PS3 1080P HDTV setup

Why_So_Serious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Why_So_Serious
So I got a new LCD HDTV 37" 1080P compatible TV for christmas. The people at Best Buy told my parents that I didn't need the HDMI cable this TV does it all. It wasn't hard hooking up my 360 the settings were easy to fix. But on my PS3 I'm having a little more trouble. I can't find out how to hook up the 1080P for my PS3 so I can play my games in High-Def and watch blu-ray. Can anyone help me please?
Lunarbunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Lunarbunny

The only way you're getting 1080p is HDMI. However, don't buy cables from a big box store, they're all marked up multiple times their value. If you can wait for delivery, I recommend monoprice.com for cables. HDMI cable quality means nothing at typical lengths too: it's digital - it either works or it doesn't. Longer runs (like 50 or more feet) may suffer from signal loss on low-quality cables.

The other option is Component video, which is analog and does depend on cable quality. I believe the maximum resolution for component is 1080i as well.

Composite (the single yellow video connection) is limited to 480i.

Also... Best Buy telling them not to buy something? I'm shocked.

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#3  Edited By wefwefasdf
Lunarbunny said:
"Also... Best Buy telling them not to buy something? I'm shocked."
Tell me about it. They are liking walking ads.
zyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#4  Edited By zyn

As Lunarbunny says, you'll need HDMI to hit the 1080p resolution.  Once you plug it in, turn on your PlayStation 3, it'll automatically adjust to the highest available resolution of your HDTV.

Of course, you can always set it to whatever supported resolution you want.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

Yeah don`t just bestbuy for advice, I know I won`t ever again, they have tried to rip me off on several occasions.
The only way to get your 1080p is with a HDMI cable so you should order one in.

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6  Edited By Karmum

Go with LunarBunny's advice, especially if you are going to buy cables. MonoPrice is probably the best place. For instance, they are selling 360 VGA Cables for $6.75, and major outlets such as Best Buy will sell them for $40.00. Not just Best Buy, but I'm willing to pay a few extra dollars for shipping on top of the $6.75, in contrast to $40.00.

...my example isn't exactly relevant to your situation (i.e. mine is 360, yours is PS3), but still giving you an example of the huge price differences.

Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Gizmo
Karmum said:
"Go with LunarBunny's advice, especially if you are going to buy cables. MonoPrice is probably the best place. For instance, they are selling 360 VGA Cables for $6.75, and major outlets such as Best Buy will sell them for $40.00. Not just Best Buy, but I'm willing to pay a few extra dollars for shipping on top of the $6.75, in contrast to $40.00.

...my example isn't exactly relevant to your situation (i.e. mine is 360, yours is PS3), but still giving you an example of the huge price differences."
KARMUM, DEM BE NIGRAS!
RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By RHCPfan24

Yeah, LunarBunny knows what he is talking about.  I just got a PS3 myself, and now have to wait for an HDMI cable because I forgot that it didn't come with the cable automatically. Too bad I have to wait.