#1 Edited by SpaceInsomniac (3555 posts) -
#2 Edited by spraynardtatum (2594 posts) -

I haven't seen a PS4 in a store since they came out.

#3 Edited by Darji (5294 posts) -

@spaceinsomniac said:

http://venturebeat.com/2014/02/13/january-2014-npd-playstation-4-extends-its-lead/

Tomb Raider on PS4 also outsold the Xbox One version by a 2:1 margin.

here are more comparisons:

Which SKU sold more:

• COD: Xbone
  • NBA: PS4
  • BF4: PS4
  • AC4: PS4
  • Madden: PS4
  • Fifa: PS4
  • Lego: Xbone
  • Tomb Raider: PS4

Hardware:

270K < PS4 < 272K

140K < Xbox One < 142K

48K < Wii U < 50K

#4 Posted by Crembaw (311 posts) -

I saw Four, coincidentally.

#5 Edited by spraynardtatum (2594 posts) -

@crembaw said:

@spraynardtatum said:

I saw Four, coincidentally.

4 PS4s?

#6 Edited by bigjeffrey (4768 posts) -

Pack it up ms

#7 Posted by Crembaw (311 posts) -
#8 Posted by SomeDeliCook (2224 posts) -

I've been seeing PS4's around lately. I finally have a friend who bought one too!

#9 Edited by Hailinel (23846 posts) -

I wonder how much the Titanfall release will change things.

#10 Posted by Crembaw (311 posts) -

I've been seeing PS4's around lately. I finally have a friend who bought one too!

Yes, but does it have games?

...Actually, when is the next big PS4 launch? It's not Second Son, is it? That's still a ways' off.

#11 Posted by Hailinel (23846 posts) -

@crembaw said:

@somedelicook said:

...Actually, when is the next big PS4 launch? It's not Second Son, is it? That's still a ways' off.

Second Son is Sony's next big title for it, but there are a few games coming. I've had the console since launch and Dynasty Warriors 8: Complete Edition is likely to be the first physical game I buy for it.

#12 Posted by Korwin (2824 posts) -

Not surprising

• More Buzz/Heat
  • Lower Price
  • Seems to have the lead on developer support
#13 Posted by big_jon (5709 posts) -

It's still selling really well, but hopefully this will get Microsoft to step up their game.

#14 Posted by Darji (5294 posts) -

@big_jon said:

It's still selling really well, but hopefully this will get Microsoft to step up their game.

worldwide it is really significant and in most countries the PS4 is still sold out. I have not seen a PS4 here in Germany since launch^^

US:

• PS4: 2,273,000
  • Xbox One:1,960,000

UK:

• PS4: 530,000
  • Xbox One: 364,000

Spain:

• PS4:157,000
  • Xbox One:35,000

France:

• PS4: 240k
  • Xbox One:126k

AU:

• PS4: Outsold the Xbox One
  • Xbox One:65,917*first 3 days*

Germany:

• PS4 250K
  • Xbox One 100K

Portugual:

• PS4:21k

And in 8 days the PS4 will launch in Japan as well.

#15 Posted by Demoskinos (14559 posts) -

@crembaw said:

@somedelicook said:

I've actually played quite a lot on it. Assassin's Creed 4, Don't Starve, Outlast, Battlefield 4 , Warframe, Tomb Raider And granted yes all of those can be played on a PC but if you held out and didn't buy those games on other platforms then you've got plenty to mess around with.

#16 Edited by Sergio (2044 posts) -

Neither have I, but Amazon just had a restock this week. I started seeing some Xbox Ones in the store this week at both Target and Best Buy. Even saw a guy buying an Xbox One at the latter, but he did ask if there were any PS4s in stock, so he'd probably end up with both consoles anyway. #anectdotal

#17 Edited by DonPixel (2585 posts) -

impressive for a system with killer apps such as Knack... not even fanboying out, more like impress with Sony, they did great PR this time around.

Good stuff indeed, I like the xbox brand but they were arrogant/unprepared for this gen, competition is a good thing, hopefully they get their shit together and use those MS millions wisely.

#18 Posted by bluefish (427 posts) -

My store is in a heavy Playstation are but we have had Xbox One's sitting on the shelf for the last week selling a little less than one/per day. When we get PS4's in we can usually go through our shipment (up to 9/day) the day they arrive.

So yea. Microsoft has some work to do.

#19 Posted by Milkman (16514 posts) -

Cool. It would be neat if some stuff actually came out for it now.

#20 Edited by Castiel (2527 posts) -

Xbox One:The Console to buy if you can't get a PS4.

#21 Posted by TruthTellah (8517 posts) -

Let's dance on its grave!

heh. Well, I hope to see more good titles on both new consoles. Just like last gen, the games will be the decider in the long run.

#22 Posted by Optix12 (610 posts) -

I am one of the PS4 buyers in January so I feel like Yoshida should send me a personal thankyou note for helping them reach a nice headline ratio like "2:1". On a more serious note, im not sure if it ran for you in america but gamestop UK has had a really good deal in the UK knocking off around £15 off the base console and for about half a week had the killzone bundle with ghosts for £385 (price error but they kept the price at that) (note the standard killzone bundle which is out of stock in most big places is £385).

So price reductions like that really help.

#23 Edited by NMC2008 (1231 posts) -

So did MS seal their fate with the Xbox One? Will the Xbox One be able to bounce back at ANY point during the generation? Will PS4 pull a Xbox 360 and dominate the Xbox One at every turn? Only time will tell, but this is NOT a good sign MS, you better start buying shit and securing REAL exclusives(no PC versions because what's the point in that? meaning nobody would need your console) and lower that price any way you can, otherwise you better get real used to this.

#24 Posted by Lumley (945 posts) -

Not surprised at all. I've got a Xbox One incidentally, I was more interested in the 2014 lineup, but I foresee Sony dominating this generation. I guess it's only a matter of time before I get a PS4 as well.

#25 Posted by isomeri (1223 posts) -

@lumley said:

Not surprised at all. I've got a Xbox One incidentally, I was more interested in the 2014 lineup, but I foresee Sony dominating this generation. I guess it's only a matter of time before I get a PS4 as well.

I don't think that Sony will dominate this gen, but Microsoft won't catch up until they make some serious price cuts or get a lot of exclusives out there. But like you I bought an Xbox One for the games and do see myself getting a PS4 in the future if multiplatform games continue to look and play better on that side.

#26 Posted by Yesiamaduck (898 posts) -

The UK was Xbox360 country last gen, to the point the term 'Xbox' was used ahead of anything else when it referred to playing video games... so the fact Playstation has taken the lead is kind of a surprise even with the negative press.

We will wait an see though, as time goes on more casual gamers will jump in and the Xbox ethos may appeal to them more... so for that reason I think it's a bit rash to say 'Sony will dominate this generation'

#27 Posted by guiseppe (2837 posts) -

Considering it (Xbox) hasn't even launched in some European countries, that doesn't surprise me. Even if it had, the PS4 has better hardware, costs less and doesn't have all the negative press in it's backpack. All that said, at launch, the Xbox One had the only game I was really interested in playing. Still bought a PS4.

#28 Edited by Darji (5294 posts) -

The UK was Xbox360 country last gen, to the point the term 'Xbox' was used ahead of anything else when it referred to playing video games... so the fact Playstation has taken the lead is kind of a surprise even with the negative press.

We will wait an see though, as time goes on more casual gamers will jump in and the Xbox ethos may appeal to them more... so for that reason I think it's a bit rash to say 'Sony will dominate this generation'

The XBox one is not build for the European market. All these TV features are pretty much useless in most of Europe or even in whole Europe. TV is handled much different in Europe than it is in the US. So I really doubt casual people in Europe will jump into a Xbox one even at a later date.

#29 Edited by EXTomar (4487 posts) -

The xbone will be probably be fine in the US. It is unclear if it has a chance in other places due to delays and backlash and appearance of "way to US-centric". Why by a clunky box that has a bunch of features that can't be used Europe or Asia or lots of other places?

#30 Posted by leftie68 (215 posts) -

@guiseppe said:

Considering it (Xbox) hasn't even launched in some European countries, that doesn't surprise me. Even if it had, the PS4 has better hardware, costs less and doesn't have all the negative press in it's backpack. All that said, at launch, the Xbox One had the only game I was really interested in playing. Still bought a PS4.

Just to clarify, the NPD data as reported by the OP is for the U.S. only. In other words the PS4 is being sold at a ratio of 2 to 1 vs. the Xbox One in the U.S. for the month of January. These figures don't consider other countries.

#31 Posted by Viking_Funeral (1731 posts) -

@hailinel said:

I wonder how much the Titanfall release will change things.

I've been curious about that as well, but anecdotally, all my friends who (mostly) only play CoD are not talking about Titanfall. The few friends who play CoD and know about it are a bit more informed about gaming in general. I get the impression that Titanfall is going to do a little less than Battlefield numbers, and not so much CoD numbers.

I think the sequel is where it is going to hit.

#32 Posted by Darji (5294 posts) -

@leftie68: scroll up a bit and you see other numbers collected via various news, and reports in sales threads.

#33 Posted by CByrne (187 posts) -

Yeah, I bought one at a best buy in January because I couldn't get one earlier. Got a One on black Friday.

Both of these systems need to do well Like last gen. I want good games on either platform....

#34 Posted by RazielCuts (2923 posts) -

Maybe Nintendo can buy Microsoft. /s

#35 Posted by GERALTITUDE (2903 posts) -

Maybe Nintendo can buy Microsoft. /s

lolcopter dude. Funny enough Lego apparently sold better on the bone? So I guess that's the new family machine? Wii would like to bone.

@hailinel: I get the feeling Titanfall won't shift much hardware early on. I'm thinking that most of the people who are early XB1 adopters are also people who were interested in Titanfall beforehand. So I bet Titanfall sells tons of software (a Halo effect where pretty much anyone who owns an XB1 will buy it). But since neither the name nor the developer mean anything to Joe Average mouth will need to move hard and fast to convince anyone to opt in. At least we know it will get great reviews considering how into the game the press are. The problem that I see is the PC version. If it turns out Titanfall is this amazing new thing, how many people will just get it for PC rather than pony up the price required for a new console?

#36 Edited by Deathstriker (307 posts) -

@crembaw said:

@somedelicook said:

I'm wondering that too. I want them both to do well, but just looking at games, the X1 should be doing better. It had the better winter exclusives and looking at spring so far I'd bet Titanfall > Infamous 3. I liked the past Infamous games, but the gameplay videos have been disappointing... it looks like they just replaced New Orleans with Seattle and electricity with fire and neon light. The Order doesn't multiplayer and is supposedly a Gears clone from what I've heard on certain podcasts. Luckily this a good year for multiplatform games.

#37 Posted by Jimbo (9772 posts) -

There's a danger of the momentum taking it so far away from Microsoft that it just becomes impossible for them to turn it around. Once we get to the 'I'll buy whatever most of my friends have' stage, and they mostly have PS4s, it will be hard for MS to convince them to go for an X1 instead.

That said, I think it's still up for grabs at the moment simply because Sony have failed to cement their early advantage by releasing a must-have game. It doesn't seem like they have one right around the corner either unless I've missed something. Things could look a lot better for Microsoft if Titanfall lives up to the hype.

#38 Posted by Sergio (2044 posts) -

@jimbo said:

There's a danger of the momentum taking it so far away from Microsoft that it just becomes impossible for them to turn it around. Once we get to the 'I'll buy whatever most of my friends have' stage, and they mostly have PS4s, it will be hard for MS to convince them to go for an X1 instead.

That said, I think it's still up for grabs at the moment simply because Sony have failed to cement their early advantage by releasing a must-have game. It doesn't seem like they have one right around the corner either unless I've missed something. Things could look a lot better for Microsoft if Titanfall lives up to the hype.

I don't think Sony has needed to cement the early advantage with a must-have game since they're selling every available unit already. Their global lead will continue to grow in the near future with additional markets, that they only really need to announce something at E3.

#39 Posted by TheHBK (5463 posts) -

The xbox sold 30 million consoles. The PS2 sold 150 million. I still enjoyed the Xbox more because the games were more geared toward me. I don't like JRPGs and I am not a fan of any of Sony's franchises. Everyone has their tastes.

#40 Edited by Tarsier (1056 posts) -

@big_jon said:

i think it will take a drastic rooting up of the systems of microsoft as a company .. sony has grown a lot. microsoft has crawled into its own ass, they cant see out.

#41 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

I am very surprised people are buying the cheaper, more powerful and more consumer friendly console.

#42 Posted by GunslingerPanda (4620 posts) -

Just went on shopto.net and they are already doing a sale on Xbones and bundles. Wow.

#43 Edited by Sergio (2044 posts) -

@thehbk said:

The xbox sold 30 million consoles. The PS2 sold 150 million. I still enjoyed the Xbox more because the games were more geared toward me. I don't like JRPGs and I am not a fan of any of Sony's franchises. Everyone has their tastes.

This is pretty much the only valid reason I've heard about picking an Xbox One over a PS4. Everything else I've heard from others are just BS excuses to try to justify one's purchase.

#44 Edited by EXTomar (4487 posts) -
@thehbk said:

Not that I think you are necessarily incorrect but this sounds just like the same stuff an old friend who was (or probably still is) the biggest Sega/Saturn fan would say. :)

#45 Posted by connerthekewlkid (1803 posts) -

@extomar said:
@thehbk said:

Not that I think you are necessarily incorrect but this sounds just like the same stuff an old friend who was (or probably still is) the biggest Saturn fan would say. :)

Now I know you lying because the Saturn had no fans.

#46 Edited by JohnTunoku (108 posts) -