Predict the Staff's 2015 Top Ten's with my API Web App

Questengine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Inspired by this thread: Game of the Year Spreadsheets. I made a simple web page where we can select and predict the Top Ten's for each Giant Bomb staff member. You select an editor from the drop down, then drag a 2015 game from the master list on the left to that person's top ten list on the right. Inside the top ten list you can drag games up and down to reorder them. I'm saving all these picks to a database, so after the real top ten's are made public, we can compare our predictions to the real thing. It's kind of like filling out a NCAA final four bracket, but nerdier.

Here's a few hints: Make sure Undertale is on Austin's list, Splatoon on Alex and Dan's lists, and Mario Maker is probably very high on Jeff's list. Also, Rocket League is the best game of the year. I'll hear no discussion otherwise.

If you want to save your list and work on it again later, you'll need to get a username and a secret code. It's just so I can give you access to your list, and keep everyone else out. There's more instructions on the page, but you can probably figure it out. YOU WILL NOT PUT YOUR GIANTBOMB.COM PASSWORD INTO THIS OTHER SITE. You claim a username and it will give you a 3-digit number that will act as your secret code or password to log back into the site later.

Below is a very poor quality ms paint image with a few more instructions. I hope you'll try it out. If enough folks submit picks, I'll build some cool way to compare and score all the entries.

Finally, here's the site:GiantBomb 2015 Game of the Year Predictions

exogen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is neat

Questengine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Questengine

Warning, kind of a bug: The site actually saves your top ten selection per editor every time you switch editors. So you never have to hit a save button. However, if you fill out your last editor, then leave the page without switching to another person, the last top ten you set won't save. This won't be an issue for most folks because it's probably natural to look back through the list once you're done to double check everything. But if you should make a change to a top ten and then not change the drop down, your last change won't be saved. So to be sure, switch people one last time before you leave the page to make sure you get everything saved.

jasonwwilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The game list needs Kerbal Space Program

Questengine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Added Kerbal

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By hassun

Those arrows are pretttty good.

elvicerator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

This is pretty cool!

The Beginner's Guide and Yakuza 5 could both make a top 10 list this year, I think those games should be added.

Questengine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hassun said:

Those arrows are pretttty good.

Programmer art is the BEST art!

elvicerator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Dan's pretty predictable, I think I'll do well with these guesses:

You might be able to swap SMM and MGSV, the rest is solid.
You might be able to swap SMM and MGSV, the rest is solid.

Cav829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

I noticed Cibele isn't there and that might get a little love from the crew. Also, Under Night In-Birth EXE: Late could make Jason's list in theory. I also just wanted to make you type that into the list.

Questengine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Results Page (Rough Draft)

Here's a sample of the results page. You can go ahead and compare your results with another person if you know the username they used when they made their picks.

No Caption Provided

Results: Questengine vs CaptainObvious

The above image, and link are to a results page comparing my login Questengine (but those aren't all my real picks just yet, I'm still working on it), to a fake login CaptainObvious where I just use the same 10 obvious choice games for each editor. In the center column, you see the "official" giant bomb staff picks. These aren't accurate of course as these top tens aren't public yet, but I put in some picks just to make things work.

So the outside columns are the picks of 2 users and the center column will be the actual Giant Bomb picks. You can change the users in question by putting their name in the url parameters. I.E. in the address bar where you see

http://www.questengine.com/giantbomb/goty/results.html?u1=Questengine&u2=CaptainObvious

You can use any username that's made picks on the page in place of "Questengine" or "CaptainObvious"

If URL parameter are scary for you, don't worry, on the final version I'll have some better way to select usernames.

Points are awarded, 3pts for picking the right game in the right place and 1pt for picking a correct game, but getting it out of order. Green highlights are for full, 3pt matches and orange are for partial, 1pt matches.

VoshiNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

This is a great idea and thank you for doin' it!

ames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm almost sure Brad will pick the Taken King in his GOTY stuff, but its not in the list ;-;

Questengine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll add Taken King tonight.

Be aware everyone. I'll take down the submissions page on dec 26 or 27 to make sure it's down before the real goty stuff starts going up on dec 28. Get all your picks done this week.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

well that was fun. there sure was a ton of great games this year. I know my lists are totally wrong, but oh well.

Questengine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It looks like Taken King is just an expansion still and not a standalone title. It doesn't have a unique id in the giantbomb database and I'm going to argue, shouldn't be a candidate for GotY2015. Also, I'm kind of sick of Destiny and Bungie and Activision, so I'm not adding if after all.

Voting is open for 3 more days or so.

Questengine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Questengine

Submissions page is down. Only the results pages remain.

Final Rankings

If you have a score of 0 on the final ranking page and you don't think that's right, then click your name so the full results page will be generated and your score will be calculated and saved. Then return to the Final Ranking page listed above, refresh it, and see your final standing.

A few notes: Despite our planning I still missed adding a few games, including DiRT Rally, RONIN and a couple on Austin's list. I added these to the database so they'll show up right on the final lists, but they weren't available to pick when making your prediction lists, so no one will have then selected correctly.

Currently the leader is "OneManArmy" but several scores haven't been calculated yet, so that's subject to change.