Predictions: What games will GB be discussing for GOTY?

Westrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Every year I look forward to the Giant Bomb end of the year GOTY podcasts and every year I kick myself for not playing half the games and thus having no opinion. This year is going to be different; What games do you think will be in discussion for GOTY top 10 lists this year?

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

GTA V, Bioshock infinite , Saints row IV , Brothers , Dota 2 , Gone home, The last of us (Hopefully) ,Animal Crossing: New Leaf , I know it is only 8 games but i suspect they will talk about Watchdogs

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#3  Edited By emfromthesea

If Need for Speed: Rivals turns out to be a better version of Hot Pursuit, it could appear in the discussion. @jimmyfenix named all the others I would hazard a guess to.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By csl316

@jimmyfenix: Solid list. I'm guessing dmc will make Brad's top 10, and (hopefully) a next-gen launch exclusive in the overall top.

I don't care about Assassin's Creed, but maybe that'll crack the top ten?

Oh, and Rocksmith for Vinny.

I also hope the new Mario warrants consideration.

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

If we're talking the top 10, I can think of these, based on the podcast etc.:

Bioshock Infinite

GTA V

Gone Home (Patrick loved it, Jeff tweeted he liked it, but don't know how many of the others played it...it'll be discussed at least)

Brothers (Brad!)

Dota 2 (Brad!)

Spelunky

Rayman Legends (it will at least probably be mentioned)

SaintS Row IV

Papers Please

The Last of Us (only Drew and Vinny has finished it of the SF crew, and they didn't love it, but apart from Jeff I'm guessing the rest will play it before the GOTY podcast)

Any released games I've forgotten about?

Not gonna speculate too much about yet to be released games.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#6  Edited By BeachThunder

I hope Patrick at least puts a word in for Zeno Clash II, he definitely seemed to like it.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

GTA V, Bioshock infinite , Saints row IV , Brothers , Dota 2 , Gone home, The last of us (Hopefully) ,Animal Crossing: New Leaf , I know it is only 8 games but i suspect they will talk about Watchdogs

id say id prematurely add watch dogs to that list (cause jeff was super hot on it at e3 and id say if that game holds together it could be a solid contender), and ill prematurely add mario 3d world

but other than that id say you nailed it on what games are going to be the big talking points.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

I hope Patrick at least puts a word in for Fire Emblem: Awakening, he definitely seemed to like it.

Yes.

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amyggen: Papers please slipped my mind. Such a good game.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

I'd say everything listed so far is on the money, but also add Tomb Raider.

candies.aniwey.net wins best URL

Optix12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

another premature contender to add is tearaway as that got a lot of great press from the guys out of e3. If there is a handheld game award (i cant remember if there is) it will be hotly contested.

divekick? I guess they mention it but can use an easy out to not have it in the top 10 for it being a web based game you download

LackingSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Walking Dead Game: Season 2

sub_o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Brad : Brothers

Jeff : Hatsune Miku Diva F

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@beachthunder said:

I hope Patrick at least puts a word in for Fire Emblem: Awakening, he definitely seemed to like it.

Yes.

He'll do both, no need to steal his comment D:

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

@animasta said:

@video_game_king said:

@beachthunder said:

Yes.

I've never before seen more beautiful words put to paper, and doubt I ever will. ^▽^

Indeed.

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

The Swapper was pretty damn good. But no one played it. It's worth playing. The ending is more or less predictable but still pretty good.

mclargepants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By mclargepants

Let's see. Okay, from games that aren't out yet, Jeff seems to be very excited for Watch_Dogs and Need for Speed, so either of those wouldn't surprise me.

Other than that, I'm expecting these to be top 5 possibilities: Saints Row 4, GTA V, Gunpoint, Rogue Legacy, The Last of Us (Patrick is planning on being there for GOTY talks, he'll bring it up), Brothers (which I hope they shut down, because I really don't see it).

Ones I'm much less sure of: DMC, Tomb Raider, Gone Home, Papers Please, I'm probably forgetting a few.

And somewhere in between those two groups is Bioshock.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@westrunner: Why aren't you TERRIFIED of Game of the Year? Terrified, I say!

@tourgen said:

The Swapper was pretty damn good. But no one played it. It's worth playing. The ending is more or less predictable but still pretty good.

Yeah, I really hope people actually remember that Antichamber and The Swapper came out this year. They're both really cool!

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think Assassin's Creed IV and Dead Rising 3 could make it.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#21  Edited By GERALTITUDE

Maybe because this is the year of swan songs and transitions but it just feels weird. Seems to be very little consensus about most things. Wonder how Watch D and the rest of the next-gen stuff fares

NMC2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I dunno, I feel like GOTY doesn't count now that Ryan is gone, sorry boys. *shrugs*

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#23  Edited By JasonR86

For the top spot? GTA 5, Last of Us, and Bioshock Infinite. Maybe Watch Dogs but probably not.

ShadowSkill11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ShadowSkill11

The Last of Us, Gone home, GTA5, StarCraft 2 HotS, Bioshock Infinite, Tomb Raider, Ni No Kuni, DoTA 2

Scrawnto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Scrawnto

Do you guys think they'll fly someone in for the deliberations, or will Drew get a seat? Will Dave get to write in a secret pick?

Tesla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I'll bet The Last of Us and Ni No Kuni will receive less props than they deserve.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pretty sure we'll hear about Bioshock, The Last of Us, Gone Home and GTAV for sure. Maybe Saints row 4 and watch dogs too. I really just hope Patrick is able to be there to sing the praises of Fire Emblem Awakening.

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I believe Last of Us, Gone Home, Saints Rows 4, Brothers, DMC and Papers Please are going to be mentioned by some members of the cast, but I don't think they will be contenders.

This year, I believe the award match will be between Bioshock Infinite and GTA 5.

wallee321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I discovered Giantbomb last fall, though the podcast. I really enjoyed last years goty discussions, it was the best handle way I've seen any gaming website do it.

Do you know or think they will bring Patrick and Alex in for the discussions? I think, I remember, Alex being in one of discussions, but I'm not sure. I know the whole reason for the two different pod-casts, is because one of the SF crew (Jeff?) doesn't like the awkward pauses and lack of synergy from not being together in real life.

Anyways, most of the games listed above seem like they will be talked about, but I don't see Last of Us getting more of a token nod. It was a big Sony exclusive from Naughty Dog so they will have to at least mention it, but I see it getting tossed aside pretty quickly.

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So what's the chances of Arkham Origins being a contender? It looks like Akrham City, but that could be a good thing or a bad thing depending on who you ask.

RainDog505

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#31  Edited By RainDog505

Unless Watch_Dogs turns out to be even better than the GB crew hope/predict; 2013's Game of the Year will likely be a two horse race between Bioshock Infinite and GTA V. I see Bioshock taking it.

Gone Home will sweep up the story category for sure. And FC3: Blood Dragon for the Ryan T Davis Memorial Award

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If I had to predict what game would end up taking it, barring some big surprise from the games coming up, I'd have to say Bioshock: Infinite. In much the same way X-COM was basically the compromise "we can all agree on this one, at least, right?" pick, I figure they will eventually sidestep a lot of the more controversial and specific games that only one or two of them have completed, and make a feel-good choice.

I'd enjoy a knock-down drag-out category in general, though, but I kind of doubt we'll ever get another Minerva's Den vs. Shadow Broker style of showdown again.

People who think The Last of Us will come anywhere near the top three are deluding themselves, though. Brad and Jeff really want nothing to do with that game.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#33  Edited By Hailinel

@marokai said:

If I had to predict what game would end up taking it, barring some big surprise from the games coming up, I'd have to say Bioshock: Infinite. In much the same way X-COM was basically the compromise "we can all agree on this one, at least, right?" pick, I figure they will eventually sidestep a lot of the more controversial and specific games that only one or two of them have completed, and make a feel-good choice.

I'd enjoy a knock-down drag-out category in general, though, but I kind of doubt we'll ever get another Minerva's Den vs. Shadow Broker style of showdown again.

People who think The Last of Us will come anywhere near the top three are deluding themselves, though. Brad and Jeff really want nothing to do with that game.

All it would take would be one of them. Jeff's steadfast refusal to acknowledge, well, anything good about Red Dead Redemption pretty much killed that game's chances in the awards.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#34  Edited By ArbitraryWater

I predict they will talk about Gone Home or Brothers and I will roll my eyes at some point. Also GTA V, Rayman Legends and Bioshock will probably be there. Not super sure about the rest. I don't see The Last of Us getting much love by anyone other than Patrick (I see Patrick bringing up a lot of games that no one else is going to vouch for), but I could see something like Rogue Legacy getting a higher position on the list than originally planned.

As for the games that are coming out soon, possibly Watch_Dogs if that's good, Super Mario 3D World will be the only Wii U game to get much mention (sorry Pikmin), Assassin's Creed IV will have to be pretty mindblowing to get more than dismissive shrugs. But who knows? Personally, I'm more interested in seeing how exactly they plan to top last year's videos.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

As for the games that are coming out soon, possibly Watch_Dogs if that's good, Super Mario 3D World will be the only Wii U game to get much mention (sorry Pikmin), Assassin's Creed IV will have to be pretty mindblowing to get more than dismissive shrugs. But who knows? Personally, I'm more interested in seeing how exactly they plan to top last year's videos.

The Wonderful 101 deserves a spot in the conversation, but of course they won't talk about it because almost none of them have touched it and they have the press mentality of struggling to understand and accept unfamiliar concepts.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

Gunpoint is totally the FTL of this year.

PandaBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#37  Edited By PandaBear

What's with all the GOTY talk on here the past week? Seriously, I think we should at least let November past first....

roboculus92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

all you guys mentioning Brothers are joking right? I feel like only Brad (and maybe Patrick? I can't remember what his feelings on it were) will put it on his list. Generally, any game that's only liked by one of two of them doesn't make it on the list (last year being the crazy exception to this).

tsutohiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By tsutohiro

Way too soon to predict a 2013 Top 10.

"And miles to go before I sleep,

And miles to go before I sleep."

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By emfromthesea

@hailinel said:

@marokai said:

All it would take would be one of them. Jeff's steadfast refusal to acknowledge, well, anything good about Red Dead Redemption pretty much killed that game's chances in the awards.

Yet Red Dead Redemption still took home Best Ending and Best Story. The Last of Us might not get Game of the Year, but I don't discount it from potentially getting some other award.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

As always, a lot of games will be talked about. But, I think several games will be talked about merely to dismiss them. "Yeah, this game came out too...do we want to talk about it? No, well okay."

I just looked at a comprehensive list of what came out and is coming out, and I foresee a lot of games not being talked about. I think Indie games will get far more discussion here at Giant Bomb than many triple-A games too. Remember triple-a is about effort (i.e. how much money, time and effort was put into it), but that hardly means that game will be seen as significant by year's end.

My prediction is Cart Life, Papers Please, and Gone Home will receive far more discussion than other games people have listed in this thread so far.