• 102 results
#1 Posted by Echofoxz (98 posts) -

So, imagine this scenario: All of your friends are enjoying this popular game and talking about this game like its the best game ever, so you tried it out and it did not click for you.

Or this scenario: Almost all of the gaming critics gave this game near perfect scores for its awesomeness. However when you tried it, you thought it was good but not great.

I have two big ones on this list: The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion and Bioshock.

I completely understand and agree with the praises that people gave them. Oblivion had a huge open world to explore in, incredibly deep leveling and RPG system, tons of quests, etc. And Bioshock created this underwater 1960's city that had a great atmosphere and visual design. It had a great story. The gameplay had variety with different combinations of weapons and plasmids.

However unlike many people, I did not love Oblivion and Bioshock. I only liked them.

For Oblivion, the combat felt incredibly dull with no impact, the voice acting was pretty stale, and the lack of focus made me wander around until I was bored. Maybe the lack of focus could be a compliment to the openness of the game, but it certainly did not help make me stay in the game.

And as for Bioshock, the combat was a little too easy, especially when there's no death penalty. The moral choices of saving Little Sisters seems a little empty for me, since you would ultimately get the same (or more ADAM, I can't quite remember) amount of ADAM when you rescue them. And I thought the ending was super anti-climatic, which made the twist in the story less memorable in the end.

So the question: Are there any popular or well-received games that you just could not get into?

#2 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

Every RTS that exists.

#3 Posted by Scheds (464 posts) -

Super Smash Bros. I feel like I'm the only person in the world who doesn't dig it! Maybe I am. But I have never been able to get into it.

#4 Edited by Guided_By_Tigers (8061 posts) -

I couldn't get into the majority of critically acclaimed Western RPGs I've tried (Mass Effect 2, Dragon Age, Fallout New Vegas, etc.).......that's why I now consider Western RPGs one of my least favorite genres .

#5 Posted by TooSweet (387 posts) -

@CL60 said:

Every RTS that exists.

Same here. Just didn't hold my attention for very long. Also League of Legends. In my office just about everyone plays it. I'm the only one that doesn't participate.

#6 Posted by Atlas (2444 posts) -

Oblivion and BioShock? Man, the OP and I obviously have dramatically different taste in games, as those are among my top 5 very favourite games of all-time ever.

For me my classic example is Grand Theft Auto 4. I distinctly remember the insane amount of hype that surrounded that game pre-release - the perfect scores, the claims of it being "video games' equivalent of The Godfather", and of course it was one of the first "classic" games of the Giant Bomb era, and Jeff and Ryan covered the game extensively. I was suckered in by the hype and bought it day one, despite having never played any of the previous GTA games. And it did absolutely nothing for me. Characters weren't interesting, humour was very flat, mechanics were annoying, mission structure was incredibly tedious, and the open world aspects of the game were a real letdown as well. Played about six-eight hours of it and just couldn't bring myself to finish it; eventually I sold it on eBay. It was an extremely disappointing and sobering experience, and ever since I have always tried to resist the lure of buying a game based on hype - which is why I am going to wait to buy Diablo III until the reviews are out and the servers are straightened out.

And yes, I am one of those people who hated GTAIV and absolutely adored Red Dead Redemption. Perhaps it's just a greater affinity for the western genre than crime dramas, but I also believe that RDR is a significantly better playing game, and it delivers its story so much more effectively. It's a very different kind of game, but my Rockstar love also extends to L.A. Noire, which while somewhat flawed is one of the greatest achievements in video game world-crafting, atmosphere and ambiance I have ever experienced.

#7 Posted by Bell_End (1208 posts) -

2D platformers. even back in the day i hated them.

#8 Posted by Pink_o_mat (203 posts) -

GTA 4. I liked (not loved) all the GTAs before, but I could not get into 4. I hated the driving, the action was not very good and the lack of mid-mission checkpoints was infuriating.

And just like Atlas I love Red Dead Redemption and L.A. Noire.

#9 Posted by D_Bones (365 posts) -

Wrote a large tangent on my lack of interest in the Bioshock and Assassins Creed series after being bored with first games. Got erased sigh so just those

#10 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5827 posts) -

Bastion.

#11 Posted by Niall_Sg1 (362 posts) -

Assassins creed mostly, also never really got into GTA IV or Red Dead..

#12 Posted by BulletproofMonk (2720 posts) -

Devil May Cry 3 is the only one I can think of right now.

#13 Posted by PassiveKaerenai (326 posts) -

I am one of those people who hate Bioshock. The whole things was just goofy. Felt like one of those 90s/early-2000s cartoons trying to be dark and edgy for the pre-teen crowd.

#14 Edited by MrJorOwe (282 posts) -

Gta4 (really liked the others), Bioshock, every RTS, LoL, every MMO, pretty much ever racing game that isn't Trackmania. Oh and the Zelda franchise. Man, that makes it sound like I just play CoD all day.

I don't

#15 Posted by stryker1121 (1439 posts) -

@Echofoxz said:

So, imagine this scenario: All of your friends are enjoying this popular game and talking about this game like its the best game ever, so you tried it out and it did not click for you.

Or this scenario: Almost all of the gaming critics gave this game near perfect scores for its awesomeness. However when you tried it, you thought it was good but not great.

I have two big ones on this list: The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion and Bioshock.

I completely understand and agree with the praises that people gave them. Oblivion had a huge open world to explore in, incredibly deep leveling and RPG system, tons of quests, etc. And Bioshock created this underwater 1960's city that had a great atmosphere and visual design. It had a great story. The gameplay had variety with different combinations of weapons and plasmids.

However unlike many people, I did not love Oblivion and Bioshock. I only liked them.

For Oblivion, the combat felt incredibly dull with no impact, the voice acting was pretty stale, and the lack of focus made me wander around until I was bored. Maybe the lack of focus could be a compliment to the openness of the game, but it certainly did not help make me stay in the game.

And as for Bioshock, the combat was a little too easy, especially when there's no death penalty. The moral choices of saving Little Sisters seems a little empty for me, since you would ultimately get the same (or more ADAM, I can't quite remember) amount of ADAM when you rescue them. And I thought the ending was super anti-climatic, which made the twist in the story less memorable in the end.

So the question: Are there any popular or well-received games that you just could not get into?

I utterly adore both those games, but some of the flaws you point out are very viable for both. Can you turn off the VitaChambers in Bio1? I did that for Bio2 and played on veteran difficulty, and it changed the experience dramatically. Great fun. And yes, you do get more ADAM should you save the sisters. Which is kind of the lesson there, no? As for Oblivion, the openness is what I loved about it, but I can't argue much about the melee combat. I guess I'm saying that both those titles overcame their flaws, at least for me, and stand as two of the greatest games of this gen.

#16 Posted by MikkaQ (10288 posts) -

@CL60 said:

Every RTS that exists.

Yeah I'm the same way. Except I'll defend AOE to the death. That and AOE II were the only RTS games I reached competency in. I tried hard with Starcraft 2, and game close to kinda figuring it out and being able to win matches, but I gave up.

Also MMORPGs. I find them all very samey and unrewarding.

I'm game for pretty much anything else.

#17 Posted by frankfartmouth (1018 posts) -

@FancySoapsMan said:

Bastion.

Agreed. I tried really hard to get into it, but the combat was dull and monotonous. A lot of people went on about how the narration made the game, but I didn't think it was all that witty or special. They did that kind of thing all the way back with The Bard's Tale, and it didn't make that a great game either. Just OK. Which is what I thought this was.

It looked really cool though.

#18 Posted by jonnybob (166 posts) -

Final Fantasy XIII loved some of the previous ones, but something about this one just made it boring, didn't get past the snow.

#19 Posted by Otacon (2209 posts) -

I've been hammering it into my head that I like mass effect, I started ME1 a few months back and have been snail pacing my way through it to the point were I took a 2 month break from video games in general because I was asking myself 'do I even enjoy games any more, this game is great and I can kind of see it but I'm not really enjoying it'. Maybe I just don't like mass effect! Which is weird because I love RPGs.

#20 Edited by PrivateIronTFU (3874 posts) -

I can't stand RTS games. They're so boring.

And JRPGs. Because I really hate the art style of anime.

#21 Posted by believer258 (11903 posts) -

@Scheds said:

Super Smash Bros. I feel like I'm the only person in the world who doesn't dig it! Maybe I am. But I have never been able to get into it.

Nope. I'm in that same boat with you. I liked Melee a little bit, but after a match or two I was done with the series. I couldn't make myself play Brawl for anything.

I must say that I'm not a big fan of the Uncharted series, either. The second one was all right in 30 minute spurts but I don't care at all to play through again.

And then there's Killzone 3, which I just didn't like at all. I did play and beat Killzone 2, but I just couldn't make myself play 3 at all.

#22 Edited by MocBucket62 (1228 posts) -
@Scheds said:

I thought Ryan Davis didn't like Super Smash Bros as well. Didn't he say it was a ripoff of Powerstone? Anyways if I had to choose a popular game or types of games that I never got into, probably MMORPGs like World of Warcraft, just never wanted to pay extra money play with millions of people.
#23 Posted by jjnen (661 posts) -
@Pink_o_mat

GTA 4. I liked (not loved) all the GTAs before, but I could not get into 4. I hated the driving, the action was not very good and the lack of mid-mission checkpoints was infuriating.

Did you play GTA 4 when it first came out? Imo the game has aged horribly. Though when I first got the game in '08 it took some time to get used to the driving and those problems woth the cover mechanic.. Oh god. It wasn't easy game to get into after Vice City.
#24 Posted by EXTomar (4724 posts) -

Demon's Souls (and subsequent Dark Souls) were games I recognized the good things they were trying to do but utterly failing at other aspects and have been highly critical of those faults but it seems to fall on deaf ears and blind eyes. I'm confused why people let them get away with it where if this was a European or NA company that released it with these flaws it would have been ridiculed.

#25 Posted by VisariLoyalist (2992 posts) -

@PrivateIronTFU said:

I can't stand RTS games. They're so boring.

And JRPGs. Because I really hate the art style of anime.

the slow pace is really an rts's strength. It's for ocd power fantasy types for sure.

#26 Posted by StingingVelvet (569 posts) -

Borderlands, Diablo, MMOs and any other game based around "loot." I don't care about loot, never have. I remember early previews of Borderlands getting me SUPER excited, then I played it and realized it was Diablo as a shooter and was super bummed.

LA Noire... and I say that as an old adventure game fan. It just seemed like I was following steps, rather than figuring anything out myself. Also every scene was the same as one before.

Any RTS, they give me anxiety.

#27 Posted by mercutio123 (471 posts) -

Mass Effect. And yes I am a terrible person

#28 Posted by Pipeto (7 posts) -

Any of the Call of Duty and GTA games. Can't really explain why just couldn't get into either of them.

#29 Posted by CRAzYKiLL3R93 (368 posts) -

Borderlands, I never got into it but my friends played it all the time.

I'm not quite sure why I didn't like it, it just wasn't my thing.

#30 Posted by allworkandlowpay (874 posts) -

No, because I'm not a contrarian.

#31 Posted by Echofoxz (98 posts) -

@Atlas said:

Oblivion and BioShock? Man, the OP and I obviously have dramatically different taste in games, as those are among my top 5 very favourite games of all-time ever.

For me my classic example is Grand Theft Auto 4. I distinctly remember the insane amount of hype that surrounded that game pre-release - the perfect scores, the claims of it being "video games' equivalent of The Godfather", and of course it was one of the first "classic" games of the Giant Bomb era, and Jeff and Ryan covered the game extensively. I was suckered in by the hype and bought it day one, despite having never played any of the previous GTA games. And it did absolutely nothing for me. Characters weren't interesting, humour was very flat, mechanics were annoying, mission structure was incredibly tedious, and the open world aspects of the game were a real letdown as well. Played about six-eight hours of it and just couldn't bring myself to finish it; eventually I sold it on eBay. It was an extremely disappointing and sobering experience, and ever since I have always tried to resist the lure of buying a game based on hype - which is why I am going to wait to buy Diablo III until the reviews are out and the servers are straightened out.

And yes, I am one of those people who hated GTAIV and absolutely adored Red Dead Redemption. Perhaps it's just a greater affinity for the western genre than crime dramas, but I also believe that RDR is a significantly better playing game, and it delivers its story so much more effectively. It's a very different kind of game, but my Rockstar love also extends to L.A. Noire, which while somewhat flawed is one of the greatest achievements in video game world-crafting, atmosphere and ambiance I have ever experienced.

I wouldn't give Grand Theft Auto IV a perfect ten, but I did enjoy that game a whole lot more than you did. Yes, I believe we do have very different taste in games.

I utterly adore both those games, but some of the flaws you point out are very viable for both. Can you turn off the VitaChambers in Bio1? I did that for Bio2 and played on veteran difficulty, and it changed the experience dramatically. Great fun. And yes, you do get more ADAM should you save the sisters. Which is kind of the lesson there, no? As for Oblivion, the openness is what I loved about it, but I can't argue much about the melee combat. I guess I'm saying that both those titles overcame their flaws, at least for me, and stand as two of the greatest games of this gen.

Um... No, I don't think you can turn off the VitaChambers in Bioshock.

Well, if one choice offered you more of a reward, won't you be more likely to pick that choice? And isn't more likely that normal people would pick the good choice anyways? If the good choice offers more rewards and is morally upright, then I don't see any reason to be the bad guy. So the choice is like an election in a one-party system (not really the perfect simile, but you know what I mean).

I'm glad you enjoyed the two games despite some flaws. I, on the other hand, not as much.

#32 Posted by Little_Socrates (5677 posts) -

I am in a personal war with elements of Mass Effect 3, The Witcher 2, Portal 2, and Uncharted 2. However, I definitely still enjoyed Uncharted 2.

I also actively dislike Dragon Age: Origins, Ocarina of Time, and Gears of War 3's campaign. And I revile Metal Gear Solid 4.

#33 Posted by Pink_o_mat (203 posts) -

@Rappelsiini said:

@Pink_o_mat

Did you play GTA 4 when it first came out? Imo the game has aged horribly. Though when I first got the game in '08 it took some time to get used to the driving and those problems woth the cover mechanic.. Oh god. It wasn't easy game to get into after Vice City.

I player it when it was 30€ on PS3, so maybe a year after release. I think at the time there were too many better games (mechanically, the world of GTA is fantastic). Maybe I should try Lost+Damned, I think they trimmed the fat from the game.

#34 Posted by WMWA (1162 posts) -
@FancySoapsMan
Bastion.
This. The narrator is awesome and it's a solid game. I got bored really quick. Haven't finished it yet. =\
#35 Posted by OldGuy (1557 posts) -

Metal Gear Solid series. Bleh. Give me Thief, thank you.

#36 Posted by wewantsthering (1565 posts) -

@Atlas: I had the same experience with Saints Row: The Third. Thought most of it wasn't funny (or at least wasn't that funny) and the combat was boring and repetitive.

#37 Posted by notdavid (839 posts) -

Any GTA before 4, Bioshock, competitive multiplayer in... anything. I'm sure if I gave Bioshock more of a chance, I would dig it. It seems like it would be right up my alley.

#38 Posted by Sergio (2123 posts) -

Fez. It was OK, but the way the guys on the Bombcast gushed over it felt unwarranted.

Sword & Sworcery. Didn't like it and found that it was overrated.

#39 Posted by Svenzon (720 posts) -

Every game released by Blizzard Entertainment after the first Starcraft. Never got past the first act of Diablo 2, no matter how hard I've tried. Played through a fairly big chunk of Warcraft 3's campaign before getting bored. My interest in World of Warcraft died when I was sent on the third "Kill 10 bandits" mission in a row. Starcraft 2 didn't grab me, neither single- or multiplayer. I have a Diablo 3 guest pass and I hope it will be fun, but my expectations are low as hell (pun intended).

Curse of Monkey Island. It's really an okay game, but the way it handled the characters and the story rubbed me the wrong way. I would have been fine if the series ended after LeChuck's Revenge.

Planescape Torment. I honestly can't say why. All the angry Chris Avellone fanboys make it even more off-putting to me. Note that I actually like Avellone and his work a lot, but being called an idiot because the game never clicked with me isn't exactly going to turn my opinion around. Now that I've left the Something Awful forums behind me for good, maybe it will change.

#40 Posted by bakoomerang (85 posts) -

Mass Effect 1 & 2, Fallout 3 - I wanted to like them but they just don't do it for me. I'm not an RPG kinda person though. I lasted about 10 minutes with Oblivion although weirdly I got really into Skyrim and ended up finishing it.

Red Dead Redemption - I finished it but barely touched the side stuff, I just barreled through the main story. I really didn't think it looked good or played all that well either.

Metal Gear Solid 4 - Loved MGS 1 & 2 back in the day, played and finished 3 but didn't care for it, then eventually played and finished MGS4 about 2 years after it came out and could not for the life of me see why people loved it so much!

#41 Posted by muralbat (152 posts) -

Starcraft. I find nothing interesting in it at all. Not sure why. I can see why people like it though.

#42 Posted by Slay3r1583 (612 posts) -

The most recent one I can think of is Journey.

#43 Posted by bakoomerang (85 posts) -

@Sergio said:

Sword & Sworcery. Didn't like it and found that it was overrated.

Also this. Again, though, I finished it. What the hell is wrong with me?!

#44 Posted by shadows_kill (3165 posts) -

Bastion and Mass Effect 2 really.

#45 Posted by stryker1121 (1439 posts) -

Thinking about OP's question, i'd say a couple Rockstar games didn't live up to the hype for me--RDR and GTAIV. I got bored w/ the constant shooty missions of the former, and saving someone from hanging 10 times, despite the beauty of the world and a pretty interesting lead man. Parts of the game felt too much like a slog.

GTAIV built an amazing city, but there wasn't anything to do outside of the main missions. Vice City (the series high point IMO) and San Andreas allowed far more freedom and craziness that IV eschewed for 'realism,' i.e. your cuz calling you to go bowling. I hope V goes a little retro in terms of the gameplay.

#46 Edited by No0b0rAmA (1490 posts) -

Crysis. I don't understand the hype about that game. It's not that it was a bad game, actually I thought it was a shit game, but at best it felt like a "meh" game, like a 6/10.

And The Witcher, but I totally understand why people liked the Witcher.

#47 Edited by Revan_NL (341 posts) -

Skyrim is the latest one, it's strange because Oblivion is one of my favorite games of this generation. Somehow the world of Skyrim just doesn't click with me.

Other then that it's Half-Life 2, played it on the original Xbox and didn't care for it, stopped playing when I reached Ravenholm. Picked up the Orange Box for the 360 when it came out, hoping that the improved graphics would help me see the brilliance that this game supposed to have. I finished it as well as episodes 1&2 and I liked episodes 1&2 more then the main game.

I also couldn't get into either of the Mario Galaxy games. Mario 64 is one of my all-time favorites but I do not care for the Galaxy games. I can see that they are good games, I just hated the controls. I've never been a huge motion control fan but I really began to hate motion control after my experience with Mario Galaxy, because I really think that I would've been able to enjoy those games if I could play it with a GameCube controller

#48 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -

Gotham Asylum

Assassin's Creed

GTA 4

#49 Posted by SuperSambo (2865 posts) -

Skyrim

It kept glitching, the gameplay was boring and kinda janky, but worst of all I felt disconnected from everything.

#50 Posted by PrivateIronTFU (3874 posts) -

@Echofoxz said:

@Atlas said:

I wouldn't give Grand Theft Auto IV a perfect ten, but I did enjoy that game a whole lot more than you did. Yes, I believe we do have very different taste in games.

Um... No, I don't think you can turn off the VitaChambers in Bioshock.

Well, if one choice offered you more of a reward, won't you be more likely to pick that choice? And isn't more likely that normal people would pick the good choice anyways? If the good choice offers more rewards and is morally upright, then I don't see any reason to be the bad guy. So the choice is like an election in a one-party system (not really the perfect simile, but you know what I mean).

I'm glad you enjoyed the two games despite some flaws. I, on the other hand, not as much.

Uh, yes. You can absolutely turn off Vita Chambers in Bioshock.