• 55 results
vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By vitor

Title says it all. As this site has so much more user interaction than others out there, I have to say I'm a little shocked by the lack of replys to forum posts when the view counts are so high (often 10x that of the answers). Being used to sites such as GT and the like, I was expecting something far more active. Admittidly this is a newer site with far less members (for the time being) but this is sure to grow as people get word of the quality of reviews and other articles written here. What do you guys think? In comparison to other sites you've frequented is this an issue or a given considering the current size and exposure the site has?

SamStrife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By SamStrife

Meh as long as you get the answer you're looking for does it really matter.  Rather have that than spam for the sake of spam.

Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By Emilio

I know what you mean. It just took me 21 minutes to respond.

Maybe its because the site is new, or a lot of people are too shy. Around this hour ( at least where I'm at. Its close to being 5am ) the site is pretty dead, and I think a lot of the Giant Bomb users might be from the US and Canada.

I would like more people to participate. :(

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

I'd rather have a few good posts than a load of idiots shouting crap in every post.

Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Endogene
Emilio said:
"I know what you mean. It just took me 21 minutes to respond.

Maybe its because the site is new, or a lot of people are too shy. Around this hour ( at least where I'm at. Its close to being 5am ) the site is pretty dead, and I think a lot of the Giant Bomb users might be from the US and Canada.

I would like more people to participate. :("
Most of the users are US based yes, they had a graph some time ago showing where the different users were from
The US time zone is -5 to -10
so now it would late in the night or very early in the morning over there
breton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By breton

Not really an issue. For one, like you said, the site is new. You can't expect to have a booming community that gets replies within seconds.  Second, view count is always higher than post count.. always. I don't think the ratio really matters. Third, I think there's at least enough users for a decent forum experience at the moment.

ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ArchScabby

Look I'm making it better by posting!

I hope you apperciate it.

caption
caption
Johnny5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8  Edited By Johnny5
ArchScabby said:
"Look I'm making it better by posting!

caption
caption
"
Now all you need to do is fix the grammatical error! ^_^
kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#9  Edited By kush

I see the same thing on other sites as well, but as previously stated I would much rather have many views and a few good replies than many views and many worthless replies. The fact that many users are US-ish based is also a factor.

twenty0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By twenty0ne

I'd share my thoughts on this, but they probably wouldn't be appreciated by the mods.

xplodedd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By xplodedd

people don't have that much to say

Demilich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By Demilich
ArchScabby said:
"Look I'm making it better by posting!

caption
caption
"
Oh my...
Otacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Otacon

sometimes you open up a thread, thinking you will have something to add but then find that you don't. If you don't you don't have to make something up.

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By kush
Demilich said:
"Oh my..."
Yea...I noticed that too.
vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By vitor

Well.... at least people make a point of upping their grammar skills here. Although the time difference would have quite an impact. I guess few good responses are better than lots of useless ones just for the sake of people increasing their post count (for site benefits and the like - GT, here's looking at you kid). Hopefully the site'll not only increase in membership numbers but also international diversity too.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Jayge_

This thread was 75 views and will be 15 replies at the time of this message.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By mike

Some people only reply if they actually have something meaningful to say...some people post in practically every thread, no matter what.  I don't think it's indicative of a problem, it's pretty normal I think.

Joker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By Joker
MB said:
"Some people only reply if they actually have something meaningful to say...some people post in practically every thread, no matter what.  I don't think it's indicative of a problem, it's pretty normal I think."
Also if its a thread that has a question, the creator may continually refresh the page hoping for an update.
SSbabel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#19  Edited By SSbabel

So true, every time i see a topic the view count absolutley destroys the post count

TheGTAvaccine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By TheGTAvaccine

Yeah, I guess you could say that about any other thread on any other site though as well. Most of em dont show you the view count though.

Lemegeton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Lemegeton

its about quality not quantity

adam_grif

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By adam_grif

Actually high view - to - post ratios are symptomatic of high forum population. When forums have only a few members, there aren't that many threads, and about half the time they will post when they view. However now we have lots of threads, people can open up a bunch in a bunch of tabs then only reply to the ones they really want too.

giyanks22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#23  Edited By giyanks22

I like less replies, because then there's less trash..

atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By atejas
Joker said:
"MB said:
"Some people only reply if they actually have something meaningful to say...some people post in practically every thread, no matter what.  I don't think it's indicative of a problem, it's pretty normal I think."
Also if its a thread that has a question, the creator may continually refresh the page hoping for an update."
Gulity as charged, your Honour.
vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By vitor
atejas said:
"Joker said:
"MB said:
Also if its a thread that has a question, the creator may continually refresh the page hoping for an update."
Gulity as charged, your Honour."

What do you think I've spent most of the day doing to this one?
brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By brukaoru
Joker said:
"MB said:
Exactly. Many people who post in a thread will return to it to see if anyone responded to their post, thus doubling the views of the thread.

As others have said, quality over quantity.
SlowHands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#27  Edited By SlowHands

I don't post much because I'm too shy.  :(

HitNRun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By HitNRun
Vitor said:
"Title says it all. As this site has so much more user interaction than others out there, I have to say I'm a little shocked by the lack of replys to forum posts when the view counts are so high (often 10x that of the answers). Being used to sites such as GT and the like, I was expecting something far more active. Admittidly this is a newer site with far less members (for the time being) but this is sure to grow as people get word of the quality of reviews and other articles written here. What do you guys think? In comparison to other sites you've frequented is this an issue or a given considering the current size and exposure the site has?"
Dude, virtually every forum anywhere, ever, has 5-10x more views than replies.

Blame shy people, lurkers, the vicarious enjoyment of watching people argue over something stupid, or the simple fact that most topics don't end up being as interesting as the title; whatever the dynamic is, it exists on every forum with a wider audience than "people the admin knows personally"
xruntime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#29  Edited By xruntime
MattyFTM said:
"I'd rather have a few good posts than a load of idiots shouting crap in every post."
Unforunately, we have both.

I have to be honest - I think the discussion in Gamespot's forums is a lot better. This forum doesn't really have any topics that are controversial, open to discussion, interesting, intuitive...its all really bland.

Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#30  Edited By Vaxadrin

Replies +1

Avatar image for green_incarnate
Green_Incarnate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#31  Edited By Green_Incarnate

Isn't it always like this on every forum ever. Plus some threads you pop into are just stupid as hell.

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Randolph

I think it's just because everyone is spread out so thinly.  The game related forums lack any kind of focus for activity, and the real building of an actual community.  People are herded towards game specific forums, which do not have the activity to be a valid choice to post in, and after a certain amount of time of getting no response in those dead forums, people just give up and don't bother posting anymore.  The fact that the PS3 forum is considered one of the more popular boards, yet has two day old topics less than half way down the front page, says a lot about how much of a failure the scatter shot forums idea is.

Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Endogene
Randolph said:
"I think it's just because everyone is spread out so thinly.  The game related forums lack any kind of focus for activity, and the real building of an actual community.  People are herded towards game specific forums, which do not have the activity to be a valid choice to post in, and after a certain amount of time of getting no response in those dead forums, people just give up and don't bother posting anymore.  The fact that the PS3 forum is considered one of the more popular boards, yet has two day old topics less than half way down the front page, says a lot about how much of a failure the scatter shot forums idea is."
Or that you are posting on a two month old website that still is in beta?
wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#34  Edited By wefwefasdf

Like, normally, I wouldn't have replied in this thread because all my points have already been said.

Mushir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Mushir
MattyFTM said:
"I'd rather have a few good posts than a load of idiots shouting crap in every post."
Same here. Thats one of the reasons my post count is lower than most people here. Saying something someone has already said is kind of pointless.
KillaMaStA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#36  Edited By KillaMaStA

I go 10 views per post so i guess im one of the guys whos bringing the average down.I often go into threads to find something interesting to read even tho i have nothing to say about the subject.

DualReaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By DualReaver
Twilight said:
"MattyFTM said:
Same here. Thats one of the reasons my post count is lower than most people here. Saying something someone has already said is kind of pointless."
I loled at this.

Also it's like that on every forums ever.
Terrell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#38  Edited By Terrell
Vitor said:
"Title says it all. As this site has so much more user interaction than others out there, I have to say I'm a little shocked by the lack of replys to forum posts when the view counts are so high (often 10x that of the answers). Being used to sites such as GT and the like, I was expecting something far more active. Admittidly this is a newer site with far less members (for the time being) but this is sure to grow as people get word of the quality of reviews and other articles written here. What do you guys think? In comparison to other sites you've frequented is this an issue or a given considering the current size and exposure the site has?"
I see what you are saying. On one hand, it is better to have as many opinions on a subject as possible. Sadly, it seems that some people haven't been raised to be mature enough to use forums or even communicate in basic terms, so while I would like that number to be more closely related, I also am kind of more grateful that most of the comments (most, not all) on this board have something meaningful to say...
Avatar image for vibratingdonkey
vibratingdonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By vibratingdonkey

Ten times the views is normal in my experience.

OmNomNom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By OmNomNom

It seems to be a good thing since the level of maturity of the users on these forums is pretty high. Not like some other forums where every second post is an incomprehensible mess.

Jacy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Jacy

What am I going to say here? Nothing meaningful. Nothing that hasn't been said thousands of times before on hundreds of other boards. After getting thousands of posts on one board you tend to drift away from massive amounts of posting for the sake of posting.

Mushir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Mushir
DualReaver said:
"Twilight said:
"MattyFTM said:
Same here. Thats one of the reasons my post count is lower than most people here. Saying something someone has already said is kind of pointless."
I loled at this.

Also it's like that on every forums ever."
lol I realized what I did there xD
pyromaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#43  Edited By pyromaniac

its been on the lower side for some time now...maybe cause the kids are back at the zoo?

MisterSpiffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By MisterSpiffy

Although I haven't been getting a lot of responses, I've been getting quick ones.

pyromaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#45  Edited By pyromaniac
MisterSpiffy said:
"Although I haven't been getting a lot of responses, I've been getting quick ones."
You have some nice abs...very nice!!
DualReaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By DualReaver

For what I lack in quantity I make up for in quality.

Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#47  Edited By Black_Rose
DualReaver said:
"For what I lack in quantity I make up for in quality."
I don't know if i should laugh or cry at your post
wefwefasdf

Forum Posts