#1 Posted by banishedsoul1 (294 posts) -

http://www.gamereactor.eu/news/45831/New+12GB+PS3+coming%3F/

What do you guys think about it? I think its pretty fail considering how much space ps3 games need these days. They are just trying to get the price down because HDD are expensive.

#2 Posted by Ace829 (2083 posts) -

It's most likely aimed at the crowd that only plays physical retail games, and it does look kinda cool.

#3 Posted by banishedsoul1 (294 posts) -

i pretty much only play retail games and the installs are huge on ps3.

#4 Posted by AjayRaz (12424 posts) -

@Ace829 said:

It's most likely aimed at the crowd that only plays physical retail games, and it does look kinda cool.

lots of physical retail games have mandatory installs

#5 Posted by crusader8463 (14419 posts) -

@AjayRaz said:

@Ace829 said:

It's most likely aimed at the crowd that only plays physical retail games, and it does look kinda cool.

lots of physical retail games have mandatory installs

I only ever play one game at a time on my PS3 and once I beat it I'm done. I have not broken the 10GB end of installs and even if I did I could just remove any old game I never use. If it's a signification drop in price I think it's fine for a lot of people.

#6 Posted by Ace829 (2083 posts) -

@AjayRaz said:

@Ace829 said:

It's most likely aimed at the crowd that only plays physical retail games, and it does look kinda cool.

lots of physical retail games have mandatory installs

fuck, I forgot that the PS3 had that retarded feature. Yeah this is pretty a silly SKU now that you brought that up.

#7 Posted by AjayRaz (12424 posts) -

@crusader8463: in the case of that, it sounds fine. it'll probably be tough for those who are owning a current gen console for the first time and decide to check out games like Metal Gear Solid 4 and GTA IV, which both have mandatory installs that come in at like, 5 gb each.

#8 Posted by crusader8463 (14419 posts) -

@AjayRaz said:

@crusader8463: in the case of that, it sounds fine. it'll probably be tough for those who are owning a current gen console for the first time and decide to check out games like Metal Gear Solid 4 and GTA IV, which both have mandatory installs that come in at like, 5 gb each.

There are a ton of examples for use cases on both sides of the argument. To each their own and everyone's mileage may vary.

#9 Edited by awesomeusername (4168 posts) -

It looks nice but for 12 GB's? Seems like a system that would work for people who don't play lots of games like CoD and sports games.

Edit: It also says "Sony's German PR chief Guido Alt commented that he knew nothing of the existence of such a console, when questioned by Gamereactor."so who knows if it's actually real or not?

#10 Posted by banishedsoul1 (294 posts) -

flash memory is also hella slow

#11 Posted by aacx97 (51 posts) -

@banishedsoul1 said:

flash memory is also hella slow

Fairly sure it is faster than a traditional HDD

#12 Posted by believer258 (11776 posts) -

@banishedsoul1 said:

http://www.gamereactor.eu/news/45831/New+12GB+PS3+coming%3F/

What do you guys think about it? I think its pretty fail considering how much space ps3 games need these days. They are just trying to get the price down because HDD are expensive.

Um - no. Massive storage in general is fairly cheap these days and laptop hard drives, which the PS3 uses, are pretty small, and I can't see anyone using a PS3 as their platform of choice, or even as a secondary platform, with only 12GB of storage.

#13 Edited by Miketakon (513 posts) -

I read on another forum that there was going to be a 500GB version. But I mean you could just buy a HDD.

#14 Posted by JJOR64 (18942 posts) -

To me it seems like they are just throwing this out to compete with Wii U.

#15 Posted by Vinny_Says (5700 posts) -

Can you still install 1TB drives like you used to?

#16 Posted by banishedsoul1 (294 posts) -

@believer258 said:

@banishedsoul1 said:

http://www.gamereactor.eu/news/45831/New+12GB+PS3+coming%3F/

What do you guys think about it? I think its pretty fail considering how much space ps3 games need these days. They are just trying to get the price down because HDD are expensive.

Um - no. Massive storage in general is fairly cheap these days and laptop hard drives, which the PS3 uses, are pretty small, and I can't see anyone using a PS3 as their platform of choice, or even as a secondary platform, with only 12GB of storage.

um yeah HDD are expensive ever since the flood the prices are huge. They have only just started to come back down here. Flash memory is very cheap you can get 16gb retail for like 12 bucks. even a small hard drive will be like 50$ retail.

#17 Posted by AiurFlux (902 posts) -

@banishedsoul1 said:

@believer258 said:

@banishedsoul1 said:

http://www.gamereactor.eu/news/45831/New+12GB+PS3+coming%3F/

What do you guys think about it? I think its pretty fail considering how much space ps3 games need these days. They are just trying to get the price down because HDD are expensive.

Um - no. Massive storage in general is fairly cheap these days and laptop hard drives, which the PS3 uses, are pretty small, and I can't see anyone using a PS3 as their platform of choice, or even as a secondary platform, with only 12GB of storage.

um yeah HDD are expensive ever since the flood the prices are huge. They have only just started to come back down here. Flash memory is very cheap you can get 16gb retail for like 12 bucks. even a small hard drive will be like 50$ retail.

Prices started going down a long time ago though. On Newegg, right now, I can buy a 3TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 6.0Gb/s drive for around 150. They are not expensive anymore. It's just stupid and lazy design to release something that barely covers the firmware and install of one bloody game. It's a waste of resources.

#18 Posted by believer258 (11776 posts) -

@banishedsoul1 said:

@believer258 said:

@banishedsoul1 said:

http://www.gamereactor.eu/news/45831/New+12GB+PS3+coming%3F/

What do you guys think about it? I think its pretty fail considering how much space ps3 games need these days. They are just trying to get the price down because HDD are expensive.

Um - no. Massive storage in general is fairly cheap these days and laptop hard drives, which the PS3 uses, are pretty small, and I can't see anyone using a PS3 as their platform of choice, or even as a secondary platform, with only 12GB of storage.

um yeah HDD are expensive ever since the flood the prices are huge. They have only just started to come back down here. Flash memory is very cheap you can get 16gb retail for like 12 bucks. even a small hard drive will be like 50$ retail.

Yeah, but that 50 bucks will, generally, net you at least 160GB. Not a puny 12. You've got to remember that 5 years ago, 160GB would cost you what a terabyte or two costs now. On that note, you can get a whole fucking terabyte for less than a $100 now, and you're telling me that's expensive?

#19 Posted by Turtlebird95 (2343 posts) -

You be out of memory just by downloading fucking updates.

#20 Posted by huntad (1931 posts) -

I thought the bottom picture was a toilet seat.

#21 Posted by Maginnovision (486 posts) -

@banishedsoul1 said:

@believer258 said:

@banishedsoul1 said:

http://www.gamereactor.eu/news/45831/New+12GB+PS3+coming%3F/

What do you guys think about it? I think its pretty fail considering how much space ps3 games need these days. They are just trying to get the price down because HDD are expensive.

Um - no. Massive storage in general is fairly cheap these days and laptop hard drives, which the PS3 uses, are pretty small, and I can't see anyone using a PS3 as their platform of choice, or even as a secondary platform, with only 12GB of storage.

um yeah HDD are expensive ever since the flood the prices are huge. They have only just started to come back down here. Flash memory is very cheap you can get 16gb retail for like 12 bucks. even a small hard drive will be like 50$ retail.

I bought a 750GB 2.5" hitachi travelstar from frys for 60$ 1 week ago.

#22 Posted by wafflez (524 posts) -

12gb?  Thats a joke right?  I'd be happy with a price drop on the current systems.. maybe I'd finally pick up a replacement unit..

#23 Posted by ZombieSpace (286 posts) -

Would make a good Fifa machine.

#24 Posted by PenguinDust (12484 posts) -

I wonder what the price will be. If they can sell it for $150 or under, then I think it's got a market.

#25 Posted by devilzrule27 (1239 posts) -

Doubt that the 12GB thing is true. That is a nice looking refresh though.

#26 Posted by thatdutchguy (1271 posts) -

useless

#27 Posted by devilzrule27 (1239 posts) -

I just realized this is that same rumour from July. Same exact pictures. It was rumoured then to come in a 160, 250, and 500GB HD sizes. CECH-4000 is the model registered with the FCC.