• 120 results
#51 Posted by Detrian (1126 posts) -

That's just the way it is folks. Fun stuff is now largely behind paywalls and quicklooks are now largely Patrick Klepek.

Can't say I blame them but actually yes I can because this is and always has been the results of failing to monetize the site in a sensible way that doesn't strip quality.

#52 Posted by Bubbly (254 posts) -

If they didn't have subscriptions then this video would probably be 10-20 minutes (at best), if they would've even decided to do it at all. If WM and the Happy Hour still existed then they probably would have talked about it a bit on there (they showed behind the scenes stuff for the SC2 trip), but that was for premium members. Drew very rarely goes on the Bombcast and they don't bring him in even when they are down a dude, so I always doubted he was gonna appear on the Bombcast to talk about the trip. I just got home and started watching, but they seem to be going pretty in-depth with it, and something of this nature (by this I mean depth and length) probably wouldn't exist if it weren't for subscriptions. Those are just my thoughts on it. However, I will say that not all new types of content should be relegated to premium members only. I'd like great content for everybody, but I don't think this video is the one that free members should get as it isn't related to games or the site at all. It is just some awesome behind-the-scenes type of content which I think is perfect as a piece of premium content.

#53 Posted by ThePickle (4182 posts) -

Seems kind of weird to make it Premium only.

#54 Posted by LordAndrew (14426 posts) -

I just want to say this thread is hilarious. Premium member content is serious business.

#55 Posted by Skyrider (351 posts) -

It makes sense to me why this is premium content, as most of the premium content seems to either be behind the scenes tech related stuff, silly stuff with Dave/Drew/Vinny, or stuff on a more personal level with the staff like Jar Time. This is personal silly stuff with Drew that has nothing to do with video games, so it's a perfect fit for premium content.

#56 Posted by the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG (4308 posts) -

This is actually fucking awesome

#57 Posted by RobotHamster (4171 posts) -

@Metal_Gear_Sunny said:

@49th said:

Sad face :(

#58 Posted by Aegon (5627 posts) -

I really wanted to see this :(, but I guess this is the type of stuff you're supposed to rope people in with. One of these days I'll probably hand over 5 bucks and download everything. There isn't a limit to how many videos you can download at a time is there?

#59 Posted by Skyrider (351 posts) -

@H2Oyea said:

I really wanted to see this :(, but I guess this is the type of stuff you're supposed to rope people in with. One of these days I'll probably hand over 5 bucks and download everything. There isn't a limit to how many videos you can download at a time is there?

Not that I know of, but I've only downloaded a handful of videos so take that with a grain of salt.

#60 Posted by Marz (5652 posts) -

premium... that sucks.... i love Drew just as much as the premium members :(    in a plutonic way

#61 Posted by alternate (2704 posts) -

This is the very definition of what they want premium content to be. It is not video game related and really just of interest to fans, so the justification for doing it during the work day is that it is premium content.

#62 Posted by Milkman (16787 posts) -
@ThePickle

How is it weird? It has nothing to do video games. Think of it as just a "Radio Dave" with special guest Drew.
#63 Posted by Talis12 (488 posts) -
Korean Drew
#64 Posted by EuanDewar (4919 posts) -

Fascinating. Completely and utterly fascinating. It's a testament to how crazy NK is that I sat there for two hours and just fucking stared at this mad shit.

#65 Posted by EuanDewar (4919 posts) -

For any non-subs Drew is making a blog post which, considering this whole stream has been 2 hours, that blog should be lengthy.

#66 Posted by laserbolts (5322 posts) -

This was the best piece of content on the site in quite a while. Thanks Drew!

#67 Posted by the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG (4308 posts) -
@sideshow said:
Korean Drew
I had a feeling that someone was gonna do this!   

This was a really awesome stream, I really enjoyed it
#68 Posted by SlightConfuse (3963 posts) -

yep that was amazing and enlightening glad i tuned in

#69 Posted by Pkshields (810 posts) -

That was phenominal. Thanks Drew, I'm kinda interested in looking into those tours now.

#70 Posted by adoggz (2067 posts) -

i cant wait till they post the video. i want to listen that all again.

#71 Posted by Talis12 (488 posts) -

@the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG: how could one resist :D

#72 Posted by Sweep (8859 posts) -

Can't want to get my hands on those photos, I am going to shop the shit out of that mess.

#73 Posted by TheHT (11250 posts) -

@sideshow said:

Korean Drew

Perfect.

#74 Posted by Subject2Change (2966 posts) -

That was really interesting. Was listening while I worked/ate and kept switching to the video tab for some of the photos. Can't wait for them to come up. Please please put those night shots of the city in a high resolution.

#75 Posted by ThePickle (4182 posts) -

@Milkman said:

@ThePickle

How is it weird? It has nothing to do video games. Think of it as just a "Radio Dave" with special guest Drew.

Mailbags have nothing to do with video games either. I didn't see it live, so I have no idea how long it is, but initially it seemed weird.

#76 Posted by 71Ranchero (2766 posts) -

Anyone else think this should all go up on youtube so that everyone else in the world can learn as much as we just did?

#77 Posted by Sauson (561 posts) -

That was the best piece of content GB has done in a while.

Unfortunate that it was subscriber only.

#78 Posted by pweidman (2334 posts) -

@laserbolts said:

This was the best piece of content on the site in quite a while. Thanks Drew!

Totally agreed, fantastic and very refreshingly different and informative content here. So fascinating and illuminating, just as Ryan described it.

Thanks, and kudos to you Drew for sharing all the shots and anecdotes about your experience there.

#79 Posted by Gnorbooth (284 posts) -

Amazing stream, and am nothing but thankful to Drew for taking the time to grace us all with his presence and stories (and photos!). I was fascinated the entire time at everything they went over. Thanks chaps!

#80 Posted by natetodamax (19205 posts) -

Big thanks to Drew for sharing all of that. That seems like a pretty amazing experience.

#81 Posted by Raciend (61 posts) -

Damn, missed it =/

Hope it will find its way to the site quickly, not like "Alexis and Dave talks design"....

#82 Posted by Zabant (1240 posts) -

Yanno the phrase "entitled gamers" gets thrown around alot these days buuuut....

#83 Posted by cutyoface (544 posts) -

It was fascinating.

#84 Posted by natetodamax (19205 posts) -

@Raciend said:

Damn, missed it =/

Hope it will find its way to the site quickly, not like "Alexis and Dave talks design"....

Drew said he'll post a blog with all the pictures but yeah, definitely watch the archive when it goes up.

#85 Posted by Draxyle (1852 posts) -

It's worth throwing down five dollars for the month just to see it, but as a subscriber, I would not mind it being available to everyone. It's a topic much more important than videogames.

It's still worth the five dollars for everything else GB does though.

#86 Posted by Turambar (6784 posts) -
@ThePickle said:

@Milkman said:

@ThePickle

Mailbags have nothing to do with video games either. I didn't see it live, so I have no idea how long it is, but initially it seemed weird.

It lasted for about two hours.  Was already going at 5:30, and finished around 7:20 (Central Time).
#87 Posted by SuperSambo (2865 posts) -

@H2Oyea said:

I really wanted to see this :(, but I guess this is the type of stuff you're supposed to rope people in with. One of these days I'll probably hand over 5 bucks and download everything. There isn't a limit to how many videos you can download at a time is there?

No, but as you said, it is $5.

It is well worth it, there is no reason to have it just for one month.

#88 Posted by Hailinel (24778 posts) -

Ryan has posted on Twitter that the archive is forthcoming. And now that people who know how to work a video compressor are back in the office, it shouldn't take nearly as long to post as the Dave and Alexis video.

#89 Posted by Fattony12000 (7410 posts) -
#90 Posted by RockinKemosabe (619 posts) -

I'd honestly be fine if they threw up the archive as not a premium video. Seeing it live was the premium but I think everybody should watch this. It's unbelievably fascinating.

#91 Posted by HerbieBug (4212 posts) -

@sideshow said:

Korean Drew

>______________________________________________________________________<

looking forward to the archive.

#92 Posted by kalibr (120 posts) -

ugh I had to work when this was going on. Hope they put it up soon

#93 Posted by Hockeymask27 (3683 posts) -

This is the first time I've been bummed out about premium content. oh well.

#94 Posted by Viking_Funeral (1786 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

Ryan has posted on Twitter that the archive is forthcoming. And now that people who know how to work a video compressor are back in the office, it shouldn't take nearly as long to post as the Dave and Alexis video.

I was just about to ask if that ever went up, but then I realized that I could check myself. It went up yesterday? What was that, 2 weeks?

#95 Posted by Ben_H (3357 posts) -
@Paul_Is_Drunk said:

@Hailinel said:

I was just about to ask if that ever went up, but then I realized that I could check myself. It went up yesterday? What was that, 2 weeks?

Yeah roughly 2 weeks. But Vinny had to fix a ton of issues with the sound as it was apparently really out of sync at various points in the video, and there's only so much Vinny to go around so it took a while to do.
#96 Posted by Viking_Funeral (1786 posts) -

@Ben_H said:

@Paul_Is_Drunk said:

@Hailinel said:

Yeah roughly 2 weeks. But Vinny had to fix a ton of issues with the sound as it was apparently really out of sync at various points in the video, and there's only so much Vinny to go around so it took a while to do.

No, hey... props to Vinny for doing the work. I'm not complaining, merely remarking on the time.

#97 Posted by Dtat (1623 posts) -

I think this should be free for everyone. It's a great look into something that's important beyond the world of video games.

#98 Posted by wumbo3000 (970 posts) -

Not gonna lie: this was probably my favorite piece of subscriber content of all time. Probably has something to do with the fact that I'm Korean American. That's South Korea mind you.

#99 Posted by selbie (1903 posts) -

@HerbieBug said:

@sideshow said:

Korean Drew

>______________________________________________________________________<

looking forward to the archive.

#100 Posted by Encephalon (1262 posts) -

Like Ryan, I was expecting something vaguely sinister, but what I got was way more interesting than that. Hats off to Drew, and for GB for producing some great video content.