PS3 Ipod connectivity

bigdaddyjack21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By bigdaddyjack21

I there any way that I can get my iPod nano's music on my PS3 any help is greatly appreciated.

the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By the8bitNacho

I don't know.

But if you buy it via iTunes, probably not.

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor

Just googling "ps3 ipod" showed all kinds of solutions.  Even Xbox 360 supports the iPod.  If you use iTunes music store, you'll need to make sure it's the DRM-less type of music files.  Plus, I think the point is that you need to leave the iPod hooked into the unit in order for it to play your music.  I don't think it's meant to be used for copying music from one location to another (although I guess you can provided it's DRM free).  I just got a 120Gb iPod Classic, so I'll be testing this out soon, for an Xbox 360, once I get all my CDs converted over to aac format.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By penguindust

Yes, if your Ipod music is in a supported format, then it will show up but you will not see any play list or see any rhyme or reason to how things are organized.  I can't for the life of me figure out how Microsoft has better Ipod support than Sony does, but that is the way things are for the moment.  You'll have to do a bunch of button presses to get stuff off but it can be done.  Really, using TVersity to just stream music from your PC is easier.  If you are using a Mac, I'm not sure there is a compatable media server. 

Jensonb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By Jensonb
@PenguinDust: I believe Elgato makes a compatible solution for Mac users.
subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By subject2change
PenguinDust said:
Yes, if your Ipod music is in a supported format, then it will show up but you will not see ... [more]
TVersity is crap. PS3 Media Server is countless times better. PS3MediaServer.blogspot.com
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By penguindust
Subject2Change said:
PenguinDust said: Yes, if your Ipod music is in a supported format, then it will show up but you will ... [more]
Oh my goodness, you are soooo right.  Thank you for the heads up.  I immediately installed the latest version and am now watching my MKVs from my hard drive without having to convert them.  It is the best thing ever.
subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By subject2change

No problem, it is actually transcoding the MKV file but it doesn't take up hard drive space as its done within your RAM. It does require a fairly good computer to run it without any majort tweaking for HD stuff but if you are on a wired connection with atleast a core2duo system you will be fine. I've been using it for months now and love it; getting multiple audio streams and subtitles is quite possibly the easiest thing possible. I highly suggest donating to them as they provide the best media server experience for the PS3 as well as a highly praised one for the XBOX 360 (Despite its name :p it does work with the 360 with limited fastforward ability). You can also copy over the "transcoded" files to your PS3 so if you need to fastforward at say 120x you can with ease (otherwise it stutters at anything over than 10x on a wired connection).

TobyD81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 29

#9  Edited By TobyD81

As far as just plugging the iPod straight into the PS3, support isn't so good. It's great on the 360, where it'll read your playlists and all, but with the PS3 you kinda have to muddle through the files yourself. I really wish they'd change that.