• 163 results
#1 Edited by laserbolts (5353 posts) -

Anyone else sort of bummed out that they always said quick looks wouldn't be paid content but then just changed the name of some of them and made it premium content? I mean the flight club are just quick looks of flying sims and if the flight club was a thing back when the warthog and sturmovik quick looks were done i'm sure they would have been premium. I dunno the whole thing has sort of left me a bit bitter on the premium membership thing. Also I had a yearly membership that recently expired so I know what the flight club videos are. Also a mod can lock this since it served no purpose only to remind me that posting something like this will show what the community is like here.

#2 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@laserbolts said:

Anyone else sort of bummed out that they always said quick looks wouldn't be paid content but then just changed the name of some of them and made it premium content? I mean the flight club are just quick looks of flying sims and if the flight club was a thing back when the warthog and sturmovik quick looks were done i'm sure they would have been premium. I dunno the whole thing has sort of left me a bit bitter on the premium membership thing.

Then what else would you suggest be for Prem? Its not really a quick look most of the games they do are kinda old. The space "Flight club" a wile ago was not that exciting. Most of it was them smashing into the same spot on the ground over and over. Its not a paid content quick look it is just something a bit extra. 
#3 Posted by Milkman (17202 posts) -

I'm not sure what else you expect premium content to be.

#4 Posted by konig_kei (663 posts) -

Premium membership completely worth Dave/vinny/drew videos.

#5 Posted by Beld (42 posts) -

Given that it usually takes them longer than the length of a Quick Look to get the plane off the ground. I guess I would disagree on it being one.

#6 Posted by Leptok (942 posts) -

Yeah Flight Club is like 2 hours.

#7 Posted by OtakuGamer (1283 posts) -

It’s not really a quick look, it’s just a bunch of dudes fucking around for 2 hours...wait, yeah that is a quick look. What the Fuck GB?

#8 Posted by CaLe (4041 posts) -

Flight Club videos are usually quite different than normal quicklooks.

#9 Posted by Deadmanforking (579 posts) -

Didn't like 50 of these topic exsist around the time the first lot of premium content came out?

#10 Posted by Tim_the_Corsair (3065 posts) -

It's a long feature starring guys that aren't the frontline staff doing stuff that is generally outside the realm of the Quicklook.

That's like calling an Endurance Run a QL

#11 Edited by TruthTellah (9428 posts) -

Something like Flight Club or Random PC Game is far from a Quick Look. Quick Looks are generally recent games played for a short time to give an impression of the title. Flight Club is Vinny, Dave, and Drew dicking around for two hours and possibly eventually getting a virtual plane to maybe do something.

#12 Posted by Pimpsandwich (74 posts) -

@Tim_the_Corsair said:

It's a long feature starring guys that aren't the frontline staff doing stuff that is generally outside the realm of the Quicklook.

That's like calling an Endurance Run a QL

#13 Posted by Icemo (656 posts) -

They want their premium content to be desirable so they can sell some memberships. If all the cool stuff was free, who would pay them money? So man up and buy that membership if you want to see that you cheapskate.

#14 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

Knew what all the posts would be before I even came in here. *high fives self*

#15 Posted by redefaulted (2802 posts) -

@Icemo said:

They want their premium content to be desirable so they can sell some memberships. If all the cool stuff was free, who would pay them money? So man up and buy that membership if you want to see that you cheapskate.

#16 Posted by JoeyRavn (5007 posts) -

Talk about beating a dead horse.

#17 Edited by KillerPidgeon (64 posts) -

I see no other free members jumping to your cause. But we could (not really now) say the same thing when there was a lack of content during the transition.

Thankfully, all is well in GBLand now...except for the absence of Random PC Game

EDIT: "We" being Premium members

#18 Posted by joshthebear (2700 posts) -

Yep. This thread went how I imagined.

#19 Posted by BeachThunder (12305 posts) -

@CL60 said:

Knew what all the posts would be before I even came in here. *high fives self*

Isn't that just clapping?

#20 Posted by Castiel (2704 posts) -

Come on whine a little more, no please go on.

#21 Posted by pyromagnestir (4337 posts) -

@OtakuGamer said:

It’s not really a quick look, it’s just a bunch of dudes fucking around for 2 hours...wait, yeah that is a quick look. What the Fuck GB?

To be fair this can basically sum up all GB content, ever. With varying lengths, of course.

#22 Posted by lightsoda (541 posts) -

So what's the problem? We pay extra for more QL's is what you're saying, even if it's similar content, I wouldn't mind paying a little extra for more of it.

Heck, some of us would gladly have paid in the beginning just to support these guys.

#23 Posted by Mijati (948 posts) -

I still remember the first Flight Club. I had convinced myself that it was the Fight Club and wondered wtf they'd be doing. It wasn't until they started streaming some flight sim that I went "OHHHH, fLight Club!".

#24 Posted by flasaltine (1695 posts) -

@chrismcblack said:

I see no other free members jumping to your cause. But we could (not really now) say the same thing when there was a lack of content during the transition.

I think I see more premium members on the forums and in comments than I do free members. This leads me to believe that there are a lot more premium members than we think and they are more active than free members.

#25 Posted by mak_wikus (554 posts) -

I like how every reply to this topic was written by a paying member.

And no, Flight Club is not the same as Quick Look.

#26 Posted by artgarcrunkle (970 posts) -

If you aren't spergy enough to buy a premium membership they don't care about you seeing the best content. Don't know why you'd expect GB to be more scrupulous and less greedy than any other business.

#27 Posted by SmilingPig (1341 posts) -

Not really, I will spend 5$ at some point and watch the back catalog of premium content.

#28 Posted by Beld (42 posts) -

@BeachThunder: Yes. Unless you are Diamond Dallas Page.

#29 Posted by The_Nubster (2323 posts) -

Quick Looks are of recent games and are meant to inform. Other video content concerning video games are not and don't.

#30 Posted by jotap (29 posts) -

Hi guys.

Just a question... Do you know if the 35 dollars for the yearly premium is still active? If a try to upgrade it says 49.95 and they said that the 35 dollar yearly subscrition was until today.

Sorry for any bad english since im not american.

#31 Posted by Lava (672 posts) -

Yeah like everyone else said they aren't really Quick Looks. Watching the guys screw around for a few hours is totally worth the money. Premium is premium, it's their site so it's up to them in the end.

#32 Posted by Grissefar (2842 posts) -

@laserbolts said:

Anyone else sort of bummed out that they always said quick looks wouldn't be paid content but then just changed the name of some of them and made it premium content? I mean the flight club are just quick looks of flying sims and if the flight club was a thing back when the warthog and sturmovik quick looks were done i'm sure they would have been premium. I dunno the whole thing has sort of left me a bit bitter on the premium membership thing.

Ha ! Ha ! There has barely been any premium content the last 3 months and as soon as it pops up again, someone is sure to complain. Perhaps you are just getting bitter again, man. I thought you were over that shit.

#33 Posted by Bane122 (808 posts) -

@jotap said:

Hi guys.

Just a question... Do you know if the 35 dollars for the yearly premium is still active? If a try to upgrade it says 49.95 and they said that the 35 dollar yearly subscrition was until today.

Well it said the deal was good until the 6th so yesterday would have been the last day to get it.

#34 Posted by Grissefar (2842 posts) -

@jotap said:

Hi guys.

I don't know, but if it's your first time and you're interested in the whole back catalogue, you can easily drop just $5 and then you have a month to watch/download it all. Just skip the Happy Hours. Ha ! Ha !

#35 Posted by Hockeymask27 (3683 posts) -

nah its cool.

#36 Edited by jotap (29 posts) -

Well it's done and done.

I don't even care if it was 49.95. This guys deserve it. I follow them since the gamespot years and even if they got cbs support now i think is money well spent if only for the quicklooks. If i have any pleasure in seeing people playing games is with this guys. Lots of laughs.

Thanks for the help guys

#37 Posted by KillerPidgeon (64 posts) -

@Flacracker: Very true, you got me there Sir!

Honestly I don't know how anyone could go without a Premo membership, all the hilarious video stuff Vinny does on TNT is worth it alone.

#38 Posted by andriv (257 posts) -

@artgarcrunkle: where they doing as much extra content, non-current games related content, before the sub model as they are doing now?

#39 Posted by mortface (110 posts) -

@Bane122: Wait what? I'm already a yearly supporter, do I need to do anything? I just want it to clock over as normal.

#40 Posted by alternate (2719 posts) -

I think they just set aside that Friday afternoon slot for premium. They need to justify taking Dave away from his actual designing/coding job.

You might be annoyed that they are locking content away, but then again, if you are in to the site enough that Flight Club, Dwarf Fortress, etc are attractive to you then dropping $5 every 6 months or so to catch up on all the premium content seems pretty reasonable.

#41 Posted by WMWA (1162 posts) -
@artgarcrunkle

If you aren't spergy enough to buy a premium membership they don't care about you seeing the best content. Don't know why you'd expect GB to be more scrupulous and less greedy than any other business.

Less about them being greedy and more about you guys being cheap, all the other free things considered.
#42 Edited by artgarcrunkle (970 posts) -

@wmaustin55: I'm cheap for not paying $50 for a year where there may be huge gaps in good content, for a website with ads, owned by one of America's six major media empires? That's a wild opinion, man.

#43 Posted by Bane122 (808 posts) -

@mortface said:

@Bane122: Wait what? I'm already a yearly supporter, do I need to do anything? I just want it to clock over as normal.

I'm not sure I understand. If you want to continue a yearly subscription no matter the rate, I believe it just automatically renews at the end of your last month. I have a monthly sub, though, so I could be mistaken.

#44 Posted by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -
@artgarcrunkle: Paying members do not see ads. Yeah it's been a while since there has been good premium content; however as soon as they come up with some, we get threads like this bitching that it even exists in premium form. And who cares who owns them? What does that have to do with anything?
#45 Posted by SmasheControllers (2552 posts) -

As a Prem Member, I don't like the idea of free users losing existing content, but the Flight Club videos are not Quick Looks.

#46 Posted by s10129107 (1193 posts) -

Flight club really is extra content. The games they do on extra content arent always relevant or new releases like the quick looks are. Extra content is usually just for entertainment or its coverage of something so obscure (like dwarf fortress) that it really wouldnt matter. Paying members have to get something after all. This sentiment that GB staff are money grubbers seems disingenuous. They have to make money somehow, the subscribers arent gonna pay for everything and they have to offer something a little better for them than not having to look at ads.

I don't think the fact that owned by CBS makes any difference. The consequences of the site not being successful are the same. If they can't make money there wont be a GiantBomb.

#47 Posted by artgarcrunkle (970 posts) -

@MrKlorox said:

And who cares who owns them? What does that have to do with anything?

Because the crew have job security, yet whenever one of these threads come up premium members spaz out for pages as if people who aren't paying for content actively trying to undermine the bomb crew's well being.

Also these threads have probably been trolls every time because it's fun to read through all the bizarre sycophantic responses.

#48 Posted by Animasta (14718 posts) -

@artgarcrunkle said:

@MrKlorox said:

And who cares who owns them? What does that have to do with anything?

Because the crew have job security, yet whenever one of these threads come up premium members spaz out for pages as if people who aren't paying for content actively trying to undermine the bomb crew's well being.

Also these threads have probably been trolls every time because it's fun to read through all the bizarre sycophantic responses.

really? you think if they don't get subscribers CBSi will just let them do whatever? that's hella naive man.

#49 Posted by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -
@artgarcrunkle said:

Oh, you mean reason? Yeah, those dudes are so delusional.
#50 Edited by artgarcrunkle (970 posts) -

@Animasta: Pageviews matter, ads matter, no one on the crew is dead weight so their jobs are probably safe unless they start hemorrhaging subscribers. CBS picked up GB and Comic Vine for a reason and I don't think it was because they expected a steady upward growth in memberships.

@MrKlorox: Don't know what to tell you champ, the reactions are normally more ridiculous than they have been in this thread.