#2 Posted by BeachThunder (11959 posts) -

Poor Psygnosis ='(

#3 Posted by Kerned (1170 posts) -

Twenty!!!

#4 Posted by gaminghooligan (1447 posts) -

wow twenty!?!?! Poor 38 studios, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning was a pretty good game :(

#5 Edited by BaconGames (3424 posts) -

Just to be clear, how these developers went away is not the same for each one. Some were sold or folded into bigger companies, others went down like a ball of fire but still, going away doesn't mean everyone was fired. A lot of them were though *pours one out*.

#6 Posted by Demoskinos (14851 posts) -

The 38 Studios thing was so goddamn ugly. I can't even imagine being in the middle of that. Curt Schilling is pretty much broke now which is kind of crazy. Dude invested all of his baseball money into this company. Lot of jobs lost... Rhode Island taxpayers left on the hook just christ man... that entire thing was SUCH a mess.

#7 Posted by ManMadeGod (1561 posts) -
#8 Posted by Captain_Felafel (1573 posts) -

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu...

#9 Posted by Clonedzero (4200 posts) -

some of those weren't actual closings, they were just closing the branch and moving everything somewhere else. im pretty sure thats the case with that rockstar branch.

#10 Edited by Snail (8606 posts) -

Hudson Soft, that's hard to believe. I want good new Mario Party games again.

@ManMadeGod said:

Big Huge Games is still alive. I cried when they first went under with 38 Studios.

Sure, making an Infinity Blade game for the iPad. "Alive"? How many people from Big Huge Games even work there? I guess there's always hope they start making Rise of Nations games again though. Don't really expect Epic to decide to publish an RTS anytime soon though.

#11 Posted by OllyOxenFree (4973 posts) -
#12 Posted by Slaegar (713 posts) -

I wonder how much of this was caused by this generation going on for so long.

#13 Posted by Winternet (8019 posts) -

Well, I dunno guys, the year isn't over so let's probably wait for Jan 1 2013 to see if it's really 20 devs lost on 2012.

@OllyOxenFree: Jesus Fuck dude! Way to make everyone sad.

#14 Posted by JudgeDread (572 posts) -

some companies die every year

mostly due to mismanagement or not being able to keep up with the competition

nothing to see, keep moving

#15 Posted by kafu288 (15 posts) -

It says in the IGN article that they stopped counting somewhere in the mid 20's but they also report that they counted at least 35 more instances of small studio closures/significant layoffs. Its been a rough year

#16 Posted by _Zombie_ (1462 posts) -

Holy sheet.

#17 Posted by Rattle618 (1463 posts) -

Fudge.

#18 Posted by JoeyRavn (4974 posts) -

@gaminghooligan said:

wow twenty!?!?! Poor 38 studios, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning was a pretty good game :(

I feel the exact opposite: Amalur was a terrible game that got bogged down on its own promises of grandeur, and 38 Studios' demise came from an extremely poor management of the company. It's a lot different from the case of, say, Psygnosis, which was closed by its parent company (Sony) after almost 30 years on the industry. It sucks for the people who lost their jobs, especially under such shitty conditions (mortgages and bank loans and stuff), but as a whole, I don't feel pity for 38 Studios.

I'm glad that most of the ex-Big Huge Game employees got picked up by other developers, though.

#19 Posted by Cold_Wolven (2220 posts) -

So long Zipper, unfortunately SOCOM was your making and your undoing especially with the god awful timing of SOCOM 4's release when the PSN was down. Also Big Huge Games that made such a great game with a rich universe that got squandered by petty real life politics.

#20 Posted by Hippie_Genocide (580 posts) -

Man, I loved Zipper back in the PS2 days. Socom II is still one of my best gaming memories...so much fun with a consistent group of people that I played with. Sadly, I don't think they've put out anything good since Socom II. Does Sony not realize how well that game would do if they put it out in HD on PSN? Certain aspects of it would seem archaic compared to modern online shooters but I think longtime Playstation fans would appreciate it. I miss having an actual server browser and game companies not treating their customers like they're complete fucking idiots.

#21 Edited by Bollard (5568 posts) -

No more "By Hudason!" in a crazy Japanese voice? :(

Weird, we have threads on the forums about Hudson being absorbed way before that article claims they were. A year and 10 months ago, definitely not in 2012.

#22 Edited by falling_fast (2225 posts) -

I think Rockstar Vancouver relocated to Oakville, Ontario, actually.

lower cost of living and better tax credits in Quebec and Ontario being the reason

#23 Posted by sungahymn (1012 posts) -

Hudson Soft, I will always remember your logo.

#24 Posted by JudgeDread (572 posts) -

I bet that this year more studios were born than ever before

how about someone writes an article about that instead of pandering for the used games lobby (as IGN usually does)

#25 Posted by Zippedbinders (997 posts) -

Yeah, listing Rockstar Vancouver is misleading, since they moved offices to another part of Canada. I'm pretty sure everyone was able to keep their job if they moved.

#26 Posted by BaconGames (3424 posts) -

@Chavtheworld said:

No more "By Hudason!" in a crazy Japanese voice? :(

Weird, we have threads on the forums about Hudson being absorbed way before that article claims they were. A year and 10 months ago, definitely not in 2012.

Yeah that's what I thought too.

#27 Posted by Little_Socrates (5677 posts) -

@JudgeDread: A lot of major studios closed down, probably a thousand people lost jobs, and you're whining that somebody's politicizing this? Nobody mentioned used game sales before you did. Basically, fucking chill.

I'm really gonna miss Hudson Soft, although we apparently lost them a while ago. They obviously made their own bed on this one, releasing several middling games over the last decade, but it's a name that's meant something to me since my childhood.