#1 Posted by latros (81 posts) -

One of the most prominent things (to my knowledge) that being a subscriber of this network gives is access to watching the "Happy Hour"...  

And I was just curious, what exactly is that? 

And what are some other major benefits to subscribing? 

I appreciate any info people might be able to give :)

#2 Posted by natetodamax (19229 posts) -

You watch the staff of all Whiskey Media sites do weird stuff and get drunk.

#3 Posted by KaosAngel (13764 posts) -

I paid for the HD videos, HTML5 support, and the mobile site. 

I shit you not, I have not watched a single Happy Hour yet and I gave no plans to.  

#4 Posted by latros (81 posts) -
@natetodamax said:
" You watch the staff of all Whiskey Media sites do weird stuff and get drunk. "
I'm not a drinker and quite frankly find it annoying in most social situations for people to get drunk, so I doubt I'd watch the Happy Hour's if thats what its about -_-
#5 Posted by Pessh (2459 posts) -
Here's a free episode

So yeah, GB guys getting pissed, and the other sites trying to provide actual content in the 2 minutes they're given.
#6 Posted by Flaime (528 posts) -

Did you see the Big Live Live Show Live? It's kinda like that, but each site only has one segment.

#7 Posted by eezo (288 posts) -
@latros said:
" @natetodamax said:
" You watch the staff of all Whiskey Media sites do weird stuff and get drunk. "
I'm not a drinker and quite frankly find it annoying in most social situations for people to get drunk, so I doubt I'd watch the Happy Hour's if thats what its about -_- "
it's actually really funny if you like the staff... 

note: For some reason i can't pay anymore lol, get a 500 - server error
#8 Posted by Vorbis (2752 posts) -

Booze isn't mentioned, it's just a relaxed hour where each site does what they want in their own segment. GB tends to play games that don't normally get Quicklooks, screened shows trailers, comicvine talks comics, tested... I don't think even they know what they are doing.

#9 Posted by SuperSambo (2894 posts) -
@KaosAngel
I paid for the HD videos, HTML5 support, and the mobile site. 

I shit you not, I have not watched a single Happy Hour yet and I gave no plans to.  
There are worse ways to spend a free hour. I laugh at every single one.

To answer the tc, the happy hour is all of the WM crew drinking and talking about things happening in their respective fields. It is worth it just for the Tested segments!

Apart from that you get the mobile site (which I am using to type this), hd videos and that's pretty much all I use, but I'm sure there is some other stuff like html5 support (what the hell is that?) that I wouldn't ever use/notice.
#10 Posted by Brendan (8280 posts) -

The Happy Hour has some funny segments, and you usually get to watch the guys from Tested do something zany.  The show isn't just some mess of alchohol where everyone gets piss drunk and is incoherent, but it's a mish-mash live show and is therefore not like an edited and polished production.  I personally enjoy them.   
#11 Posted by MaFoLu (1859 posts) -

Other benefits of subscribing includes the Theater mode when watching videos. 
This reminds me, I've really got to subscribe soon...

#12 Posted by Alphiehyr (1083 posts) -

You know, I was going to sign up for a yearly subscription but the mod didn't reply to my question.

#13 Posted by B0nd07 (1703 posts) -
@latros said:

" @natetodamax said:

I'm not a drinker and quite frankly find it annoying in most social situations for people to get drunk, so I doubt I'd watch the Happy Hour's if thats what its about -_- "
Yes, a few of them are often seen with booze of some sort, but that's not entirely true.  It's more like the Big Live Live Show condensed into one hour with one segment  per brand.  Screened and Comic Vine usually go over recent news and releases, Giant Bomb does something akin to a Quick Look, and Tested does something (usually stupid) with a new gadget.  They are each different in their own way, but you can see what one is like with one of the free ones they did.
#14 Posted by OldManLight (915 posts) -

i paid because all of their sites are awesome, the editors know their stuff, and know how to consistently put out stuff that makes me laugh and interests me.   To me that is worthy of supporting them so they don't have to plaster ads all over sites that i love to visit.

#15 Posted by RE_Player1 (7530 posts) -
@OldManLight said:
" i paid because all of their sites are awesome, the editors know their stuff, and know how to consistently put out stuff that makes me laugh and interests me.   To me that is worthy of supporting them so they don't have to plaster ads all over sites that i love to visit. "
Pretty much the reason I subscribed Day 1. Also the t-shirt is a cool bonus. 
#16 Posted by Chris2KLee (2339 posts) -

It's the PBS of madness, so they have my support. Love the Happy Hour, and I am not a drinker. Realistically, while they often drink on the show, the only time someone actually got shit faced was when Norm and Will from Tested tried to see if drinking a lot would help them use the Jedi Mind Trainer they bought. That was pretty awesome.

#17 Posted by Sweep (9025 posts) -
@Alphiehyr said:
" You know, I was going to sign up for a yearly subscription but the mod didn't reply to my question. "
What was the question? The mods are super busy managing the wiki and stuff, it's understandable if they sometimes get overwhelmed :D 

@latros: I paid for HD videos, happy hour, and just generally because I spend so much time here I wanted to give something back. I also got a sweet Whiskey Media t-shirt. 

And for the record, there is a difference between "drinking a beer" and "getting drunk". The Happy Hour is completely harmless.
#18 Posted by FLStyle (4987 posts) -

I'm a member mainly to download their videos to my HDD, added bonus that they're in HD standard.

I'm love the Happy Hour too though.

#19 Posted by Chippy180 (163 posts) -

Why join the WM family, you ask? To see Cool Baby's origin story, of course!!!

#20 Posted by kidman (477 posts) -
@latros: Giving Jeff money for new Game Room QL isn't a good enough reason to subscribe? Come on.
#21 Posted by MattyFTM (14440 posts) -
@latros:  The happy hour is an hour long live show broadcast at 4pm pacific time every Friday. It also gets archived in the video section if you can't watch it live. It's essentially like the Big Live Live Show Live, but shorter. Each of the whiskey media websites have a segment to do stuff. Giant Bomb usually play a game that doesn't necessarily get Quick Look coverage, Comic Vine talk about the latest developments in the comic world, Screened watch trailers for & talk about the latest movies (and show cute video's of puppies), and Tested usually do something with a weird piece of technology. There are two free episodes available here and here if you want to check it out before you subscribe. They are usually drinking, but that's not the focus. They're just having a few beers because it's the last thing they're doing on a friday. 

You also HD video's, video downloads, the HTML5 video theatre mode, the mobile site, no adverts, a t-shirt (if you opt for the yearly subscription), and a fuzzy warm feeling knowing you've supported a fantastic website.

@Alphiehyr said:
" You know, I was going to sign up for a yearly subscription but the mod didn't reply to my question. "

How did you get in touch with us? If you posted on the forums, it's incredibly easy for us to miss things. We can't read every forum post that gets posted on the forums. If you need to get in touch with us, use the "PM mods" link near the top of the Giant Bomb FAQ thread, and someone should get back to you.