• 66 results
#1 Posted by RiotBananas (3600 posts) -

So in the UK the selfish people at the Royal Mail have decided that they don't want to be replaced by machines and they want more pay, I won't go into my opinion on this too much because damn! okay... so with plenty of games coming out these next few weeks many websites have started to realise they may not be able to get the games to customers...

Are you guys willing to pay for postage when you may not get your game on time for release?

(Kudos to GAME for keeping their "1st to play" service open for free)

#2 Edited by Gizmo (5389 posts) -
#3 Posted by Pie (7110 posts) -

Im wondering i like they claim games will still be delivered on release at GAME

#4 Posted by RiotBananas (3600 posts) -
@Pie: In the way that you usually get them a day early or because of the Royal Mail thing?
#5 Posted by ElectricBoogaloo (366 posts) -

I just order from Shopto. £1.99 for UKMail next day delivery and so far my games have come on a Wednesday (like today, I got Borderlands and Forza 3).

#6 Posted by Pie (7110 posts) -
@RiotBananas said:
" @Pie: In the way that you usually get them a day early or because of the Royal Mail thing? "
Royal mail thing and also I dont think ive ever got a game a day early from them. Unlucky me I guess
#7 Posted by RiotBananas (3600 posts) -
@Pie: Seriously? Dude that sucks :(

Everyone accept Halo 3: ODST has come a day earlier for me.

@ElectricBoogaloo: You already have Borderlands and Forza 3? Damnit mine come tomorrow!
#8 Posted by Branthog (5595 posts) -

As much as it sucks to lose your job, there's no reason to employ a person if you can save money by using a machine. Business isn't a charity.

I'm not sure what your courier services are like in the UK, but I avoid the US Postal Service at all costs. Nothing against them necessarily, but they are less reliable and only deliver to your mailbox (which in my case is across the entire apartment complex and has a very small box for deliveries). I prefer FedEX and UPS which deliver right to my door and can be tracked online and is almost never delayed. Thankfully, Amazon uses UPS for everything.

In the UK, are you allowed to use couriers, or do you have some sort of law that obligates you to use the public service? In the states, there are almost always two or three options (US Postal Service, UPS, and sometimes FedEX) and it seems like UPS is offered more often than the post office service, even.

#9 Posted by Pie (7110 posts) -
@RiotBananas: Actually the only game in recent memory that I ordered from GAME is batman that game on the 28 (the release date). I use......other places to get games
#10 Posted by RiotBananas (3600 posts) -
@Branthog said:
" As much as it sucks to lose your job, there's no reason to employ a person if you can save money by using a machine. Business isn't a charity.  I'm not sure what your courier services are like in the UK, but I avoid the US Postal Service at all costs. Nothing against them necessarily, but they are less reliable and only deliver to your mailbox (which in my case is across the entire apartment complex and has a very small box for deliveries). I prefer FedEX and UPS which deliver right to my door and can be tracked online and is almost never delayed. Thankfully, Amazon uses UPS for everything.  In the UK, are you allowed to use couriers, or do you have some sort of law that obligates you to use the public service? In the states, there are almost always two or three options (US Postal Service, UPS, and sometimes FedEX) and it seems like UPS is offered more often than the post office service, even. "
Well UPS and FedEx are over here too, but the Royal Mail is by far the most "popular" (not in that sense unfortunately). Couriers are very much up to the business in the UK, if you choose next day delivery it is still usually by Royal Mail first class. The problem the Royal Mail is going to have is that people will just be like "Fine, we'll hire UPS" and then they'll be bust.

I totally agree with the "Business isn't charity" thing, They can't survive if they don't modernise.
#11 Posted by RiotBananas (3600 posts) -
@Pie: Elaborate....
#12 Posted by Rhaknar (5939 posts) -

im outside the UK, pre ordered borderlands from amazon.co.uk and its being shipped today, but im afraid i wont get it friday (its always 2 days from amazon for me) because of the strike... and that will BLOW, no weekend borderlands for me :(

#13 Posted by Pie (7110 posts) -
@RiotBananas said:
" @Pie: Elaborate.... "
The actual shop......GAME! Ill give you a clue as to where. A major shopping centre in the north
#14 Posted by Leviticus128 (217 posts) -

well hmv posting is bad enough anyway, paid 15 quid delivery for my new xbox 360 super elite, preordered it like a month ago and today they ring me up to tell me that it wont be here til the 30th, a whole week after release so i told him where he can shove my order,ill go get it myself from game at midnight launch

#15 Posted by RiotBananas (3600 posts) -
@Pie said:
" @RiotBananas said:
The actual shop......GAME! Ill give you a clue as to where. A major shopping centre in the north "
I'm a midlander, never ventured any "norther" than Kidderminster so I wouldn't know where!

I find the online GAME about £5-£10 cheaper than the stores, which is fair enough considering you're cutting out the middle man. Who's usually abit fat and extra grumpy at you walking in at 5:25pm when they're about to close ¬_¬
#16 Posted by RiotBananas (3600 posts) -
@leviticus128: Super Elite?
#17 Posted by Pie (7110 posts) -
@RiotBananas said:
" @Pie said:
" @RiotBananas said:
The actual shop......GAME! Ill give you a clue as to where. A major shopping centre in the north "
I'm a midlander, never ventured any "norther" than Kidderminster so I wouldn't know where!  I find the online GAME about £5-£10 cheaper than the stores, which is fair enough considering you're cutting out the middle man. Who's usually abit fat and extra grumpy at you walking in at 5:25pm when they're about to close ¬_¬ "
Your game closes early! Oh yeah, probably because my GAME is in a major shopping centre in the north
*smug*
#18 Posted by RiotBananas (3600 posts) -
@Pie said:
" @RiotBananas said:
" @Pie said:
" @RiotBananas said:
I'm a midlander, never ventured any "norther" than Kidderminster so I wouldn't know where!  I find the online GAME about £5-£10 cheaper than the stores, which is fair enough considering you're cutting out the middle man. Who's usually abit fat and extra grumpy at you walking in at 5:25pm when they're about to close ¬_¬ "
Your game closes early! Oh yeah, probably because my GAME is in a major shopping centre in the north *smug* "
My GAME is in a small shopping area and it's not very big either. :(
#19 Posted by PJ (1153 posts) -
I wouldn't pay and on one ocation didn't pay(but thats because it was 3 weeks late and I could see on their website that they had it at a sorting station).
A postal stike is a real bitch especialy for those(like me) who orders games online.

But, since there is a website here in Sweden that has free shipping, not really, its baked into the game price but they have a price guarantee so that they are the cheapest always. So I order my games from them so shipping costs are not a problem for me. And if orderd before 16.00 I believe it is you get the game the next day. Its pretty sweet.
#20 Posted by Pie (7110 posts) -
@RiotBananas said:
" @Pie said:
" @RiotBananas said:
" @Pie said:
" @RiotBananas said:
Your game closes early! Oh yeah, probably because my GAME is in a major shopping centre in the north *smug* "
My GAME is in a small shopping area and it's not very big either. :( "
Well my LARGE shopping centre has TWO MEDIUM sized GAMES
*Smugness of the next level*
#21 Posted by PJ (1153 posts) -
@RiotBananas said:
" @Pie said:
" @RiotBananas said:
" @Pie said:
" @RiotBananas said:
Its like a dick waiving contest but the other guy has is pants on.
#22 Posted by Linkyshinks (9880 posts) -

Hell no. To hell with it all, I'm sparing myself this bullshit and getting all my games on launch day in store. My only concern is how long this crap will last, as I normally buy a load of stuff on Amazon UK in November. While this shit persists I've go no choice but to put that idea on the back-burner, because even when things are normal, Royal Mail still annoy me.

#23 Posted by RiotBananas (3600 posts) -
@Pie said:
" @RiotBananas said:
" @Pie said:
" @RiotBananas said:
" @Pie said:
" @RiotBananas said:
Well my LARGE shopping centre has TWO MEDIUM sized GAMES *Smugness of the next level* "
My city has it's own fucking Sauce.

Your move.
#24 Posted by VibratingDonkey (886 posts) -

I hope my Borderlands and Forza 3 orders manage to find their way out of the UK before the strike. Shipped Friday and Monday I think. Strike starts tomorrow right?

#25 Posted by Linkyshinks (9880 posts) -
@RiotBananas said:
" @leviticus128: Super Elite? "

I think he means the 250 Gig MW2 Lim Ed
#26 Posted by Pie (7110 posts) -
@RiotBananas said:
" @Pie said:
" @RiotBananas said:
" @Pie said:
" @RiotBananas said:
" @Pie said:
" @RiotBananas said:
Well my LARGE shopping centre has TWO MEDIUM sized GAMES *Smugness of the next level* "
My city has it's own fucking Sauce.  Your move. "
My city is being featured as the base of operations in the next C&C
#27 Posted by Leviticus128 (217 posts) -
@Linkyshinks:  no i mean the 250 gig forza 3 ltd edition
#28 Posted by Agent47CSim2 (1085 posts) -
@Pie said:

So does mine *smug*
#29 Posted by RiotBananas (3600 posts) -
@Agent47CSim2 said:
" @Pie said:
So does mine *smug* "
IM MEGAN FOX. *SMUG*
#30 Posted by Agent47CSim2 (1085 posts) -

I buy mine in store anyway.

#31 Posted by Pie (7110 posts) -
@Agent47CSim2 said:
" @Pie said:
So does mine *smug* "
Its probably the same place you silly billy
#32 Edited by Mikeydon (1 posts) -

i had to join this site as I was so annoyed at some of your selfish comments about the Postal Workers here in the UK. 

Yes, it annoys me as much as anyone here in the UK, but to say that the workers are (to quote RiotBananas) "selfish" for going on strike because they don't want to be replaced by machines, or the comment by  Branthog that "business isn't a charity"  just because you can't get your bloody game on time to play is a comment I would expect a dumb ass like Prince Phillip or one of the other Royals to come out with who don't know what it means to be without a job or money to feed their families. 

I'm NOT a postal worker but my friend is, (here in the UK) who has worked for them for over 10 years. HE & his other fellow workers DON'T want to strike & have said that they & a HUGE majority of them were OPPOSED to the action because its unfair on the public & they just want to get on & do their jobs. 

Its NOT about been replaced by machines, that's not the point they are making here; its about Royal Mail demanding they take redundancy (which is a VERY small amount been offered) & leave, OR be forced to work part time for a paupers wage.  

You have the right to your opinion guys, freedom of speech & all that, but please get the FACTS RIGHT before you mouth off about what you THINK you know, because you know shit.

RiotBananasBranthog, how would YOU feel if you had worked your ass off in a job for YEARS & was loyal & was then told "hey, you can piss off now because were getting a machine to do your job" & so you were forced out & so you weren't able to feed your family because you were now unemployed, you then would lose your house, your car, probably your family too etc & adding insult to injury, you would, initially, be more or less left homeless? I bet YOU two wouldn't say "hey, its business & its not a charity"  would you? 

...NO YOU WOULDN"T because you'd FIGHT to keep your job to be able to support your family & way of life.................,  shit, life is hard enough without arseholes like you two mouthing off with your "adapt or die" attitude.

But then again, some of us live in the REAL world & NOT a bloody computer generated one.

#33 Posted by Colin (707 posts) -
@Mikeydon said:
"i had to join this site as I was so annoyed at some of your selfish comments about the Postal Workers here in the UK. 

Yes, it annoys me as much as anyone here in the UK, but to say that the workers are (to quote RiotBananas) "selfish" for going on strike because they don't want to be replaced by machines, or the comment by  Branthog that "business isn't a charity"  just because you can't get your bloody game to play is a comment I would expect a dumb ass like Prince Phillip or one of the other Royals to come out with who don't know what it means to be without a job or money to feed their families. 

I'm NOT a postal worker but my friend is, (here in the UK) who has worked for them for over 10 years. HE & his other fellow workers DON'T want to strike & have said that they a HUGE majority of them were OPPOSED the action because its unfair on the public & they just want to get on & do their jobs. 

Its NOT about been replaced by machines, its about Royal Mail demanding they take redundancy (which is a VERY small amount) & leave, OR be forced to work part time.  

You have the right to your opinion's guys, but get the FACTS RIGHT before you mouth off about what you THINK you know, because you know sh*t.

RiotBananasBranthog, how would YOU feel if you had worked your ass off in a job for YEARS & was loyal & was then told "hey, you can piss off now because were getting a machine to do your job" & so you were forced out & now you weren't even able to feed your family because you were now unemployed, you then would lose your house, your car, probably your family too etc & adding insult to injury now be more or less left homeless? I bet YOU wouldn't say "hey, its business & its not a charity"...NO YOU WOULDN"T because you'd FIGHT to keep your job for your family.................,  

But then again, some of us live in the REAL world & NOT a bloody computer generated one. "

Go cry to someone that cares, this is the wrong place.
#34 Posted by PilotXIan (103 posts) -

Being a UK resident, and having pre-ordered all of my video game purchases online in the last 3 months, I was concerned to hear about the postal strike and the impact it may have upon the arrival of things such as MW2 and other purchases I have made for christmas! Thankfully though, I received an email from HMV last week to inform me that my order of MW2 had been moved over from the Royal Mail to ParcelForce, in order to ensure I get the game at launch, at no extra cost! Obviously I'm pretty pleased with the move!

As far as postal services go, in the past few months I've ordered Halo : ODST, Forza 3 and Operation Flashpoint : Dragon Rising, all from Play.com. I received ODST on launch day, Forza 3 a day early, and Dragon Rising 5 days after launch. I have no idea whether it was due to the post, or Play.com dispatching my items or what, but it seems I've had a very mixed bag when it comes to getting games in the post!

#35 Edited by get2sammyb (6412 posts) -

The postal strikes are so hilariously self-defeating. The Royal Mail are losing custom, which in turn is going to mean they downsize, which means posties are going to lose their jobs, which means the unions are going to have nothing to do... Which means -- they're digging their own grave. Worried about Modern Warfare 2 though I must admit. Amazon are promising delivery during strikes. Posties strike on Monday.

@Mikeydon said:

"I'm NOT a postal worker but my friend is, (here in the UK) who has worked for them for over 10 years. HE & his other fellow workers DON'T want to strike & have said that they & a HUGE majority of them were OPPOSED to the action because its unfair on the public & they just want to get on & do their jobs. 

Its NOT about been replaced by machines, that's not the point they are making here; its about Royal Mail demanding they take redundancy (which is a VERY small amount been offered) & leave, OR be forced to work part time for a paupers wage.  

You have the right to your opinion guys, freedom of speech & all that, but please get the FACTS RIGHT before you mouth off about what you THINK you know, because you know shit. "
Oh right, you mean like all those people around the country who have lost their jobs but don't have the priveledge of holding the country at ransom before hand?
#36 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7617 posts) -

Well, I got Forza 3 from GAME a whole week before it's actual release, and they sent my copy of Dragon Age today, which isn't due until Friday.
So I'd say there's not much to worry about still, even if I don't get DO tomorrow, which I hopefully will, chances are it'll arrive on Thursday or at the very least Friday.

#37 Posted by RiotBananas (3600 posts) -
@Mikeydon said:
" i had to join this site as I was so annoyed at some of your selfish comments about the Postal Workers here in the UK. 

Yes, it annoys me as much as anyone here in the UK, but to say that the workers are (to quote RiotBananas) "selfish" for going on strike because they don't want to be replaced by machines, or the comment by  Branthog that "business isn't a charity"  just because you can't get your bloody game on time to play is a comment I would expect a dumb ass like Prince Phillip or one of the other Royals to come out with who don't know what it means to be without a job or money to feed their families. 

I'm NOT a postal worker but my friend is, (here in the UK) who has worked for them for over 10 years. HE & his other fellow workers DON'T want to strike & have said that they & a HUGE majority of them were OPPOSED to the action because its unfair on the public & they just want to get on & do their jobs. 

You have the right to your opinion guys, freedom of speech & all that, but please get the FACTS RIGHT before you mouth off about what you THINK you know, because you know shit.

RiotBananasBranthog, how would YOU feel if you had worked your ass off in a job for YEARS & was loyal & was then told "hey, you can piss off now because were getting a machine to do your job" & so you were forced out & so you weren't able to feed your family because you were now unemployed, you then would lose your house, your car, probably your family too etc & adding insult to injury, you would, initially, be more or less left homeless? I bet YOU two wouldn't say "hey, its business & its not a charity"  would you? 

...NO YOU WOULDN"T because you'd FIGHT to keep your job to be able to support your family & way of life.................,  shit, life is hard enough without arseholes like you two mouthing off with your "adapt or die" attitude.

But then again, some of us live in the REAL world & NOT a bloody computer generated one. "
Funnily enough I do have a job, and I am sometimes over worked and under paid, just like workers of the Royal Mail, and just like hundreds of thousands of other people, but we all get on with our jobs, because we're not going to throw our toys out of the pram, especially at such a key stage in the year, We're in a recession, and it's nearly christmas so the Royal Mail start striking now? I think I speak for almost everyone here when saying that's a pretty selfish thing to do. 

And it's not just about getting games sir, you got that totally wrong, what about the small companies that rely on the Royal Mail to deliver products to themselves and customers? How are these strikes going to affect them? Exactly, so before you start making accusations that we don't know the facts, perhaps think of being a little less contradictory when you post.

Welcome to Giant Bomb.
#38 Posted by Gamer_152 (14099 posts) -

I won't be ordering any games by mail in the near future but the postal strike is a bit of a bummer. In fact some of my mail may have been lost by the Royal Mail which was essential for obtaining my university grants.

#39 Posted by MachoFantastico (4862 posts) -

Received Forza Motorsport 3 on a Wednesday (Friday official release date) from GAME with the express delivery so it's worth going that way for the time being. Yes it's £2 extra but you get it early guaranteed.  

Though I'm going to the store to buy Modern Warfare 2, already overpricing us. 

#40 Posted by RiotBananas (3600 posts) -
@TrueEnglishGent: Won't it be more expensive in stores?
#41 Posted by Linkyshinks (9880 posts) -
@leviticus128 said:
" @Linkyshinks:  no i mean the 250 gig forza 3 ltd edition "

I had no idea one existed till now : / 
#42 Posted by Marzy (675 posts) -

Royal Mail have lost a hard drive caddy we ordered...

#43 Posted by RiotBananas (3600 posts) -
@Marzy: My new Longboard is also lost in the post. I paid £100 and I don't know when I'll get it :(
#44 Posted by Fallen189 (5050 posts) -

If you don't like it, don't order online.

#45 Posted by Marzy (675 posts) -
@RiotBananas said:
" @Marzy: My new Longboard is also lost in the post. I paid £100 and I don't know when I'll get it :( "
I'm sorry to hear that. :(

I hope everything gets sorted out for you and it comes soon.
#46 Posted by RiotBananas (3600 posts) -
@Marzy: Cheers man, same for your caddy.

Like I said before, it's not just affecting our lives, it's affecting the lives of people with small businesses.
#47 Posted by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -

These postal strikes are really getting me concerned about my Modern Warfare 2 pre-order.

#48 Posted by RiotBananas (3600 posts) -
@HandsomeDead said:
" These postal strikes are really getting me concerned about my Modern Warfare 2 pre-order. "
Depending on where you ordered it you should be fine, Most large retailers are upgrading to couriers (Many more may follow if the Royal Mail keep this up)

GAME and Amazon are both using Parcel Force I think...
#49 Posted by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -
@RiotBananas said:
" @HandsomeDead said:
" These postal strikes are really getting me concerned about my Modern Warfare 2 pre-order. "
Depending on where you ordered it you should be fine, Most large retailers are upgrading to couriers (Many more may follow if the Royal Mail keep this up)  GAME and Amazon are both using Parcel Force I think... "
I ordered with Play.com who are usually OK but I pre-ordered Episodes From Liberty City and that only arrived today. Do you think i'd be better off switching to Amazon?
#50 Posted by dagas (2901 posts) -

I live in Sweden and I've got Dragon Age pre-ordered from play.com. Does this mean I won't get my game? Guess I could pay €7 more and get it in Sweden, and without the pre-order bonus...however I would get it faster since it takes a week to ship from the UK.