banishedsoul1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By banishedsoul1

http://www.gamereactor.eu/news/45831/New+12GB+PS3+coming%3F/

What do you guys think about it? I think its pretty fail considering how much space ps3 games need these days. They are just trying to get the price down because HDD are expensive.

No Caption Provided
Ace829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Ace829

It's most likely aimed at the crowd that only plays physical retail games, and it does look kinda cool.

banishedsoul1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By banishedsoul1

i pretty much only play retail games and the installs are huge on ps3.

bed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 24

#4  Edited By bed

@Ace829 said:

It's most likely aimed at the crowd that only plays physical retail games, and it does look kinda cool.

lots of physical retail games have mandatory installs

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By crusader8463

@AjayRaz said:

@Ace829 said:

I only ever play one game at a time on my PS3 and once I beat it I'm done. I have not broken the 10GB end of installs and even if I did I could just remove any old game I never use. If it's a signification drop in price I think it's fine for a lot of people.

Ace829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By Ace829

@AjayRaz said:

@Ace829 said:

fuck, I forgot that the PS3 had that retarded feature. Yeah this is pretty a silly SKU now that you brought that up.

bed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#7  Edited By bed

@crusader8463: in the case of that, it sounds fine. it'll probably be tough for those who are owning a current gen console for the first time and decide to check out games like Metal Gear Solid 4 and GTA IV, which both have mandatory installs that come in at like, 5 gb each.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8  Edited By crusader8463

@AjayRaz said:

@crusader8463: in the case of that, it sounds fine. it'll probably be tough for those who are owning a current gen console for the first time and decide to check out games like Metal Gear Solid 4 and GTA IV, which both have mandatory installs that come in at like, 5 gb each.

There are a ton of examples for use cases on both sides of the argument. To each their own and everyone's mileage may vary.

Avatar image for awesomeusername
awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By awesomeusername

It looks nice but for 12 GB's? Seems like a system that would work for people who don't play lots of games like CoD and sports games.

Edit: It also says "Sony's German PR chief Guido Alt commented that he knew nothing of the existence of such a console, when questioned by Gamereactor."so who knows if it's actually real or not?

banishedsoul1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By banishedsoul1

flash memory is also hella slow

aacx97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By aacx97

@banishedsoul1 said:

flash memory is also hella slow

Fairly sure it is faster than a traditional HDD

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#12  Edited By Justin258

@banishedsoul1 said:

What do you guys think about it? I think its pretty fail considering how much space ps3 games need these days. They are just trying to get the price down because HDD are expensive.

Um - no. Massive storage in general is fairly cheap these days and laptop hard drives, which the PS3 uses, are pretty small, and I can't see anyone using a PS3 as their platform of choice, or even as a secondary platform, with only 12GB of storage.

Miketakon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#13  Edited By Miketakon

I read on another forum that there was going to be a 500GB version. But I mean you could just buy a HDD.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14  Edited By JJOR64

To me it seems like they are just throwing this out to compete with Wii U.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#15  Edited By Vinny_Says

Can you still install 1TB drives like you used to?

banishedsoul1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By banishedsoul1

@believer258 said:

@banishedsoul1 said:

Um - no. Massive storage in general is fairly cheap these days and laptop hard drives, which the PS3 uses, are pretty small, and I can't see anyone using a PS3 as their platform of choice, or even as a secondary platform, with only 12GB of storage.

um yeah HDD are expensive ever since the flood the prices are huge. They have only just started to come back down here. Flash memory is very cheap you can get 16gb retail for like 12 bucks. even a small hard drive will be like 50$ retail.

AiurFlux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By AiurFlux

@banishedsoul1 said:

@believer258 said:

@banishedsoul1 said:

um yeah HDD are expensive ever since the flood the prices are huge. They have only just started to come back down here. Flash memory is very cheap you can get 16gb retail for like 12 bucks. even a small hard drive will be like 50$ retail.

Prices started going down a long time ago though. On Newegg, right now, I can buy a 3TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 6.0Gb/s drive for around 150. They are not expensive anymore. It's just stupid and lazy design to release something that barely covers the firmware and install of one bloody game. It's a waste of resources.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#18  Edited By Justin258

@banishedsoul1 said:

@believer258 said:

@banishedsoul1 said:

Yeah, but that 50 bucks will, generally, net you at least 160GB. Not a puny 12. You've got to remember that 5 years ago, 160GB would cost you what a terabyte or two costs now. On that note, you can get a whole fucking terabyte for less than a $100 now, and you're telling me that's expensive?

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

You be out of memory just by downloading fucking updates.

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#20  Edited By huntad

I thought the bottom picture was a toilet seat.

maginnovision

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By maginnovision

@banishedsoul1 said:

@believer258 said:

@banishedsoul1 said:

I bought a 750GB 2.5" hitachi travelstar from frys for 60$ 1 week ago.

wafflez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By wafflez

12gb?  Thats a joke right?  I'd be happy with a price drop on the current systems.. maybe I'd finally pick up a replacement unit..

ZombieSpace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ZombieSpace

Would make a good Fifa machine.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By penguindust

I wonder what the price will be. If they can sell it for $150 or under, then I think it's got a market.

devilzrule27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By devilzrule27

Doubt that the 12GB thing is true. That is a nice looking refresh though.

thatdutchguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By thatdutchguy

useless

devilzrule27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By devilzrule27

I just realized this is that same rumour from July. Same exact pictures. It was rumoured then to come in a 160, 250, and 500GB HD sizes. CECH-4000 is the model registered with the FCC.