#1 Posted by christopherson329 (210 posts) -

Do I need to play the portable games in the kingdom hearts series to prepare for 3?

#2 Edited by Hunter5024 (5541 posts) -

I have not played Birth By Sleep or Dream Drop Distance, but I have played 358/2 Days and I can't imagine that possibly coming up in the new one since it added basically nothing to the world or plot (also its really bad and it was the direct reason I did not play the other two).

Then again, I wouldn't have thought Chain of Memories would tie into the main series either, since they even go as far as to erase Sora's memories of the events in that game. Then all the organization 13 stuff ended up playing a huge part in all the games after that, so whose to say. We'll have to wait and see.

#3 Edited by Petiew (1330 posts) -

From what I understand, yes. I didn't get to the end of Dream Drop distance but it seems like it'll lead directly into the events of KH3. The story of KH3 will probably revolve around the events in Birth by Sleep as well, since Dream Drop distance and the KH2 ending heavily hints at it.

If you don't have any knowledge of those two games at all I feel like Kingdom Hearts 3 will be even more incomprehensible than the series usually is.

#4 Posted by Blommer4 (191 posts) -

I would actually recommend just watching a story recap (I recommend GTs (gametrailers.com), it is actually very good). Liking all the games from the franchize is really hard because a lot of them are very different, but if you want to understand the whole story watching story recap OR playing them is something you should do (The story is actually still a mess and kind of badly presented though, but boy oh boy do I love the shit out of that franchize nonetheless!).

#5 Posted by YI_Orange (1128 posts) -

Weird, I don't remember making this thread.

#6 Posted by JackSukeru (5903 posts) -

@hunter5024 said:

I have not played Birth By Sleep or Dream Drop Distance, but I have played 358/2 Days and I can't imagine that possibly coming up in the new one since it added basically nothing to the world or plot (also its really bad and it was the direct reason I did not play the other two).

Since then they've sort of hinted that Xion (the character that game revolved around, who was pointless because the game ends with everyone forgetting about her (which they had to do because it was a prequel) (the whole thing was just super dumb)) will eventually be remembered and "saved" along with the rest of the crew that had bad stuff happen to them in the prequels. She briefly shows up in D3's intro, so I'm thinking that KH3 will be a massive, tie up all the lose ends of the last few games, MGS4 style, and it will be awesome glorious wonderdumb!

As someone who's played every Kingdom Hearts game except for Re:Coded, I'd say that the events of Birth by Sleep are very important, and the events of Dream Drop Distance lead directly into 3, even going so far as to set up what the main conflict will be. I can't say whether it'd be worth to try and play through both of them, but I think that the Gametrailers story summation could probably serve as an alternative.

Honestly, I can't imagine what the people who hasn't played one of these games since 2 will think of 3. I guess seeing their reactions will be part of the fun.

#7 Edited by christopherson329 (210 posts) -
#8 Posted by Hunter5024 (5541 posts) -

@jacksukeru said:

@hunter5024 said:

Since then they've sort of hinted that Xion (the character that game revolved around, who was pointless because the game ends with everyone forgetting about her (which they had to do because it was a prequel) (the whole thing was just super dumb)) will eventually be remembered and "saved" along with the rest of the crew that had bad stuff happen to them in the prequels. She briefly shows up in D3's intro, so I'm thinking that KH3 will be a massive, tie up all the lose ends of the last few games, MGS4 style, and it will be awesome glorious wonderdumb!

As someone who's played every Kingdom Hearts game except for Re:Coded, I'd say that the events of Birth by Sleep are very important, and the events of Dream Drop Distance lead directly into 3, even going so far as to set up what the main conflict will be. I can't say whether it'd be worth to try and play through both of them, but I think that the Gametrailers story summation could probably serve as an alternative.

Honestly, I can't imagine what the people who hasn't played one of these games since 2 will think of 3. I guess seeing their reactions will be part of the fun.

Man. Mannnnnn. I remember when I didn't find Kingdom Hearts exhausting.