Poorly reviewed games that you enjoyed- GO.

Avatar image for connerthekewlkid
connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Gotcha Force. I don't care what anyone says, that is an amazing game to play with friends.

Man you and that other guy make we wanna play that game, is there anyway to get it now besides emulation?

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#152  Edited By big_jon

Halo Spartan assault apparently, it's not perfect, but I couldn't believe how over the top Jeff's reaction to it was.

Masha2932

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@buft: I really enjoyed Dark Void. The soundtrack by Bear McReary was great too especially as you launched into the air on your jetpack.

slyspider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#154  Edited By slyspider

@seppli said:

@random45 said:

@seppli said:

@noizy said:

@slyspider said:

Dragon age 2 may be one of my favorite RPGs. As soon as i post this I'm running to my bunker to await the mobs coming after me

Wish me luck.

I didn't dislike DA2 personally. I never bothered to read what the whole fuss was about. I suspect the departure from the Baldur's Gate style combat pissed people off. I thought it was weird too, but I just ran with it. I never completed it though (as I often do due to too many games), but I had my fun with it.

Dragon Age 2 was received quite well critically, if I recall it correctly. It has a metacritic average of over 80. The gaming community at large loved to anatagonize it though. I enjoyed my time with it, playing it on the hardest difficulty - so that friendly fire was enabled. Really added tons of tactical challenge to the game. Should have been a toggle for all difficulty settings.

All the copy 'n' paste assets however did indeed feel cheap, and make the game feel like a rush job (which it was). And it's burdened by some of the weakest characters and most nonsensical story twists in Bioware's history.

How in the world could you stand to play on the hardest difficulty? All it does is boost the enemies health bar to extremely high levels so every fight became so damn tedious. I had to turn it down halfway through act 2 because I was getting so bored with the very long fights.

And yeah, the main reason people disliked the game was due to the MASSIVE amounts of copy and pasting the game did. I know other games do it too, but it is generally disguised pretty well. In DA2, it's a freaking joke. Also, act 3 was rushed as hell, and though the initial twist in that act was ok (you have to pick a side after all), everything after it was just absolutely stupid. The fact that the head mage ended up using Blood Magic even when you sided with him was so freaking stupid, and it PROVED the Templars right. If I do play DA3, I know not to trust a single damn mage in that game. Other than that the game was ok, I liked the characters well enough, but man... The game needed another year in development.

A couple of bossfights were real ballbusters, had to employ lots of cheesy tactics to get-by. Though the final boss of the first act still stands as Bioware's best bossfight to date. That fight was WoW-levels of great.

I really hated the assassin-type enemies, which could one-shot many of my companions out of stealth - other than that I had a great time with it, as far as I remember. Really had to play it stop and go like a classic CRPG, and play it smart. Sure, if I had the choice to play with friendly fire active on a lower difficulty setting, I would have likely enjoyed the game more that way - but alas, that was not an option.

I really enjoyed the characters and the fact that Hawk had a voice. Made it feel less like an empty husk for RPGing (dragon 1) and more than a real person. Yea the combat wasnt Baldur's Gate style and that sucked, but I'll look past a lot for a good story, even if the end was kinda dumb

notahuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slag said:

Dragon's Dogma, still have no idea how it was a mere 3 in Patrick's eyes. My personal GotY in 2012

This.

And also Urban Trail Freestyle, which although took some adjusting to after used to Trials definitely doesn't deserve the 70 or so it has on metacritic.

yukoasho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#156  Edited By yukoasho

I liked DNF when if came out.

My perception. It wasn't a great game, or a terrible one. It was a game. I played it.

As for the game that always comes to mind when this topic pops up, it's gotta be the King's Field games and Eternal Ring. They tend to be pretty heavily slogged, but they're fun exploration games that did open world gaming wonderfully in the age before Oblivion and Skyrim.

Cybexx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

Alpha Protocol, first 4 hrs are god awful thanks to terrible combat and stealth but once you get out of the Middle East and start choosing where you want to go and start making decisions the game gets a whole lot better, its like Mass Effect if your choices mattered more. The combat stays bad but you just get a silenced pistol and the ability to aim while blind firing, you just cheese your way through the combat. Not a game I want to replay or one that I would necessarily recommend to many people but it has its moments.

And Catherine if we are going by Jeff's review. The review averages for Catherine are actually pretty good. Unlike Jeff I didn't think that twist with Catherine's character undermined the narrative because the question that game is really asking isn't what girl Vincent should get with. I also enjoyed the puzzles more than Jeff and thought that the feeling of being desperate and overwhelmed that those puzzles elicited mapped well to the story beats.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#158  Edited By ch3burashka

Ah, yes, time to pull out the ol' "Advent Rising" card.

Crap game, crap mechanics, crap everything... but the last 5 minutes make me wish they finished the trilogy.

Also, in an alternate timeline I would have played the shit out of GunLoco.

Also, I won Dark Sector in a contest once; I thought it was okay, then people shat on it. Bummer.

masterrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

These are games me and my friends LOVED as kids, and only found out they 'sucked' after the internet got big. Ignorance is bliss.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

vg132

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Scarface The Game, don't like the movie but the game was great.

/Viktor

Kevin_Cogneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161  Edited By Kevin_Cogneto
@noelveiga said:

@spaceinsomniac said:

@pekoe212 said:

@joshwent said:

WTF?!? I had just assumed that games critics felt the same as me... that The Dig is right at the top of all of LucasArts' excellent feats of storytelling. immersion, and exploration. Man that's a great game. I can only imagine that this was when GameSpot was getting random reviews from uninformed freelancers and just posting them frantically with not a lot of oversight.

I second the WTF. The Dig is one of my favorite games ever. I get the impression that person only wanted Lucasarts to make Monkey Island/Day of the Tentacle clones and was ready to hate on anything deviating from that. Again....CRAZY. They even wrote a novel based on the game (which I've got somewhere). Isn't that some metric of commercial success?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dig#Reception

One gamespot review does not make a game a "poorly reviewed game." The majority of reviews being negative makes something poorly reviewed. The dig was a good game, and shouldn't at all be considered a poorly reviewed title.

My vote goes to the last-gen retail Bionic Commando game. Once you accept that the story is crap, and it isn't an open world adventure, that game is a lot of fun.

Still, don't underestimate how much we misremember the reception to some games. The Dig got mixed reviews. Full Throttle got TONS of crap for "being too short" and generally got the worst reviews of a Lucasarts game until that point. Sonic 2 got a bunch of negative reviews because it was too fast and random at points (and Sonic 3 was seen by those guys as a return to form, don't believe Jeff). Those are seen as classics today, through a serious process of selective amnesia.

Agree completely. I remember when The Dig was released, I was a huge LucasArts adventure fan at the time. And my memory is that The Dig was generally not very well received at all. It's easy to forget that it was delayed a bunch of times and had a lot of bad press surrounding its development. And seeing as Full Throttle came out the same year, and when you compare the two The Dig looks positively ancient by comparison, not to mention painfully dull. Graphically, The Dig is barely a step up from Monkey Island, which I'm sure is due to its long development cycle.

Personally I think The Dig is better than people gave it credit for back then, but it's certainly not some classic game that deserves any level of reverence or nostalgia. The pacing is awful, the characters are one dimensional (and Robert Patrick is terrible in it), unlike most LucasArts games the puzzles are poorly integrated into the story; they're the kind of arbitrary "someone left a puzzle lying around for you to solve!" puzzles that end up feeling like leftovers from Myst. It has its charms, but it's certainly not one of LucasArts' best games, not by a long shot.

buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 4

Too Human. Loved the analog stick combat, the premise/setting...pretty much everything. Really bummed the trilogy will never finish.

same for me man, i played the absolute life out of that game and at the time i couldnt even play online, i went back to it once i got the internet back in but by that stage the multiplayer was dead. shame i would have loved to have seen more of it. I also really like alpha protocol.

HiCZoK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163  Edited By HiCZoK

two of most underrated games and at the same time two of my fav games last gen. The darkness1 and Timeshift and Binary Domain ofc

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Biofreaks

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vg132 said:

Scarface The Game, don't like the movie but the game was great.

/Viktor

But, dude, it was so damn unforgiving. From what I remember, there weren't any checkpoints, so I had to stop playing when cops killed me for like the tenth time on a certain mission not too far into it.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#166  Edited By RonGalaxy

I thought The Cave was awesome, but it got middling reviews (middling by game review standards). Same for Beyond Two Souls.

Games I like that others seem to hate: GTA4, Catherine... There are probably others but that's all I can think of

JoshMcC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@marz said:

I dont' remember what Alpha Protocol got on average but it seemed like critics didn't like it much, I enjoyed the hell out of it though.

Totally agree. I loved Alpha Protocol as well. Fantastic premise for an RPG.

@dasuberogre said:
  • Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2

I really liked UA2. It was a great game, even if it wasn't as good as the first... or the Xmen Legends games before them.

MUA2 is one of my favorites. Didn't age that well though. Remember playing the hell out of it and enjoying it when it came out. Tried it again after playing a ton of the console verison of Diablo III and it colored my look back a bit. Still have a ton of fondness for it.

Mr_croft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168  Edited By Mr_croft

Ryse: really bashing it because of microtransactions?!?

Beyond two souls: an elegant game. Graphically amazing and an epic story. Just a game a really felt accomplished when i finished it.

supermonkey122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Duke Nukem Forever

Batman: Arkham Origins (not very poorly reviewed, but I like it more than most critics did)

Ninja Gaiden 3

Dante's Inferno

Beyond: Two Souls

Deadpool.

As you can see, I don't have very high standards.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170  Edited By ShaggE

More than I can count, but Blitz: The League 2, Dante's Inferno, Mortal Kombat 6 and 7, and Manhunt 2, to pick some at random.

Does Diablo 3 count? Because Diablo 3.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#171  Edited By JJWeatherman

@big_jon said:

Halo Spartan assault apparently, it's not perfect, but I couldn't believe how over the top Jeff's reaction to it was.

But let's be honest: you seem to love all things Halo, haha. I've been meaning to try Spartan Assault, but just haven't gotten around to it.

Hector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

Quantum of Solace, I thought it was a good James Bond game. I even played the multiplayer for a while, it's basically Call of Duty with third person cover mechanics.

Brackynews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 48

#173  Edited By Brackynews

Very recently I've bought Killer is Dead and Bureau for a good price. Nothing I don't like so far. I reviewed Alone in the Dark quite well. I tend to enjoy the Death Jr. franchise. Quite fond of Epic Mickey. Dungeon Siege III's ok, but maybe I'm partial to the voice actors. Big fan of the Ghostbusters game, Overlord, massive Tron 2.0 fanboy. And I bought Cobra Mission; back when it was released (alongside Metal & Lace), reviewers felt obligated to reject localised hentai games. This was way before Newgrounds of course. Zing!

Brackynews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 48

@buft: I really enjoyed Dark Void. The soundtrack by Bear McReary was great too especially as you launched into the air on your jetpack.

I own two copies of Dark Void.

Loading Video...

Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#175  Edited By Castiel

Shadows of the Damned

Beyond: Two Souls

Two games that at best got a lukewarm reception. They are far from my favorite games, but I atleast enjoyed my time enough with both to finish them and I genuinely think that Shadows of the Damned is a fun game.

wariomona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was gonna say Sonic Unleashed, but it has a 60 metacritic score. I guess Sonic isn't as hated as I originally thought...

Mayu_Zane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Azure Dreams. It wasn't reviled, but folks didn't consider it to be great fun. I enjoyed going up the Monster Tower and try to get to the top before running out of HP. Also, the town-building aspects were kinda cool. I liked how the money you got from dungeon crawling can actually help improve your hometown. Plus, I liked the monster designs.

JNeam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn't review horribly, but I liked The Bureau a hell of a lot more than most reviewers seemed to. I also thought Aliens: Colonial Marines was a completely fine first-person shooter that doesn't deserve nearly the amount of vitriol is gets. It's not great by any means, but it isn't a broken piece of trash either.

Also one that wasn't necessarily lambasted in reviews but does get a massive amount of shit, Dragon Age II. The repetition got annoying by the end and it was kinda weird not being able to equip armor on your party, but most of the changes between Origins and II were for the better. I really don't get the hate; most of it just seems like whiny PC elitism from people that act like streamlining systems is a capital offense.

I feel the opposite haha. I thought Dragon Age II was the biggest letdown ever. After loving Origins, DA II felt so....lazy, and boring. The repetitive environments, the fact that you are just stuck in a city the entire time. Little control over characters.

And there were some weird changes like the camera couldn't go high enough so I can properly use my wizards AOE spells.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179  Edited By BabyChooChoo
@humanity said:

@babychoochoo said:
  • Remember Me

High-five on Remember Me. It did a lot of cool new things and was instantly brushed aside because it wasn't Batman combat. You could tell they put in a lot of effort into that game - the levels were unique, the powers were interesting, the entire remix ability was incredibly inventive.

Just for comparison, it reviewed worse than God of War: Ascension - a tired retread of a franchise that should have ended two games prior and offered absolutely nothing new to the genre.

It's the newest game I push on people to try because while it's not the greatest game ever made, it's certainly worth playing.

Remember Me - catch it!

Yeah, I was expecting some sort of half-assed, Arkham-esque game based on everything I heard about it, but I was genuinely surprised at how good it actually turned out to be. It feels like a great, "AAA" passion project from head to toe. It has it's flaws, sure, but they swung for the fences and, in my book, it was a beautiful homerun.

It really bums me out though that because so many people have written off the game at this point, Nilin will probably fade into obscurity as we look back over not just great female video game characters, but great video game characters in general. I certainly won't try and argue she's the greatest character ever, but if people wanna sing the praises of characters like Nathan Drake and 2013 Lara Croft, all I'm saying is Nilin certainly deserves some love too.

RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@humanity said:

@babychoochoo said:
  • Remember Me

High-five on Remember Me. It did a lot of cool new things and was instantly brushed aside because it wasn't Batman combat. You could tell they put in a lot of effort into that game - the levels were unique, the powers were interesting, the entire remix ability was incredibly inventive.

Just for comparison, it reviewed worse than God of War: Ascension - a tired retread of a franchise that should have ended two games prior and offered absolutely nothing new to the genre.

It's the newest game I push on people to try because while it's not the greatest game ever made, it's certainly worth playing.

Remember Me - catch it!

Yeah, I was expecting some sort of half-assed, Arkham-esque game based on everything I heard about it, but I was genuinely surprised at how good it actually turned out to be. It feels like a great, "AAA" passion project from head to toe. It has it's flaws, sure, but they swung for the fences and, in my book, it was a beautiful homerun.

It really bums me out though that because so many people have written off the game at this point, Nilin will probably fade into obscurity as we look back over not just great female video game characters, but great video game characters in general. I certainly won't try and argue she's the greatest character ever, but if people wanna sing the praises of characters like Nathan Drake and 2013 Lara Croft, all I'm saying is Nilin certainly deserves some love too.

To add to that, I especially liked the look of their neo-Paris. Very cool aesthetics. It's a shame so much of the latter part of the game is indoors.

cheesebob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181  Edited By cheesebob

Alpha Protocol certainly comes to mind. Barring the jankiness, it was a fantastic game.

I am playing through Jericho right now. Its not a good game, certainly, but its a very enjoyable one. Those enemy designs are great and the shooting is visceral.

Binary Domain, personally, is better than all the Gears Of War games combined. Yes its shooting isn't as good, but the story and the character interaction mechanics were really interesting. It did things that no other game has done, especially no action game. Also, BIG BO.

I echo the love fro Shadows Of The Damned and Dragon's Dogma, those games are criminally underrated. DD, especially.

Finally I wanna give a shout out to Anarchy Reigns. The red headed step-child of Platinum Games' gameography so far. I had some serious fun with that game's singleplayer and (when I can find people to play with) multiplayer. The story was ridiculous but oddly poignant and the two main characters were actually fleshed better than they had any right to be. Its a shame it got criminally overlooked by pretty much everyone.

T0MBraider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I had an absolute blast playing Ryse: Son of Rome.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183  Edited By BabyChooChoo

@shagge said:

Does Diablo 3 count? Because Diablo 3.

Yeah. I think it's fair to say Diablo 3 counts. It was reviewed well by most people and outlets, but I feel like a lot of very vocal people consider it to be some sort of absolutely irredeemable train-wreck. It was my first Diablo game though and I had the time of my life with it.

@cheesebob said:

Finally I wanna give a shout out to Anarchy Reigns. The red headed step-child of Platinum Games' gameography so far. I had some serious fun with that game's singleplayer and (when I can find people to play with) multiplayer. The story was ridiculous but oddly poignant and the two main characters were actually fleshed better than they had any right to be. Its a shame it got criminally overlooked by pretty much everyone.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan. Amen, my brother. A-fucking-men. It didn't help Sega didn't seem to have any semblance of faith in the title. I don't expect them to give it a giant marketing budget, but they just kinda threw it out the door without any support whatsoever. I really liked it too. Made my personal top 10 list and had both my favorite soundtrack and cast as a whole of 2013. it's an incredibly dumb, crazy, and awesome brawler that you can just lose yourself in for hours. I like to think of it as Power Stone: The Later Years.

Avatar image for siroptimusprime
SirOptimusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs while not panned or anything, just seems to be underrepresented. The ending is kind of a mess after the streets scene, but everything up to that point is so good not to mention how fucking terrible the ending of TDD is. People wanted the game to be jumpy and have the usual pseudo-adventure game puzzle scraps I guess, and what they got was something built entirely on atmospheric, psychological, and introspective horror instead. Not that The Dark Descent doesn't do that, but the mechanics and usual Frictional dumbness got in the way of the game being enjoyable.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#185 fisk0  Moderator

@hiczok said:

two of most underrated games and at the same time two of my fav games last gen. The darkness1 and Timeshift and Binary Domain ofc

Yeah, at least The Darkness got some retrospective recogition, Timeshift seems to have been just about entirely forgotten despite doing what Singularity tried to do much better, as well as having the best rain of the generation!

cerberus3dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

STAR FOX ADVENTURES. Played that game through like twice Playing catch with my dinosaur. Helping other dinosaurs. Such a good time.

Avatar image for deactivated-61356eb4a76c8
deactivated-61356eb4a76c8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

• E.Y.E Divine Cybermancy
  • Total War: Rome II
  • Fallout: New Vegas
  • Inquisitor
Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#188  Edited By Humanity

@rvone said:

@babychoochoo said:
@humanity said:

@babychoochoo said:
  • Remember Me

Remember Me - catch it!

To add to that, I especially liked the look of their neo-Paris. Very cool aesthetics. It's a shame so much of the latter part of the game is indoors.

Indeed. I really loved all the memory-tech and applications they devised from the fiction. The ghosts and recordings, the memory sickness, the abilities, it was all really ingenious how they tied it all to this singular idea of what would happen if we unlocked the potential of memory-access in human beings. The world they created in that game felt like something that could actually happen. I also found the idea of memory remixing fascinating on a moral level. Not to spoil anything for people that haven't played it, but some of the memory remixes you do in order to achieve your goals seem morally reprehensible.

Zojirushi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked Final Fantasy XIII and I think Lightning is actually an ok character which makes me look forward to playing her again in XIII-3.

Come at me!

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

• Total War: Rome II

To be fair it was mixed, there were some really high scores. But personally I didn't have many technical issues (besides the turns getting longer) and it otherwise was like all the TW games at launch. Since it's polished up and I really enjoy that game.

hanktherapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

CrystaljDesign

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@friendlyphoenix: Yes! Although the story was a mess, the structure of The Bureau was a great Mass Effect knock off that I found really enjoyable. Dragon Age 2 is a good game as long as it's not compared to its predecessor. The only annoying thing for me in that game was the reuse of dungeons.

TranceQuina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193  Edited By TranceQuina

I still come back to Kengo now and again. The pacing and atmosphere of the daily grind of a samurai in training is just really different. The controls are pretty awkward at first but once you're used to it it's perfectly playable. Then, once you're comfortable with it and those imperial tournaments roll into town, that's some of the most on-edge fighting I've done. There's basically no story and that's fine. It's total comfort food for me.

beard_of_zeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

@librariangmr:Man, Rule of Rose. What a creepy-ass game. I ended up buying that on a whim from a Kmart since it was in a clearance bin (lucky for me, it seems to be a super-rare game now), and was not fully prepared for that experience. Everything except the part where you play it is pretty good, though.

For me, I'll back Alpha Protocol, which everyone has mentioned. It probably helped that I did a stealth/pistol build, which helps minimize the janky shooting. The story/choices/dialogue aspect of that game is still top-tier stuff. And Nolan North kills it as Steven Heck.

The two games that come to mind from 2013 are Remember Me and The Bureau: XCOM Declassified. I thought there were a lot of things to like about Remember Me, and I think if they were given the time and resources to make an expanded, more open sequel, it could be a revelation on the scale of the jump from Assassin's Creed 1 to 2. As for The Bureau, I had a lot of fun with the combat (which is like 90% of the game), so I enjoyed it. I guess I didn't have as much trouble commanding the AI folks as other people.

WightnNerdy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

I really liked I Am Alive. I understand that it's still a pretty janky game, but I enjoyed my time with it.

JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#196  Edited By JZ

All of them

Elwoodan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

• Remember Me
  • Dragon Age 2 had its flaws but was cool overall
  • The Club (not sure how badly it reviewed but I never hear anyone say anything good about it)
  • Brutal Legend
notdavid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#198  Edited By notdavid

What about games that were critically acclaimed when they came out, but received public backlash years later for no discernible reason?

*cough cough* Twilight Princess, Metal Gear Solid 4, Heavy Rain *cough*

Also I have a cold.

STUVNING

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

• Trespasser
  • Chaser
RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@notdavid said:

What about games that were critically acclaimed when they came out, but received public backlash years later for no discernible reason?

*cough cough* Twilight Princess, Metal Gear Solid 4, Heavy Rain *cough*

Also I have a cold.

Twilight Princess is fantastic. As is MGS4; in its own ludicrous way. Never cared that much for Heavy Rain but can appreciate it from a distance.