• 110 results
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
#51 Posted by artgarcrunkle (970 posts) -

@Camosid: Two of those guys wear glasses, which are basically a pair of monocles. 1% as fuck.

#52 Posted by stinky (1544 posts) -

@Mikewrestler5 said:

The videos they have shot and cut together are miles ahead of what GB has done since its inception.

to add to this, vox has some damn good designers, their shit is the most polished stuff you'll find on the internet.

i can't say much about Polygon now haven't seen any real content. videos here are too meta, content that talks about itself. not that interesting.

#53 Posted by Deusx (1903 posts) -

@stinky said:

@Mikewrestler5 said:

The videos they have shot and cut together are miles ahead of what GB has done since its inception.

to add to this, vox has some damn good designers, their shit is the most polished stuff you'll find on the internet.

i can't say much about Polygon now haven't seen any real content. videos here are too meta, content that talks about itself. not that interesting.

It's actually just one designer and a bunch of web engineers. He is really good. I've talked to him on twitter, guy makes some amazing stuff.

#54 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

@Deusx said:

Also: "VIDEO GAMES"

Video games.

#55 Posted by yyZiggurat (1015 posts) -

I really enjoy listening to Besties.

#56 Posted by Insectecutor (1186 posts) -

These guys clearly think they are gods fucking gift but I'm not sold. I'll give them a chance but man, that first video was forced.

#57 Edited by Slab64 (1054 posts) -

@MattyFTM said:

I really don't like the name. Polygon seems so generic. But I suppose it's mathematically impossible to have a name better than Giant Bomb, so why bother trying? Just settle for a generic name. And so far the content seems great and I'm looking forward to seeing them launch the full site.

They should have used one of Jeff and Ryans unused domains :P

SNAKESNAKESNAKE.COM FOR All YOUR GAMING NEWS AND OPINIONS

But yeah I posted about these guys before they changed the name, and they really have assembled a Murderer's Row of gaming journalism, but it's still early days. We'll see where they take it...I am cautiously optimistic.

Also, Art Gies is awesome, fuck the haterz!!!1

#58 Edited by Sammo21 (3261 posts) -

it might become #2 but not take over my love of GB...none of the personalities there are anything as awesome as Giant Bomb. Also, Arthur Gies will just make everything depressing. Also, everyone at Giant Bomb is awesome. Everyone at Polygon? lol.

#59 Posted by SuperTess (142 posts) -

Justin McElroy is a magical human being. Seriously, have you ever been hugged by that man? I have and I can say it's pure magic.

#60 Posted by thornie (169 posts) -

@Insectecutor said:

These guys clearly think they are gods fucking gift but I'm not sold. I'll give them a chance but man, that first video was forced.

I agree about the video. When they showed it to us at PAX it was pretty cringe worthy up until the part where Justin cuts through the tension by well, being Justin. If it weren't for him, the site would be too serious/self important for my taste.

#61 Edited by I_smell (3924 posts) -

Oh, sweet, one more youtube account to see the new trailer for Lost Planet 3.

@mortal_sb said:

i don't like my gaming journalism forced and high class.

I don't like it forcedly high class! Starting a video feature with "I play videogames because" is pretty much as boring as starting it with "Are games art???" right now.

#62 Posted by Deusx (1903 posts) -

@SuperTess said:

Justin McElroy is a magical human being. Seriously, have you ever been hugged by that man? I have and I can say it's pure magic.

ONE MAN CAN DREAM.

#63 Posted by Shivoa (625 posts) -
#64 Posted by Little_Socrates (5675 posts) -

I'm loving Besties, been listening since episode IV (though I've gone back to the old episodes as well.) My first visit to their site was to read that Mass Effect 3 review, which I strongly disagree with and I find elements of it to be false, so it did not leave a strong first impression of Mr. Gies.

That said, the Besties crew is fantastic, and so long as that crew remains the core of the site, I'm down for all their upcoming shenanigans.

#65 Posted by Bob_Loblaw (110 posts) -

Yeah MBMBaM is probably my favourite podcast and they seem to assembling a helluva team over at Polygon. I think it looks great and totally scratches a different itch to Giant Bomb. The besties episode talking about keeping your dead dad alive through snowboarding with his ghost in ssx had me laughing like a goon.

#66 Posted by ajamafalous (11959 posts) -
@Mikewrestler5 said:

The videos they have shot and cut together are miles ahead of what GB has done since its inception.

See, I totally disagree. The vibe I got was: 
 
@Insectecutor said:

These guys clearly think they are gods fucking gift but I'm not sold. I'll give them a chance but man, that first video was forced.

 
As far as seeing them in stuff previously, I do like Griffin but I can't stand Justin at all at any point.
#67 Posted by Srah (81 posts) -

Love the McElroys. I'll watch/read anything they do so I'm super stoked. And omg Rei, I haven't seen her since Good Game!

#68 Posted by Jackhole (370 posts) -

@jukezypoo said:

@Hailinel said:

@Ferros

That really is a who's who of internet video game writers. I like Gies and I'm surprised no one is questioning Crecente though. When that guy was involved in Kotaku it wasn't exactly a pillar of excellent journalism.

Crecente is the reason I have no interest in the site.

Crecente is the reason I'm dubious as well - I wouldn't go so far as to say that I have no interest, though; I like all the other personalities involved (the McElroy's and Gies especially), so I think it's fair to say I'm interested.

To be fair Crecente isn't EIC, I believe that title goes to Chris Grant.

#69 Posted by jakkblades (403 posts) -

I'll check it out. I'm always looking for newssources and opinions from people I don't hate.

#70 Posted by DarkFury (369 posts) -

Interesting, will keep my eye on this. Between my regular intake of Giant Bomb and MBMBaM this seems like a perfect fit. Less pretension though, please!

#71 Posted by Hailinel (24400 posts) -
@Jackhole

@jukezypoo said:

@Hailinel said:

@Ferros

That really is a who's who of internet video game writers. I like Gies and I'm surprised no one is questioning Crecente though. When that guy was involved in Kotaku it wasn't exactly a pillar of excellent journalism.

Crecente is the reason I have no interest in the site.

Crecente is the reason I'm dubious as well - I wouldn't go so far as to say that I have no interest, though; I like all the other personalities involved (the McElroy's and Gies especially), so I think it's fair to say I'm interested.

To be fair Crecente isn't EIC, I believe that title goes to Chris Grant.

He doesn't need to be EIC for his contributions to harm the site.
#72 Posted by masternater27 (918 posts) -

I'm a huge fan of the Mcelroys in a nongaming context. I also really liked Arthur Gies back when I was using a bunch of sites and not just GB.

#73 Posted by BBQBram (2222 posts) -

This seems like the time to get into these McElroy's Antics (patent pending).

#74 Posted by wefwefasdf (6729 posts) -

I would like to either get my first name or Batman as my username on the website. It must be done!

#75 Posted by evanbower (1210 posts) -

@killacam: Fun fact: I heard of Giant Bomb through Arthur, when on a podcast he said he thought the Bombcast was the best video game podcast. The man has got taste, style, and grace.

#76 Posted by Vorbis (2750 posts) -

Great to see more sites following the lighthearted and comedic nature to gaming like Giantbomb does. Already been listening to the Besties and their reason for giving SSX best game of the week was amazing.

#77 Posted by killacam (1284 posts) -

@evanbower said:

@killacam: Fun fact: I heard of Giant Bomb through Arthur, when on a podcast he said he thought the Bombcast was the best video game podcast. The man has got taste, style, and grace.

that is almost as factual as it is fun! and its pretty factual, so that's saying something

#78 Posted by Sweep (8844 posts) -

Their PAX panel was mostly "Our website is going to be really awesome. We are going to write all this cool stuff. Trust us, you guys. It's going to be great. Trust us."

It sounded like a bunch of nerds who write about videogames planning to write more shit about videogames. Their past work has earned them, collectively, the benefit of the doubt, but I am yet to see anything to make me genuinely excited about the prospect of another videogame website.

Moderator
#79 Posted by Jimbo (9800 posts) -

"To quote the great Justin McElroy: "You wanna know who's really killing the game industry? ... Shh, come close. NOBODY IS. VIDEO GAMES ARE AWESOME."

Fantastic! Insightful commentary like that is exactly what gaming has been missing.

#80 Posted by Blargonaut (146 posts) -

The only other game site that I really follow and listen to their Podcast is CheapAssGamer. Very laid back vibe like GiantBomb with more of a focus on game prices. The podcast is a lot of nonsense though, which is the fun part.

#81 Posted by Coafi (1483 posts) -

@Deusx said:

@stinky said:

@Mikewrestler5 said:

The videos they have shot and cut together are miles ahead of what GB has done since its inception.

to add to this, vox has some damn good designers, their shit is the most polished stuff you'll find on the internet.

i can't say much about Polygon now haven't seen any real content. videos here are too meta, content that talks about itself. not that interesting.

It's actually just one designer and a bunch of web engineers. He is really good. I've talked to him on twitter, guy makes some amazing stuff.

Who's the designer?

#82 Posted by N7 (3584 posts) -
@Coafi said:

@Deusx said:

@stinky said:

@Mikewrestler5 said:

The videos they have shot and cut together are miles ahead of what GB has done since its inception.

to add to this, vox has some damn good designers, their shit is the most polished stuff you'll find on the internet.

i can't say much about Polygon now haven't seen any real content. videos here are too meta, content that talks about itself. not that interesting.

It's actually just one designer and a bunch of web engineers. He is really good. I've talked to him on twitter, guy makes some amazing stuff.

Who's the designer?

Optimus Prime.
#83 Posted by Sergio (2080 posts) -

I honestly don't like the design layout of Vox, and probably won't like the design layout of Polygon once it launches. I've been enjoying the Besties though.

#84 Posted by SirPsychoSexy (1328 posts) -

Only guy I've heard of is Crecente

#85 Posted by Aquablak (194 posts) -

I'm a huge fan of the McElroy bros, both from their time at Joystiq and on MBMBaM, and I like Arthur Geis and Chris Grant a lot, so I'm all over anything these guys do. I don't know a lot about the other guys involved, but this is some super team they've assembled. Besties is awesome, and I can't wait for more!

#86 Posted by caska (114 posts) -

Seriously not a fan of the Vox layouts (and the fact that for some reason The Verge radiates this massive hipster vibe that I can't seem to get over to actually read the content....) It just feels like I'm looking at one massive advertisement and for a guy using adblock it's just really jarring and a wholly annoying experience. I'm probably just in the minority though but I hope they have a different layout.

#87 Posted by StriderNo9 (1087 posts) -

I've been enjoying Polygon's converge also. It fits my need to get blog like gaming news without being written like an actual blog, which I like since most blogs are lazy about fact checking, and couldn't write a proper article for their domain. Which is the reason I love GB so much. They cover the industry the way I believe it should be, but when I want a higher frequency of smaller news stories I might be taking my clicks to Polygon as a secondary site.

#88 Posted by YoThatLimp (1901 posts) -

@Scrawnto said:

I love the McElroys. I stopped reading Joystiq long ago, but I'll definitely be keeping tabs on Polygon as it develops. I've been listening to their Besties podcast too.

The problem is, I just want the McElroys. I don't care about anyone else there.

Also, it is super weird seeing all of there faces for the first time.

#89 Posted by 71Ranchero (2738 posts) -

Holy shit they are awkward.

#90 Posted by Sanj (2370 posts) -

When the site goes up i'll be sure to check them out.

#91 Posted by StriderNo9 (1087 posts) -

@caska said:

The Verge radiates this massive hipster vibe that I can't seem to get over to actually read the content....)

This is very true for me sometimes, as well.

#92 Posted by Srah (81 posts) -

@caska said:

Seriously not a fan of the Vox layouts (and the fact that for some reason The Verge radiates this massive hipster vibe that I can't seem to get over to actually read the content....) It just feels like I'm looking at one massive advertisement and for a guy using adblock it's just really jarring and a wholly annoying experience. I'm probably just in the minority though but I hope they have a different layout.

Lol, agreed. I'm a graphic designer and I think it looks too designed. The layout is distracting, confusing and not at all inviting. I really hope they tone it down for polygon.

#93 Posted by Nightriff (4990 posts) -

Besties is amazing, I remember when Jean Baptise (or however you spell it) showed up and shared his art with everyone, it was awesome.

McElroy's should be on the Bombcast more often, they only appear on the E3 ones right?

#94 Posted by BoG (5187 posts) -

I like their content. I'll probably visit the site. I only visit GB these days. I used to regularly visit at least two sites, but I grew to dislike most other sites. I can open my heart for these fellows.

#95 Posted by YI_Orange (1142 posts) -

I hope Polygon is awesome and gives me a reason to visit. Justin and Griffin McElroy are two of the funniest people that I know exist. I hope they both show up during the E3 podcasts. I've been listening to The Besties for a few episodes and it's pretty entertaining, Chris Plante and Russ Frushtick seem pretty cool, but I don't know anyone else involved with the site.

#96 Posted by StriderNo9 (1087 posts) -

I really don't like most video game websites. Joystiq seems alright but I'm not too into them. Shacknews I like but mostly for Weekend Confirmed, Kotaku is and always will be a pig in my eyes, and Destructoid is cool but with no professionalism whatsoever it's hard to take any one there serious, including Jim Sterling who is great at what he does. I come from video game magazines, and I still like that format. One of the reasons GB appeals to me so much is because it feels so dense with information I feel like I can get lost in the site just going from one thing to another, a lot like how I read my gaming mags. Polygon is one of the first sites that's not Giantbomb that makes me feel that way. As I said before, I'm not a fan of blog styled sites but I still would like gaming news to come in that frequently, so I'll give Polygon a chance and hopefully they can be my number two.

#97 Posted by Little_Socrates (5675 posts) -

I've been reading Polygon's work over at The Verge for a few weeks now and it's kind of embarrassing how much better their written content is than anybody else's. Seriously, it's like they exclusively grabbed people who know what they're doing behind a keyboard.

I can't wait until the site launches. Also, know that it'll still mostly be written content, as they're still all living in disparate parts of the country.

#98 Posted by GunslingerPanda (4705 posts) -

Arthur Gies, no thank you.

#99 Edited by HiImMikeCruz (209 posts) -

@Mikewrestler5 said:

The videos they have shot and cut together are miles ahead of what GB has done since its inception.

I'm pretty sure the guys who cut the original videos are the Area 5 guys (Co-Op, 1up Show). I mentioned seeing some of their tweets about working with Arthur during PAX...or maybe that was GDC

#100 Posted by StriderNo9 (1087 posts) -

@DreamsTornaApart said:

@Mikewrestler5 said:

The videos they have shot and cut together are miles ahead of what GB has done since its inception.

They are shooting good videos but they haven't put up anything compared to GB right now.