Premium Members: Resubscribe or Unsubscribe?

Peanut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#201  Edited By Peanut
@Keavy_Rain said:

Subbed for life, son.

Giant Bomb filled a hole that the Ziff Davis owned 1up.com left when they went belly-up in 2008.

I don't know that anything can fill the hole of GFW Radio, Parish/Sharkey/Kohler/Barnholt Retronauts and Shane Bettenhausen era 1up Yours for me. Giant Bomb is amazing, but it's an entirely different beast compared to Ziff 1up. 
kingofpeanuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#202  Edited By kingofpeanuts

Not sure, The premium content hasn't been very for some time. I was hoping that they would get better but they haven't. Currently thinking about cancelling my subscription.

BrittonPeele

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#203  Edited By BrittonPeele

Resubscribe. I easily get my money's worth year-to-year, and that hasn't changed.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#204  Edited By SomeJerk

I get to give far less than $5 US a month of beer/hookers/blow money to people who make the best video-game related website in the world, a last bastion of proper journalism. I don't understand unsubscribers but then again I give to charities every month and invest in indie projects..

Skyrider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#205  Edited By Skyrider

I feel like I've gotten at least $50 worth of entertainment since I subscribed last September, so yeah, I'll be resubscribing.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#206  Edited By stonyman65

I'm good until June of 2013, so it doesn't matter right now. After that, I will make a decision. I haven't exactly been thrilled with the "premium" content, besides Jeff's Jar Time segments, and those are few and far between. I don't think it's really worth $50/year. At least it hasn't been since the buyout. We'll see what the rest of the year brings.

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#207  Edited By Lukeweizer

I actually don't know. Whenever I watch Quick Looks, I use the youtube video player because their default one is terrible. I've actually stopped watching Subscriber videos because of it.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#208  Edited By musubi

I re subbed during that last sale.

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#209  Edited By Baillie

@Lukeweizer said:

I actually don't know. Whenever I watch Quick Looks, I use the youtube video player because their default one is terrible. I've actually stopped watching Subscriber videos because of it.

Do you think the HTML 5 player is that bad too?

Brenderous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#210  Edited By Brenderous

@Insectecutor said:

@Brenderous said:

I already re-subscribed when they had the viking sale.

@xobballox said:

I'll probably stay subscribed, but I really hope they start putting out more premium content. Hopefully once the website re-launches Dave will have more time and they can get back to Random PC Game.

The Olympic Games Olympiad is great.

No it is not. The live streams of both weeks were good, but the recorded versions have none of the awesome shit they did in the break, and is just Ryan mashing buttons while Brad stares into a laptop and laughs at the chat.

You mean this? http://us.audionetwork.com/production-music/love-birds_44908.aspx

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#211  Edited By Lukeweizer
@Baillie

@Lukeweizer said:

Do you think the HTML 5 player is that bad too?

Actually haven't tried that one yet. Just the stream, progressive options. Which both freeze and restart on me constantly.
Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#212  Edited By Baillie

@Lukeweizer: Then you're in for a treat.

Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#213  Edited By Meowshi

I will continue to miss premium videos and I will continue to be bummed about that fact.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#214  Edited By crusader8463

I only paid for my first year and got the second one free because they sent me a shirt that came ripped to dog shit. I will probably keep subbing just because I still visit the site all the time and it drives me nuts not being able to see the archived stuff. That said, I still feel that it's a big rip off when it comes to content we get for our subs compared to the price we pay for it. If it was $20-$30 I would do it without hesitating, but $50 is a lot of money. I still got a year or so left though, so if the content still keeps sucking by that time next year I may not re-sub. Hard to say. A lot can happen in a years time.

oldjack327

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#215  Edited By oldjack327

Download video has been a pretty good perk for when I want to watch something but the internet connection doesn't like the player (has happened to me on more than one occasion). Plus I just like to support these guys.

TheJohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#216  Edited By TheJohn

I'll keep subscribing. I like video games, and I like this site. And I'm quite excited to see whatever new stuff they'll come up with after the re-design

winsord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#217  Edited By winsord

@Lukeweizer said:

As a premium member, you know you can just download the subscriber content instead, right? I both dislike, and have had trouble with the Gamespot player, but if you download it then you can just watch it in VLC or whatever and you don't have to deal with freezing or terrible aliasing.

mtcantor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#218  Edited By mtcantor

Resubscribe. I like to directly support things that I like. This provides me a good way to do so. Plus it will give me an excuse to get another shirt.

Jumanji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#219  Edited By Jumanji

Bombcast is worth a buck a week to me, but maybe not to others. So long as the Bombcast quality doesn't decline like the video quality, I will stay subbed. 

I agree with above criticisms that Quick Looks have become especially disorganized and uninformative. If it was up to me, I would dispense completely with reviews, and focus energy on polished video content. If "polish" means "knowing basic controls when you sit down to play the game for your paying audience" then so be it.

Avatar image for hydrotherion1979
hydrotherion1979

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I mainly subscribed to support the late whiskey media initiative. But I'll probably resubscribe to be able to download the video content. Premium and non premium.

Wacomole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#221  Edited By Wacomole

I got my first subscription from winning a trailer competition on the site last year and I've re-subscribed since then (during the recent sale) so I'm set until this time next year.

I pretty much expect I'll re-subscribe at that time, too.

BRNK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#222  Edited By BRNK

@Peanut said:

@Keavy_Rain said:

Subbed for life, son.

Giant Bomb filled a hole that the Ziff Davis owned 1up.com left when they went belly-up in 2008.

I don't know that anything can fill the hole of GFW Radio, Parish/Sharkey/Kohler/Barnholt Retronauts and Shane Bettenhausen era 1up Yours for me. Giant Bomb is amazing, but it's an entirely different beast compared to Ziff 1up.

Giant Bomb has worked it's way to equal standing with GFW over the years... they're different beasts for sure. Nothing will beat Shawn Elliott's lascivious tales of trolling Second Life, though.

As far as subscribing goes, I'll likely keep re-upping since I do watch most of what the duders put up and enjoy most of it (some more than others, obviously). I do also agree, though, that the slow-down in content has been too prolonged and is worrisome. There has been a lot of talk about this topic lately, I wonder what the guys think? I'm keeping the faith for now.

234r2we232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#223  Edited By 234r2we232

CBSi & Gamespot appreciate your support <3

Avatar image for dad_is_a_zombie
Dad_Is_A_Zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#224  Edited By Dad_Is_A_Zombie

I subscribed to help a bunch of independent guys whose stuff I kind of like keep things going. That's no longer necessary. The premium content has been nothing special, often just silly and almost seems token just to be able to justify the charge. And the office is still in transition excuse has gotten a little stale. So I will probably just let my subscription lapse when the time comes.

Insectecutor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#225  Edited By Insectecutor

@Brenderous: No I mean the slow-mo 32-bit winter-olympians biting it set to classical music, but that whistling tune and the chat being thrown up on the stream was good too.

apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 7

#226  Edited By apathylad

Drew's trip to North Korea was interesting, but that's the last thing I remember enjoying in terms of premium content, off the top of my head.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#227  Edited By monkeyking1969

I resubscribed mostly because I like Jeff, Ryan, Vinnie, Brad and Patrick...and all the others. If there is one website worthy support it would be GB. On average, I am blowing $100 a month on Kickstarter so what's a few bucks a month over a whole year.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 45

#228  Edited By Slag

@Baillie:

I'm completely unsure man. Fortunately I don't have to make a decision for months.

I intially subscribed since I'd been using the site a lot and I really appreciated

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 66

#229  Edited By ArbitraryWater

A lot of the premium livestreams have been quite good, but there hasn't been a "Oh snap, this content is actually worth my money!" moment since Drew returning from North Korea. Regardless, I didn't go yearly until last month with the Dwarf Fortress themed sale, so I don't have to bother thinking about this for a while. Hopefully with the website redesign close at hand we can get Dave to do another Random PC game.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76
deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@Slag said:

@Baillie:

It just makes me wonder if I resub if the money is just going to get pocketed by CBSi mgt.

Well, Vinny could have bought several tricasters by now if they had any free reign over the subscription money, which CBSi probably just lists as "miscellaneous revenue" or something.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#231  Edited By Slag

@atomic_dumpling said:

@Slag said:

@Baillie:

It just makes me wonder if I resub if the money is just going to get pocketed by CBSi mgt.

Well, Vinny could have bought several tricasters by now if they had any free reign over the subscription money, which CBSi probably just lists as "miscellaneous revenue" or something.

I meant pocketed by people higher above the CBSi foodchain than the GB crew. I figure all the sub money goes straight to CBSi AR dept now and Giantbomb has to petition and fight for every dollar they need for equipment and such.

Which is why they probably still don't have what they need. Karen is right they need a "fixer", or producer or something to go to all these meetings and get them the stuff they need, so they can get back to doing their real jobs.

Shaka999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#232  Edited By Shaka999

I'm gonna keep subscribing just cause I love what these guys do. I love quick looks, I love the podcast, I love the content. Happy to support them.

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#233  Edited By Little_Socrates

Definitely resubscribing during BLLSL. Wish I'd remembered to resub during the "Fourth of July" discount weekend.

Guys, being a premium member is so awesome in comparison to...not being a premium member.

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

I'd probably resub if there was some kind of premium Bombcast that wasn't released to regular members until a week later.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#235  Edited By Andorski

I'd probably resub. I watch GB videos more than everything that's on TV.

EarlessShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

#236  Edited By EarlessShrimp

In all honesty, I think this site is pretty sweet, so I want to do what I can to help!

adoggz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#237  Edited By adoggz

@LordXavierBritish said:

I'd probably resub if there was some kind of premium Bombcast that wasn't released to regular members until a week later.

the current bombcast is kinda long. maybe they could like somehow split it up and release half of it the first week then the other half after a week of waiting. then the paying members can get that second half a week early.

Jimbo7676

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#238  Edited By Jimbo7676

@Baillie: I already paid up into 2013 when the subscription went on sale. It would take a long LONG stretch of no premium content and maybe something that is kind of a fuck you to subscribers (basically a lot) for me to unsub. I've been with this site since the beginning. This is my favorite site with my favorite dudes (who I followed years before the site) so I will keep subscribing to support them.

SargeGulp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#239  Edited By SargeGulp

I don't have a reason to.

Initially I subbed because the entire Whiskey family was well worth it. No content today on GB? Alright let's head over to tested or screened.

They don't need my money, I don't think so at least.. so what's the point? There isn't any MUST have content available only to subscribers, I check it all the time, it just ain't there (IMO)

pandorasbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#240  Edited By pandorasbox

I'm a monthly subscriber, so this choice is kind of irrelevant because i can just stop at any point. That said, if i WERE a yearly subscriber, i would unsubscribe and go monthly. GB isn't pumping out any good content for paying subscribers anymore. The TNT stuff is all available on JTV and they've cut down the TNT's to 1:30 instead of a solid two hours. I don't want to hear all of this bullshit about how they've been too busy "with the new office". It's horse shit. Get to steppin', GB. Do more of the following;

• breaking brads
  • endurance runs
  • random pc games
  • flight clubs
  • ANYTHING with Dave in it
  • secondary podcasts

I love the bombcast with every ounce of my beating heart, but they're becoming lazier and lazier as time goes on.

Also, knock off the quick look EX bullshit. Nobody likes them.

Jumanji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#241  Edited By Jumanji
@Slag said:

@atomic_dumpling said:

@Slag said:

@Baillie:

I meant pocketed by people higher above the CBSi foodchain than the GB crew. I figure all the sub money goes straight to CBSi AR dept now and Giantbomb has to petition and fight for every dollar they need for equipment and such.

Which is why they probably still don't have what they need. Karen is right they need a "fixer", or producer or something to go to all these meetings and get them the stuff they need, so they can get back to doing their real jobs.

When you've got people sitting in their basements producing Let's Plays for free and getting 50k+ views on youtube, (or just doing long writeups with screenshots every sentence/paragraph and still getting HUGE traffic and feedback) then the "no tools" argument falls apart completely.
FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#242  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@adoggz said:

@LordXavierBritish said:

the current bombcast is kinda long. maybe they could like somehow split it up and release half of it the first week then the other half after a week of waiting. then the paying members can get that second half a week early.

Weren't you there during the Bombcast civil war?

JazzyJeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#243  Edited By JazzyJeff

I'll be resubscribing. These guys have been entertaining me for years, and I am happy to give $50 a year to keep supporting them.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#244  Edited By Slag

@Jumanji said:

@Slag said:

@atomic_dumpling said:

@Slag said:

@Baillie:

When you've got people sitting in their basements producing Let's Plays for free and getting 50k+ views on youtube, (or just doing long writeups with screenshots every sentence/paragraph and still getting HUGE traffic and feedback) then the "no tools" argument falls apart completely.

I can buy it. Here's why, the guys may not be calling the shots on their time. If corporate wants Vinny & Jeff etc to go endless meetings on synergy and haggle over line item of their budget, they aren't going to have much time left over to actually create content.

In some ways the basement crowd has it easier since they likely have full autonomy. Doesn't sound like GB has that anymore.

I don't know that's what's actually happening to the Gb crew. But it sounds to me like it might be. I really hope I'm wrong, since if it's a bureaucracy issue it would not bode well for the future of the site.

The sooner the site relaunches, the better I'll feel.

topsteer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#245  Edited By topsteer

@Shaka999 said:

I'm gonna keep subscribing just cause I love what these guys do. I love quick looks, I love the podcast, I love the content. Happy to support them.

Same here, been a premium member since the start and will be for as long as the option is there.

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#246  Edited By tourgen

considering they had to spec out, buy, and rebuild their entire video system in a new place - they've been putting out amazing stuff. absolutely worth it to me.

adoggz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#247  Edited By adoggz
@FluxWaveZ

@adoggz said:

@LordXavierBritish said:

Weren't you there during the Bombcast civil war?

Haha yeah, that was some "good" times.
Colt45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#248  Edited By Colt45

I'm definitely keeping my subscription. In fact, I think I'm paid up through 2014. (I bought a few yearly subs.) The site is keeping me sane while I write my dissertation. I think that's something worth paying for.

riostarwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 206

User Lists: 62

#249  Edited By riostarwind  Moderator

Not really seeing a reason to stop subscribing. The premium content might not be as plentiful right now but I've always had a enjoyable time watching it still.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#250  Edited By SSully

I already renewed with the dave fortress deal! I think they have had some great premium content this year, I think its well worth it.