• 132 results
#1 Posted by ABritishNerd (318 posts) -

There's Streaming, Progressive, HTML5, and YouTube. I've just been sticking to YouTube for now because it's what I already know but I'm willing to change if there are specific advantages I'm unaware of.

So how do you watch?

Thanks

#2 Edited by Animasta (14669 posts) -

sitting in my armchair, glass of fine wine in hand

(also progressive low because I don't care about video quality that much unless it's a PC game with small text)

#3 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19325 posts) -

Progressive, high quality. Internet's not good enough for HD and streaming can sometimes give me trouble. I like HTML5, but it doesn't indicate how much time a video actually lasts.

#4 Posted by FLStyle (4659 posts) -

I download to my HDD, VLC Media Player is my friend.

#5 Posted by JoeyRavn (4964 posts) -

I used HTML5 on Chrome for the longest time, but recently it began to randomly stop the video for no apparent reason, especially after having paused it. I had to reload the page, start playing the video again and fastforward to the point I had left it. It was as if the rendered had crashed, pretty weird.

I'm using Progressive now and it works fine. I don't usually skip portions of a video, so scrubbing is not essential for me. I always get the feeling that videos on YouTube lose some quality, even if they are at 720p. It maybe some personal bias, though.

#6 Posted by bchampnd (108 posts) -

When watching on my PC, I use HTML5. I'm not really sure of the pro's and con's of the different options.

I actually watch most longer videos via Roku box on my TV and the box determines what quality to use based on connection speed.

#7 Posted by csl316 (8413 posts) -

I used to go HD streaming, but since the newest player kept freezing on me I just got used to Youtube. And I download premium videos. Maybe the player's been improved but I still tend to avoid it like a jerk.

#8 Posted by Labman (288 posts) -

I've only just recently become a premium member, and have been fiddling around with HTML5 on low quality. I'm not really sure that it's any better (or worse) than progressive or streaming though. I have a pretty lousy internet connection so I usually let the video load for a while before playing it anyway.

#9 Edited by ABritishNerd (318 posts) -

@FLStyle said:

I download to my HDD, VLC Media Player is my friend.

I tend to do that for longer things like TNT (although I'm an MPlayerX guy) but I don't have a big enough HDD to store all the quick looks for when I finally decide to watch them.

@JoeyRavn said:

I'm using Progressive now and it works fine. I don't usually skip portions of a video, so scrubbing is not essential for me. I always get the feeling that videos on YouTube lose some quality, even if they are at 720p. It maybe some personal bias, though.

I might try that then. I don't usually skip around either and I'm all for higher video quality.

@Labman said:

I've only just recently become a premium member, and have been fiddling around with HTML5 on low quality. I'm not really sure that it's any better (or worse) than progressive or streaming though. I have a pretty lousy internet connection so I usually let the video load for a while before playing it anyway.

Ah, fair enough. I'm quite lucky in the connection department. I usually get about 60 down and 25 up.

#10 Posted by hussatron (189 posts) -

Youtube if it's available, HTML5 if not.

#11 Posted by TepidShark (1059 posts) -

I download them & then copy and watch them on my PS3. (I know there is a PS3 Media Streamer for Mac, but I tried it and it caused videos to pause every minute or so)

#12 Edited by Milkman (16637 posts) -

I used to do HD streaming but for some reason, that hasn't worked well at all the last few months so instead I've been using HD progressive.

#13 Posted by ABritishNerd (318 posts) -

@TepidShark: You should try Rivet. Development of it has stopped now, so it's free. It still works great in my experience.

#14 Posted by M_Shini (551 posts) -

HTML5 has recently been giving me problems where the video stops suddenly while the audio keeps going, so now im using the HQ Progressive player.

Ussaly i watch it for as long as im eating lunch or dinner ect or if im on a quick break from whatever im doing, unless im playing something like Eve then i watch it while that goes on since there isn't too much concentration that needs to be going on.

#15 Posted by TeflonBilly (4713 posts) -

HTML5 HD streaming.

I'm also one of those terrible people who have my PC hooked up to my big-ass TV in the living room so I get to enjoy the lads in all their full screen high resolution glory.

#16 Posted by Zecks23 (153 posts) -

Progressive and HD, unless I'm looking for a specific portion and then I use streaming and High Quality. Internet not quite good enough for HD streaming

#17 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

Through iTunes.

I subscribe to the RSS and stream it to my TV. It is glorious.

#18 Posted by JJOR64 (18955 posts) -

Progressive and HD.

#19 Posted by Morningstar (2150 posts) -

I download them to my computer in HD quality, and I watch them at my leasuire.

#20 Posted by JZ (2125 posts) -

On the ipad app 100% of the time

#21 Posted by jeffrud (382 posts) -

I use the kickass Roku app. Seriously, that little guy is some of the best money I've spent in years.

#22 Posted by Phatmac (5725 posts) -

Streaming and HD.

#23 Posted by ABritishNerd (318 posts) -

@JZ: iPad app?!

#24 Posted by HarlechQuinn (447 posts) -

Download, watch them on the TV and archive (ca. 340 GB) them.

#25 Posted by billyhoush (1192 posts) -

HTML5 High on laptop and HD on desktop

#26 Posted by vikingdeath1 (953 posts) -

Started using HTML5 in the past few months and Lovin it! whenever I put my computer to sleep and come back to videos I was in the middle of all my youtube flashplayer vidos have lost their progress, but never my good ol' HTML5 ones!

#27 Posted by LiquidPrince (15907 posts) -

Usually progressive HD. Or Youtube HD when the GB video player refuses to load.

#28 Edited by I_Stay_Puft (3186 posts) -

Roku Player! On the flat screen tv.

#29 Posted by Labman (288 posts) -

@ABritishNerd said:

Ah, fair enough. I'm quite lucky in the connection department. I usually get about 60 down and 25 up.

Sure...just go ahead and make me hate you. Why not? :D

#30 Posted by PillClinton (3291 posts) -

Roku app mainly, HTML5 in Chrome if watching on the site.

#31 Edited by Abendlaender (2783 posts) -

Progressive and HD

#32 Posted by NickLott (793 posts) -

HTML5 chrome, low, full screen windowed (as opposed to stantard full screen) so I have it on the side of my monitor while I'm working.

#33 Posted by mithhunter55 (599 posts) -

@ABritishNerd: Lately due tot he lack of anti aliasing on the full-screening of videos. I have been clicking download and then copying the link to download the high quality. Opening it in VLC.

#34 Posted by Stete (730 posts) -

I usually stream them in HD unless they are over an hour and a half long. If that's the case then I download them in order to avoid any server hiccups.

#35 Edited by ABritishNerd (318 posts) -

@Labman said:

@ABritishNerd said:

Sure...just go ahead and make me hate you. Why not? :D

I'll try my best :P

@mithhunter55: How do you do that? Is it "Open Network"?

#36 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11618 posts) -

Progressive, high quality. It's not uncommon for me to pause a video and do something else for a bit.

#37 Posted by phrosen (144 posts) -

Quicklooks and shorter videos I watch through Youtube. Things like TNT or premium content I download the high qualitity video and stream it to my TV.

#38 Posted by Demoskinos (14751 posts) -

HTML5 on HD Its the only way to go IMO!

#39 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4337 posts) -

HD HTML5 is the right answer.

#40 Posted by Nux (2330 posts) -

HD, Streaming, and fullscreen.

#41 Posted by AlexW00d (6234 posts) -

HD HTML5 cause no other option actually works for me.

#42 Posted by ToxicFruit (1717 posts) -

HTML5 keeps bugging out so i use Progressive, most of the time on low

#43 Posted by canucks23 (1087 posts) -

Used to use HD Streaming, but ever since they changed the video player the HD has looked like total crap. Now i use HTML5 HD and it looks a lot better.

#44 Posted by ReCkLeSs_X (460 posts) -

I've had connection issues in my dorm so I usually just download the HD versions to watch at my leisure, but I've used 1080p Youtube probably more than anything, but HTML5 HD is a close second.

#45 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3050 posts) -

Streaming and low or high quality, embiggened.

#46 Posted by Nightriff (4988 posts) -

@ABritishNerd: I used to use HTML5 but if you have to pause the video, for me at least, you then have to reload the video entirely and skip to where you were, got annoying. If my internet speed is fast enough, at work, I download in HD and watch that way. If I'm at home I do Progressive and High resolution, that seems to work best for my situation.

#47 Posted by EquitasInvictus (2025 posts) -

HTML5 I vary between high and HD depending on what game it is and the quality.

#48 Posted by TepidShark (1059 posts) -

@ABritishNerd said:

@TepidShark: You should try Rivet. Development of it has stopped now, so it's free. It still works great in my experience.

I will give it a shot. I will let you know if it works for me.

#49 Posted by darkdragonmage99 (740 posts) -

HTML5 I like that player

#50 Posted by mikey87144 (1728 posts) -

Depends. When I'm watching on my PC monitor HTML5 but I also watch some of the quicklooks via their youtube channel on my PS3.