PSA: Help us help you, post your topics in the correct forum

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

Maybe it's due to the fact that PM notifications about topics being moved aren't working since the new site launched, but users posting every single topic into General Discussion has reached pandemic proportions...again. Please, for the sake of the mods' sanity and to help your fellow users better utilize the site, start posting your topics in the correct forums.

This is especially important if you want to discuss a certain game, or one of the new consoles. If you put it into General, it will be on the third or fourth page within hours and never seen again. Then, someone else will look in the PS4 forum to see if any has posted that new piece of news that just came out, won't see your topic because you put it in General, and now we have a duplicate topic (or more likely, duplicates) on our hands. Now, a moderator not only has to close at least one duplicate topic, but spend time drafting a response as to why it's being closed, provide links to the existing topics, and often field complaints from users whose topics have been closed down or deleted. All of this can be avoided by simply not putting every single topic into General Discussion. Another way that posting your topics and blogs in the appropriate forum can help the site is that your topics will be easily found forever. A couple of years down the line if someone is looking for topics on Hotline Miami, they aren't going to be looking on page 1739 of General...they're going to be looking in the Hotline Miami forum.

Remember that almost everyone views the forums through the Newest feed. A common misconception about the forums is that your topic won't get many views or responses unless you lump it into General with everything else. In fact, it's quite the opposite. Topics in General get lost in the fold quickly and are usually never seen again, but if you get them into the appropriate forum, users from that point on will always be able to see your thread when they go looking for topics on that subject...and since most people view the newest topics first, when your topic is new, the forum it's in is not a factor when it comes to initial exposure.

I know it sounds like common sense and I want to thank those of you that try to use the most appropriate forum for your threads and blogs whenever you can, but lately the moderators have been spending a huge portion of our time on moving topics out of General. For example, I just moved almost a third of the topics on the first page of General Discussion to other boards. This can all be avoided and you can help save us a ton of work by taking those few extra moments when you're creating a new topic. It's a different system than most of you are used to, but it does work if you would just put a little effort in. Thanks everyone.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan
No Caption Provided

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

How do I Internet?

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

How do I Internet?

Says the person whose username is 89% Internet.

gkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By gkhan

How do I Internet?

You internet any way you want, kid, just as long as you sort your topics into the correct forum.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#6  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

GENERAL - for video games

OFF-TOPIC - For topics not related to video games.

Thanks!

StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

#7  Edited By StarFoxA

@winternet said:

How do I Internet?

Says the person whose username is 89% Internet.

I'm impressed, it actually is 89%.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Q: Does a CoD: Ghost or AC: IV thread belong in the PS4 forum?

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By mike

Q: Does a CoD: Ghost or AC: IV thread belong in the PS4 forum?

It really depends on what the topic is about...sometimes it could go either way.

EarlessShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

@mb: gotta say I'm glad you mentioned this. Although I should be more diligent, I usually end up searching a particular game's forum for a topic, and when not seeing it there I post it there. Usually that topic is somewhere buried in the general discussion. I could have searched there myself but, I guess that's the importance of placement eh?

How do I Internet?

By winning.

Lord_Xp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I'm glad I'm not the only person who noticed this. It was starting to annoy me a bit seeing these random ass topics that didn't belong here. But that's never going to change no matter which internet forum you go to.

TechDemoTREX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Okay, dumb question. How do blogs work? Do people just put (Blog) at the end of their topic title?

defe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Okay, dumb question. How do blogs work? Do people just put (Blog) at the end of their topic title?

Nah. Hover over your username at the top right of the page. The menu that drops down should have a "Blog" option. Click on that and you should see an option to create a new blog.

TechDemoTREX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@defe said:

@techdemotrex said:

Nah. Hover over your username at the top right of the page. The menu that drops down should have a "Blog" option. Click on that and you should see an option to create a new blog.

Thanks. I feel like I need a quick look video for the site.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Moving topics is currently not working, so this is more important than ever. Please, for the sake of our sanity, try to use the appropriate forums when possible and not just lump everything into General.

Thanks

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#17 chaser324  Moderator

Re-pinning this to the forum feed as a friendly reminder.

A lot of games are already getting announced and even more are going to get announced at E3 next week - please try to put game-specific discussion in that game's forum.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

Can you post blogs to game specific forums yet? Because that would probably help.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 chaser324  Moderator

Can you post blogs to game specific forums yet? Because that would probably help.

I know that stuff has been mostly broken for the past few months, but I think it actually is fixed at this point.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

@arbitrarywater said:

I know that stuff has been mostly broken for the past few months, but I think it actually is fixed at this point.

Fantastic! That has been a constant annoyance for the past while.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

@video_game_king: @grantheaslip: It totally worked for me. Even searching for the alias of "mgs3" worked.

Have you guys tried the standard sign out/in, clear cookies/cache, etc. sort of stuff?

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 chaser324  Moderator
mrpibb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

We just reindexed again, things should be working.