PS4 and Xbox One in 2014, which one is the better choice?

Ockman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

I'm sorry if this topic comes up a lot, I honestly don't frequent these forums a whole lot. The only other forum I've been a member of for a long time is gamefaqs, and I feel like it's too full of fanboys or one company or the other to ever get a decent response.

Here's the truth though, I actually used to have a PS4, and I had to sell it for personal reasons where I needed quick cash to help out my family, and the PS4 was the fastest way I could get it. It's been several months since then, and I haven't had one since April. That being said, even when I did sell the PS4, I didn't find myself missing it a whole lot. I was going over all the games I had on it, and they were all available on my PS3 or PC in a perfectly playable fashion. I eventually got Watch Dogs for my PS3, and while I know that game was disappointing for most people, I was finding that a lot of games that are cross gen, really weren't that bad on last gen systems. When the Destiny beta came out, I played it for PS3 because I was curious how last gen would hold up, and once again I was surprised to see that it looked and ran pretty great to me. I kept thinking Destiny would be one of those games I'd have to get a PS4 again for, but now I'm not so sure. Upcoming games this year that are in question whether they'll be better on PS4, like Alien Isolation, and Dragon Age Inquisition, are kinda up in the air whether they'll still be decent on last gen. Even if they're not perfect, I have a feeling that they'll at least be playable to someone like me on PS3.

I feel like my decision to get a PS4 again would be easy if there were more games that I could ONLY play on PS4, but there are so few, and the ones that do exist or are coming out relatively soon, seem like they don't really sell the system on their own. All the cross gen games out there still seem perfectly capable on their last gen counterparts too. The one game I felt truly made me love my PS4 was Metal Gear Solid V Ground Zeroes. I played it on every platform, from PS3, PS4, and Xbox One, and it shined on the PS4 with the 1080p/60fps, still thought it was impressive on the other systems, but it blew me away on PS4...I can't wait for the Phantom Pain, but god knows when it'll actually come out. (I'm probably a bigger MGS fan than Dan, i have a FOX tattoo on my right arm)

Xbox One I feel is a little more compelling at least in the title selection part. While I was not a big fan of the fiasco Microsoft had with the reveal of the system, nor do I care for their practices, at least they have a few more games that make the system worth buying. I do appreciate Halo, and I must admit that Master Chief collection sounds like something I would love to play. Dead Rising 3 is still something I want to play (altho now that too is coming to PC), and while the list of exclusives aren't huge, it at least has more that I might check out. I also have a friend who seems to be dead set on getting an Xbox One first, because he loves Dance Central...I wouldn't normally let him decide on what platform I get, but if I do get any multiplayer games, he's the one I'd be playing them with. I must admit, I'm not really a fan of being the weaker hardware.

All this being said, it almost seems like I shouldn't get either one because the titles aren't there yet...but with my current situation, it's actually easier for me to get a new console this year, than it will be next year. I'll be moving next year, where my income will be more limited, and it's actually easier for me to get a console this year and still be alright for a while. I'm a gamer through and through, and the idea of not having at least one of these consoles when more games start coming out would drive me nuts. Which brings me here guys...I really could use some help making a choice. What would you do based on what I've said?

So sorry that this is so long. I just wanted to be as detailed as possible.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Corevi

If you can afford it get a PC instead. You will be able to get most games and they will run better and look better.

Otherwise just get whichever console has more games you want to play. It's worth mentioning that most multiplatform games are better on PS4 due to it being the market leader and more powerful.

Ockman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you can afford it get a PC instead. You will be able to get most games and they will run better and look better.

Otherwise just get whichever console has more games you want to play.

I actually did build a new PC last fall, so I got a fairly decent CPU, and such...but I never did buy a new video card for it. I'm still sporting my older GTX 560ti, and I've long thought about upgrading it, but I still have no idea what would be the best choice...PC graphics cards have been so stagnant lately, that I'd hate to buy one finally, and then have them finally release a decent upgrade. Even with what's available, I don't know what would really be worth it.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ockman said:

@corruptedevil said:

Otherwise just get whichever console has more games you want to play.

I actually did build a new PC last fall, so I got a fairly decent CPU, and such...but I never did buy a new video card for it. I'm still sporting my older GTX 560ti, and I've long thought about upgrading it, but I still have no idea what would be the best choice...PC graphics cards have been so stagnant lately, that I'd hate to buy one finally, and then have them finally release a decent upgrade. Even with what's available, I don't know what would really be worth it.

A 760 would definitely be worth it. The 800 series has been heavily delayed and won't be out till atleast Spring 2015.

Ockman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks for the advice. I may still do that, because a 760 isn't really that expensive, but I still may get one of the consoles for the fact that there may be something only on consoles I'd want.

I realize what I'm about to say is something that most people may not relate to, but I've always been the kind of person who really just likes to dip my hands into all kinds of games. Even if I don't like everything I play, I often try something out just to form an opinion on it, so I can personally critique it. Not having at least one of the new consoles would drive me nuts in the long run because it would limit my choices in the years to come.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By mike

PC, but then again I'm extremely biased against consoles and would only recommend one in a couple of very specific circumstances. Circumstances such as if you just couldn't live without Uncharted or Gears of War game, or if all of your friends were on a certain platform and you wanted to play games with them.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Corevi

@ockman: I totally agree, but right now I don't think the depth of games is there for either console to warrant their price yet. Maybe in a year once all the games shown at E3 are out it would be worth reevaluating. I was actually planning on buying a PS4 before they announced that MGS5 was coming to PC.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By ll_Exile_ll

If you're deciding based solely on the short term game selection (as in now to early 2015), it really comes down to whether you're more interested in Sunset Overdrive, Master Chief Collection, and Quantum Break or Driveclub, Bloodborne, and The Order: 1866.

Of course that's a bit short sighted considering how long these machines are going to be supported, so it probably wouldn't hurt to look a bit further ahead. Halo 5 or Uncharted 4, Gears of War or God of War, potential games from Lionhead and Rare or potential games from Naughty Dog and Sucker Punch? You know what games, series, and developers you're interested in better than any of us, so you know what system will have more of the games you'll be interested in.

Ockman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Ockman

@corruptedevil: Yeaaaahh, I saw that too, and it really got me excited. I don't think my PC in it's current state would do MGS5 justice, but with an upgrade it might.

Part of me is really excited those games are coming to Steam, but I'm one of those oddballs who kinda has always felt that MGS is a Playstation franchise, even though I know it's not. Plus while I do really like PC gaming more than I ever have before, I feel like if something's wrong with my computer that I forgot about, I might not reach that buttery smooth 1080p/60fps that I know Phantom Pain is gonna have on PS4. Like I said in the OP, god...Ground Zeroes just looked friggin amazing to me. I thought it looked alright on Xbox One because the 60FPS really helps but it was only 720 on that system. The1080 resolution on PS4 made it so much better. I found I was getting head shots so much easier on PS4 because of the higher resolution.

Ockman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ll_exile_ll: The thing that sucks is I kinda like them all, lol. I do like Halo more than Uncharted, but I'll still play both given the choice. Gears of War I think is better than God of War....Sony's first party stuff has never really blown me away. One thing that Sony does usually have going for it though is that oddball Japanese support that I like. I will occasionally pick up the weird Japanese game that most people might laugh at. Like I recently just finished Akiba's Trip, which wasn't the greatest game by any means, but I like that it was there. Xbox One probably won't get as much of that.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Wii U or upgrade your PC. PS4 pretty much just has a bunch of timed exclusive indie games and cross gen multiplats where the Xbox One has a collection of Halo games. Assuming you don't own one, you can get a Wii U for pretty much half the price of a PS4 or Xbox One, and it has a far bigger library of good exclusives right now, and has a couple more later this year. Upgrade your PC and you'll be able to play a lot of those indies the PS4 is getting AND superior multiplats. (And really, most of the big releases this year are multiplatform)

Ockman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@turtlebird95: I do have a Wii U actually (look at my avatar, love me some EarthBound and Nintendo, heh) and yeah, I tend to agree it has the best selection of exclusives so far. I can't deny that it's lack of sales and catching on have bummed me out this past year or so. Nintendo is doing the best they can, but man third parties do nothing but shit on the system. I think the gamepad is awesome, and I even ended up playing certain third party titles like Assassin's Creed 4 on Wii U because I think the gamepad screen adds something for the gameplay. I'm in the extreme minority though I guess.

I'll gladly get Hyrule Warriors and Bayonetta 2 this year. If Smash Bros does come this holiday, that might be fun for a bit too sadly I'm not much into Smash Bros cuz I have no friends here to play with :(

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ockman: Heh, yeah I thought you may have one but figured I should suggest it anyway. I agree, the gamepad is pretty neat and I wish third parties didn't avoid the Wii U like the plague, but what are you gonna do I guess. It is a Nintendo console afterall lol.

As for Smash, don't worry! I'm sure there will be plenty of duders willing to play against you when it comes out! (Hell I would! :D )

Mortuss_Zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Welp, as a Non-PC Gamer, I'd recommend... neither at the moment to be honest. Unless you've exhausted the 360/PS3's libraries entirely, which would be really impressive and I'm jealous, the games just aren't there yet. You said you're better buying now though, so I'd say PS4. I believe whole-heartedly that it will end up with the better exclusive set than XBone. MS will have some cool exclusives in the next year or so, but once things settle down they'll get confident again and let them slip to Sony. Just like Bioshock and Mass Effect. Sony never lets go if they can help it.

PS: F*** Yeah, Smash Bros!

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

Not gonna contribute, just gonna say at first I read the thread title as, "PS4 and Xbox One in 2014, which one is the better cake?"

In which case I'd definitely have to say PS4.

hollitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

For me, it's the PS4 with no contest. But I'm a huge fan of Sony's exclusives whereas most of Microsoft's don't do much for me. If I liked Microsoft's exclusives more, I'd probably get an Xbox One instead. Especially since they've dropped the price and the Kinect.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I have both next-gen consoles, and XONE is consistently my favorite to play on by far. I'm excited to see what Destiny and Sunset Overdrive actually are, and really looking forward to the Halo Master Chief Collection. Random indie things like below and Cuphead look really cool, and Lords of the Fallen I'm hoping to get and finally try out this year.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a0917a2494ce
deactivated-5a0917a2494ce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

PC. I had an Xbox One but sold it because of the really irritating interface. I have a PS4 but I almost never turn it on. I'm using the Wii U and the PC mostly.

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So first things first, if you're going to get something to play games on go with a PC.

As for your question about which system to buy it's kind of silly to judge a systems software offerings based solely on the launch year. We knew the games would not be that compelling when the systems launched for a while and it's lived up to those low expectations. The games for either system have been OK. So the question is which system should you buy based on the games to come.

That all depends on how you feel about the established franchises for each system and the coming exclusives. Since you had a PS3 and a PS4 before circumstances caused you to sell it why not just go with it again. It's the more powerful system and will probably be the primary system for devs. (We know how important that was based on the last generation).

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#20  Edited By Humanity

Should I get a PS4 or an XB1 guys? I love console games and I really want to have one of those consoles.

Get a PC.

Brilliant, every time.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Game Boy.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22  Edited By Bollard

@humanity said:

Should I get a PS4 or an XB1 guys? I love console games and I really want to have one of those consoles.

Get a PC.

Brilliant, every time.

It especially amuses me how the OP stated he avoided posting this on another forum because there are too many console fanboys... And instead ended up getting greeted by PC fanboys.

Admittedly the criticisms against the current console lineup are valid, and PC is still a good choice. I'm buying a PS4 soon anyway because I'm bad with money and want to play Fifa maybe.

extintor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#23  Edited By extintor

Naturally I'd like to own both but currently only own the Xbox One...

Neither console has a 'killer app' yet but both are selling incredibly well so by virtue of the market forces of supply and demand there will surely be some truly great games on both platforms.

You could just wait and see... a lot of people are still doing that

onyxghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Get both. Ten-twenty bucks a week and before you know it you'll have both. Pay cash. It will take a while, but there's no rush these systems will be around for at least eight more years

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@bollard said:

@humanity said:

Get a PC.

Brilliant, every time.

It especially amuses me how the OP stated he avoided posting this on another forum because there are too many console fanboys... And instead ended up getting greeted by PC fanboys.

Admittedly the criticisms against the current console lineup are valid, and PC is still a good choice. I'm buying a PS4 soon anyway because I'm bad with money and want to play Fifa maybe.

I will be buying a PS4 whenever that white Destiny bundle comes out just to finally have a next gen console. The XB1 is not available in my country yet or else it would be a really tempting proposition since I'm more invested in the MS ecosystem at this point.

That said I also have a PC but unlike most people I can't wait to escape from it and get back to console gaming. PC games are great but I really enjoy the relative ease of popping in a console disc and just playing the game rather than setting up resolutions and tinkering with details until I reach some compromise between performance and graphical fidelity. The Witcher 3 is the last game I'll probably play for a while on my PC as I have the expensive collectors bundle on pre-order. Don't get me wrong, PC games can really look spectacular but they do make you work for that quality and I'm pretty lazy.

I'm super excited about Dragon Age and I'm actually pretty happy that I'll be able to enjoy it while chilling back on my couch - blasphemy I know.

amafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@bollard said:

@humanity said:

Get a PC.

Brilliant, every time.

That's a fantastic reason to buy a console, or anything, really. I wouldn't have a single console, much less 4 and 2 handhelds if not for that very thing. Or 5 laptops.

As for the original question, it's the same as last time. Where are the exclusives you really want to play? Where are your friends playing?

Anything else, all the discussion about pee and 900 vs 1080 is just useless fanboy fluff. That said, given that Bloodborne is a PS4 exclusive, PS4 is clearly the correct answer.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@humanity said:

@bollard said:

@humanity said:

Get a PC.

Brilliant, every time.

I will be buying a PS4 whenever that white Destiny bundle comes out just to finally have a next gen console. The XB1 is not available in my country yet or else it would be a really tempting proposition since I'm more invested in the MS ecosystem at this point.

That said I also have a PC but unlike most people I can't wait to escape from it and get back to console gaming. PC games are great but I really enjoy the relative ease of popping in a console disc and just playing the game rather than setting up resolutions and tinkering with details until I reach some compromise between performance and graphical fidelity. The Witcher 3 is the last game I'll probably play for a while on my PC as I have the expensive collectors bundle on pre-order. Don't get me wrong, PC games can really look spectacular but they do make you work for that quality and I'm pretty lazy.

Yep, pretty much the same. I also have a PC (although it's 4 years now and I'd really like to upgrade soon), but that White PS4 is sexy, and Destiny doesn't seem like a terrible game to get so that I actually have something to play on it. Until MGSV went to PC I could at least blame that, but now all I've got to justify my purchase is N++ and getting The Witness early.

CByrne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a PC, PS4, and Xbox One. To my surprise I use the Xbox the most... (I don't use tv stuff either) So I don't know. If you play with friends go with the most popular platform amongst them. If not, go with your heart man! I wouldn't trust the what the internet says, I mean I'm on the internet... so yeah don't trust it. lol.

Budwyzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

First, upgrade your video card in your PC. HDMI extender over Cat6 to play in the living room, unless you have a Shield.

Everything coming out for the XBOne is hitting PC, so get a PS4 first.

cowman91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PS4 has Naughty Dog games

Xbox has Halo

Write them on pieces of paper, put them in a hat, blindfold yourself and pick one.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By SomeJerk

It's like with the PS3 and 360 differences with these machines, with the confirmed until 2016 titles:

Do you want Japanese games other than moneyhatted visual novels along with everything else? PlayStation 4
Aare you fine with Forza, Gears, Halo and getting the COD DLC before PC and PS4? Xbox One :/

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you already have a PC and Wii U, save your money until a good - or even decent - exclusive comes out on either console? Could even get a 3DS in the meantime and have the money needed when something worthwhile finally comes out.