#1 Posted by HolyCrapItsAdam (448 posts) -

I have decided that with my PS4, I am only going to buy games digitally but I have a couple questions before I commit fully to that practice. I don't know if Sony has announced or said anything regarding these questions but I was hoping somebody on this site might have the answer.

1. Are they gonna fix the horrible download speed?

2. Are they gonna require separate download and install files doubling the space required like they currently do?

3. Any idea about file size for these games?

Cheers

#2 Edited by nccows (50 posts) -

I think I heard a Sony rep say somewhere that they'll be improving download speeds. Even if they don't though, they do have that feature where you can start playing a game as it downloads, so that shouldn't be as much of a problem.

I haven't heard anything about the download/install issue.

I can only imagine those file sizes will be large, but as long as you store your saves in the cloud, deleting and re-downloading games shouldn't be much of a problem as long as you don't live somewhere with a bandwidth cap.

#3 Posted by MattyFTM (14328 posts) -

I'd assume that the main reason that they're charging for online is so they can sink a load of those funds into building a better online infrastructure and bring PSN upto the standard of Xbox Live. I don't believe Sony have said definitively, but with stuff like the gaikai streaming coming and all that, they HAVE to be improving their online infrastructure.

Moderator Online
#4 Edited by RustySanderke (117 posts) -

Is the slow download speed not largely the result of local decryption? In that case I expect it to be vastly improved with new hardware with a dedicated download chip.

The most important question is: will full retail games still cost €15~20 more digitally at launch?

#5 Edited by kaos_cracker (566 posts) -

I'm pretty sure they were saying there were trying to redo everything about the online because of how much hatred there is toward it. I'm sure they will have improvements.

#6 Posted by MattyFTM (14328 posts) -

The most important question is: will full retail games still cost €15~20 more digitally at launch?

I can't imagine Sony wanting to upset their retail partners, so they'll charge the full RRP for games on PSN when they launch. But the retailers will still undercut the RRP to compete with other retailers. So yeah, unfortunately they probably will still be more expensive on PSN than at retail.

Moderator Online
#7 Posted by awesomeusername (4153 posts) -

@mattyftm said:
@rustysanderke said:

I can't imagine Sony wanting to upset their retail partners, so they'll charge the full RRP for games on PSN when they launch. But the retailers will still undercut the RRP to compete with other retailers. So yeah, unfortunately they probably will still be more expensive on PSN than at retail.

If you get the game at launch, it's actually cheaper by $5 since PSN doesn't charge tax. I don't know about anywhere else. Plus, they sometimes give discounts for pre-orders if you have PS+. Metro: Last Light was $47 for PS+ members who pre-ordered on PSN.

#8 Edited by Scrawnto (2433 posts) -

@nccows: @holycrapitsadam: If you can play the game while it's downloading, it must be downloading the assets in a usable state right? It wouldn't make sense to start to download an installer and run it when it's only halfway loaded. It will probably be more like the launcher for an MMO that is a small program that manages the download of the game assets such that they can be used without going through a separate install/extraction process, except that this launcher is built into the system and can handle downloads of any game. That's my guess, anyway.

I wonder how much work it takes on the developer's part to get that working, and what happens if your internet goes down, after you start playing, but before the download finishes. Do you eventually hit a dead end? A screen that says, "To be continued, upon completion of download"?

Edit: I have just become aware that the 'small installer that downloads files for you' thing has already been done on the PS3 with The Last of Us. I guess that answers that question.

#9 Edited by Halfdeaf (70 posts) -

Is the slow download speed not largely the result of local decryption? In that case I expect it to be vastly improved with new hardware with a dedicated download chip.

I seem to remember someone talking about the local decryption but also a poor management of the PSN infrastructure. I download a lot of stuff from PSN and in my experience it has gotten better if not yet good.

Didn't Cerny acknowledge this specific problem at the launch event saying that they are aware of it and have plans to drastically improve the PSN experience?

@scrawnto said:

I wonder how much work it takes on the developer's part to get that working, and what happens if your internet goes down, after you start playing, but before the download finishes. Do you eventually hit a dead end? A screen that says, "To be continued, upon completion of download"?

I doubt that the rest of the game will magically appear when you're disconnected. I'm think there will probably be a set area/chapters/levels that you'll be able to play while the rest of the game is downloading. I just hope they will build in some kind of fail safe tp prevent problems if said situation arises.

#10 Edited by Scrawnto (2433 posts) -

@halfdeaf: Of course it won't just appear, I just wonder how exactly they'll handle those cases.

There are clearly some types of games that make more sense for that sort of functionality than others. Linear FPS games would be easy. Each chapter could have an asset list so that the thing knows exactly the set of files it needs to download before the next chapter is playable.

An Elder Scrolls game wouldn't be so easy. You can go basically anywhere right off the bat. They'd probably have to download almost everything before you could start playing to keep from negatively impacting the experience by blocking off areas. Maybe they could let you play the tutorial/character creation section early, but that's about it.

#11 Posted by Halfdeaf (70 posts) -

@scrawnto: Yeah, that's pretty much what I've been thinking too. I don't think they can manage this without the developer specifically making a build that supports this so I figure it's going to depend on the game. I don't remember Sony commenting on whether it's mandatory or optional.