Ps3 exclusives, graphics over the length really worth it?

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#1  Edited By Yummylee

Ok I understand my lack of grammer isn't very tolerable over here to which I apologise,but I'm straight from GS with all its spelling mistakes and what have you so surely its understandable :P.

Anywhoo to anyone who knows me, which is basically no-one over here i'de expect, but i'm all for sony, at the moment at least, thus the Ps3 is my console of choice, been faithful to PS since the original, though have had a few affairs with nintendo lol.

My point is I'm only left with the ps3's less than appealing exclusives. Most of which are severly underrated, but one thing that even the greatest of ps3 only titles have in common is its sometimes very unsatisfying short length.

Examples go to two of 2007's ps3 representatives that finally allowed it to spread its wings:

Heavenly Sword, a hack n slash game with a similair gameplay feel to the famed God of War series. Beautiful graphics and wonderful animations are all mandatory when it comes to ps3's own bread and butter. But Heavenly sword has shorter length than of the ps1 classics. 7 hours at most I'd say, to which is still a fun and frantic 7 hours, but with hardly any replay value its not long before its etheir traded in or just pirched on a shelf for a long time to come.

Uncharted Drakes fortune, the indiana jones esque adventure/shooter. Graphical prowess and superb animations are of course all added into the recipe, but theres only around 8 hours worth of it to enjoy. Replay value does increase somewhat with multiple difficulties and acheivments to strive for for a few quirky unlockables. Still for some I'm sure its 8 hour run through the jungle is enough with no real motivation available to keep you coming back.

Metal Gear Solid 4, everybodys favourite overrated masterpiece. Sure it'll take die hard fans around 20 hours to get through, but thats just for the amount cutscenes there willing to sit through. Anyone just after the gameplay wil find themselves over and done with MGS4 in an afternoon. Again, MGS4 has possibley some of the best graphics to date for a now released title. Its replay value is at least evident with all the specific emblems to unlock and a good amount of easter eggs to hunt down. With all its reasons to come back however, you can't deny as far as the gameplay portions go its surprisingly short.

Theres a few more I could mention and some that also at least have broken the fold somewhat. Resistance 2's single player can take up to 10 hours usually on the first go, but is still short compared to some other single player campaigns.

Some games manage to make up for it with some strong multiplayer, but for single player fans most ps3 exclusives are over far too quickly.

Games such as Infamous too have blatantly stated that it'll all be ''quality over quantity''. Killzone 2 also is roughly only equipped with around 8 hours worth of single player carnage.

A ps3 exclusive can always gurantee mind blowing graphics, and more often than not a very short single player. I just wonder just why developers couldn't for once try and promise a substantial single player coupled well with the same graphical prowess.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 36

#2  Edited By LordAndrew
Abyssfull said:
"Metal Gear Solid 4, everybodys favourite overrated masterpiece. Sure it'll take die hard fans around 20 hours to get through, but thats just for the amount cutscenes there willing to sit through. Anyone just after the gameplay wil find themselves over and done with MGS4 in an afternoon. "
Do people really play Metal Gear Solid games for their gameplay? I was under the impression that most people played it for the ridiculous story anyway.
azteris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By azteris
Abyssfull said:
"

Ok I understand my lack of grammer isn't very tolerable over here to which I apologise,but I'm straight from GS with all its spelling mistakes and what have you so surely its understandable :P.

Anywhoo to anyone who knows me, which is basically no-one over here i'de expect, but i'm all for sony, at the moment at least, thus the Ps3 is my console of choice, been faithful to PS since the original, though have had a few affairs with nintendo lol.

My point is I'm only left with the ps3's less than appealing exclusives. Most of which are severly underrated, but one thing that even the greatest of ps3 only titles have in common is its sometimes very unsatisfying short length.

Examples go to two of 2007's ps3 representatives that finally allowed it to spread its wings:

Heavenly Sword, a hack n slash game with a similair gameplay feel to the famed God of War series. Beautiful graphics and wonderful animations are all mandatory when it comes to ps3's own bread and butter. But Heavenly sword has shorter length than of the ps1 classics. 7 hours at most I'd say, to which is still a fun and frantic 7 hours, but with hardly any replay value its not long before its etheir traded in or just pirched on a shelf for a long time to come.

Uncharted Drakes fortune, the indiana jones esque adventure/shooter. Graphical prowess and superb animations are of course all added into the recipe, but theres only around 8 hours worth of it to enjoy. Replay value does increase somewhat with multiple difficulties and acheivments to strive for for a few quirky unlockables. Still for some I'm sure its 8 hour run through the jungle is enough with no real motivation available to keep you coming back.

Metal Gear Solid 4, everybodys favourite overrated masterpiece. Sure it'll take die hard fans around 20 hours to get through, but thats just for the amount cutscenes there willing to sit through. Anyone just after the gameplay wil find themselves over and done with MGS4 in an afternoon. Again, MGS4 has possibley some of the best graphics to date for a now released title. Its replay value is at least evident with all the specific emblems to unlock and a good amount of easter eggs to hunt down. With all its reasons to come back however, you can't deny as far as the gameplay portions go its surprisingly short.

Theres a few more I could mention and some that also at least have broken the fold somewhat. Resistance 2's single player can take up to 10 hours usually on the first go, but is still short compared to some other single player campaigns.

Some games manage to make up for it with some strong multiplayer, but for single player fans most ps3 exclusives are over far too quickly.

Games such as Infamous too have blatantly stated that it'll all be ''quality over quantity''. Killzone 2 also is roughly only equipped with around 8 hours worth of single player carnage.

A ps3 exclusive can always gurantee mind blowing graphics, and more often than not a very short single player. I just wonder just why developers couldn't for once try and promise a substantial single player coupled well with the same graphical prowess.

"
Name a 360 exclusive with substantial story besides Mass Effect.

I don't think it's just a PS3 thing.

At the same time, I vastly prefer quality over quantity. Quality meaning fun, exciting, and engaging singleplayer, which is what they mean by "quality over quantity". They're not talking about graphics.
azteris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By azteris
Abyssfull said:
"

"
Wait what?
Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Yummylee

@Lordandrew---Yeah that was the selling pitch, it was all down to the hype of the story more than anything else. But i mean, say Snake eater, i feel that had an equally engaging story and gameplay mechanics too. Infact I think snake eater may have even had more gameplay available than MGS4. O.o

@Azteris---Well yeah, i'm not askin for an incredibly long game that also happens to be a ball of shite, but just a good mixture of the two.
And i was talking about how many notable exclusives there really are, and the ones that i do find myself enjoying are pretty underrated to say the least, sept of course MGS4 >.>

samcotts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By samcotts
LordAndrew said:
"Abyssfull said:
"Metal Gear Solid 4, everybodys favourite overrated masterpiece. Sure it'll take die hard fans around 20 hours to get through, but thats just for the amount cutscenes there willing to sit through. Anyone just after the gameplay wil find themselves over and done with MGS4 in an afternoon. "
Do people really play Metal Gear Solid games for their gameplay? I was under the impression that most people played it for the ridiculous story anyway.
"
It's pretty 50/50 for me. The gameplay is great, but I wouldn't rate the MGS games as highly as I do without the crazy storyline.
zityz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By zityz

You are forgetting about titles like Little Big Planet, that have both great visual appeal and length.

To be all honest though, a lot of games are like this no matter who is making them and for what console.

Also:

something irks me about this sentance. Now I'ts alright that you have a specific console or company you like, but I get this impression that playing games on a non sony console feels like a bad thing. It's okay to play other consoles or stuff from other companies without making it seam like its a bad thing. If that's not what your implying then I apologize, as it probably isn't. Just the way its said.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Yummylee

@Zityz---Yeah good point, though again the 'story' of that game lasts around 7 hours i've heard, but then again its at least got 'alot' of replay value to fall on :P. And no i wasn't tryin to make out like i'ma sony fanboy or anythin :P If u mean by the whole ''having affair with nintendo'' twas just jokin about. I've recently been savin up for a 360 in fact :S

azteris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By azteris
Abyssfull said:
"@Zityz---Yeah good point, though again the 'story' of that game lasts around 7 hours i've heard, but then again its at least got 'alot' of replay value to fall on :P. And no i wasn't tryin to make out like i'ma sony fanboy or anythin :P If u mean by the whole ''having affair with nintendo'' twas just jokin about. I've recently been savin up for a 360 in fact :S"
You know there's a quote button right?
Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Yummylee

Obviously I didn't O.o

Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By Pibo47
Azteris said:
"Abyssfull said:
"

"

At the same time, I vastly prefer quality over quantity. Quality meaning fun, exciting, and engaging singleplayer, which is what they mean by "quality over quantity". They're not talking about graphics.
"
Lost and Damned, Bioshock (it was at one point)...oh yeah, ME. There are not very many games with a good story. Let alone exculsive to one or another platform. Fanboy=fail
P.S MGS4 is the only ps3 exclusive with a good story, so its not like your making a good argument with the "360 games dont have good storys" bullshit.
SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

You know, it has less to do with graphics and more to do with the type of games.
PS3 exclusives are largely from the action game side where as 360 games lean more to the rpgs (although both have shooters).  RPGs usually last from 40-150 hours where as action games usually last 8-20 hours

AndrewGaspar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By AndrewGaspar

I stopped reading after you said you blamed your own English problems on Gamespot.

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
Azteris said:
"Abyssfull said: Name a 360 exclusive with substantial story besides Mass Effect.

"
Lost Odyssey (best story this generation)
Tales of Vesperia
Last Remnant

really?  The 360 is home to the best stories.

Let's twist this, name a PS3 exclusive game with substantial story besides MGS4.  I'll do it for you, Valkyria Chronicles.  Name another-- and I mean that in the full sense of the word, not the half stories like Uncharted/ Heavenly Sword, because then I'd be naming stuff like Fable 2

---Talking about story, the metal gear solid series really isn't nearly as deep in comparison to other games in any form.  It's called they essentially have a JRPG story within the context of an action game.  Maybe not with alll the details, but in general.  Play Tales, you'll understand.  Play Last Remnant, you'll realize it's very typical.  Play Lost Odyssey, you'll realize MGS's story is good, but it blows nothing away.
JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By JoelTGM

I don't understand what you're trying to say.  Stop trying to look for patterns.  Some games are long and some are short, the end.

Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Pibo47
SmugDarkLoser said:
"You know, it has less to do with graphics and more to do with the type of games.
PS3 exclusives are largely from the action game side where as 360 games lean more to the rpgs (although both have shooters).  RPGs usually last from 40-150 hours where as action games usually last 8-20 hours"
Yeah, Gears of War 2 has a fucking great inventory system.
KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#17  Edited By KamasamaK
Pibo47 said:
"Lost and Damned, Bioshock (it was at one point)...oh yeah, ME. There are not very many games with a good story. Let alone exculsive to one or another platform"
I can't comment on TLaD since I haven't played it yet, but BioShock had an excellent story (though it was only exclusive if you don't count PC). "Good story" is too subjective and vague to argue about anyway.
Alexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By Alexander

You can clock CoD4 in under 6 hours. It's still an amazing game.

It's nothing to do with exclusives on one console or the other.

RyanJW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By RyanJW

Metal Gear Solid has always had excellent gameplay with pretty much perfect mechanics, but its fandom is definitely just as much down to the story, characters, locations, etc.

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
Pibo47 said:
"SmugDarkLoser said:
"You know, it has less to do with graphics and more to do with the type of games.
PS3 exclusives are largely from the action game side where as 360 games lean more to the rpgs (although both have shooters).  RPGs usually last from 40-150 hours where as action games usually last 8-20 hours"
Yeah, Gears of War 2 has a fucking great inventory system.
"
i said both have shooters.
think about it, exclusives on each side.  Which is which?  both are shooters as mentioned (thrice) but those sort of don't fit in the long nor short category (unless something like bioshock).

I mostly play rpgs and shooters on my 360 and action games and shooters on my ps3.
KillerFly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 33

#21  Edited By KillerFly

I think you might be missing the point.  What you're neglecting to realize about the games you have mentioned is that, while they do look very good, they aren't short because devlelopers spend time on graphics instead of making more game, it's because shorter games make for an overall better experience. "Quality over Quantity" doesn't mean "graphics over gameplay", it means "8 exciting hours over 20 boring hours".  These games are better because they don't do what many other games do, needlessly drag out the single player campaign, creating a repetitive experience that most gamers would rather quit half way through than play to completion.

azteris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By azteris
Pibo47 said:
"Azteris said:
"Abyssfull said:
"

"

"
Lost and Damned, Bioshock (it was at one point)...oh yeah, ME. There are not very many games with a good story. Let alone exculsive to one or another platform. Fanboy=fail
P.S MGS4 is the only ps3 exclusive with a good story, so its not like your making a good argument with the "360 games dont have good storys" bullshit.
"
If you read my post, I'm not saying PS3 or 360 solely has the problem. I'm saying it's pretty even on both sides.

I won't count Bioshock because I don't count timed exclusives that have already expired.

For SmugDarkLoser, don't act like you have all the answers when most people on these boards would heavily disagree except for Tales of Vesperia. I personally found Lost Odyssey boring when I played the first few hours. The story wasn't engaging at all.
TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By TwoOneFive
LordAndrew said:
"Abyssfull said:
"

ps. i totally disagree, mgs4 took me well over 20 hours to beat (i play on hard the first time through, and the gameplay was awesome douche)

and btw, mlb 08 the show took me MANY MANY hours to get to and then win the world series. 
lol i know, i know. 
LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#24  Edited By LordAndrew

I wasn't trying to claim that it had bad gameplay, but that people probably wouldn't be skipping the cutscenes because the story is such an important part of the series.

Avatar image for kingdomhearts93
KingdomHearts93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#25  Edited By KingdomHearts93
KillerFly said:
"I think you might be missing the point.  What you're neglecting to realize about the games you have mentioned is that, while they do look very good, they aren't short because devlelopers spend time on graphics instead of making more game, it's because shorter games make for an overall better experience. "Quality over Quantity" doesn't mean "graphics over gameplay", it means "8 exciting hours over 20 boring hours".  These games are better because they don't do what many other games do, needlessly drag out the single player campaign, creating a repetitive experience that most gamers would rather quit half way through than play to completion.
"
I agree with you.  I'd rather have  8 hours of exciting gameplay than 20 hours of boring gameplay.
Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Pibo47

This topic is getting so fucked up.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#27  Edited By LiquidPrince

Yes. Quality over quantity.

Alex_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#28  Edited By Alex_V

I don't think 8-10 hours is short for narrative-driven games. I don't think this has anything in particular to do with PS3 exclusives. RPGs and Open-world games last longer, but that's because of the episodic structures and the variety built into their design.

Personally I like short games, if it fits the game. Loved Flower this week. Portal is a wonderful game, perfectly judged in terms of the length. If either of these games were 20 hours long they'd be tedious as hell.

It really annoys me when games are criticised for their length - there's an inbuilt bias towards longer games, as if that is any measure of quality. LittleBigPlanet was criticised for length, but I've been playing it for months now and am nowhere near 100% on the single-player or finishing my own level. Mirror's Edge was criticised for length, but I've had a great time with that, especially with the time trials and speed run features. And Left4Dead is criticised on length, but I find that game almost infinitely replayable because of the AI director.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#29  Edited By get2sammyb
SmugDarkLoser said:
"Let's twist this, name a PS3 exclusive game with substantial story besides MGS4.  I'll do it for you, Valkyria Chronicles.  Name another-- and I mean that in the full sense of the word, not the half stories like Uncharted/ Heavenly Sword, because then I'd be naming stuff like Fable 2 "
Perhaps it was just me, but I thought Uncharted had some amazing character and plot development. I felt invested in those characters more than most other games and that's thanks to wonderful character development -- which is PART of the story. While around 8 hours in length, I wouldn't say Uncharted was "short" -- it was more a rollercoater packed with content instead of padding. And because each section is so awesome, I played through it three times. Much the same as I did with Ratchet & Clank. Games that become tedious are less likely to hook you second time around.

Anyway - my 2 day clock counter on Resistance 2; 20 hour clock on MGS4; 14 hour clock on Wipeout HD (hey, that's a PSN download y'know?) and... presumably enormous clock on LittleBigPlanet (let's not forget LBP is the kinda game you can dip into once a week for an hour or two EVERY week and find something new) entirely disagree with this thread.

There's an old saying, it goes: quality over quantity.
KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#30  Edited By KamasamaK
get2sammyb said:
"Perhaps it was just me, but I thought Uncharted had some amazing character and plot development."
I would agree except the latter part of the game fell off for me as far as plot.