Professional Wednesdays?

• 67 results
nail1080

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Has this been cancelled or something? Haven't seen it in 2 weeks or so or am I blind?

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

Cancelled. It's a maybe, possibly, probably not monthly thing now.

unequivocable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nail1080 Yeah they cancelled it as a weekly feature. I think in theory it might happen monthly, but no real update on that lately.

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

Scraped like Endurance Run

FunkasaurasRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Unprofessional Fridays ate it.

nail1080

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's a shame, it was my favourite livestream, ah well. What are they replacing it with? Doing anything extra or just less content/laziness?

FunkasaurasRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nail1080 said:

That's a shame, it was my favourite livestream, ah well. What are they replacing it with? Doing anything extra or just less content/laziness?

Just send a bunch of angry messages to @rorie and I'm sure they'll come up with something.

nail1080

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By nail1080

@funkasaurasrex said:

@nail1080 said:

Just send a bunch of angry messages to @rorie and I'm sure they'll come up with something.

nah I'm a non subscriber so no one will listen. Us non subscribers are just schmucks and if we miss the livestreams live we have to go to twitch or some stupid shit to watch livestream archives. I enjoyed the fact that Pro Wednesdays was available for all on the site, ah well...

RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@nail1080 said:

It seems to be just less content. Which has been the norm for a while.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@nail1080 said:

@funkasaurasrex said:

@nail1080 said:

nah I'm a non subscriber so no one will listen. Us non subscribers are just schmucks and if we miss the livestreams live we have to go to twitch or some stupid shit to watch livestream archives. I enjoyed the fact that Pro Wednesdays was available for all on the site, ah well...

Then behave like the schmucks you are are and bow to the almighty, master subscribers.

ElixirBronze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ElixirBronze
@rvone said:

@nail1080 said:

It seems to be just less content. Which has been the norm for a while.

It's kind of ironic that twitch streamers I subscribe to put out more content every week on their own, in their free time, than all of GB.

I know twitch streamers aren't busy running a website and reviewing games and whatever but still... funny.

bonbolapti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 2

It'll happen when there's a handful of new games out that are interesting enough to make a show like that worth while.

MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

More complaining about less content? Great.

nail1080

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No one is complaining, everyone has accepted it, so don't you worry!

Akyho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Akyho

@elixirbronze said:

It's kind of ironic that twitch streamers I subscribe to put out more content every week on their own, in their free time, than all of GB.

I know twitch streamers aren't busy running a website and reviewing games and whatever but still... funny.

You eliminate your argument entirely by that statement...and no its not funny.

Its a different bag....Twitch folks were going to do that anyways and just is happy enough to let you watch, so the only way for it to work is if we watch Jeff,Ryan, Brad,Patrick,Vinny,Drew,Dave (even after leaving) and Alex playing at home. Which with PS4 might be possible?!

So what you are saying is youd want another Endurance run....OH HE SAID IT! BAN HIM FOR SUGGESTING AN ENDURANCE RUN!

triviaman09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16  Edited By triviaman09

I understand that the staff is busy, but I do miss the Wednesday stream. I just want content :(

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By Milkman

They did say that they would fill the gap with other live streams like Bradley May Cry and other stuff like that.

Though that hasn't happened the first two weeks. We'll see.

flasaltine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can barely keep track of all the quick looks the past two weeks. Don't overload me with another live show.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#19  Edited By nightriff

Good, it was a poorly produced show, easily the worst of the 3 weekly streams, TNT isn't that far behind

SomberOwl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I can barely keep track of all the quick looks the past two weeks. Don't overload me with another live show.

Agreed. I could just not watch it, but not watching GB content is like some metaphor for having something and not utilizing it. Couldn't think of a good one.

nail1080

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Holy shit you're right, remind me not to watch anything you haven't watched, it just wouldn't be right.

flasaltine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By flasaltine

@nail1080 said:

@flacracker said:

Holy shit you're right, remind me not to watch anything you haven't watched, it just wouldn't be right.

I was actually making a joke about how there have been very little quick looks the past two weeks.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

Theoretically there's a show out there where the GameSpot staff wouldn't look like generic amateurs that were out of place, but Professional Wednesdays wasn't it.

And yeah the concept of a weekly releases show heading into the Summer drought wouldn't have lasted long.

ElixirBronze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By ElixirBronze

@akyho said:

@elixirbronze said:

You eliminate your argument entirely by that statement...and no its not funny.

Its a different bag....Twitch folks were going to do that anyways and just is happy enough to let you watch, so the only way for it to work is if we watch Jeff,Ryan, Brad,Patrick,Vinny,Drew,Dave (even after leaving) and Alex playing at home. Which with PS4 might be possible?!

So what you are saying is youd want another Endurance run....OH HE SAID IT! BAN HIM FOR SUGGESTING AN ENDURANCE RUN!

Can't tell if you're serious or not, but remember most twitch people have jobs too. Like I said, most stream in their free time and by themselves.

I don't think it's a different bag, twitch streamers play video games in their free time, giant bomb guys play games in their free time, only difference is twitch streamers stream it (duh). Today it's super easy to set up your PC for streaming (you can do it in like 10 mins), PS4 isn't really going to change anything in that regard.

However I will say most twitch streamers doesn't have families to take care of and obviously that's a huge (really huge) factor.

benpicko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know right! We should applaud them for removing content! It's great!

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

Giant bomb couldn't stand it's professional nature.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not enough games coming out me thinks

nail1080

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Giant Bomb is over-saturated with live shows. I would much prefer their efforts be put on something else imo.

'Effort'? HA! The whole point of all the livestreams is that they can produce a lot of content with fuck-all effort, they won't be producing any good unique things like TANG any more, so you should be lapping up all the effortless streams you can get

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"I am eager to watch hours and hours of content of you guys! But also you are lazy and dumb!"

ottoman673

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By ottoman673

It's like you guys didn't watch ILM or something.

That setup Vinny was making? Was so that they could roll into that room, and stream pretty much instantaneously. At any time. No fucks given, and without all the bullshit of running a control room or whatnot. Then on Jar Time Jeff mentioned more content was coming... but Vinny and Ryan have been making plans for E3, Patrick and Drew just got back from Iceland, Brad's a DOTA machine, and there just... isn't a lot coming out lately.

Besides, Professional Wednesdays was only good the last week it was on. The other weeks it was a sloppy mess and had too many Gamespot personalities who didn't click. I'd rather take BMC or Spookin' over that anyday

Akyho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Akyho
@elixirbronze said:

Can't tell if you're serious or not, but remember most twitch people have jobs too. Like I said, most stream in their free time and by themselves.

I don't think it's a different bag, twitch streamers play video games in their free time, giant bomb guys play games in their free time, only difference is twitch streamers stream it (duh). Today it's super easy to set up your PC for streaming (you can do it in like 10 mins), PS4 isn't really going to change anything in that regard.

However I will say most twitch streamers doesn't have families to take care of and obviously that's a huge (really huge) factor.

You were taking my suggestion over the Giantbomb crew streaming in their own time seriously? Remember the review process also goes into their free time meaning embargo, with the way their jobs are most games they play fall into that, and also it is their "Private Lives" they need a little bit of a haven from us.

Twitch streamers want to do it to escape their job. Giantbomb its already part of their job. That is a major difference, if they started streaming like Twitchers they will would be "working" almost 24/7 thats if they were allowed to stream review copies before embargo's were lifted.

Its not possible on a legalistic side and a personal side. If Jeff wasnt the kind of bachelor he is, he wouldn't be doing Jar time, Bombastica and the random live streams he does do when he gets bored.

angouri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@august said:

"I am eager to watch hours and hours of content of you guys! But also you are lazy and dumb!"

or rather:

"I want topay you to watch hours and hours of content of you guys! Problem is, you go days without any content! Guess I need to go see what ____*competitor site*_____ is doing!"

Also, not all the content needs to be ballooned, 3 hour live streams. Professional wednesdays was essentially quick looks of games, but they still gave great commentary to some weird 3DS and japanese games (or just trash) in 15 minute chunks. Claiming that there aren't games to play is also bunk: PSN just had spring fever (1 of 4 games covered by GB), and indies are putting out games like there is no tomorrow. It seems like only Jeff, Alex and Patrick produce any solo content.. why? GB has an engaged audience, who want to interact in more than just Twitter. That's why we're here, complaining on the forums.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@elixirbronze: Noone at giantbomb is hired as a content-creator. In fact the primary goal of the site isn't even to create content. Although I can't speak for the site, from my impression their primary agenda is to be a filtered media outlet for the gaming industry. While it's not strictly what you traditional think of as news, it's basically a news-site. They mostly just cover what is current, relevant and interesting in the industry.

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@angouri: Doing so is totally reasonable, I'm referring to nail1080's inability to use tact while doing the same.

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Rafaelfc

I just hope we get long-ass crazy streams (like the vita and the wii u ones) for the ps4 and the next xbox.

ElixirBronze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By ElixirBronze

@akyho: You are absolutely right, we shouldn't expect them to stream in their free time. But that's not what I meant to say either, anyway.. it doesn't matter.

I was just kind of half jokingly speaking my mind with my original comment. I found it ironic that random dudes working alone produce more video content than a website (pretty much) dedicated to it. Obviously the irony lies within the complications of running websites and side as journalists, and not in anyone's willingness to produce work.

casper_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

glad to see that the show has been replaced by....nevermind.

Akyho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Akyho

@elixirbronze: I cant figure out a nice way to say glad you agree or nice knowing you know...or something without out sounding like an arse. So....Thumbs up?

I get your point if your only lightly think about it but when you do thinking about it there is just soooooooooooooooooooooo much.

Hell I have a friend that does YT and a little of Twitching and he has to juggle that after work, then make his 10 min videos, then render and still fit in his normal play games with friends time. I dont envy the dude.

Cold_Wolven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Cold_Wolven

When only one Gamespot editor sat in for the Professional Wednesday I knew it was going to get canned. I elect for there to be Retro Wednesdays where all GB does is sit around for 2 hours playing 80/90's games as a replacing segment.

LackingSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#41  Edited By LackingSaint

@ares42 said:

@elixirbronze: Noone at giantbomb is hired as a content-creator. In fact the primary goal of the site isn't even to create content. Although I can't speak for the site, from my impression their primary agenda is to be a filtered media outlet for the gaming industry. While it's not strictly what you traditional think of as news, it's basically a news-site. They mostly just cover what is current, relevant and interesting in the industry.

To be fair, on multiple occasions the staff have pointed out this is mostly a personality-driven site with a focus on video content. I mean yeah, they'll throw up a few new game trailers, but it's clear to all involved that that's not the thing with GiantBomb.

I am kind of bummed out that over the last few days all that's materialised is 2 fairly standard Quick Looks and the podcast, especially with the loss of Professional Wednesdays which was in my opinion a great addition to the line-up. Maybe i'm entitled or whatever, but I definitely feel like this period of No New Releases could have been filled with some interesting content they wouldn't possibly have time for later in the year. That hasn't really been the case for the last week or so.

Basically what i'm saying is they need to hire Matt Kessler and Steve Ramirez, and bring back Fear Gauntlet.

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By RazielCuts

Don't worry guys they'll be a Big Live Live Show Live in September to boost subs and all will be forgotten, that's how that works right?

MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just don't like livestream shows in general and I don't like that it's a stand in for quick looks. I was wondering why GB didn't quick look Lego City Undercover or Double Dragon 2 and realized that they already covered it in Professional Fridays. But I don't want to watch Giant Bomb X Gamespot cause I don't go to Gamespot and a crossover does not interest me in the slightest. It also dilutes the chemistry and personality based coverage that this site prides itself on.

Also, it being a livestream means that they have to upload the whole friggin stream in one big ass chunk. I can't just watch the part where they cover the game I want to see, but instead of I have to click through different parts of the timeline on GB's crap video player until I happen upon the part I want to see. On the other hand there are people that want to watch the whole show, hear the in jokes in between and the jokes carried out throughout the stream, so it'd be inconvenient and a waste of space for them to upload the whole stream and then separate videos of the stream. Which is why I'd prefer that they stick to quick looks instead of livestreaming everything in one go and then having like 2 or 3 quick looks.

BackseatBoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By BackseatBoss

When only one Gamespot editor sat in for the Professional Wednesday I knew it was going to get canned. I elect for there to be Retro Wednesdays where all GB does is sit around for 2 hours playing 80/90's games as a replacing segment.

Oh hell yeah! That's all I want from them, to play some obscure, old, bad games once a week and stream it with a crew of Vinny, Jeff, Brad, Patrick, Ryan and Drew. I know they kind of do it in the Unprofessional Fridays, but those games are too current.

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By wrighteous86

Basically what i'm saying is they need to hire Matt Kessler and Steve Ramirez, and bring back Fear Gauntlet.

It's called Spookin' with Scoops now.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#46  Edited By crusader8463

You can make whatever excuse you want for there not being a lot of content on the site, but I refuse to accept that it's because it's slow and that there's nothing out there. I have seen enough mail bags where people have sent them hundreds of games that have never been shown on the site that it blows my mind they don't have a weekly or bi-weekly show where they just play random games from that for an hour or so. That stuff was there so that when there wasn't a lot of stuff coming out they could sit down and watch it all.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

You can make whatever excuse you want for there not being a lot of content on the site, but I refuse to accept that it's because it's slow and that there's nothing out there. I have seen enough mail bags where people have sent them hundreds of games that have never been shown on the site that it blows my mind they don't have a weekly or bi-weekly show where they just play random games from that for an hour or so. That stuff was there so that when there wasn't a lot of stuff coming out they could sit down and watch it all.

They do the occasional livestream of retro games, and that's partially what Unprofessional Fridays plays into, as well, among the other random weirdness. And it's not like they're not producing content. Patrick and Drew just spent a week in Iceland being immersed in EVE Online and we're only now starting to see the fruits of their labor.

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mail-order Games would be a cool feature, where they just play some random game sent to them in a Mailbag for an hour.

Superkenon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#49  Edited By Superkenon

You might not like the answer, but they seemed to have taken advantage of the slow week by performing a lot of important upkeep, setting up for Vita captures, and constructing whatever Vinny's magical "stealth office" is -- all of which is going to translate to more content down the line.

It could be the kind of thing you can only appreciate if you've worked at a small business. A week like this with relatively few obligations is gold for getting a lot of this important 'backstage' stuff done. The kind of stuff that's needed to be done for a long time, but there's just never enough time for.

Of course, no one bats an eye at me when I'm using a slow week to do maintenance. I'm glad I don't have the entire Armchair Internet telling me I'm doing my job wrong.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

@superkenon: That's all fine and dandy for this particular week, but there are moments where theres nothing on the site for long stretches of time when they are not doing other stuff too. Hopefully once vinny sets his stuff up to make it one click recording it will be different, but there's still no excuse for days without content to go by. If I can go from never having done it before to figuring how to download, install, and configure a program to record videos of me playing games and talking about it in a few hours with all 100% free software and a little time on Google why can't 4+ guys at a huge company make a little QL of some random game? It's not like it's some high production value or time consuming endeavour to fire up a game on a PC and record it for 15-20 while they talk. People are not asking for TNT or Friday show events daily where every staff member sits around to talk. Take the time to teach the guys individually how to record and upload a video to the site so when Vinny/Drew are busy with other stuff they can upload something on their own.

I'm fine with the amount of content we are getting at the moment, but there have been times in the past where this site has gone almost dark for no apparent reason. When times like that happen it seems crazy to me that they are not digging into those games people sent or that they are not firing up a camera and just talking like an ILM video. This site was founded on them being open and honest about everything that's going on. So when there's just suddenly weeks with nothing it makes people wonder.

I really wish they had some kind of stickied post on the front page where they can just post a small blurb about what's going on. Sometimes they post about it on Twitter but people shouldn't need to go to another site to try and figure out what's going on with this one.