So Kotaku's reporting on some PS4 rumors; It's codenamed "Orbis". I usually try to ignore rumours, but can't help but get a little excited after this extended console cycle. Some of this stuff sounds a little crazy; 4k res, anti-piracy measures built in and AMD southern island (7k series) GPU?
For those who don't wanna click though, here's the TL:DR version copypasta'd:
- Is called, or at least carries the working codename, "Orbis".
- Is scheduled for a Holiday 2013 release.
- Won't be backwards compatible with PS3 games.
- Will lock new games to a PSN account as an anti-used games measure.
- New games can be bought either on Blu-Ray or downloaded.
- Current specs are an AMD x64 CPU and AMD Southern Islands GPU
The dev portal thing and Orbis being latin, like the Vita, make me think they're onto something. Thoughts?
Update: Yep, codename's definitely Orbis, it seems. http://kotaku.com/5897139/sketches-of-playstation-orbis-features-surface-then-disappear
Also, someone pointed out Orbis is Latin for circle, forming "circle of life" when paired with vita. Maybe they're planning a better cross-platform experience this time around. Sure sounds like some pretentious shit Sony would make up.