Popping my blog cherry

Avatar image for thundar_the_barbarian
Thundar_the_Barbarian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

I've always been a huge horror/ sci-fi nerd. I don't know what it is about the genre that appeals to me but I've always been fascinated by the weird and macabre. I think a steady diet of Jim Henson's "The Muppets"  & "The Dark Crystal", comic books and Hanna Barbera cartoons contributed to my love of all things strange. I was a huge video game fan as well but it wasn't until Capcoms Resident Evil on the PSone came out that I was completely hooked! But back then I was pretty picky about what games I played. Seeing as I had a small budget to buy games with, I had to make sure it was something I would really love. And being the horror fan that I am, I seemed to stick with that genre. But the pickings were slim at best so some of the games I bought could be a bit of a chore to get through (Nightmare Creatures). But there were some games that really stuck out and were a blast to play but for whatever reason, never got the attention it should have. Now that I'm a little older and have a little bit more disposable income (the operative word being "little") it would be interesting to go back and play some of these games to see how they stood the test of time.

No Caption Provided
Some of the games I'm going to go back to include:

Galerians -PSone
The Evil Dead -PSone
Resident Evil -PSone
Dino Crisis -PSone
Parasite Eve 1 &2 -PSone
Silent HIll -PSone
Alone In The Dark -PSone
Carrier - Dreamcast

There are also a handful of classic and not so classic Survival Horror titles that I never had a chance to play the first time through. I'm going to keep my eyes peeled for
Half Life 1
The Thing
Run Like Hell
Kuon
Siren
Eternal Darkness

If anyone else is interested, it could be fun to play through some of these games at the same time and discuss what are impressions are. I'm going to start with Galerians, so if you want to join me, drop me a line.

Thundar_the_Barbarian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've always been a huge horror/ sci-fi nerd. I don't know what it is about the genre that appeals to me but I've always been fascinated by the weird and macabre. I think a steady diet of Jim Henson's "The Muppets"  & "The Dark Crystal", comic books and Hanna Barbera cartoons contributed to my love of all things strange. I was a huge video game fan as well but it wasn't until Capcoms Resident Evil on the PSone came out that I was completely hooked! But back then I was pretty picky about what games I played. Seeing as I had a small budget to buy games with, I had to make sure it was something I would really love. And being the horror fan that I am, I seemed to stick with that genre. But the pickings were slim at best so some of the games I bought could be a bit of a chore to get through (Nightmare Creatures). But there were some games that really stuck out and were a blast to play but for whatever reason, never got the attention it should have. Now that I'm a little older and have a little bit more disposable income (the operative word being "little") it would be interesting to go back and play some of these games to see how they stood the test of time.

No Caption Provided
Some of the games I'm going to go back to include:

Galerians -PSone
The Evil Dead -PSone
Resident Evil -PSone
Dino Crisis -PSone
Parasite Eve 1 &2 -PSone
Silent HIll -PSone
Alone In The Dark -PSone
Carrier - Dreamcast

There are also a handful of classic and not so classic Survival Horror titles that I never had a chance to play the first time through. I'm going to keep my eyes peeled for
Half Life 1
The Thing
Run Like Hell
Kuon
Siren
Eternal Darkness

If anyone else is interested, it could be fun to play through some of these games at the same time and discuss what are impressions are. I'm going to start with Galerians, so if you want to join me, drop me a line.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By iamjohn

I like the idea, but was it necessary to post this in GD?

Thundar_the_Barbarian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sorry, I'm pretty new to this and don't know the proper GB etiquette. My bad.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By toowalrus
Thundar_the_Barbarian said:
"Sorry, I'm pretty new to this and don't know the proper GB etiquette. My bad."
We are all about proper etiquette. Pinkies out.
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By penguindust
LIghtsabers, wookies and princesses - oh, my!
LIghtsabers, wookies and princesses - oh, my!
First of all, kudos on the screen name...

Second of all, if you're a Jim Henson fan, you may want to see out the Jim Henson Storyteller TV show.  It was paired with a Muppent Show style half-hour variety show in the late 80s.  The Storyteller half of the hour long show was more in line with the Dark Crystal over the studio's Kermit & Piggy programming. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4V3CFZdcmc

Finally, I think it's great that you are willing to go back to the PSone era title and try those games you missed growing up.  I, myself, can't commit to that particular time anymore as I find the graphics just too jarring for me.  Now, the previous generation (to that generation) of games, I'm completely okay with, but I applaud your endeavour.