PS4 will not have 8gb DDR5 Ram

• 102 results
salad10203

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Sorry, had to make this topic. People are going crazy claiming it will have 8gb od DDR5 ram and it simply isn't true. Their GPU will have DDR5 and maybe share some with the CPU with their unified die. Still very pumped for PS4, likely my first Sony console.

Kerned

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Dance Dance Revolution is the best RAM.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

Did your uncle tell you this?

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By morningstar

Elaborate?

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

My uncle called his uncle to tell him it wont have 8 gigs or DDR5.

Wacomole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bu..bu..but if I have 8 apples and I share 2 with my friend Seepee-You, don't we both together still have a total of 8 apples?

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By pr1mus

Why exactly did you have to make this thread to clear something up if all you're going to say is no?

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By Blu3V3nom07

@moleyuk said:

Bu..bu..but if I have 8 apples and I share 2 with my friend Seepee-You, don't we both together still have a total of 8 apples?

Apple tells you to throw away get another apple..

salad10203

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DDR5 only exists in very small quantities. GDDR5 is more common. DDR5 in 8gb quantity (to my knowledge) does not exist. So PS4 has DDR3, didn't mean to troll.

SlashDance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Their press release says 8gb of unifiedGDDR5 memory. So, they're lying ?

salad10203

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slashdance: I think they are "somewhat" lying. It would be akin to a Hybrid SSD+HDD drive. Its a unified 500gb hyrbid drive, but only 32gb is SSD. Its likely 8gb of DDR3 with some shared GDDR5.

TrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, their spec sheets specifically state 8 GB GDDR5 RAM. Time to abandon the ship called xbox. Jump Out.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#14  Edited By Kidavenger

Let's all be thankful what exists isn't limited to saladman's "knowledge"

salad10203

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By salad10203

@trafalgarlaw: Well in that case, they are lying. Don't get me wrong, I am pumped for PS4, but having 8 GB of GDDR5 would cost thousands of dollars alone.

TrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By TrafalgarLaw
pw2566ch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, I was wondering why everyone was mentioning this. The highest type of RAM I have seen was DDR3. The highest GPU memory I've seen was GDDR5 and that went up to 4GB (not saying the PS4 GPU will have 4GB). As soon as I heard 8GB of memory, I immediately knew it was RAM and not GPU memory.

Also, why use an APU? I understand the streamlining, but wouldn't that limit what developers can do compared to a separate GPU and CPU?

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

I thought they said it would? I'll go back and look.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@trafalgarlaw: Well in that case, they are lying. Don't get me wrong, I am pumped for PS4, but having 8 GB of GDDR5 would cost thousands of dollars alone.

Thousands. As in 2000$ or more.

No really.

lol

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@salad10203 said:

DDR5 only exists in very small quantities. GDDR5 is more common. DDR5 in 8gb quantity (to my knowledge) does not exist. So PS4 has DDR3, didn't mean to troll.

Why does it have to all be on one stick? The PS4 straight-up doesn’t have DDR3 RAM, unless they’re blatantly lying about a very specific and trivially disproven detail.

I don’t get what your angle is here.

Yeah, I'm not sure what it all being on one stick has to do with anything, here. My current cards have 4gb DDR5. The newest NVIDIA cards (or is it ATI?) have 6gb. I don't see 8gb as being unrealistic. Also, of course it's shared between system and VRAM. Didn't we all assume that would be the case?

This is why PS4 can give PCs a run for our money for a bit, too. PCs are still bogged down by the fucking 4gb RAM/VRAM target with (generally) lower resolution textures than we could have. Maybe this will wake us up and we'll quick-step it a bit.

salad10203

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pr1mus: ?
@trafalgarlaw:
Key word is "unified", like I said about hybrid SSD+HDD. I am not sure, but it will likely have 1gb of GDDR5 and 8gb of DDR3 ram. Thats still better than xbox, relax.

Grimluck343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Grimluck343
Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kidavenger said:

That made me laugh way too hard.

salad10203

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

*Sigh*, goodbye

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By pr1mus

@salad10203: GTX 670 have 4GB of GDDR5 and cost 400$ each. That memory is obviously not the whole cost of the card and that's the cost the consumer pays for one unit of the card. Try again to say that 8 GB would cost thousands.

TrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By TrafalgarLaw

@salad10203 said:

@pr1mus

: ?

@trafalgarlaw:

Key word is "unified", like I said about hybrid SSD+HDD. I am not sure,.

Oh but your thread title brims with confidence that the PS4 won't have GDDR5. I say lock this thread for being a waste a space and for misinformation.

flasaltine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No it has 86x the cpu processing power of the PS3 cell. That means lots of RAM and hard drive space to make graphics great.

Wacomole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pr1mus

: ?

@trafalgarlaw:

Key word is "unified", like I said about hybrid SSD+HDD. I am not sure, but it will likely have 1gb of GDDR5 and 8gb of DDR3 ram. Thats still better than xbox, relax.

You're not sure? You know what would make you a bit more sure of the facts? Reading the ones released in black and white.

Did you read the pdf document that he posted? Multiple times it was mentioned that GDDR5 is used for the memory. No mention in the specs at all of DDR3.

No ambiguous phrasing like "It might have GDDR5" or "We would like it to have 8gb DDR5".

Do you really think that Sony are lying here? That's really bizarre.

flasaltine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ill take 50GB Blu-ray and 1TB HD over 8GB GDDR5.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Branthog

It has 8GB of memory. It is DDR5. Yes, it is shared. It's the same as the PS4 devkits.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I can't help but feel this is going to cost $500.

pw2566ch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@branthog said:

@grantheaslip said:

@salad10203 said:

Why does it have to all be on one stick? The PS4 straight-up doesn’t have DDR3 RAM, unless they’re blatantly lying about a very specific and trivially disproven detail.

Yeah, I'm not sure what it all being on one stick has to do with anything, here. My current cards have 4gb DDR5. The newest NVIDIA cards (or is it ATI?) have 6gb. I don't see 8gb as being unrealistic. Also, of course it's shared between system and VRAM. Didn't we all assume that would be the case?

This is why PS4 can give PCs a run for our money for a bit, too. PCs are still bogged down by the fucking 4gb RAM/VRAM target with (generally) lower resolution textures than we could have. Maybe this will wake us up and we'll quick-step it a bit.

It's an APU. Shared CPU and GPU in one chip. I could be wrong, but I doubt that there would be 8GB of VRAM. Hell I doubt that they would use 4GB.

Dauthi693

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Dauthi693

@branthog said:

It has 8GB of memory. It is DDR5. Yes, it is shared. It's the same as the PS4 devkits.

Its GDDR5

@pw2566ch said:

@branthog said:

@grantheaslip said:

@salad10203 said:

It's an APU. Shared CPU and GPU in one chip. I could be wrong, but I doubt that there would be 8GB of VRAM. Hell I doubt that they would use 4GB.

I think Salad10203 is right it's not DDR5 i'm sure its GDDR5. Which is alot more readily available.
ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

They're actually underselling the specs. It'll have 78,000 RAMs, a five billion yottabyte HDD, 50,000,000,000 Nvidia GTX Titans, 7 googolplexcore AMD CPUs, and blast processing. It'll also have a "Batman" button on the console that makes Batman pop out and give you a cookie. I know because my friend's dad is Kaz Hirai, and he gave me three PS4s. You can't see them, though.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Branthog
@pw2566ch said:

@branthog said:

@grantheaslip said:

@salad10203 said:

I wasn't saying that it was 8GB of dedicated VRAM. It's 8GB of RAM, shared between the system and the GPU. I believe you're right about the chip, though. I recall the early devkits being rumored to have one of the AMD APUs.

@sooty said:

I can't help but feel this is going to cost $500.

That seems very reasonable to me. Actually, that almost seems excessively reasonable for what it comes with. An almost one-year-old GTX 680 still costs $500.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shagge said:

They're actually underselling the specs. It'll have 78,000 RAMs, a five billion yottabyte HDD, 50,000,000,000 Nvidia GTX Titans, 7 googolplexcore AMD CPUs, and blast processing. It'll also have a "Batman" button on the console that makes Batman pop out and give you a cookie. I know because my friend's dad is Kaz Hirai, and he gave me three PS4s. You can't see them, though.

All i care about is how many axis in the controller.

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

RAM is pretty cheap nowadays, so RAMtastic.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@pr1mus said:
@shagge said:

All i care about is how many axis in the controller.

Fir.

... Fir... axis... like thems guys what made Civ... no? Nothing? Not even a titter? Hokay...

Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shagge said:

And Im related to your friend so I completely agree with everything that was posted above

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why are people saying it's better than Xbox... did I miss something? When did Microsoft release the official specs for the next Xbox?

MAGZine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@donpixel said:

...not gddr 5.

Unless if cars are cheap nowadays, so audis are affordable.

DaMisterChief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Get Randy Pitchford on the phone, he'll spin this shit and convince you it is

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@branthog said:

Its GDDR5

@pw2566ch said:

@branthog said:

@grantheaslip said:

@salad10203 said:

I think Salad10203 is right it's not DDR5 i'm sure its GDDR5. Which is alot more readily available.

That's quite an understatement, because I'm pretty sure DDR5 doesn't exist yet and DDR4 is just hitting production. :) -- So, I assumed we were all referencing GDDR5 as there isn't anything to differentiate it from at the moment (I don't even know if there is a spec for DDR5, yet?).

GPU memory and system memory are different beasts, but these are custom-purposed systems and I suspect that the engineering and materials needed to provide separate system and GPU memory exceeded the expense of just using GDDR5 for both with negligible systems impact. It would be a far better option than going the other way around (all DDR3, with some dedicated for the GPU).

Anyway, the point is that there is one type of memory. There is 8gb of it. It services both the system and the video, which is what the original poster was saying wasn't going to be the case.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#46  Edited By big_jon

This thing sounds way more beast than I was expecting it to.

PandaBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@kidavenger said:

My uncle called his uncle to tell him it wont have 8 gigs or DDR5.

MY UNCLE WORKS AT NINTENDO AND HE HAS A NEW GAME BOY AND IT HAS 19 GIGAHERTZ OF RAMS!!!

Miketakon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Oh yea? PROVE IT I WANT PICS TOO

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@magzine said:

@donpixel said:

...not gddr 5.

Unless if cars are cheap nowadays, so audis are affordable.

I'm no millionaire but I got used to new iPhone every year, had 2 iPads already, plus McBook Air... guess what I'm trying to say is: I don't mind paying for Technology, I do mind paying for crappy Technology, I rather pay $500 for a PS4 than $200 for a Wii-U.

I spend most of my day working and playing on computer devices, I might as well shoot for the good ones.