• 90 results
#1 Edited by R3belD0gg (72 posts) -

So I've been a fan of the Bombcast for 6-8 months now, I guess. Lately I've been watching the hell out of Quick Looks and stuff on the site. I was going to get the premium subscription here just to support Giant Bomb. At the moment, I can't really do a yearly membership, so I'm going to wait until I've got the spare change

My question is, is the premium stuff worth it? These guys seem to give away all of the really good stuff for free. I would subscribe just to support the site, but I'm curious about what you get as a member. $50 a year kinda seems like a lot. The subscription page lists Breaking Brad and something about jars. The ad thing is a non-issue. I use Adblocker, never seen an ad on GB, sorry. Other than that it just says "Exclusive Content" and "Throwback Coverage." I'm not sure what that is.

As I said, I'll get the membership just because I enjoy the free content so much and I want to support the site. But I'd feel better about the $50 if somebody could sell me on it.

So, premium members, is it worth $50? (Okay, $35 if you count the credit.)

#2 Edited by TruthTellah (8371 posts) -

@r3beld0gg: For $35? Heck yeah.

Not only are you supporting them, I would argue that a lot of their best content is for subscribers.

Subscribe and watch entertaining stuff like Vinny's hilarious run through Dark Souls in Load Our Last Souls, Brad losing his mind in Breaking Brad, Patrick scaring the crap out of himself in Spookin with Scoops, the random oddity of Unprofessional Fridays, roll-playing fun in Giant Bomb Unplugged, Jeff's occasional candid talks in Jar Time videos, the BioForge unofficial endurance run, years of silly multiplayer on Thursday Night Throwdowns, Drew's trip to North Korea, Sim Golf, and all the Random PC Games and Load Our Last Saves full of the guys playing hilarious old games.

And you get more live content every month. It's certainly worth a few months subscription, and if you can, I'd say it's a steal for $35 a year.

#3 Edited by mercutio123 (466 posts) -

The premium stuff is now the thing I watch most. Load Our Last Souls was fantastic. That alone is worth the price of admission.

#4 Posted by YI_Orange (1123 posts) -

Yes, I think so. Not only does it support them, but the Vinny features(Load our Last Save/Souls, Flight Club, Random PC Game) and Breaking Brad are great. Unprofessional Fridays varies, but is usually pretty fun. Solo content has never really interested me all that much, but people seem to really like Spookin with Scoops and Bombasticas can be interesting. Jar Time can also be pretty interesting. There's a lot of great stuff in the back log, and while I expect there'll be a lull since all the features have basically ended, I'm sure it'll pick up again.

Try a month and see if you like it, go from there.

#5 Edited by csl316 (7949 posts) -

Yeah, there's hours and hours of stuff and most of it is pretty cool. Not to mention a bunch of backlog Endurance Runs under different names (Bradley May Cry, Backflip n' Bioforge, Phantasmagoria, Doom II).

It's worth it.

(btw, Jar Time is a Q&A with Jeff)

#6 Posted by AMyggen (2447 posts) -

Yes, it's worth it! Aside from what the others have mentioned, there's a huge backlog of Premium content. Most of my favourite GB content is Premium.

I think HD videos are also locked behind a paywall?

#7 Posted by Abendlaender (2730 posts) -

Yes! More than worth it. For 35$ you get at the very, very, very least 2 hours of content each week (UPF). That's about 104 hours per year, not even counting any other premium stuff like Breaking Brad or Load our Last Save/Souls.

#8 Edited by onarum (1989 posts) -

Well I think it is worth it, and even 50 bucks is not that much for an entire year really, that's like 4 bucks a month, so $35 is definitely a good deal.

#9 Edited by Hector (3352 posts) -

It is definitely worth it you are going to get great content such as Jeff's Jar Time and Unprofessional Fridays which are great way to end a long week of work.

#10 Posted by Ezakael (909 posts) -

I was also pretty hesitant to sign up for the premium as well but after watching UPF, Load our Last Souls, and Breaking Brad I feel I've already gotten my money's worth and I still have till September until I need to renew. I'd say $35 is more than worth the content if you can afford it.

#11 Edited by Y2Ken (1041 posts) -

I think it's completely worth it.@truthtellah pretty much covered it. I've been with the site since day one, so I wanted to support them, and ended up subbing the day before the second Big Live Live Show. I've never once regretted being on it. Unprofessional Fridays is consistently one of my favourite shows, plus they've got so much other great premium content going on right now.

A few of the shows have just ended, so it'll be interesting to see what comes next - but at the very least you'll be able to watch all the stuff they've already done, which is a huge amount of fantastic content. A lot of my absolute favourite features (such as Drew's North Korea special, the old Random PC Games with Vinny and Dave, or their Pathfinder series which is still ongoing) have been premium ones.

Plus you can have the site all lovely and ad-free (and do so without resorting to means which draw money away from the guys). So yeah, if you can afford it and enjoy their other content already, I'd say definitely go for it!

#12 Posted by endoworks (270 posts) -

@r3beld0gg: I think everyone else had already said it well but the premium stuff is the best content on the site... If you have the money I couldn't recommend it enough

#13 Posted by e30bmw (356 posts) -

A month is only 5 bucks. Get that and see if you like it. Actually I'm still on my monthly sub, I should upgrade to save myself some money haha.

#14 Posted by pyrodactyl (1852 posts) -

Someone should put together some sort of short best of video ad for premium content.

Don't shake the baby, Jeff's creeper cam, that terrible swat game, the SNES party, Phantasmagoria, Drew goes to north korea, Doom 2: cacodad edition with Brad Muir, Burn cycle and a bunch of spooking with scoops/ unprofessional friday moments

#15 Edited by R3belD0gg (72 posts) -

I went ahead and did the single month. I wanted to wait and do the year and order a shirt at the same time, but I can't in good conscience right now. BTW, the sound that plays after you subscribe scared the ever loving monkey shit out of me lol.

#16 Edited by Mister_V (1170 posts) -

@e30bmw said:

A month is only 5 bucks. Get that and see if you like it. Actually I'm still on my monthly sub, I should upgrade to save myself some money haha.

This is a good idea. Pay for a month and see if you like it. But you say you are already enjoying the free content, and premium is even better. So it's a fair bet you are going to like it.

#17 Posted by Saga (177 posts) -

Definitely worth it (specially when they have the $35 sale). Most of the best content is free.

#18 Posted by Saga (177 posts) -

I mean most of their best content is not free

#19 Edited by AMyggen (2447 posts) -

@r3beld0gg: For a quick overview of some of the best Premium content, check out the OP of the NeoGAF thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=685605

#20 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

I was premium for a year and didn't think it was worth it. Depends how important it is to you supporting the site as the content is mostly more videos of them playing games. I miss the times when that stuff was all free.

YouTube player being put behind a paywall is annoying too, that makes me not want to give over money because seriously, you paywall that?

#21 Posted by Clonedzero (4036 posts) -

Honestly, its pretty damn hit or miss. Sure i loved Load our last Souls, and Breaking Brad is amazing.

Unprofessional fridays? Well i havent been able to watch an entire "episode" of that in quite some time, just cus how bad it is most of the time. I'm not entertained by watching the guys open packages from sweden and complain about the weird candy they got for free for half a god damn hour every time. It has its moments but its mostly boring and uninteresting to watch. I don't have the patience to watch 2 and a half hours of them playing bland random crap and opening mail to find the funny 5 minute bit.

#22 Edited by Hunter5024 (5503 posts) -

I think that monthly is worth it, but I haven't tried an annual subscription.

#23 Posted by e30bmw (356 posts) -

Unprofessional fridays? Well i havent been able to watch an entire "episode" of that in quite some time, just cus how bad it is most of the time. I'm not entertained by watching the guys open packages from sweden and complain about the weird candy they got for free for half a god damn hour every time. It has its moments but its mostly boring and uninteresting to watch. I don't have the patience to watch 2 and a half hours of them playing bland random crap and opening mail to find the funny 5 minute bit.

I think you're crazy. I'd rather watch UF than just about anything else on here.

#24 Posted by Clonedzero (4036 posts) -

@e30bmw said:

@clonedzero said:

I think you're crazy. I'd rather watch UF than just about anything else on here.

I think you're the crazy one. UF usually consists of them mucking about in random crappy games, half of them being unity engine crap or early access stuff, then they go "huh, well that was weird". Move onto the next game, which ends up being the same thing. Then they open a package, eat weird candy and go "huh, well this salty candy was weird". Then HOPEFULLY something funny happens. Then it ends. Thats just about every unprofessional fridays for the past few months. Pretty lame.

#25 Edited by afabs515 (1000 posts) -

I got it for Load Our Last Souls. Since getting the membership, I've discovered Unprofessional Fridays, which tends to be hit or miss for me, but when it hits, it's amazing. Also, these guys do great work that I believe in, so sending them $5/month to do it seems okay to me.

#26 Posted by jimmyfenix (3800 posts) -

So much back catalog! Psi ops!

#28 Posted by weegieanawrench (1934 posts) -

Totally worth it, for all the content you have right now, and all the shenanigans in the future. UPF is usually a blast, and random PC game, Spookin' With Scoops, and Load our Last Save are so much fun. Also, premium chat is best chat.

#29 Posted by mageemagoo (135 posts) -

I really wish there was more Jar Time. That and the powerbombcast are my favorite parts of being a premium member.

#30 Posted by Zacagawea (1577 posts) -

@sooty: I feel like most sites that don't just post trailers do that. I'm sure the cut they get from YouTube ads isn't enough to support the site.

#31 Posted by Zrais (142 posts) -

Without a doubt.

#32 Posted by csl316 (7949 posts) -

So much back catalog! Psi ops!

Damn right, Psi Ops.

#33 Posted by Gamer_152 (14049 posts) -

I think the premium content is some of the most entertaining stuff the site produces and while you'd be paying $50 upfront it's not actually that much when you consider it's stretched out over a year. If you're not going to be buying a premium subscription however, I'd really encourage you not to hurt the site by browsing it with AdBlocker. It does make a difference.

#34 Posted by PandaBear (1295 posts) -

People agonise over spending about $1 a week on this site but will buy all kinds of shit they don't need or could do without. It's bizarre.

I subscribe just to chip in for the running costs really. I rarely if ever use the premium features. But I think it's worth it.

#35 Edited by OhBabes (6 posts) -

Hey - I'm in roughly the same boat as the OP. I think I'm going to get a subscription in the next few days, I've just cancelled my Xbox Live subscription (I don't have enough time to actually play most games, that's why I'm on GB so much -> the Quick Looks let me keep up with new games without having to buy/rent them) so I guess I can plough that saved money into GB.....

I was hoping someone could clarify on iTunes for me -> our internet connection is sometimes a bit sketchy and doesn't stream that well. So, it'd suit me very nicely to set iTunes downloading the GB videos and then come back later and watch them without buffering issues. I can see from the screengrabs on the GB account upgrade page that it looks like the Quick Looks are released on to iTunes for subscribers as a video podcast - can anyone confirm that that is how it works? Is the same method used for other videos, e.g. Load Our Last Souls, Breaking Brad?

It'd be a huge plus for me to be able to download everything I want to iTunes and then watch later on my laptop or iPhone.....if you can't do it through iTunes is there any other way GB provide to download the videos?

#36 Posted by Metzo_Paino (318 posts) -

If you want to support GiantBomb but can't afford the Premium Subscription, (though I think it is easily worth it), disable adblocker on the site.

#37 Posted by Fattony12000 (6940 posts) -

Are we gonna get that discount on premium accounts this month @rorie? I'm down to buy two or three years if you hit us up with them dankiest and swoliest dealz.

#38 Posted by billymagnum (704 posts) -

if you cant see paying $50 then youve already made your decision. you shouldnt need your arm twisted

#39 Posted by VeggiesBro (117 posts) -

Being a fairly new premium member to the site myself (closing in on a year now). I totally agree that the added content is worth it. I'm seriously looking forward to Load our Last Souls, however as I am playing through Dark Souls right now (at Sen's Fortress now) I don't want to spoil anything for myself.

Having said that, if you aren't sure and/or can't afford it, then my recommendation is to hold off until you can afford it.

#40 Posted by Gunslinger0130 (223 posts) -

I picked up a yearly sub so I could watch Drew's Korea stuff live but haven't re-subbed. To be honest I miss it and feel like a total asshole for not continuing to support these guys considering how much of their content I consume, I'll def be picking up a new subscription when I get back from shredding Bali in March.

#41 Edited by tread311 (352 posts) -

The podcast and the Premium Content are the things I like the most. Not as into a lot of the Quick Looks and such anymore.

#42 Posted by RazielCuts (2900 posts) -

Just to play devils advocate here and show a perspective from another side (one not so gushing). My name is RazielCuts, followed Jeff, Brad et al since the On the Spot days and was a Gold Sub for 2 years. I’ve been clean since I let my sub expire in Dec of last year.

Money aside, as relatively over a year $50 is not all that much, you have to ask yourself 'Is this content for me?' Over the past year I've come to the conclusion that its not. Maybe I'm just getting older but it's how I view Steam now as well, 'Yeah its £3 but will I actually play it and is it worth my time if I do?’ Same goes for GB content.

I started my sub with Jeff's Jar Time videos (which are few and far between these days) and then other greats came along like Load Our Last Save, Random PC Game, Pathfinder. Though these have all seemed to have died of dysentery.

I liked the premise of Unprofessional Friday - the guys sitting down, playing whatev’s, giving stuff a go for the first time, just hanging out. And I don’t mean to be too dickish and I know it’s called ‘Unprofessional’ but do they have to take that literally? Its usually between 15 - 45 minutes late and just seems so cobbled together at the last minute, like 'Oh shit, it's Friday?! Fuuuuccck.' Most of the time the guys don’t seem like they want to be there. I don't know what I want from it but it just feels mostly amateurish these days and not in the endearing way it once was. There have been some great moments on this show and out of all the premium stuff on offer at the moment it has been my favourite, just mostly the bad 'episodes' outweigh the good.

The most prominent of the Premium stuff of late - Dota, Dark Souls, just hasn’t been for me. Kudos to them though. They're playing the numbers, playing the games with the most rabid of fan bases and putting those videos behind a paywall, its smart business. Unfortunately for me because those games are so hardcore I've never had the time to get into them so I have no clue whats going on, while the chat talks in some alien language, especially with Dota (It's English but the words put together don't make any sense?). I was actually surprised seeing Spelunking with Scoops wasn’t Premium and thought it was an error at first because that seems like another series ripe for Premium.

If I’m sounding overly cynical I don’t mean to be, I was a bit miffed at first ‘cause its quite hard being told something you’ve liked for years ‘isn’t for you’ anymore but I’ve realised I’m okay with that now. The QL’s and Bombcast is enough GB for me at the moment.

My main message in this TL;DR segment is figure out if what they have on offer in Premium is for you and if it is then just go for it, because when I did enjoy the features it was pretty great with some magically comedic moments.

#43 Posted by Winsord (1146 posts) -

@ohbabes said:

It'd be a huge plus for me to be able to download everything I want to iTunes and then watch later on my laptop or iPhone.....if you can't do it through iTunes is there any other way GB provide to download the videos?

I've got no idea if you can actually do that through iTunes or not (I don't think so?), but premium members are able to download all videos from the site (even trailers) individually. On every video page there's a "Download" button that'll let you download the video in four different qualities: mobile/medium/high/HD. I've actually been watching pretty much everything this way since they switched away from the Flow Player back in the day as I've always had issues with the new ones.

#44 Posted by OhBabes (6 posts) -

@winsord: Thanks - that's really all I need to know. If I can download and watch later on my laptop then I'm all set. I can try and move videos over to the iPhone/Vita but even if that doesn't work I'm pretty sure I'll get enough use out of the subscription.

#45 Edited by Rorie (2523 posts) -

Are we gonna get that discount on premium accounts this month @rorie? I'm down to buy two or three years if you hit us up with them dankiest and swoliest dealz.

I hope so. The last time we did a sale was before the site redesign, though, so we need to work out some stuff to make everything work again.

Staff
#46 Edited by PimblyCharles (1282 posts) -

I mainly pay the premium fee to support GB, and see the other premium content as a plus. Unprofessional Fridays is usually a blast and Load our Last Souls was worth this latest renewall fee its self.

#47 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4513 posts) -

@r3beld0gg said:

So I've been a fan of the Bombcast for 6-8 months now, I guess. Lately I've been watching the hell out of Quick Looks and stuff on the site. I was going to get the premium subscription here just to support Giant Bomb. At the moment, I can't really do a yearly membership, so I'm going to wait until I've got the spare change

My question is, is the premium stuff worth it? These guys seem to give away all of the really good stuff for free. I would subscribe just to support the site, but I'm curious about what you get as a member. $50 a year kinda seems like a lot. The subscription page lists Breaking Brad and something about jars. The ad thing is a non-issue. I use Adblocker, never seen an ad on GB, sorry. Other than that it just says "Exclusive Content" and "Throwback Coverage." I'm not sure what that is.

As I said, I'll get the membership just because I enjoy the free content so much and I want to support the site. But I'd feel better about the $50 if somebody could sell me on it.

So, premium members, is it worth $50? (Okay, $35 if you count the credit.)

It depends; how interested are you in watching dudes play video games? I'd say Load Our Last Souls has been the best premium feature on the site, and I hate the idea of watching other people play video games. And that "something about Jars" is actually Jar Time. It's a bi-weekly Q&A with Jeff Gerstmann that he does from home. It's probably the only time (or one of the extremely rare times) he gets "serious" for want of a better word. Like answering questions about where he thinks micro-transactions will go or how to combat piracy and what not. It's actually a lot better than it sounds. Dude can be pretty insightful when he wants to be.

Aside from that? Giant Bomb Unplugged has been amazing. It's another bi-weekly feature where Vinny, Brad, Ian, Drew, and Dave get together and play a session of Pathfinder (it's like D&D) while Matthew "Boss of Bosses" Rorie DMs. It's definitely worth watching for V-Bomb alone.

#48 Edited by Vuud (1943 posts) -

If budget is a concern, I'd definitely give up a $60 game for a year subscription.

Right now I'm waiting to see if there's a sale.

#49 Posted by Capum15 (4789 posts) -

Just gonna echo some other folks in the thread, Load Our Last Souls and Pathfinder / GB Unplugged were easily my favorite pieces of content. Vinny better damn do a Dark Souls 2 one. I need my fix.

Also, Unprofessional Fridays was something I never thought or cared about, but damn if I don't look forward to it each week now. Last one was gold. Terrible, terrible gold.

Also also, all the older stuff like Random PC Game is amazing too (Phantasmagoria, Blade Runner, etc).

But it depends on your tastes. Would you enjoy Vinny playing Dark Souls while Rorie and Ian commentate? There are a few "Best of Giantbomb" videos by TurboMan that focus a lot on that, here is the first, I believe. Would you enjoy some GB dudes playing D&D? If you go back further, would Drew / Dave / Vinny playing random, old PC games be interesting?

I haven't really caught Breaking Brad so I can't really input on it. Again, just think about these, and decide if they're for you / worth your time or not. It has been for me.

#50 Posted by OKJT (14 posts) -

Do a month, browse the older stuff, and see for yourself if it's worth it. I like premium because I feel like I get to know the Bomb Crew's personalities and tastes a bit more closely.