Anyone want to guess a release date?
kilzombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By kilzombie

I'd love to try it out, imo it was the best part of the show, the rest didn't really interest me. As for release date, I'm guessing sometime next summer? Though I have a feeling that it's going to have a shitload of issues and shovelware. I hope I'm wrong though, because it seems to be quite an impressive piece of tech.

Drebin_893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Drebin_893

Everyone has posted this in the Microsoft which is stickied at the top of the forums. All further discussion should remain in there.

zyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By zyn

Looks awesome.  However, I don't see myself playing games using my body O_o;  I prefer a controller.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Al3xand3r

My take: Great for Eyetoy-like titles. Great for Wii Fit-like titles, great for some various fighting games, boxing, etc.

BUT: Not great for actual games, I think Nintendo has the right idea with actual controller and buttons for that.

Example: Take a FPS. We all know how those work on the Wii. How would they work on Natal? How can it know where you want to look, where you want to shoot, where you want to move, what weapon you want to switch to, when to use grenade, what type of grenade to use, when to crouch, when to SPRINT, and all sorts of other actions a particular game may have like different vision modes, jumping, climbing, all at nearly the same time? It's simple, it CAN'T. So, you'll still have to use your 360 controller for actual games, and at most you get some headtracking and some leaning motions on top, while stil aiming with plain on analog sticks. That's not that different to what The SIxAxis + EyeToy can in theory do, and it's a far cry from the controls a corrsponding Wii game can have.

Given that, it's surprising how many 360 fanboys are drooling over it considering the main application for it is the waggle fests they hate so much on the Wii and it's counter-intuitive for actual games. I guess it might be cool for a rail/lightgun shooter where you actually step from cover to cover but yeah, not much else can be done when it comes to proper games.

So, I think this can (but may not) be a SERIOUS injury for Nintendo in terms of the extremely casual users. Not in the Mario sense but in the Wii Fit sense. Not so much for the actual games. Of course, it depends on the price too. That's my 2 eurocents.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By Diamond

It would be great if I believed they actually could build AI intelligent enough, voice recognition and face recognition well enough to support a drama game.  If you could play out scenes from a movie, tell a character to fuck off, or just sneer at someone and they'd get frightened, that would be awesome.  I REALLY doubt our technology is there or will be for another 30 years or more.  That's why it'll suck.

You'll have stuff like Seaman, crappy Wii-like games, and Eyetoy shit.  I'd love to be proven wrong, but I don't see how it's technically possible.

Dovey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By Dovey

I know that most of us where thining eyetoy ripoff but when Peter took stage and showed Milo... well it showed there is a lot more depth to this device than what I thought could be possible.

Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By Xeiphyer

Looks really cool, the motion capture looked to be a lot more smooth and fluid than what has existed previously, also the fact that they aren't using a peripheral is good, I don't much enjoy having to use the wii remotes for motion stuff.

Actually now that I think about it, I like it more. Nintendo is all about giving us 300 different peripherals to buy and add on, so its great that microsoft is going in the other direction, although technically speaking.. your still buying the vision capture device thing.

I'm interested to hear the testimonials for that kid Milo, since it was Molyneux, and we all know how he likes to exadgerate and stretch the truth a bit. There is no doubt that the video was in some way scripted and thus.. not done live, so it will be cool to hear what people who get to test it out say, hopefully Jeff can get in there and cause some trouble "Ok, now take these scissors and run with them"

I really wanna see more of the earlyer Natal stuff they showed, where those two girls were talking about that fake party they werent going to, but she was able to pick the dress and properly overlay it so she could see herself wearing it on the TV, that is crazy!

Lies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 14

#9  Edited By Lies

That Lionhead thing looked amazing. If it actually works as well when the demo it for press, that's astounding. A lot of people wrote it off, but the artificial intelligence running behind that thing must be beastly.

Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By Player1

first impressions are

• ...I have real friends, so they whole Milo thing seems cool, but I'm not really interested.
  • Mini games look to be really fun, but I can't see a good hardcore game succeeding, at least in the early lifespan. 
  • Elephant painting actually wasn't that bad :P
m1k3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11  Edited By m1k3

What sold me on it was the concept, the whole presentation was just cliche

doctorchin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By doctorchin

I think it all depends on if the can make it more than an amazing toy,

you got to remeber the negative reactions to the wiimote and that served it's function as it was meant to.
JackiJinx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 34

#13  Edited By JackiJinx

I'm going to quote myself from the MS Conference thread.

JackiJinx said:
Project Natal. Natal. Hmm.▸ adjective:  relating to or accompanying birth ("Natal injuries") ▸ adjective:  of or relating to the buttocks▸ adjective:  of or ... [more]

Hairydutchman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Hairydutchman
Cool if it works as great as they're bragging about, but I kinda doubt it.

edit: urgh unbold allready!
banksrob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By banksrob

The posibilities are huge just like the wii was when it was announced, how this progresses though will be very interesting indeed.

vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16  Edited By vidiot
Now this is more like it.

The real question will be if all of those different technologies can work together most of the time. What was shown was beyond promising, I can totally agree that this is the start of something

I really do wonder how a Natal FPS would play. How traditional controller mechanics would be applied to the device.
Hairydutchman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Hairydutchman
vidiot said:
Now this is more like it. The real question will be if all of those different technologies can work together ... [more]
You think it could recognize you pulling a virtual trigger?
Manks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By Manks

It looks promising. I want to see how it will do in the future.

banksrob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By banksrob

With FPS it feels more natural to actually pull a trigger or button. The whole facial and voice recignition seemed pretty cool to me, but how it handles accents will also be interesting.

banksrob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By banksrob

The idea of scaning thing in and it being visulised within the game looked cool too

Guardian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Guardian

I thought it was really cool, but I think the conversations were probably scripted. 

Also, I don't think Microsoft should try to pick a fight with Nintendo because I don't think they can beat them.  
vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By vidiot
Hairydutchman said:
vidiot said: Now this is more like it. The real question will be if all of those different technologies can ... [more]
God I hope so.
Hopefully we wont go down the road of the recent= static waggle replaces "X" button. Like another console that has been collecting dust in my room. There is room for something really awesome and innovative here, although I am a bit concerned how multi-platform games will fare on it. Something tells me that Natal is going to catch on very slowly.
Avatar image for deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f
deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This really makes me curious about the next wave of consoles. I assume the next xbox would come with this out of the box. It makes me wonder where Nintendo will go with their motion control next gen. I know that's probably a long ways off, but still.

This will be the longest generation of consoles.

OwlBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By OwlBoy

The AI in Milo will never work that well. I mean half way though the demo video it even stopped being reactive dialog. It will just be a dialog tree again I am guessing.

Avatar image for deactivated-5884be30433ec
deactivated-5884be30433ec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It sounds retarded

KingBroly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

#26  Edited By KingBroly

100% not interested.  Especially at the rumored price point.

bi0nic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#27  Edited By bi0nic
KingBroly said:
100% not interested.  Especially at the rumored price point.
which is?

EDIT: n/m, found it.  $199.99 according to this here: http://www.examiner.com/x-6894-SF-Console-Game-Examiner~y2009m6d1-Microsoft-to-challenge-Nintendo-Wii-with-Project-Natal

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#28  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

It looks like far too much effort.

RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By RsistncE
@Dovey: Milo was bullshit. No way Peter has developed advanced AI before SCIENTISTS. No way in hell.
Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#30  Edited By Meowayne

I believe Natal will fail horribly. Even in controlled environment, it was showcased with faulty realtime and obvious target render. Like anything Molyneux has done, Milo will probably have just about as many functions as we are shown in the thousand previews - And after two hours in which we tried every one of them, it will become completely uninteresting. Remember Black&White? Yeah.
In the real world, people will have motion behind them. In the real world, people will not be sitting away far enough for the camera to pick everything up correctly. In the real world, workable voice recognition is frustrating 80% of the time. In the real world, nobody wants to play games that way. I like that I can play Force Unleashed on the Wii with all the gesture-based goodness (and the motion control on Force Unleashed is really great) sitting down and resting my arms on my lap.

Maybe I'm just outdated and wrong about the current technology, but I can see Natal working the way it should to be successful just about as much as OnLive.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#31  Edited By Milkman

My question is how will they make it into a game. I have no interest in chatting with Milo.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Al3xand3r

TobyD81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 29

#33  Edited By TobyD81
@Dovey said:
" I know that most of us where thining eyetoy ripoff but when Peter took stage and showed Milo... well it showed there is a lot more depth to this device than what I thought could be possible. "
While Milo was tech-demo-y as hell, it did show that this thing has some potential. I'm glad they brought in Molyneux, because he's the kind of designer who will look at what this thing is capable of, rather than just defaulting to the same old stuff that's been done before. Good designers will be looking at what kind of new things they can do with Natal, rather than what they can't do (i.e. a twitch-heavy FPS.) The good thing is this won't be a replacement for the Xbox 360 controller, but an addition. If it works, we could be in for some wild new shit.
happymensch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By happymensch

Here's how I think this would actually work with a FPS:

HOW YOU'LL USE A GUN:
Hold your hand like a gun and then, to fire, lower your thumb down to touch the knuckle of your middle finger. Camera should pick that up

HOW YOU'LL WALK/RUN:
Imagine a square on the floor and you're standing in the middle of it. Move forward in the square to walk forward (backward to move backward, etc..). To sprint, move to the far edge of the square and do high-knees.

HOW YOU'LL SPIN AROUND:
Drag your foot along the floor to "spin" the scenery. Drag your right foot back to turn left or forward to turn right. Kick hard and keep your foot off the floor to do a pirouette.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#35  Edited By Jeust
@Milkman said:
" My question is how will they make it into a game. I have no interest in chatting with Milo. "
Have you ever though of using a regular controller... and a game reading your expressions?

Have you ever imagine that with fable, giving each character a answer according to how you feel?

It has a awesome potential...
natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#36  Edited By natetodamax

Seems like a really cool piece of technology. I can't see myself using it, however.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Al3xand3r
@happymensch said:
" Here's how I think this would actually work with a FPS:HOW YOU'LL USE A GUN:Hold your hand like a gun and then, to fire, lower your thumb down to touch the knuckle of your middle finger. Camera should pick that upHOW YOU'LL WALK/RUN:Imagine a square on the floor and you're standing in the middle of it. Move forward in the square to walk forward (backward to move backward, etc..). To sprint, move to the far edge of the square and do high-knees.HOW YOU'LL SPIN AROUND:Drag your foot along the floor to "spin" the scenery. Drag your right foot back to turn left or forward to turn right. Kick hard and keep your foot off the floor to do a pirouette. "
awful, awful setup, optional or not. And I doubt it could detect you moving your thumb like that anyway. If it could do such detail, might as well "pretend-push-trigger" instead. Nobody would ever play like this... Some of these could be replicated on the Wii with balance board use. They're not, for good reason. Or the eyetoy on PS2/3. They're not, for a reason. It's just not applicable for "real" games, only mini games like the crap displayed and maybe VERY cool for a beat 'em up, and that's about it.
Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#38  Edited By Jeust

Not so much... the trick of technology is to appear absent.

The Natal Project is nothing more of a glorified and advanced interface... with that a designer/programmer can whatever it wants. 

If it is so precise to read your emotion, it can, mostly with your gamepad, give a more emmersive experience. Or without it... but i bet the programmers if they explore that tech they will use a gamepad also.
scroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By scroll

I just want to shout at it to pause stuff. That's it.

Turek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#40  Edited By Turek

All you need to know about project Natal is to play Totemball.  It is a free game that can only be played with the xbox camara.  I think most of the things that will come out of project Natal will play as poorly as that game.  Try to finish it, I dare you.