#1 Posted by Cedogamer (12 posts) -

Hey every one I'm really looking In to either one of these handhelds. my concers are if the Sony is still coming out with more games now due to ps4 integration. many say I should just pick wich system has better games yet at this moment I don't see tons of ps vita title but the one out there intrest me. althoug at the same time there are more 3ds title but the ones that interest me are about the same amount As the vita. i guess you could say Sony 51% Nintendo 49% but agian that's not going to matter if Sony cant keep up in games I am asking this because may of the threads I see we're from the vitas early life of feburary last year and I don't consider those reliable due to the fact that many said the same thing about the 3ds when it first came out. Also if it helps I have a ps3 already but I don't have the yearly pass

#2 Posted by falserelic (5270 posts) -

Go with the vita...

#3 Posted by BeachThunder (11630 posts) -

Go with the 3DS...

#4 Posted by Hengst (47 posts) -

Go with the 3DS. Almost all good Vita games are multiplatform.

Unless you really need to play indie games on the go, I can't see any reason to get a Vita.

#5 Edited by Tajasaurus (782 posts) -

Vita has a pretty great back catalogue of PSone and PSP games

#6 Posted by Cedogamer (12 posts) -

Can you please elaborate as to why you recommend one system over the other thansk

#7 Edited by Hengst (47 posts) -

It's also worth noting that a lot of development has dried up on the Vita. The planned Vita versions of Bioshock Infinite and The Zone of Enders collection seem to have been silently cancelled. The HD ports of FFX and FFX2 will be separate releases compared to their PS3 counterpart, and it seems like they might have a much later release date to boot... that is, if they come out at all.

A lot of studios don't seem to care about some of the titles they put out. Just look at the call of Duty game for Vita. Activision was marketing this game as something great.

http://www.giantbomb.com/reviews/call-of-duty-black-ops-declassified-review/1900-544/

#8 Posted by mwng (919 posts) -

Like I say in all these threads, if you never owned a PSP and have a fondness of PS1 games, Vita is the way to go.

If you're not fussed about either of those things, the 3DS has a much better library. Not to mention all the regular DS titles you can buy for it.

Also, don't forget to add the cost of a memory card to the Vita, it really starts to sting if you want a bigger card.

I'm a loser and have both; I think I like the Vita more as a console, it feels more comfortable to use, it's a little more customizable, and games look nicer on it. Plus I'm a sucker for Persona/Final Fantasy.

#9 Posted by BlackLagoon (1368 posts) -

@hengst: Seriously? A few two and a half year old launch announcements that didn't work out is proof that "a lot of development has dried up"? I've been keeping a list of announced Vita titles, and I dare say development has not dried up, quite the opposite compared to the game droughts the Vita experienced in 2012.

As for CoD, yes, one badly reviewed game. From what I understand the originally intended game suffered development problems and ended up being scrapped, and what came out was a replacement slapped together in less than 6 months to fulfill the marketing contract Activision had signed with Sony. It was unfortunate, but things like that happen. And happily, it is in fact not the only game on the Vita. Take Killzone Mercenary for example, which is looking quite stunning:

#10 Edited by MEATBALL (3011 posts) -

Love both systems for different reasons, but I have to say that the 3DS is definitely the system to get first, I feel like it's been killing it this year on the awesome games front. The Vita is also well worth owning, though, so I recommend looking to get both at some point - just prioritise the 3DS (and if it's one or the other, the 3DS would be my recommendation).

• Kid Icarus
  • Super Mario 3D Land
  • Super Paper Mario
  • Mario & Luigi Dream Team
  • Animal Crossing New Leaf
  • Fire Emblem Awakening
  • Luigi's Mansion 2
  • Mario Kart 7
  • Ocarina of Time 3D
  • Donkey Kong Country Returns
  • Shin Megami Tensei IV
  • Pushmo/Crashmo
  • Mighty Switch Force 1&2

All great games. And there are more on the way like Pokemon X/Y and Link to the Past 2.

The Vita is great because Sony have done a bang-up job with the PSN store and compatibility with PS Mobile, PSone and PSP games, have been great about courting indie ports and if you have Playstation Plus you'll be getting two new games every month for "free". That said, I just can't recommend it over the 3DS due to the 3DS's increasingly excellent library.

#11 Posted by MideonNViscera (2257 posts) -

3DS.

#12 Edited by Hengst (47 posts) -

@blacklagoon said:

@hengst: Seriously? A few two and a half year old launch announcements that didn't work out is proof that "a lot of development has dried up"? I've been keeping a list of announced Vita titles, and I dare say development has not dried up, quite the opposite compared to the game droughts the Vita experienced in 2012.

It seems you're more informed about titles for Vita than I am. I just wanted to get the point across that big game publishers are running into road blocks when developing games. I guess that's just par for the course when developing for such a powerful little device.

There are indeed games coming out for the Vita, that much is clear. Unfortunately most of the titles listed in your blog are also coming out for iOS, PS3, and in some cases Wii U. I just don't see the point in recommending the Vita as your only portable gaming device right now, especially if you already own a PS3. Maybe in a few years when there are more exclusives available.

#13 Posted by Miyuki (176 posts) -

I made this choice a month ago, and I ended up going with a 3ds xl. I'm very happy with my decision because there are a lot of games I want to play coming out for it. Right now I'm playing Shin Megami Tensei iv and Animal Crossing, which are both excellent. If you never had a DS there is the back library of ds games as well. I have a PSP, so I wasn't as interested in the vita for that, so that could be a factors. I will probably buy one eventually, but for now I'm assured that there will continue to be games I'm interested in for the 3ds

#14 Posted by Vinny_Says (5681 posts) -

Buying a 3DS XL was one of the best purchasing decisions I've made in a long time. I'm currently playing Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon and it is absolutely fantastic.

There's also a ton of awesome games in its library:

• Fire Emblem Awakening
  • Super Mario 3D land
  • Paper Mario Sticker Star
  • Ocarina of Time 3D
  • Ghost Recon Shadow Wars
  • Mario Kart 7

Then there are upcoming releases:

• M&L Dream Team
  • Zelda A Link Between Worlds
  • Pokemon X/Y
  • Yoshi's Island 3DS

And finally the backwards compatibility allows you to play awesome DS games like:

• Zelda Phantom Hourglass
  • Zelda Spirit Tracks
  • Pokemon Gold thru Black 2
  • GTA Chinatown Wars
  • M&L Bowser's Inside Story
  • Advance Wars Dual Strike
  • Chrono Trigger
  • Picross 3D

#15 Posted by MentalDisruption (1618 posts) -

Between my Vita and my 3DS the 3DS definitely gets more use. It has some amazing games, and there appear to be more coming on the horizon. There's some good indie stuff and older games to play on the vita through PSN, but I definitely feel like my 3DS offers me more at the moment. Both are good buys, but if I had to choose I'd go with the 3DS before the Vita.

#16 Edited by TheManWithNoPlan (5112 posts) -

I'm sure the Vita has some good stuff by now. Persona 4 and Dragon's Crown come to mind. I personally own a 3ds and haven't regretted my purchase once. There have been so many fantastic titles to come out on it. For instance,

• Fire Emblem Awakening
  • Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon
  • Virtue's Last Reward (It's on the Vita too)
  • Ocarina of Time (It's a Remake, but it's a super nice one)
  • Super Mario Land 3d
  • Professor Layton and The Miracle Mask
  • Paper Mario Sticker Star
  • Shin Megami Tensei 4
  • Kid Icarus Uprising

Here's a list of Vita titles that seem worth playing

• Uncharted Golden Abyss
  • Luminous
  • Persona 4 The Golden
  • Assassins Creed 3 Liberation
  • Soul Sacrifice
  • Dragon's Crown
  • Gravity Rush
  • Virtue's Last Reward
  • There's a fair amount of cross platform games on the Vita as well.
#17 Posted by MedalOfMode (294 posts) -

If you want unnecessary games with PSPLUS go with VITA.

Else you must buy 3DS.

#18 Posted by BlackLagoon (1368 posts) -

@hengst: I find mult-iplatform games coming to the Vita pretty convenient. I have a sizable backlog of retail games to dig into on the PS3, and it's much easier to find time to play indies when they can be instantly suspended and restarted or taken with me outside. I had a great time with Knytt Underground and EDF 2017 on my Vita, but I doubt I'd ever finished them on a PC/console.

That said, you're making it sound like the Vita doesn't have its share of exclusives... Uncharted, Gravity Rush, and Soul Sacrifice are best of what's already out, and there's plenty of nice stuff coming out like Killzone, Tearaway, Ys: Memories of Celceta, Toukiden, Dangan Ronpa, Demon Gaze, etc. It's a nice, diverse line up, with lots of new IPs instead of just the same old.

And of course, there's PlayStation Plus, which is probably my favorite feature of the system. Constant supply of new games, at no cost since I was already subscribing for my PS3. All in all I'm quite satisfied with my Vita.

#19 Posted by Cedogamer (12 posts) -

Hey thanks for input but my last questions is if I am not very intrested in all the games. (Themanwithnoplan) I do like ....

Fire Emblem Awakening

Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon

Virtue's Last Reward (It's on the Vita too)

Ocarina of Time (It's a Remake, but it's a super nice

Super Mario Land 3d

Paper Mario Sticker Star

Shin Megami Tensei 4

Kid Icarus Uprising

Do you guys finds this enough to buy the 3ds I do like the feel I it more and I Alredy have a pc and ps3 so I see no point toget games on cross platforms yet the vita does have its share of exclusives as stated earlier. Finally what I am saying is the vita barely interest more than the 3ds it almost a tie. Some may call me wierd but I don't seem to like animal crossing and fire emblems seem kinda of interesting but not crazy interesting so what I am saying is if these type if title will keep being realese and then I will be stuck with rpg and animal crossing type games?

#20 Posted by Bane122 (783 posts) -

I'll say basically the same thing I said when you made a 3ds vs vita thread not a week ago: 3DS hands down. It's not even much of a contest.

#21 Posted by Hunkulese (2624 posts) -

@cedogamer: Luigi's mansion and Paper Mario were far from great. If you're a fan of Nintendo's PG style go with a 3DS. If you want a wider variety of mature themes get a vita.

#22 Posted by bigjeffrey (4699 posts) -
#23 Posted by Berserker976 (322 posts) -

I'd actually wait until Gamescom before making making the decision, especially if it's a close race between the two for you right now.

Supposedly there's going to be a big Vita push from Sony there, and I'm sure Nintendo will expand on their upcoming 3DS games there as well.

It's also worth thinking about which handheld will work well with your your next gen console (assuming you get one) both the 3DS and the Vita seem like they're going to be doing some neat stuff when it comes to interacting with their respective mother consoles.

#24 Posted by LiquidPrince (15833 posts) -

Vita is the better system, with the better games. 3DS has been fairly disappointing for me. That might change with the newest Phoenix Wright though.

#25 Posted by MEATBALL (3011 posts) -

@cedogamer: Luigi's mansion and Paper Mario were far from great. If you're a fan of Nintendo's PG style go with a 3DS. If you want a wider variety of mature themes get a vita.

I completely disagree, I thought both games were great (though my stance on Paper Mario Sticker Star seems to be a minority opinion).

#26 Posted by Wheatley117 (17 posts) -

I bought a 3DS XL about 4 Months ago, and I never thought that I would love it that much. I totally recommend it. I tested the Vita and really liked it, but I think the Vita is still a bit overpriced. Plus, there are not many (great) Games available. (With some exceptions)

#27 Edited by fisk0 (3751 posts) -

Depends on what you want to play. I think 3DS has better exclusives, but Vita is a great machine to play cross-play, PS1 and PSP titles on. Just about all the great Vita indie titles are also available on PC and other consoles, but I still prefer playing stuff like Hotline Miami or Rayman Origins on the Vita.

There aren't a lot of experiences you'll only get on the Vita, unlike the 3DS, but many of the games available on several platforms are still preferable on the Vita.

#28 Edited by selfconfessedcynic (2495 posts) -

I have a Vita, waiting for Ace Attorney to get a 3ds, but to be honest there are more games worth playing on the iPad. For now.

Answer: Neither. Wait for the redesigns / refreshes and more games.

#29 Posted by moon_frog (7 posts) -

The vita is the slicker and sleeker hardware by a mile. And with off tv play in the works for ps4 it should be even more attractive. The 3ds beats it software wise but admittedly not by a lot. Also I personally love the 3d effect but I seem to be in the minority. It works brilliantly on some games and is intolerable in others