• 81 results
#51 Posted by Marino (4653 posts) -

@GnaTSoL said:

Can I suggest not banning people just for mentioning they go banned? A reply would be nice.

That makes no sense.

Staff Online
#52 Posted by JCHenderson (121 posts) -

I have been a member for years and really just a lurker on the forums. I find most stories and the linked comments to laborious to run through because of the first/looks great kind of comments. Has a upvote downvote on comments been tested? I would be nice to see the cream rise to the top.

#53 Posted by jerseyscum (870 posts) -

@JCHenderson said:

I have been a member for years and really just a lurker on the forums. I find most stories and the linked comments to laborious to run through because of the first/looks great kind of comments. Has a upvote downvote on comments been tested? I would be nice to see the cream rise to the top.

No! No! No!

Downvoting or ANY kind of reputation system is website cancer. Don't turn Giant Bomb into a bullshit popularity contest duders! Nothing is lamer than getting low reputation ratings or downvotes for angering fanboys and douchebags.

#54 Posted by GERALTITUDE (3226 posts) -

I'm gonna be a jerk and say the last time I asked a mod a question about rules I just got referred to the rules link, so, don't PM them. Just read the rules. :D

#55 Posted by Abendlaender (2783 posts) -

"Don't be jerk" is generally a good advice.

#56 Posted by NMC2008 (1237 posts) -

As long as forum mods don't lose their shit like NeoGAF mods and ban you because you have a difference of opinion than the majority or personal politics then everything will be fine. Thanks.

#57 Posted by MattyFTM (14367 posts) -

@Lego_My_Eggo said:

@Subjugation said:

@StarFoxA said:

Any chance there are going to be rules against just saying "First" on every article/video?

Oh please, this. I hope that it stops now that quests aren't a thing, but for some reason I have this nagging fear that it will happen anyway.

Before we had that quest i don't think i ever saw one person do that on this site so it should be ok, but there are more new people on here so who knows.

Before we had that quest, "First" comments were extremely prevalent. Literally the only thing people would say would be "First". The quest was actually intended to cause people to be more creative, because simply posting "First" does not grant the quest. Unfortunately all it actually encouraged were similar low-value comments that did grant the quest.

@iAmJohn said:

What is the point of this, if you don't mind me asking? Seems kind of silly to ban people who are good wiki writers but bad forum posters from both and vice versa.

The point is that these people don't exist. If you can't follow simple rules like "Don't plagiarize" on the wiki after warnings that your account will be disabled if you continue, you're probably not going worry about being a jerk on the forums. And if you're an asshole on the forums, you're probably not going to be too concerned with the wiki rules.

I personally would rather have separate wiki and forum bans still. But that's probably more because I fear change than anything else. I totally understand the logic of the staff on implementing a singular, site-wide ban system rather than separate bans from the wiki and forums.

@JCHenderson said:

In the early days of the site, there was a +/- voting system on posts and comments. It didn't work. People downvoted good comments that they didn't agree with, and upvoted bad ones that they did agree with. And that was when the site was a much smaller, tight knit community. It's a bigger, more volatile place these days so the issue would be multiplied ten fold.

#58 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

@Gamer_152 said:

@AlwaysBeClothing said:

Is "Brad is leaving" almost a bannable offense on the new site? I feel like it should be.

and it genuinely upsets users.

Really?

#59 Posted by ZombiePie (5636 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

@Ravenlight said:

@iAmJohn said:

What is the point of this, if you don't mind me asking? Seems kind of silly to ban people who are good wiki writers but bad forum posters from both and vice versa.

Going on gut feeling, I'd wager that if someone is bad enough to get banned from one, they're probably not very good at the other.

Or if they get banned from one, it may cause them to go apeshit in the other. Like a user that gets banned from the forums going on a vandalizing rampage through the wiki.

This has also happened before...so many times....

#60 Posted by beej (1674 posts) -

@Fobwashed said:

@Lego_My_Eggo said:

@Subjugation said:

@StarFoxA said:

Any chance there are going to be rules against just saying "First" on every article/video?

Oh please, this. I hope that it stops now that quests aren't a thing, but for some reason I have this nagging fear that it will happen anyway.

Before we had that quest i don't think i ever saw one person do that on this site so it should be ok, but there are more new people on here so who knows.

It'd be too confusing a rule to enforce. Most people online know not to be jerks and that being an ass might result in a ban but it's too much to ask the general populace to know that commenting with a "first" type comment would result in a ban. People will always want to be seen at the topside of comments so they'll always post something without reading/watching the content -_-;; I'd think a better option would be if you could up/down vote comments with downvoted ones automatically being collapsed but we can't all have what we want =)

This could be resolved with a warning system. If someone is genuinely unaware a PM or comment from a mod would be enough to correct the behavior.

#61 Posted by jerseyscum (870 posts) -

@ZombiePie said:

@Hailinel said:

@Ravenlight said:

@iAmJohn said:

Going on gut feeling, I'd wager that if someone is bad enough to get banned from one, they're probably not very good at the other.

Or if they get banned from one, it may cause them to go apeshit in the other. Like a user that gets banned from the forums going on a vandalizing rampage through the wiki.

If you gotta go out....do it in style.

#62 Posted by Reisz (1481 posts) -

@jerseyscum said:

@ZombiePie said:

@Hailinel said:

@Ravenlight said:

@iAmJohn said:

If you gotta go out....do it in style.

Better to temper one's self and not have to go out at all.

#63 Posted by csl316 (8412 posts) -

Great, cool.

#64 Posted by GnaTSoL (793 posts) -

@Marino said:

@GnaTSoL said:

Can I suggest not banning people just for mentioning they go banned? A reply would be nice.

That makes no sense.

I got banned for talking on the forum about a ban placed prior on myself. Makes all kinds of sense. Nice try making me look like the fool.

#65 Posted by Sweep (8841 posts) -

@StarFoxA said:

There will be no official rule, but I shall continue to remove any such comments as and when they appear.

#66 Posted by Sweep (8841 posts) -

@AlwaysBeClothing said:

Is "Brad is leaving" almost a bannable offense on the new site? I feel like it should be.

We won't ban people straight-up for this, though spreading stupid rumours about the staff definitely falls into the "Being a jerk" category, yes.

@Animasta said:

If I could add something, I'd really like if there was something that said someone was banned, like an avatar; even if it was just their minibio or something. I mean obviously not for the spambots but I totally didn't even know was banned until someone said so like 3 months later.

This is unlikely to ever happen.

#67 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4337 posts) -
@Sweep

@StarFoxA said:

There will be no official rule, but I shall continue to remove any such comments as and when they appear.

Fighting the good fight.
#68 Posted by Blu3V3nom07 (4191 posts) -

This feels like we're all on a trip to Graceland, and we're all being told to keep our hands in our pockets and behave. ~ I like these rules though! :)

#69 Posted by jakob187 (21663 posts) -

@Marino said:

DON'T BE A JERK.

I'm fucked.

#70 Posted by SpaceRunaway (861 posts) -

Oh, that's what happened to Jay.

#71 Posted by Nekroskop (2786 posts) -

Reddit, pls go.

#72 Posted by StarFoxA (5146 posts) -

@Sweep said:

@StarFoxA said:

You're the hero Giant Bomb deserves.

#73 Posted by Fobwashed (1975 posts) -

@ahaisthisourchance said:

Reddit, pls go.

That joke was old before, now it's just sad -_-;; If a bad suggestion means banishment to reddit (which I've never used but I hear is a decent source of internet material), I wonder what your awesome contribution to this conversation should result in? My guess is that I should respond by asking you to go back to one of the other scapegoat websites here. So. . .

Ahem. Go back to Kotaku/IGN/GameSpot/GameFaqs!

#74 Edited by Nekroskop (2786 posts) -

I think I'll stay here, away from upvoting and funny picture+caption.

#75 Posted by leinad44 (506 posts) -

Could we have the word hipster banned?

#76 Posted by egg (1455 posts) -

I THINK GB is conspiring to ban me, and this is just them doubling their chances of it.

#77 Posted by MB (12247 posts) -

@Branthog said:

requires you to acknowledge that you've been moderated and then read a brief explanation written by the person who performed the moderation before continuing with the site. As soon as you load a page after the activity has occurred, it just throws a little pop-up that basically says "Hey, we did XYZ, because you wrote ABC. Please blah blah blah in the future or blah blah blah." I'm not sure how the system really works here and I know moderators will PM people privately after some moderation activities, but it should be a streamlined process that happens as the moderator is committing the action to the system.

Maybe I can shed some light on how things are currently done on Giant Bomb.

When we have to warn someone, we send them a private message that is also copied to all other moderators and logged in a Google document. When this message is sent, we temporarily revoke their posting privileges but leave their ability to reply to private messages active. We require a response acknowledging that what they did was against the rules, and that they have now read the rule(s) in question and understand what they are. If no response is received or the response is unsatisfactory, their posting privileges are simply not reinstated. Sometimes the response is so abusive that we just ban these people...someone who tells a moderator to go fuck himself when politely asked to stop doing a certain thing isn't someone we want around on the site, regardless of their previous moderation history, or lack of one.

Unfortunately, none of this is really automated, but it only takes a few seconds to do all of what I described above. We have found it to be far more effective than simply sending warnings via private message - historically these were ignored or in many cases never read at all. Of course it took us nearly five years to arrive at a process that is actually effective and soon we're going to a whole new set of tools, but that's how it goes.

#78 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7076 posts) -
@phrosnite

I knew things would get bad eventually. CBS-itus.

God I hope you're not serious.
#79 Edited by DystopiaX (5300 posts) -

@Lego_My_Eggo said:

@Subjugation said:

@StarFoxA said:

It'd be too confusing a rule to enforce. Most people online know not to be jerks and that being an ass might result in a ban but it's too much to ask the general populace to know that commenting with a "first" type comment would result in a ban. People will always want to be seen at the topside of comments so they'll always post something without reading/watching the content -_-;; I'd think a better option would be if you could up/down vote comments with downvoted ones automatically being collapsed but we can't all have what we want =)

Does this ban system also have the ability for you to give out warnings? Just have them edit the post to delete it and then give them a warning, bans for repeat offenders.

#80 Edited by Chaser324 (6404 posts) -
#81 Posted by HellknightLeon (464 posts) -

Ban them all! Let Dave sort them out!