Premium membership just might kill me.

poobumbutt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

So, I recently got premium membership and am currently having the presumably common, shocked reaction over how much premium backlog content there is. This is cool, but the mother of excess is not joy, but joylessness (yeah, I googled that. First impressions!).

I'm someone who likes to enjoy a production in chronological order, even if there is no narrative link (Game Center CX for example). I don't mind watching things like Breaking Brad or Drew's Korea trip out of order, because those are stand-alone and by nature exist by themselves. But for TNT and UPFs, it's a different story. The problem here is that I fear if I start at the beginning of it all (Happy Hour and whatnot), I will probably burn out. Or die.

So, does anyone have a good starting place for those two series? Is there a good milestone or change that happened which marks a good start date? I don't mind going back quite a ways - two-thirds or so - so long as it won't break my brain.

I've seen a post or two on how to get started on one's premium adventure, but those are rather general ("BB is awesome, Korea trip is interesting, watch some random UPF" etc.). I'm looking for specifics: where do I begin?

Thanks in advance duders!

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By MikkaQ

You could always start with UPF if it all seems a bit much, Happy Hour was exclusively for the Whiskey Media days, so there is a pretty clear transition period between both shows. Then if you somehow manage to get through all of that, the happy hour will still be there to watch.

I'm actually in a similar position, I've been a premium member since the start, but I stopped watching most content about a year ago due to life circumstances. Now if I want to catch up I honestly don't know where to start, I have a million quicklooks, UPFs and bombcasts to watch it seems.

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#3  Edited By emfromthesea

I don't know about UPF, because I'm working through my own backlog and haven't reached them yet, but here's a good guide for TNT. Credit goes to @prestige. From there I suggest you look over the games they play and choose your own starting point. I think the best course of action would be to cherry pick what interests you, but I can understand the desire to go in a chronological order.

poobumbutt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4  Edited By poobumbutt

@sunbrozak: @mikkaq: Yeah, UPF is so dang silly, I feel I can easily watch that pretty much from the start, the problem is TNT; so thank you very much sunbrozak! With a guide, I feel a lot more confident that I know what I'd be missing and if I'd even like it. This is awesome, and such quick responses, no wonder people say this community's rad. Thanks a lot, guys.

splodge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By splodge

PLease tell me the first thing you did was watch the RANDOM PC GAME edition of Phantasmagoria. I firmly believe they are the best videos on the site. If I am having a particularly bad time, I will just stick it on and go to my happy place.

Turns out my happy place is listening to two fully grown men making crude jokes about a shoddy FMV production featuring a pony-tailed pervert and a dour woman.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#6  Edited By GERALTITUDE

I wouldn't do it in perfect order, that's madness. You wanna mix up the features anyways as they have such different flows. Little bit of Random PC game here, little bit of TNT there, little bit of Breaking Brad to round it off.

Get ready for a wild ride!

The Call of Duty Breaking Brad and the Cacobrad Doom Breaking Brad are *excellent*, absolute must watches. So is BioForge! And so is - ahhh I could go on forever. Sorry, I'm doing exactly what you didn't want. Annnnd welcome to the site duder! :D

Prestige

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@sunbrozak: Hey I'm happy someone's getting use out of my TNT guide. I'd recommend using @szlifier's site qlcrew.com for searching old videos. It indexes all the TNTs and UPFs, with highlights listed. It doesn't cover all premium videos yet though.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

After being an active member of this site since it's first year of inception, I finally joined this month because I wanted to see Dan play Warcaft. Now I am just picking at choosing back content to fill up my evenings after work since there is rarely anything good on TV these days. I am quite pleased for now. I enjoy watching Jeff play bad games on Unprofessional Fridays most.

Avatar image for thunderstorm101
thunderstorm101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't seen Drew's Korea trip video, could anyone link it here as i'm having a hard time finding it.

Giefcookie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@thunderstorm101: Right here Duder: http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/drew-returns-from-north-korea/2300-5929/

HelloDanni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn't really want to start a new thread to ask this question, but as it's somewhat related to premium membership--these gold and silver ribbons on our avatars, do those have to do with membership? And what does each color mean? I signed up for premium a couple months ago but don't use the forums too often so I'm sorry if this has been asked a million times (searching "gold ribbon" only brought up wrestling threads sooo)

DarkShaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#12  Edited By DarkShaper

@hellodanni: Silver ribbons for monthly subscribers and gold ribbons for yearly subscribers. Don't feel bad about missing that, I don't think I have seen it explained anywhere since before subscriptions were introduced.

frymillstrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

More 1st world problems in the GB forums...

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

I don't think you will gain anything from watching UPF in order, or rather I should say you won't be missing out on anything if you don't. I'd just cherry pick the good ones or ones with games on you are interested in, unless you have a stupid amount of free time.

There's far better premium content anyway.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

You guys watch that stuff in order? Why would you... I don't... Is there some... Like... What?

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Capum15
@zevvion said:

You guys watch that stuff in order? Why would you... I don't... Is there some... Like... What?

This. Cannot compute.

But really, UPF videos are pretty standalone. And TNTs.

Burger_Time

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@capum15: The early UPFs had Jeff reading the Space Jam novelization. You need to watch those in order or else the story won't make sense.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By Corevi

@capum15: The early UPFs had Jeff reading the Space Jam novelization. You need to watch those in order or else the story won't make sense.

Unless you've seen the movie, in which case you can put it together yourself. He only got a little over halfway though before stopping.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@burger_time said:

Unless you've seen the movie, in which case you can put it together yourself. He only got a little over halfway though before stopping.

...can...can you link those? Or are they just like the first few UPFs? I didn't sub for a while so I missed a lot of the early stuff (though I've got most core things aside from UPF and TNT archives watched).

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@capum15 said:
@corruptedevil said:
@burger_time said:

...can...can you link those? Or are they just like the first few UPFs? I didn't sub for a while so I missed a lot of the early stuff (though I've got most core things aside from UPF and TNT archives watched).

It is the first few UPFs. Starts in the very first one (1/18/13)

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@capum15 said:
@corruptedevil said:
@burger_time said:

It is the first few UPFs. Starts in the very first one (1/18/13)

Awesome, thanks.