@boylie: Ha, fair enough.

sopranosfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#102  Edited By sopranosfan

I don't really care about Backwards compatibility because I still have my PS2 around here somewhere if I get the itch to play an older game and I will do the same with my PS3. I am sure that if there is no backwards compatibility it will be because of them ditching the Cell Processor.

I have a major problem with not allowing used games and not because I buy many but because in my opinion if I can't sell it then I don't own it.

ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#103  Edited By ninjakiller

@Gargantuan said:

@ninjakiller said:

If there's no backwards compatibility then I guess i'm done with consoles.

Does your PS3 explode when the PS4 comes out?

Edit:
@mhadick: Sony will probably ditch the Cell so backwards compatability would be very hard to implement without extra hardware in the PS4 which is expensive.

Nope, but why clutter my entertainment system with two consoles by the same manufacturer?

zidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#104  Edited By zidd

@WilliamHenry: the disc is the delivery method for those on poor or capped connections and those who prefer a big shelf of games. as for consoles not going online since a lot of people use consoles to connect to services like netflix I think that the number of offline consoles is shrinking by the day.

Scrawnto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#105  Edited By Scrawnto

@Horrifying said:

@Drebin_893: Who knows. BC existed on home consoles for what, one gen? Even then, I only remember the ps2 being BC at the time. Only other thing i can think of is Game Boy games. Never had a SNES of my own, could you jam NES carts into it? D:

Huh, now that I think about it, the number of backwards compatible consoles can be counted on one hand, if you don't count portables. It's weird that it's become such a sticking point for people.

I think the part that I'm most curious of is the console using a 7k series amd video card. Consoles usually use video cards that are based on architecture at least a generation old at the launch of the console to keep down costs. I wonder if that card will still be current in 2013, or if it will be somewhat dated, much like the PS3's card was in '06. Also, I really hope these things have a decent amount of RAM this time around. Too many games have to do goofy texture streaming tricks these days.

But hey, rumors. A lot of these points are likely just educated guesses, with the rest being wild speculation.

dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#106  Edited By dichemstys

I think the account locking is a pretty good idea, but they can't lock accounts to consoles, since consoles break and then you're fucked. It's a pretty good way to stop used game sales, worked on PC.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#107  Edited By Bollard

@GunslingerPanda: Maybe you're right, that was quite a while ago, I still think HD had been on the market a little more than just a year or so as it will be in this case? I don't know either.

usgrovers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By usgrovers

I can understand no backwards compatibility due to technical limitations, but required online and locking games to an account is not going to end well. There are too many (non-enthusiast for the most part) gamers who rely heavily on the secondary market, and there is a noticeable percentage of consoles that are offline. I don't see Sony and Microsoft taking this approach, but we'll see if they retain their sanity.

edit: I can only imagine what would have happened if they had "mandatory" HD when years into the lifecycle a near majority of consoles were still on SD TVs.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#109  Edited By ArbitraryWater

I'm going to guess that most of these are straight up lies. Kotaku is the modern video game equivalent of yellow journalism.

horrifying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#110  Edited By horrifying

@Scrawnto: Didn't really think about BC either 'til this thread. Probably 'cause I'm not a crazy person and buy consoles for new games. D: Anyways...The GPU thing is weird, but If late 2013 is correct, a new series of cards should be out or close to launch by then.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By mordukai

@GS_Dan said:

@Winternet: Oh Kotaku, the pinnacle of journalism. :D

I bet Jaffe will have a few choice words on that matter.

yukoasho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#112  Edited By yukoasho

@GooieGreen said:

But... people seem to forget that these are rumors.

THIS.

Also, allow me to shower some praise onto Giant Bomb for their not putting this up on the site like it was fact. and the rest of the crew deserve a cookie for sticking to the idea of journalistic integrity.

@MattyFTM said:

@Horrifying said:

• Will lock new games to a PSN account as an anti-used games measure.

I remember the exact same rumour about the PS3. There were going to be CD keys that attach games to your system and make reselling your game impossible. It didn't happen. It won't happen this time either.

Agreed. Also, if they're going to do this with the PS4, why didn't they with the Vita? Food for thought.

TobyD81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 29

#113  Edited By TobyD81

Lots of rumory stuff. I hope the game-locking system doesn't pan out; it didn't even when it was proposed for PS3. It'd be nice to see download games priced a good bit cheaper than discs, though I wouldn't bet on it. Though that really would help end used-game sales and send more money to publishers. Whatever...I want to see games and features before calling it.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By mordukai

@Sooty said:

AMD? Seriously? That's a bad idea, they're doing awful compared to Intel right now. But maybe future processors will be better.

It won't really matter with consoles if it's Intel and AMD for the CPU. Developers have offloaded most of the game processing off of the CPU so the GPU is where people should be looking. If it's AMD for the GPU then Sony's in good hands. AMD are doing great in the mobile GPU market and if the rumors are current and the GPU is based off of their 7xxx series then the PS4 will indeed be a game developer wet dream.

My hopes is that MS get the message developer have been screaming at console makers and also go with AMD. Can you imagine how easy game development will get if both consoles use almost the same architecture? Can you imagine how great console games will be if the developer will spend less time porting them and getting to work on multiple platform then refining gameplay and performance? Besides it'll be awesome to see fanboys arguing over who's got the better hardware.

pw2566ch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By pw2566ch

@Vonocourt said:

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

It will be called Playstation 4,

Will lock new games to a PSN account, well that will be the death of Sony, seriously who pirates on a PS3 anyway? Isnt it the hardest to hack.

For a while, then it was the easiest to hack. Don't know about it's current state though.

The scene is still around. Theres just no custom firmware for the latest firmware. The last CFW made was 3.55. So any games requiring 3.56 and up wont work.

MAGZine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By MAGZine

@usgrovers said:

I can understand no backwards compatibility due to technical limitations, but required online and locking games to an account is not going to end well. There are too many (non-enthusiast for the most part) gamers who rely heavily on the secondary market, and there is a noticeable percentage of consoles that are offline. I don't see Sony and Microsoft taking this approach, but we'll see if they retain their sanity.

edit: I can only imagine what would have happened if they had "mandatory" HD when years into the lifecycle a near majority of consoles were still on SD TVs.

Yeah because that ended just peachy for the consumer on the PC. New games that require a constant internet connection are still coming out, and CD key registration has been around forever.

Welcome to the next-generation of consoles...

Jay444111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By Jay444111

If either PS4 or the Xbox720 will be digital only/no used games. They may as well take a cyniade capsule and just die. I am dead serious. Console DRM will be WORSE than anything Ubisoft has ever done. I can garentee you guys this with 100% certainty with my personal expierences with windows live ID. (don't want to talk about it now. To damn stressful to think about.)

Hell, it sounds like the Wii U may be the only used game playing system. It will probably end up the best system because of that! Once you tell people about how you don't really 'own' your games. the faster they go the way things SHOULD go.

Physical and digital can coexist people! Look at the PC, I can either buy fallout 3 on steam or I can buy it on disc, THAT SIMPLE! Hell, I can buy a USED DISC of fallout 3 and it still works. With how both parties deal with prices on their services, people should be very very afraid.

Jay444111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By Jay444111

@MAGZine said:

@usgrovers said:

Yeah because that ended just peachy for the consumer on the PC. New games that require a constant internet connection are still coming out, and CD key registration has been around forever.

Welcome to the next-generation of consoles...

Except those DRM services are failing and are causing the developer and publishers to lose shittons of cash due to the fact that it has DRM. Hell, Ubisoft in terms of PC games is in TATTERS as of now. They shouldn't even try anymore with how much money they are losing.

Also CD keys are a better idea as long as they have infinite usages. They work and aren't as obscucting as DRM is at all.

MAGZine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By MAGZine

@Jay444111: You mean like steam? Origin? Not all of their games require online connections, but lots do.

In the end, publishers can do whatever the hell they want, and there isn't too much the consumer can do about it. DRM is here to stay, and it'll surely find its way in to new consoles - in a more profound way than ever before.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By RE_Player1

Nope.

Jay444111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By Jay444111

@MAGZine said:

@Jay444111: You mean like steam? Origin? Not all of their games require online connections, but lots do.

In the end, publishers can do whatever the hell they want, and there isn't too much the consumer can do about it. DRM is here to stay, and it'll surely find its way in to new consoles - in a more profound way than ever before.

Dude... I already know it with Windows live ID on xbox personally...

But even then, DRM is going to die out on PC's eventually. Just give it a good 5 years and it'll die out for good. Consoles though, if they were to be DRM based as PC's games like Ubisoft. Then they will fucking die out to anyone who CAN let them play what they want to play. If the Wii U is the only system next gen that is going to let you play used games. I can garentee it will sell the most due to that reason alone.

Also low development costs of making those games. But being high enough so shovelware people stay away is another good thing as well.

benspyda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#122  Edited By benspyda

No used games or backwards compatibility don't sound like selling points to me. Then again I'll probably buy it anyway.

Lively

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By Lively

@Jay444111 said:

But even then, DRM is going to die out on PC's eventually. Just give it a good 5 years and it'll die out for good.

DRM on Computers isn't going anywhere, there's too much to lose. Ideally, it publishers will shy away from really annoying DRM like limited activations and "always-on" requirements.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#124  Edited By jakob187

@MattyFTM said:

@Horrifying said:

I remember the exact same rumour about the PS3. There were going to be CD keys that attach games to your system and make reselling your game impossible. It didn't happen. It won't happen this time either.

It won't happen just like no one would lock away the multiplayer portion of a game behind some form of online pass key. O_O

It absolutely could happen, and I'd be okay with it. What does it honestly matter? People whine and bitch all the time about used game stores like GameStop, but then they get pissed if someone is going to do something to kill the used games market...so people whine and bitch that the used games market might get closed out?

PEOPLE ON THE INTERNET COMPLAINING FOR THE SAKE OF COMPLAINING!

As for the rest of the rumors, I'd be fine with all of them...except the name. People get worried about backwards compatibility, but most people don't go back and play PS2 games unless they have gotten released onto the PSN Store anyways. Therefore, it's just another stupid virtual thing people will bitch about because...PEOPLE ON THE INTERNET COMPLAINING FOR THE SAKE OF COMPLAINING!

Also, I really hope they don't use Spider-Man font again.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#125  Edited By Marz

ps3 Cell processor is probably still expensive to make and integrating it into PS4's was out of the question for backwards compatibility and having a reasonable starting price, now that they are moving towards a normal CPU x GPU architecture.

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#126  Edited By tourgen

This just sounds like a mediocre PC.

plus a lot of weird restrictions like only 1 choice of OS (and a pretty bad one too), one gatekeeper for all code you an run or games you can buy.

Consoles may in fact be a dying bread.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By iam3green

well interesting. i hope that the account locking won't happen, and used games. i sometimes enjoy buying a used game when the game has been out for a couple of years. i had to buy uncharted 1 used because i couldn't find it at the gamestop that i usually go to and went to gamecrazy to get it.

Max_Cherry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By Max_Cherry

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

@MattyFTM: Not with about 20% of PS3s not connected to the internet.

Including mine.

Sticky_Pennies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#129  Edited By Sticky_Pennies

PS4 rumors "beginning" to surface? All kinds of stuff has been rumored, for years.

Avatar image for michaelfossbakk
michaelfossbakk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By michaelfossbakk

Guess I won't be borrowing any PS4 games from my friends...

williamhenry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#131  Edited By williamhenry

@jakob187 said:

@MattyFTM said:

@Horrifying said:

It won't happen just like no one would lock away the multiplayer portion of a game behind some form of online pass key. O_O

It absolutely could happen, and I'd be okay with it. What does it honestly matter? People whine and bitch all the time about used game stores like GameStop, but then they get pissed if someone is going to do something to kill the used games market...so people whine and bitch that the used games market might get closed out?

You act as if people complain about Gamestop because they sell used games. People complain about Gamestop because of their intrusive sales techniques, not because they sell used games. Not liking Gamestop and wanting the used game market to be destroyed are not the same thing. There are numerous other places where people buy and sell used games.

If the next set of consoles really do lock out used games, Microsoft, Sony, and the publishers better be prepared for the incredible losses they are going to have. I know for a fact that I won't buy a new console that doesn't play used games. I'll find a new hobby or switch to PC gaming full time instead. I don't even buy used games, but I do sell my games when I am done and was a pretty avid Gamefly user until recently. If the only way for me to play games is to buy them new, then I'm done with consoles. The only way this scenario is in any way appealing is if they cut the price of games by at least $20, which is never going to happen.

prestonhedges

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By prestonhedges

@Horrifying said:

Fuck. That.

Actually, I guess if you download them it's just like Steam. And people like Steam, right?

But this is a bullshit rumor. Kotaku's the source? Pffft.

FordFairlane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By FordFairlane

Once Sony or MS announce, the DRM issue will have to be laid out immediately or all of their PR is going to be ruined. Try to stay on message when the first 20 questions at any press event or interview are about DRM and Used Games.

Seems like a bad idea; the core market they count on to launch consoles might not buy used, but usually considers DRM a four-letter word.

Otacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By Otacon

I really don't expect BC going forward, it would be nice to have, but of its a choice between that and paying less for new hardware I'd choose the latter. 4k support sounds ridiculous, but I guess if they're in for the long haul then it would make some sense. Also, this thing won't be called the Playstation Orbis, the numbered thing feels so ingrained in playstation and also Orbis sounds kind of geeky.

DukesT3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By DukesT3

People still rent movies, via redbox and the film industry is still trucking along. I just wish that with new tech it would help drive the cost of game development DOWN which is the problem with the industry cause if you want a AAA game you need to spend a bajillion dollars or something. Which is not really a good thing..

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By Enigma777

No backwards compatibility is fucking dumb. I understand why'd they do it and it makes financial sense, but it's still fucking dumb. I wish they'd give us the choice of purchasing a more expensive PS4 model with the Cell chip inside or something, but to be honest the chances of that are slim to none.

So, so dumb.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By Enigma777

@mordukai said:

Can you imagine how easy game development will get if both consoles use almost the same architecture? Can you imagine how great console games will be if the developer will spend less time porting them and getting to work on multiple platform then refining gameplay and performance?

You are literally living in dreamland if you think developers would use the extra time and resources to refine the gameplay and performance. Most likely? Ship the game a few months sooner. Dev cycles are already getting shorter and shorter each year and AAA games are getting rushed out the door as fast as possible so I wouldn't be surprised is this just reinforces the yearly cycle trend.

Avatar image for willthemagicasian
WilltheMagicAsian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Otacon said:

I really don't expect BC going forward, it would be nice to have, but of its a choice between that and paying less for new hardware I'd choose the latter. 4k support sounds ridiculous, but I guess if they're in for the long haul then it would make some sense. Also, this thing won't be called the Playstation Orbis, the numbered thing feels so ingrained in playstation and also Orbis sounds kind of geeky.

Sony is definately going to be pushing 4K TVs within the next decade, so it makes sense to make their all-in-one type of console support that res video wise. There's zero chance we'll see games running at that res natively though.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By xyzygy

Since I already have a PS3, backwards compatibility means nothing to me. However, if the rumors of no used games are true, no PS4 for me. Same goes for the next Xbox, although haven't those been debunked? The WiiU is looking mighty fine right now.

iBushido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By iBushido

They want to remove the option of trading or borrowing games from friends, and buying used games? I'm still assuming these are nothing more than rumors, because I can't imagine Sony being that stupid. What they should be doing is figuring out a way to get a piece of the action in the used game market, rather than trying to eliminate it altogether. Maybe create some type of incentive program for gamers who buy greatest hits games that are not used. Throw in more DLC on the discs for free, give them more options or bonus features, etc. I know this might piss off people that paid for the game when they were 60 bucks and didn't include the DLC, but they'd lose a lot less money doing that than making a console that can't play used games. They could also lengthen the time it takes for games to get a price drop or get new versions with DLC included, then there'd be a big enough drawback to not buying it right away, but still make it worth the wait for people that can't afford to get new games right away.

The reason I say this is that people in entertainment don't acknowledge the financial range of their target demographic. People who can't afford the games they want are pretty much ignored by the industry, which leaves them with 4 options: piracy (bad for developers), buy the games used (bad for developers), borrow from friends (bad for developers), or wait forever until the prices drop (least bad for developers). This is why the industry is losing money. Instead of trying to change the last option from least bad to actually beneficial, they're instead trying to eliminate the other options, which basically turns poor gamers into enemies. Try making them happy and see how it works out.

viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#141  Edited By viking_funeral

@Marz said:

ps3 Cell processor is probably still expensive to make and integrating it into PS4's was out of the question for backwards compatibility and having a reasonable starting price, now that they are moving towards a normal CPU x GPU architecture.

That's what I wanted to say about the backwards capability, but wasn't sure if I was using the right terms.

@tourgen said:

This just sounds like a mediocre PC.

plus a lot of weird restrictions like only 1 choice of OS (and a pretty bad one too), one gatekeeper for all code you an run or games you can buy.

Consoles may in fact be a dying bread.

Consoles won't die for the same reason Apple won't die: It's perfect for people who just want to plug in and go, without having to worry about specs or compatibilities. The difference being is that Apple tends to be more expensive, while consoles are relatively cheap in comparison.