• 77 results
#1 Edited by Rorie (3750 posts) -

Hey, we're going to be doing a meetup/event thingamabob on Friday, August 29th, at a restaurant/bar a block or two from the Seattle Convention Center, probably around 8 PM. Giant Bomb staff will be in attendance, we'll talk a bit, have a few drinks; we'll probably have some stuff to give away to people who manage to make it out, as well. Technology allowing, we're going to try and stream something from the event as well.

OMG IT'S PARTY TIME

Attendance for the event is limited by the restaurant's max capacity, but we are hoping to get around 100 people to join us inside. There are a few qualifications, though: you must be 21 or over and a current Premium subscriber to get on the list to attend. There won't be any +1's for this, so if you want a friend to come along, they will likewise have to be a current Premium subscriber and RSVP separately. You will also have to have your real first and last name saved in your profile as we'll be checking both usernames and real names at the door to confirm RSVPs. (That means that you'll have to have a valid ID with your real name on it, as well; if you can't get into a bar, you can't get into this event.) You can add that to your profile via the Settings menu if you hover over your avatar up top. You'll also need to have a valid email address tied to your account, as we'll be sending out RSVPs via email.

As I want to give a bit of time for everyone to read this before the signup time comes, I'm going to open up signups in a post in this here General Discussion forum on Thursday the 14th at twelve noon Pacific Time. We'll accept 120 signups before I lock the thread; 100 people will be on the list, and the last 20 will be in reserve in case we get cancellations from people in the first 100. So, if you're going to PAX Prime and want to attend this event, be here on the forums on Thursday at noon. Do not sign up in this thread; only sign up in the thread I will post on Thursday. If you sign up here, it won't count and you'll be sad. Feel free to ask any questions in this thread and I'll try to answer them.

TLDR:

• Party at PAX Prime, Friday the 29th around 8 PM.
  • Must be 21+ and a current Premium subscriber with your real name in your profile to attend; no +1's.
  • You must have a valid email address attached to your account, as that's how we'll be getting in touch.
  • Signups will start on Thursday, August 14th at noon Pacific Time, in another thread here in General Discussion.
  • Only the first 100 RSVPs will be guaranteed entrance.
Staff
#2 Posted by Video_Game_King (36565 posts) -

I came into this thread to joke about how you were going to identify premium members. "What? Are you going to ask them for their ID?"

Turns out that's a more practical idea than I gave it credit for.

#3 Posted by TimeWaffle (967 posts) -

Oh man this should be fun I plan on going as long as I can get off work that Friday. I'll keep my eyes peeled this Thursday.

#4 Edited by Corevi (6793 posts) -
@video_game_king said:

I came into this thread to joke about how you were going to identify premium members. "What? Are you going to ask them for their ID?"

Turns out that's a more practical idea than I gave it credit for.

Giant Bomb Premium ID cards would be pretty cool.

#5 Posted by Fobwashed (2677 posts) -

The username / first last name is the same system I used to distribute PAX shirts =]

The impromptu last minute location change meetup at PAX East was real chill and nice. This one also sounds like it'll be a ton of fun~ Hope I can RSVP in time =P

#6 Posted by MATATAT (848 posts) -

Hmmm... I would like to go to this but I don't really want to ditch people I'm hanging out with to go.

Hard life decisions.

#7 Posted by endoworks (340 posts) -

@rorie: This makes me even more sad for not going to Prime, but I get to meet all you awesome duders at the meetup at East this year so I guess it's fair others will get the chance! Enjoy :)

#8 Posted by Meepasaurus (257 posts) -

Sounds awesome! :D

#9 Edited by Ekami (285 posts) -

I hope everyone likes inconsistent eye contact, because that's what I'm bringing!

#10 Edited by Kevers (12 posts) -

I really wish this was how the PAX East Meetup was set up.

#11 Posted by Ekami (285 posts) -

I'll also bring cookies, but you have to give me a poorly aimed fist bump that limply glances off my arm to get any.

#12 Posted by Hailinel (25787 posts) -

Sounds fun!

#13 Posted by WalterCrunkFite (618 posts) -

@ekami: Maybe my favourite comment ever! :)

#14 Posted by big_jon (6333 posts) -

I wish you guys did this last year. Maybe next year ill go.

#15 Posted by mjbrune (131 posts) -

Does this meet up require you being at Pax Prime or can you show up even if you didn't get into Pax? I see the restaurant is separate from the convention center so it sounds like it's up to you guys to require people having attend Pax or not.

#16 Posted by Ekami (285 posts) -

@gregorygold: Thanks! Cookies for you. You'll be able to find me at the party because I'll be the guy yelling "AYO METAL GEAR!" every time I feel a friendship is formed.

#17 Posted by TheHT (13581 posts) -

Dunno why, but that pug reminds me Half-Life 1. Like a headcrab or a houndeye attacking you in a bathroom.

This seems like a good way to avoid another PAX East situation.

#18 Posted by mrfluke (5798 posts) -

feels a bit surreal to actually be like "Hey im going to Pax Prime this year!, i can totally get in on this!"

that is providing i make it to the thread on thursday in time.

#19 Posted by Rayeth (1147 posts) -

The no +1 rule sounds like this is a recipe for awkwardness. I can understand why it is in place but I certainly wouldn't want to attend any kind of event run like that. (Not that I'm going to PAX anyhow) Still, glad they are trying to get as many members in as possible. Good stuff guys, have fun everyone going to the event.

#20 Edited by WalterCrunkFite (618 posts) -
#21 Edited by Corevi (6793 posts) -
@ekami said:

I'll be the guy yelling "AYO METAL GEAR!" every time I feel a friendship is formed.

#22 Edited by cooljammer00 (2665 posts) -

PAX East coulda used something like this. But what do I know, I fell asleep in my hotel on Friday afternoon after getting off the bus, and woke up at like 2AM after everything had ended. Eh, there's always 2015!

#23 Edited by Mully (13 posts) -

Wait. So where will we put out real name in our profile? Just in the description?

#24 Edited by Lego_My_Eggo (1120 posts) -

@mully: No hit settings and there should be a spot specifically for your name.

use this link www.giantbomb.com/profile/mully/settings/ to get to your settings

#25 Edited by AlwaysBeClothing (1718 posts) -

Man, I hope I can get into this! I wish it was Wed instead of Thurs but I'll give it a shot from my phone anyway

#26 Posted by arthup (11 posts) -

Sounds awesome!

#27 Posted by KoolAid (1338 posts) -

I'm going to be honest. When Rorie typed thingamabob I thought that was a terrible misspelling of giant bomb.

Also I hope there will be bingo and/or a meat raffle.

#28 Posted by Mully (13 posts) -
#29 Posted by GorillaMoPena (3073 posts) -

PAX East coulda used something like this. But what do I know, I fell asleep in my hotel on Friday afternoon after getting off the bus, and woke up at like 2AM after everything had ended. Eh, there's always 2015!

I don't know that waiting in the line was a thrill a minute, for a lot of minutes

#30 Posted by JesusHammer (612 posts) -

Hopefully somethign like this happens next PAX Prime because I might actually go to that one. Sounds like a ton of fun though, so hope the people that do/can go have that fun thing happen.

#31 Posted by billymagnum (886 posts) -

here's hoping for anyone attending, that this get together actually works out as opposed to the PAX East debacle.....

my prayers are with you

#32 Edited by CatsAkimbo (759 posts) -

@rorie: Are firstname/lastname's on profiles publicly visible? It looks like they're not, but I may be overlooking a page somewhere.

#33 Edited by csl316 (12709 posts) -

Cool. Subscriber-only meetups seem like the ultimate reward, not to mention the best way to avoid a few crazies.

#34 Posted by tildebees (175 posts) -

next year I'll be 21. next year!!

#35 Edited by The_Nubster (2875 posts) -

I won't be able to make it regardless, but could this be posted as a news story for people who don't frequent the forums? Or make the actual sign-ups a news story with a link to the forum thread or some such?

#36 Edited by bacongames (3970 posts) -

This already seems like a million times better than the plan going into PAX East this year. I was there, I can tell you it wasn't pretty. I just hope the PAX schedule gets posted before the sign-up time so I can work out if something else is happening at the same time.

#37 Posted by Musai (70 posts) -

Darn, I was hoping to go to Prime this year, bummed that I can't go to this. Will you guys be having a premium meetup at East next year, too?

#38 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (6523 posts) -

If only I were a mere year older. Oh well, here's to future meet ups.

#39 Edited by pinner458 (1151 posts) -

If only I didn't live across a massive ocean... And then some...

#40 Posted by aorey (155 posts) -

AAAAAGH, I'll be at work at the time for sign up! Maybe I can get a friend to sign up for me at that time using my profile? Seems like my only option for getting in. :/

#42 Posted by jzo99 (91 posts) -

There better be POGS at this shindig

#43 Posted by StarvingGamer (10740 posts) -

Well, even though I'm not going to PAX, at least I can find comfort in the fact that the not being able to bring a +1 would rule me out anyways...?

#44 Posted by Meepasaurus (257 posts) -

This already seems like a million times better than the plan going into PAX East this year. I was there, I can tell you it wasn't pretty. I just hope the PAX schedule gets posted before the sign-up time so I can work out if something else is happening at the same time.

It was just posted, and the Cards Against Humanity panel will be happening at the same time.

#45 Posted by Fattony12000 (8134 posts) -

Is Sweep going to be on the door or something?

#46 Posted by Fake_Empire (30 posts) -

Total noob to the GB forums, is it gonna be posted in the PAX 2014 board or on general discussion?

#47 Posted by bacongames (3970 posts) -

@meepasaurus said:

@bacongames said:

It was just posted, and the Cards Against Humanity panel will be happening at the same time.

Luckily for me this exact situation presented itself at PAX East this year so I should have no trouble deciding again. Barring any unknown or unannounced meet-ups at that time, I should be all clear to attend.

#48 Posted by Rorie (3750 posts) -

Total noob to the GB forums, is it gonna be posted in the PAX 2014 board or on general discussion?

It'll be posted here in General Discussion.

Staff
#49 Posted by Warchief (671 posts) -

@rorie can you guys do this for PAX East next year please.

#50 Posted by Rorie (3750 posts) -

@warchief said:

@rorie can you guys do this for PAX East next year please.

We'll see!

Staff