Profanity in Thread Titles

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By mike

I've been thinking a lot about this lately.  I don't know why, but it sort of bugs me when people use profanity in the titles of their threads.  I think it's one thing to allow a little cussing here and there, but it seems sort of extreme for users to take that freedom and go as far as making posts with the word "FUCK" in capital letters right in the title.  It just seems irresponsible to me...after all, I'm sure these posters could find a much more productive and less offensive way of expressing their opinions.  The way I look at it, every new thread on this forum is potentially the first one a new member will read, so I take that into account when replying to threads or creating my own.  It's just too bad that more people don't follow a similar ethic. 

Whenever I see a thread like I described above, I just sigh in bewilderment and move on.  In short, I think that just because you can do something, doesn't necessarily mean you should.  I'm not going so far as to say that profanity in post titles is going to be disallowed...far from it.  My position is that people should moderate themselves and just not do it, but you all know how that goes. 

What are your thoughts on this? 

Robocop111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Robocop111

Some can be very misleading, for example their was one forum entitle EA Fucks me EA Fucks me Hard

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By HandsomeDead

I don't mind it, but like everything, when it's exploited, it gets ruined and a lot of people are just swearing simply to get some attention. Personally, i'd like to see it cut down but if it's just used conversationally or something, then fine.

Discorsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By Discorsi

Yea I agree.  Whenever I see a post like that i sigh with disapprovalal but click on it anyways xd.  It jus makes me come into the topic feeling that the topic is just going to be be some joke topic or someones strongly fanboyish rant.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By mike

Discorsi - deleted your own post?  (That's an annoying bug by the way - when a user deletes their own post, it says "Deleted by the mods")

Discorsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Discorsi

yes i did.  Also there seems to be another bug as I clicked delete by accident and i pressed Cancel.  However it deleted my post anyways >.>.  I'm on a Mac with Firefox 3

Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By Black_Rose

I dont see anything wrong when it's a thread like "Fuck yeah im going to an AC/DC concert" because it sounds like the creator is exited about something. But when it's something like Cartman's thread it gets really weird and uninviting

SSbabel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By SSbabel

Well your a mod and you dont like, so do something about it and implament some rules.

weltal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By weltal

I don't really care about profanity. It's just not something that bothers me, so seeing it in the thread title or in the ensuing posts, it's all the same to me.

Shawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10  Edited By Shawn
Robocop said:
"Some can be very misleading, for example their was one forum entitle EA Fucks me EA Fucks me Hard"
Robocop speaks the truth.

I mean is that kind of title really necessary?
twenty0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By twenty0ne

Please don't censor us anymore. Please?

Because first it's no spam, than it's no swearing in titles, then it's no swearing at all.

I can see where this is heading.
mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By mike
twenty0ne said:
"Please don't censor us anymore. Please?
Because first it's no spam, than it's no swearing in titles, then it's no swearing at all.
I can see where this is heading."
If the intent was to ban cussing, there wouldn't be a post like this about it, it would just be done.  Try not to be so negative about everything.
Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By Demyx

I can't say I've really seen that often, so no problems here.

Discorsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Discorsi
twenty0ne said:

"
I believe that type of faulty reasoning is called slippery slope.
Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#15  Edited By Black_Rose
twenty0ne said:

"
I think he's just giving his opinion as a GB user, not going all "mod" and making new rules and such.
HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By HandsomeDead
twenty0ne said:

"
You're just being a stresshead. Spam has no place anywhere and swearing in titles can be a problem when it's used like demonstrated in the thread. Obviously though, when swearing is banned completely than I will be getting the fuck out of dodge because that's when the Big Brother effect is on.
Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Systech

Yeah, I think we should attempt to show a little class when we are posting on the forums, but it's not too big of a deal for me to whine about it. There really shouldn't be any difference in having a topic with a swear word in the title or posting a reply with a swear word, but I feel like there is. If it is totally necessary to have 'Fuck' in your title, then it should be okay.

atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18  Edited By atejas

When I first opened this I honestly thought it was going to be a rule that you can't.......

in any case, it depends, if it's something like 'FUCK *insert company/concept/game here*, then yeah, it's pretty pointless, but like Cartman's recent topic, the 'EA fucks me hard' thing, I dont mind it too much.
Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Endogene
Shawn said:
"Robocop said:
"Some can be very misleading, for example their was one forum entitle EA Fucks me EA Fucks me Hard"
Robocop speaks the truth.

I mean is that kind of title really necessary?"
  Actually the person who posted that was fucked over pretty hard by EA so that title was accurate
Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#20  Edited By Hamz

People only put swear words into their topic titles for one reason, to attract attention to themselves and their topics. Deny it all you want but when you see a topic with a swear word in it you get the urge to click and view it and see what its all about. I personally have nothing against swearing but i've never seen the point of putting swears in a topic title, it not only makes us all look negative to new users browsing the forums but its not needed really, is it?

Its even more annoying than people who censor their swear words with **** or %%%% etc...

Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#21  Edited By Gunner
Hamz said:
"People only put swear words into their topic titles for one reason, to attract attention to themselves and their topics. Deny it all you want but when you see a topic with a swear word in it you get the urge to click and view it and see what its all about. I personally have nothing against swearing but i've never seen the point of putting swears in a topic title, it not only makes us all look negative to new users browsing the forums but its not needed really, is it?

Its even more annoying than people who censor their swear words with **** or %%%% etc..."
totally agree with you, i see no reason to put curse words in titles unless you are either trying to attract attention or are really emotional about the topics.

titles like "fuck yeah I'm going to an AC/DC concert" are fine because he is just trying to express his excitement, but when people put something like "EA fucks me EA fucks me hard" it just gets annoying.
serbsta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By serbsta

Agreed with this mate, it also looks bad for new members coming in.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#23  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
twenty0ne said:

"
He's not talking about censoring us, he's talking about us censoring ourselves, which is a perfectly reasonable request. I don't think I've seen a single topic with the word fuck in it that couldn't have been worded in a more informative way.
Bennyishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

#24  Edited By Bennyishere

I welcome profanity everywhere, but it can be ridiculous at times. I don't see it as a big problem, though.

KindGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By KindGalaxy

I tend to ignore threads like that, unless I look at the forum it's in; like the EA Fuck one and if it involves a game or concept I am interested in I'll take a peek, if it's a 'EA Fucks Me Hard' in the Madden 09 forum then I couldn't really care less.

Otacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Otacon

I completely agree. I tend not to read a thread with bad language in the title because I know that the actual post will be just as immature and unimaginative as its title.

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#27  Edited By kush

I agree for the most part. I think there might be proper ways to use profanity in thread tiles (not that I've seen one yet), but everytime I see a thread like Cartman's "EA Fucks Me, FUCKS ME HARD" thread it just annoys me. I can't even be bothered to check out a thread like that even if it possibly contained the greatest discussion ever found on an internet board.

OGCartman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#28  Edited By OGCartman

My thread keeps being brough up so my question is:
Are you guys that discusted or offended with "EA Fucks Me....Fucks Me HARD"?
I dont see absolutely anything wrong with it.

Robocop said:

Misleading? It was in the Warhammer Online forum...
Not misleading in the slightest
xruntime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#29  Edited By xruntime

I don't mind profanity so much as bad English. There are too many people here who can't take the time to capitalize their sentences, use proper punctuation, proper grammar, good sentence structure, spell correctly, and maybe even throw in an advanced vocabulary word or two.

HazBazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By HazBazz

I don't really see the difference between swearing in the thread title and swearing in the post itsself. As long as the user doesnt go overboard, I don't see it as a problem anywhere

xplodedd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

#31  Edited By xplodedd

i dont mind it.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#32  Edited By Jayge_

I don't think there's anything wrong with it, as long as it's not "oh fuck this shit! this goddamn game sucks!". To bar swearing from thread titles would be an almost complete contradiction of the GiantBomb freedom creed, to me. Of course, I might be a little biased having an old thread called "fuck spiders"; but I didn't think there was anything wrong with that one o.0

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#33  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

I agree, although I thin k we should be free to say what we want to say on this site some people don't seem to quite know when their language crosses the border from casual to excessive. Perhaps some time in the future though the guys running the site will introduce a togglable sweat filter, not that I'm saying it should really be their responsibility.

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By brukaoru

I agree that the use of swear words could be much better substituted for other words, and people could better express themselves without resorting to profanity, but the fact of the matter is that people who use profanity like that generally communicate that way all the time. It's practically become ingrained whenever they speak, so asking someone to stop saying profanity is more difficult than it sounds.

Now the issue comes about, yes, there may be newcomers that come here and get a bad impression of the forums if they see profanity in a thread title. If they are going to be bothered by that though, wouldn't they also be bothered by posts with swear words anyway? I do think that more than one swear word in a title is excessive, though. I don't think swear words should be censored but it would be nice to see it a bit toned down in thread titles.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#35  Edited By Willy105

Profanity should be kept to a minimum. Especially on thread titles.

Giantkitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Giantkitty

Well it does help me filter out stuff. If I see an all caps "... FUCK ..." and it's one of those users, I just don't click on it and move on. I've learned they're almost always a let down.

Like the hamburger topics, "rate the user" topics, and "this or that" topics, they're not really that bad if used in moderation, it's okay there's a title here and there with swear words. But I don't want the forums to be a place where every subject line is a caps swear fest or full of those "clever" innuendos, you know, "Boy that Madden game is HARD, how LONG will you be playing it?" The last time I laughed at something like that, my age wasn't in the teens yet. If overused, just about any word loses its meaning.

Also, have a reason to do so, I could see myself maybe doing it if Red Earth finally came to consoles, not announcing when the third Halo 4 expansion pack is out.

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Randolph

I post in plenty of forums that allow cursing, just not in thread titles, it helps make the forum more work safe.  It's a small favor to ask of the community.

Thanatos465

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Thanatos465

its not a huge problem and there just words

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Randolph
Thanatos465 said:
"its not a huge problem and there just words"
Words are the farthest thing from not being a huge problem.
Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Player1

I agree. The FUCK Crapcom thread always really bothered me. And it always seemed to appear near the top. Like you said, a new user could get the wrong impression about it. 

Damonation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Damonation

What about putting up a profanity filter that we can turn on and off, it worked for the Off-Topic forums?

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By BiggerBomb
Black_Rose said:
"I dont see anything wrong when it's a thread like "Fuck yeah im going to an AC/DC concert" because it sounds like the creator is exited about something. But when it's something like Cartman's thread it gets really weird and uninviting"

IT'S TRUE! FUCK YEAH!
OGCartman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#43  Edited By OGCartman

Dont give me this "new users will be offended" BS
Because whats the difference than swearing in the title than in the text?

My thread keeps being brought up so my question is:
I dont see anything wrong with it, but if it is, tell me ;)

Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Endogene
Cartman said:
"Dont give me this "new users will be offended" BS
Because whats the difference than swearing in the title than in the text?

My thread keeps being brought up so my question is:
I dont see anything wrong with it, but if it is, tell me ;)

"
Also the content of your opening post clearly said how the fucked you hard, and they did.
Lucky you they fixed it afterwards.
DragonKore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By DragonKore
xruntime said:
"I don't mind profanity so much as bad English. There are too many people here who can't take the time to capitalize their sentences, use proper punctuation, proper grammar, good sentence structure, spell correctly, and maybe even throw in an advanced vocabulary word or two."
Bad grammar is the fucking devil.