#1 Edited by joshwent (2892 posts) -

So, I'm finally playing Assassin's Creed (on the PC), and man, it's a "press any key"-a-thon. From the menus, to the Desmond interactions, to the cutscene 'glitches', I feel like I'm almost pressing as many random keys to do stuff as intentional ones.

not these glitches, thankfully

Basically, it got me thinking... do people have a specific "any key"? I usually hit "J" for kicks because, hey, my name's Josh, and I'm special. But in this game the prompts pop up so often that I'm just sort of mashing wherever my fingers are, and it feels kinda weird.

I also noticed that I get paranoid and sometimes don't really trust the game that "any key" really means any key. Some buttons on a keyboard just seem wrong to hit in a game. Spacebar, Enter, oh yeah, nice and official. Semi-colon, Tilde... might as well just hit Alt F4. Or maybe you're rebellious and into that kind of thing. Go ahead, hit a Page Up, or why not just tap a 3... on the Num Pad!!!

So, what do you duders do? Specific "any key", or do you just go buck wild on that thing?

#2 Posted by TyCobb (2023 posts) -

I just slam my hand on the keyboard and call it good. I don't have time to decide what key to press.

#3 Posted by TruthTellah (9740 posts) -

I'm a traditionalist; so, I usually go with Enter or Spacebar. Gets the job done.

#4 Posted by Rick_Fingers (525 posts) -

Caps Lock, because fuck your rules, man!

#5 Posted by Pepsiman (2775 posts) -

Master race Scroll Lock. If I don't give it a purpose in life, who will!?

#6 Posted by Slag (6372 posts) -

I don't think I do actually, I just hit one at random. Whatever is close by to whatever I just typed. Probably ends up being some letter key.

I definitely consciously avoid hitting the Windows Key, Escape, Caps Lock or Backspace when I do though.

#7 Edited by IrrelevantJohn (1168 posts) -

Alt-F4

#8 Edited by Knochenkotzer (18 posts) -

I have another question. Did anyone ever have that "press any key" prompt and it didn't work? :P

#9 Edited by IAmADwagon (75 posts) -

I used to type "any key" just to let the game know how witty I was. I did that enough that muscle memory makes me go straight for "a" now.

#10 Posted by Brackynews (4329 posts) -

Enter, because it is the "en"-iest key. :3

#11 Posted by SunBroZak (2090 posts) -

I usually just click the mouse. Too lazy to press a proper key.

#13 Posted by Twisted (299 posts) -

I press W, Space or the left mouse button. That's where my fingers usually are when playing games so either one of those.

#14 Edited by bacongames (3965 posts) -

I actually haven't thought of it but I'm sure it's boring like space or enter usually. Or somethings I jab at the lower third of the keys.

#15 Posted by TobbRobb (5522 posts) -

I think I subconcsiously press enter or space. But I also dont think about it, so could be anything.

#16 Posted by sixnahalf (51 posts) -

I press spacebar hahaha even with my kid he always press spacebar because it is the bigger one and very accessible.

#17 Posted by dudeglove (10797 posts) -

I show that keyboard who's boss.

#18 Posted by Canteu (2968 posts) -

Usually A on my controller... good old PC games.

#19 Posted by probablytuna (4472 posts) -

Usually Spaaaaaaaaaaaaaaace. If not, it's Enter key or if I want to put in that extra effort I'll go ESC.

#20 Posted by Danteveli (1356 posts) -

space bar

#21 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (6480 posts) -

The start button on my 360 controller....... Yes, I know. I'm a bad person.

#22 Posted by Scampbell (504 posts) -

DJOGBNGLBKJGF CBJKGNBÆKLDNJGF

#23 Posted by LackingSaint (2105 posts) -

I think most people go with spacebar. I'll always try to left-mouseclick but if that doesn't work i'll space it up.

#24 Posted by Azteck (7416 posts) -

I just press whatever is closest at the time.

#25 Edited by diz (1065 posts) -

I use this one.

At least it's not as confusing and frustrating as this genuine Windows 95 error message:

#26 Posted by Nictel (2683 posts) -

Probably spacebar or WASD

#27 Posted by kagato (1160 posts) -

Usually Enter, its my go to "any" key

#28 Posted by Tennmuerti (8789 posts) -

I deliberately take my hands off the keyboard, extend the index finger (of either hand) and bring it down at random, from above like.

It's a perfect process.

#29 Posted by Soberdude (15 posts) -

Usually the Up Arrow key or W.

#30 Posted by HellknightLeon (489 posts) -

The Windows key is a good staple for me... If not that... the 'other' Windows key works just as well.

#31 Edited by Video_Game_King (36566 posts) -

I press the left mouse button because FUCK YOUR RULES, MAN.

#32 Posted by Cramsy (1239 posts) -

@pepsiman said:

Master race Scroll Lock. If I don't give it a purpose in life, who will!?

easy there sicko

#33 Posted by Splodge (2308 posts) -

I form an intergalactic space union and blast my keyboard from space with nuclear weapons.

#34 Edited by SarcasticMudcrab (259 posts) -

When I played Assassins creed I used my face on the keyboard mostly.

#35 Posted by face15 (1375 posts) -

DAT SPACEBAR

#36 Edited by Andorski (5475 posts) -

"Press any key to enter"

Hits ESC

#37 Posted by Brendan (8876 posts) -

I press the enter key, because of deep subconscious superstition that has lead to irrational distrust of pressing any other key.

#38 Posted by Karkarov (3387 posts) -

@diz said:

I use this one.

At least it's not as confusing and frustrating as this genuine Windows 95 error message:

Same. I get good use out of the any key. That error is also hilarious.

#39 Edited by hermes (1907 posts) -

Mostly Space, because its the one where my thumb is...

#40 Edited by Veektarius (5630 posts) -

I'll usually click. But ESC is my second choice.

#41 Edited by Gruebacca (757 posts) -

I press enter, usually. No fancy hipster nonsense here.