#1 Posted by snide (2413 posts) -
http://media.giantbomb.com/media/misc/profile_template.psd

Template for creating nice profile backgrounds linked above. Requires photoshop or any program that can work with photoshop layers. Here are the main tips...
  1. The image will tile. If you don't want it to tile, use a image that is very wide (1900 pixels).
  2. The image will be partially covered up by the header of the site. If you want something to show up perfectly aligned, make sure adjust your image to be lower then header.
  3. I've included an option fade for those that can't find high rez artwork. Just place your art below the fade layer and it will give you a natural fade out when being viewed on high rez monitors.
  4. Remember that part of your background will be partially covered by navigation, don't think of this as a limitation, but as an opportunity to "hide" characters behind that nav.
  5. Don't forget to hide the header and icon layer on your PSD before you save. Use the "Save as Web" option if you have photoshop and use a 70% compression JPG to make sure you get a cool image that won't take too long to download.
When you're done, let us know so we can check out your work! If you don't have photoshop, there are plenty of users here that are pretty good with it (just check the staff pic manipulation thread) that can help you out.
#2 Posted by MasterOfPenguins_Zell (2093 posts) -

Awesome, time to outsource this project to friends.

#3 Posted by brukaoru (5079 posts) -

Good stuff, thanks Snide!

#4 Posted by suneku (2997 posts) -

thanks snide, I'll give it a try a bit later.

#5 Posted by FLStyle (4707 posts) -

I'll give this a go tomorrow but I am amused at how the image I'm currently using actually looks pretty awesome.

#6 Posted by suneku (2997 posts) -

I just did a little test with the template and it works great.

#7 Posted by Coltonio7 (3156 posts) -

Whoah, this'll save me some time! Much thanks Snide!

#8 Posted by Ozeki (156 posts) -

Thanks!! Exactly what I was looking for! :)

#9 Posted by PowerSerj (987 posts) -

Very useful. Works great!

#10 Posted by Jensonb (1750 posts) -

Mine's done. Looks great!

#11 Posted by Dalai (7030 posts) -

Just a few minutes late for me, but I love how mine came out anyway.

#12 Posted by Jax (461 posts) -

Good to go bro! Thanks snide.

#13 Posted by albedos_shadow (1485 posts) -

Now if only I had Photoshop...

#14 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -

Thanks, I like my tile as of now. It looks freaky.

#15 Posted by JoelTGM (5596 posts) -

great thanks

#16 Edited by GiantGUS (399 posts) -

Hey, can someone help me get my image to display better on the site?
I am not really good at Photoshop or messing with images, so I can't think of a way yo get more of the cool stuff to be visible, where to move everything and all.
-
The full size image is HERE.
And the PSD is HERE.

#17 Posted by c1337us (5751 posts) -

Brilliant. Thanks. I'll sort out my look soon enough, or out source it to more capable people. :P

#18 Posted by RHCPfan24 (8609 posts) -

I am going to try photoshop again just to do this. It looks sweet.

#19 Edited by VibratingDonkey (877 posts) -

Thanks a bunch. Although my current background is so awesomely ugly I might leave it be. Or maybe I could make it uglier...

Success!

#20 Edited by Smedles (174 posts) -

I don't have photoshop: how can I make a background?

#21 Posted by Hexogen (766 posts) -

Aww, I wish I had this yesterday. I spent an hour or so trying to get my banner just right and at the end of the night it still wasn't right. 15 minutes with this and it's perfect. Thanks.

#22 Posted by LordAndrew (14426 posts) -
Smedles said:
"I don't have photoshop: how can I make a background?"
There are a number of other programs that can open PSD files. Perhaps you already have one?
#23 Posted by Smedles (174 posts) -
LordAndrew said:
"Smedles said:
"I don't have photoshop: how can I make a background?"
There are a number of other programs that can open PSD files. Perhaps you already have one?
"
I don't think I do...
#24 Posted by Hamst3r (4484 posts) -

Can we please have an option to have the background not tile? I've put up my banner at the 1900px size but at my res I can still see it wrapping around.  I guess I could make the image even bigger.  Also, the banner shows up at the bottom of the page...which I can't fix by making the image larger. :P

Pleaaaase? :D :D :D

#25 Posted by VibratingDonkey (877 posts) -

From what I've gathered the banner bottom is just a temporary glitch which only appears when you've just added a new background.

#26 Posted by the_purgatory_station (408 posts) -

ahh  so ka. 

good template

#27 Posted by GiantGUS (399 posts) -

Finally fixed mine:

#28 Posted by Absurd (2934 posts) -

This is very useful, I'll get around to it tomorrow or so.

#29 Posted by hfhongxia (9 posts) -

hello ! I'd like to send a word of thanks to our loyal mods, who have taken the great responsibility that comes with great power, and have used it for good rather then evil. Thank you!

#30 Posted by Linkyshinks (9880 posts) -

This certainly helps. Thanks.

#31 Posted by WilliamRLBaker (4777 posts) -

Now lets hope we get someone that makes a guide that doesn't require layers, or photoshop since i don't feel like pirating it or buying it.

#32 Posted by Ziriux (33 posts) -

Thanks for this, time to put my skills to the use.  You guys are awesome group of people, I love your open source attitude.

#33 Posted by pirate_republic (1117 posts) -

Thanks Snide.

#34 Posted by Smedles (174 posts) -

Can anyone recommend a program other than photoshop that would be suitable for this?

#35 Posted by Kazona (3068 posts) -

Sweet. Now I can make a decent profile banner instead of the shoddy one I have now.

#36 Posted by Drebin_893 (2917 posts) -

Oh, thanks alot  Methos!

#37 Posted by OrangeSponge (53 posts) -

Thank you so much.

#38 Posted by loiv (31 posts) -

Thanks Snide :D

#39 Posted by Fattony12000 (7424 posts) -

Template based thankings.