrick Klepek here, I'm reminded of how much I think Frushtick is a piece of shit and I can't explain why so I keep my mouth shut when I want to tell someone off for disliking someone whose opinion in video games is one I highly value along with the rest of the crew.

#31 Posted by dekkadekkadekka (736 posts) -

They got funding from Microsoft? How can they possibly have any credibility now?

#32 Posted by handlas (2700 posts) -

Sure, why not?

#33 Posted by zombie2011 (4983 posts) -

Giantbomb is the only VG site i visit, and i plan to keep it that way.

#34 Posted by zoozilla (980 posts) -

Some of the long-form articles they've put out have been pretty amazing, so I'm cautiously optimistic.

I also really liked The Escapist back when Russ Pitts was editor-in-chief.

#35 Posted by GeekDown (1170 posts) -

No, I doubt it. Between GameInformer and Giant Bomb I have all the video game coverage I need.

#36 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7099 posts) -

Can someone explain the Gies hate to me? I'm curious to know what it is about him people seem to active dislike.

#37 Posted by Cowmeat (142 posts) -

Nope.

#38 Posted by Nev (556 posts) -

Nah. Giant Bomb is enough news and content for me, and I've never heard of any of those people aside from the Elroy guy, from when he talked about Sherlock Holmes on some Giant Bomb live stream I barely remember. That's it, though. *shrug*

#39 Posted by FLStyle (4768 posts) -

I will test the waters for a couple of weeks, maybe even write my thoughts on it here, it should be an interesting comparison to both Giant Bomb and the GameSpots of the world.

#40 Posted by GunstarRed (5308 posts) -

I'm intrigued by what little they show in the documentary. I'm sure it will have some interesting articles and it looks like they're going to have a layout that looks close to a print magazine for that stuff. My biggest problem is that I haven't got a clue who most of those people are, why should I care about their opinion? supposedly this is some kind of super team, but the only one I knew from games journalism was Arthur Gies, and he tends to write good, balanced reviews. I like the McElroy brothers as comedians on their podcast, but find it really hard to care about their opinion on games.

I will probably click around it, but Giant Bomb is my internet home.

#41 Posted by CaLe (4021 posts) -

I don't like reading long passages of text on the internet. If they do video I'll give them more of a shot.

#42 Posted by kishinfoulux (2402 posts) -

So many Arthur haters. Dude's one of the best reviewers out there.

@AndrewB said:

I just hope there's not a Polygon podcast which interferes with the recording of Rebel.FM.

There already is one. The Besties. He's not on it so Rebel FM has been fine (well not including all the breaks they take normally). Not sure if they'll launch a more standard podcast though.

#43 Posted by kishinfoulux (2402 posts) -

@Kerned said:

@SomeJerk: The Microsoft funding is incredibly gross, and completely unethical for a group of people claiming to revolutionize journalism.

Oh god are people still going on about this? The documentary has been great. That's where the money went. Hell any other site would've done the same thing. It was cool to see what goes into making a gaming website.

@MariachiMacabre said:

Can someone explain the Gies hate to me? I'm curious to know what it is about him people seem to active dislike.

It's because he hates the games that people like. Simple as that. He's highly critical and has a high standard. His mission is to make sure you aren't wasting time with shitty games.

#44 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

Nope, don't really see the point and I don't have any interest in gaming 'journalism' anyhow. I only care what gets delayed, who gets shutdown and if a game is broken/really, really shit.

Long winded articles about the industry just don't interest me really, I never read the few we get on here either.

#45 Edited by Chaser324 (6651 posts) -

I'm certainly curious, so I'll take a look initially. If there's quality content, I see no reason why I can't work it into my standard gaming info rotation.

#46 Posted by bibamatt (1089 posts) -

Definitely interested. I've really enjoyed a few of the articles I've read over on their Verge thing recently and, generally, I'm a huge fan of The Verge proper. I like most of the Polygon writers.

I really hope they don't adopt the same stupid ass design, though.

#47 Posted by Rasmoss (460 posts) -

@rjayb89 said:

I ain't gonna lie. I actively dislike Russ Frushtick. I skip the rest of their podcast once Frushtick goes into his one shitty accent for everything. Anytime someone shit-talks Patrick Klepek here, I'm reminded of how much I think Frushtick is a piece of shit and I can't explain why so I keep my mouth shut when I want to tell someone off for disliking someone whose opinion in video games is one I highly value along with the rest of the crew.

So much this. Holy fuck that shit is terrible.

#48 Posted by BulletproofMonk (2725 posts) -

Sure. Probably won't sign up for an account, though.

#49 Posted by Kerned (1170 posts) -

@kishinfoulux said:

@Kerned said:

Oh god are people still going on about this? The documentary has been great. That's where the money went. Hell any other site would've done the same thing. It was cool to see what goes into making a gaming website.

It doesn't matter where the money went. It's a basic principle of journalism that you don't accept money or favors from people you are covering. It's a conflict of interest. This is basic, first year journalism school stuff. To be honest, I don't understand why anyone wouldn't have a problem with it.

And to say that any other site would have done the same is wrong. No journalist with integrity would accept money from someone they are supposed to cover. I can just about guarantee you that Giant Bomb wouldn't slap "Sponsored by Microsoft" logos all over their Quick Looks. Whether the video series was interesting or not isn't relevant. Allowing Microsoft to fund a video series promoting your video game website is just gross.

If they weren't claiming to be the best and most serious games journalists ever, it would be less despicable. But they are making those claims. Sponsored by Microsoft.

#50 Posted by Kerned (1170 posts) -

@kishinfoulux: Besties is a really fun listen. I suspect it is going to become a video podcast this week.