PS3 vs 360 Sales

EdWood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By EdWood

Figured this would be a nice end of year recap.  

To date the 360 has sold over 31 million units (worldwide) while Sony has sold over 27 million (worldwide).  That is with the 360 having the year head start and multiple purchases due to the RROD.  Why is it that everyone talks down at the PS3 when they are only behind by such a  (relatively) small margin only being out 3 years to the 360's 4 years?  I do not understand where "failure" comes in to play here.  If the PS3 is such a failure then what does that say about the 360?  That it only leads hardware sales by 4 million against a "failed" console? 

At any rate I do not measure success by hardware sales but by the great games you can play.  Would you say the Wii has won based on hardware sales?  EVERYONE I know who owns a Wii BARELY plays it.  How is that a win?  In my personal opinion I would say the Wii has lost (even though I love Nintendo).  Happy holidays all!

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By EpicSteve

Lets not get into this discussion, but I've never seen anyone (who's rational) use the word "fail" to describe the PS3. Most people tend to lean towards the 360, that's just how it is.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Geno

Console success should be based on the quantity of quality games, where both are in comparison to the general market. And yeah, PS3 has been fairly close to Xbox 360 in terms of sales for some time now, yet people still refer to it as if it weren't successful. I guess the stigma from its launch still lingers. 

RaikohBlade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By RaikohBlade

And I care about who wins and loses...why?

Fbomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Fbomb

I think it's just relative success. PS2 was a runaway success, and now they've given up their dominant share of the market to Microsoft in just one generation, and Nintendo (whether you want to include them or not, it's errosion of share). In business, market share is everything, since it's a pure metric, and Sony got killed with the PS3 by giving up a ton of share to their competitors. That's why everyone talks about PS3 as if it were a failure.

EdWood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By EdWood
@EpicSteve:   Point taken about rational people, but there has been a general negativity when the PS3 has been talked about in the gaming press.  I know not all of the gaming press but the general negativity has been there.  I have read more articles on how the PS3 is all these negative things but the 360 gets a pass on the RROD.  Sure non-press folks were outraged but at the time the outrage of the gaming press came and went.  I am just saying if it were Sony with those high failure rates they would have been eaten alive.  A medium where videogame journalists all claim to be neutral they tend to slant the 360 way.  I hear it in podcasts today and still read it this very day.  Why can't the just be neutral and just give us the info instead of personal opinion which tends to lean towards slander?  I do not buy the excuse used by the gaming press that that is what they play on and where there friends play so it is natural to have some sort of favoritism.  I thought being a journalist wasn't about letting personal preferences sway your judgement but to simply give us the information and to let us (the readers) make that call.
ParanoidFreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ParanoidFreak
@Fbomb said:
" I think it's just relative success. PS2 was a runaway success, and now they've given up their dominant share of the market to Microsoft in just one generation, and Nintendo (whether you want to include them or not, it's errosion of share). In business, market share is everything, since it's a pure metric, and Sony got killed with the PS3 by giving up a ton of share to their competitors. That's why everyone talks about PS3 as if it were a failure. "
 I agree, it wasn't a failure, it just wasn't as successful as past attempts.
EdWood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By EdWood
@RaikohBlade:   First, if you do not care why post to this thread?  Second it is just a discussion and in a round about way I guess I am saying we really shouldn't care about the win/lose scenario?  All it comes down to is the games I can play, personally I could give a rat's ass if the Wii sold a billion units and the PS3 sold 80 million.  if you do not have the games and support I will not buy in to your console.
LiquidSwords

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By LiquidSwords

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By xyzygy

You also have to take in account software attach rates. Microsoft has really high software attachment rates... If you look at the sales of Uncharted 2 and Halo 3, Halo 3 sold so much more in it's first month then Uncharted 2's around 1 million, this was back when there were less 360's then PS3's now, if that makes any sense. And that's even after Uncharted 2 gained much, much more critical praise.

Also, if you look at things like Borderlands and Dragon Age, the 360 is usually the sales leader - last time I checked both, 360 Borderlands had 440,000 while PS3 had 118,000 and 360 Dragon Age had 400,000 while PS3 had around 190,000. The only exception to this I've ever heard of was Batman, but that was because it was the cheaper version for a while. I don't know maybe it still is cheaper. 

I think this shows that a lot of PS3 owners are using it only as a media device.

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11  Edited By Karmum
@EdWood said:

" Figured this would be a nice end of year recap.   To date the 360 has sold over 31 million units (worldwide) while Sony has sold over 27 million (worldwide).  That is with the 360 having the year head start and multiple purchases due to the RROD.  Why is it that everyone talks down at the PS3 when they are only behind by such a  (relatively) small margin only being out 3 years to the 360's 4 years?  I do not understand where "failure" comes in to play here.  If the PS3 is such a failure then what does that say about the 360?  That it only leads hardware sales by 4 million against a "failed" console?  At any rate I do not measure success by hardware sales but by the great games you can play.  Would you say the Wii has won based on hardware sales?  EVERYONE I know who owns a Wii BARELY plays it.  How is that a win?  In my personal opinion I would say the Wii has lost (even though I love Nintendo).  Happy holidays all! "

31 million was reported back in August. X360 probably has two or three more million than that. But it's close.
deadfm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By deadfm

I only care about the games.

Venom09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Venom09

For the past 3 years, these threads pop up. And for the past 3 years I have said...I don't care. It's personal preference, both consoles have their strengths. Yes, you're right, the 360 probably does have more sales because of people purchasing another 360. 
System wars will never end, but that doesn't mean it never gets old!

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#14  Edited By Snail
@LiquidSwords:    

I believe you meant to post this.
ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ninjakiller

Sony would still be behind Wii but would be blowing 360 out of the water it they weren't so stupid in charging $600 at launch, throw in $100 dollars more and you can built a screaming gaming rig for that price.  If they had launched with a price point of $400 we wouldn't even be having this conversation as 360 would be in distant third once again. 

Coombs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By Coombs

Everyone talks down about the PS3 because its just not as good,
Now dont get me wrong im not much of a 360 fanboy or anything, Im just stating my view.

The basis for this is because of all the people I know:

-The ones who own a 360 have no interest in a PS3, But the ones who own a PS3 always talk about wanting a 360

-And the people I know who have both have their PS3 being used for nothing more than dust collectors 90% of the time,
Except for a week or so every so often when a decent game comes out, Then its back to their 360

DanielJW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#17  Edited By DanielJW
@RaikohBlade said:
" And I care about who wins and loses...why? "
CornontheCobbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By CornontheCobbe

Well that was since August was it not? 31 million 360's and 27 million PS3's. But since Modern Warfare 2 came out i'd say sales went up.

And the Wii... only got one the other day and hardly played it haha.

Gruff182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Gruff182
@Coombs: 

lol.

That is all.
Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#20  Edited By Afroman269

Weird I could of sworn that the home page said Giant Bomb but I feel like I'm at Gamespot.........

Slippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21  Edited By Slippy
@ParanoidFreak said:
" @Fbomb said:
" I think it's just relative success. PS2 was a runaway success, and now they've given up their dominant share of the market to Microsoft in just one generation, and Nintendo (whether you want to include them or not, it's errosion of share). In business, market share is everything, since it's a pure metric, and Sony got killed with the PS3 by giving up a ton of share to their competitors. That's why everyone talks about PS3 as if it were a failure. "
 I agree, it wasn't a failure, it just wasn't as successful as past attempts. "
It's a mixed bag of big success stories and colossal failures. Over $4 billion dollars down the drain and only just about to turn a profit is a massive, embarassing failure compared to PS1 and PS2. It will take years to recover from this, possibly as far as next-gen. But perhaps Sony can just live with it as being an 'investment' into their chunk of the the market. They probably knew they weren't going to steamroll the competition as much this gen anyway. Also, I honestly doubt Blu-ray would have won the format war without the PS3, and peddling Blu-ray is obviously higher than gaming on Sony's agenda. They also accomplished setting up a free online infrastructure on day one, which has gone on to provide another revenue stream in the form of DLC, games and movies. It's starting to feel like PS3 is simply here to lay the ground work for all future PlayStation consoles - digital distribution, motion gaming, BR disc, etc. PS4 could indeed be huge as a result of PS3's failures, so in the long term it could be Sony left laughing.
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By iam3green

i don't care to much about who wins. i have both ps3 and xbox 360. it is great to have both of them. sony just needs to add more exclusives and it will be great. i can see later in a few years ps3 going up in sales.

stormdrill27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By stormdrill27

Fanboy people criticize ps3 even if they havent played it yet or have not fully played it those
people with both consoles say that xbox has better online even if they havent fully played the ps3 online alot of users havent gone online on ps3 and criticize it.
 the ps3 is the stronger console and will be the best if you fully experience it
and i will say nintendo lose like the GC EPIC  FAIL